Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:58 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:28 am Fantastic!! Bagged sticks with sick hold and grippy balls. This is why the women's game is sooooo much prettier than the men's game. More, and better, passing, more movement all over the field and more two way players. Man, would I love to see the women's sticks brought to the men's game (yes, I know that aint never gonna happen).
We could eliminate the offset.

College swimming outlawed fastskins (for performance).
College baseball deadened bats (for safety & performance).
College bball moved the 3-point line back (for performance).
Golf outlaws specific clubs and balls (for performance).

We can eliminate offset heads / shafts.
Watching my son in a new youth league first game this year and a kid took his stick w ball over his head completely upside down while being in a tripled team and his stick being hit and the ball didn’t come out…
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Good game. Impressed with SU’s hustle and shooting in conditions they ironically aren’t used to dealing with.

Some sour grapes tho, the goal called off end of 1st was bs and Cuse did get a lot of help from the refs which they didn’t need. Hobart really lacks basic fundamentals when it comes to offensive passing. That really shows up in 3rd quarter when the game slipped away some.

Good luck rest of the season.
Finster

Post by Finster »

When was the last time Syracuse was ranked #3?

Seriously, I can't remember.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/DI/polls
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Covid year, I think 2020, Syracuse was undefeated and ranked #1 or 2, and Cornell coming off beating #1 PSU, to go to 5-0, was ranked #1 or 2, and then the seaon was canceled.

Would have been an unbelievable game that year between Cuse and Cornell.

Although this year's game April 2nd is shaping up to be a classic.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Finster

Post by Finster »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:48 pm Covid year, I think 2020, Syracuse was undefeated and ranked #1 or 2, and Cornell coming off beating #1 PSU, to go to 5-0, was ranked #1 or 2, and then the seaon was canceled.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Both Cuse and Cornell will be coming off of tough, mentally exhausting games just a few days prior to the 2nd. Cuse will have played at ND; Cornell will have played at Penn. Both games on the 30th. The only variable IMO (barring any weather issues; tentative forecast is showers) is that one-hour bus ride.

I think the last time the two squared up at Schoellkopf was 2018, and Cornell won 13-8?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Finster wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:14 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:48 pm Covid year, I think 2020, Syracuse was undefeated and ranked #1 or 2, and Cornell coming off beating #1 PSU, to go to 5-0, was ranked #1 or 2, and then the seaon was canceled.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Both Cuse and Cornell will be coming off of tough, mentally exhausting games just a few days prior to the 2nd. Cuse will have played at ND; Cornell will have played at Penn. Both games on the 30th. The only variable IMO (barring any weather issues; tentative forecast is showers) is that one-hour bus ride.

I think the last time the two squared up at Schoellkopf was 2018, and Cornell won 13-8?
Yup, remember the game well as that was at the height of Jeff Teats brilliance and his ability to control and takeover games.

Too bad the 2020 season was canceled as both Syracuse and Cornell were at the top of their games.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
lorin

Post by lorin »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:47 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Yup, remember the game well as that was at the height of Jeff Teats brilliance and his ability to control and takeover games.

Too bad the 2020 season was canceled as both Syracuse and Cornell were at the top of their games.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Army had a good team that year also
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:52 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:19 am
The Orfling wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:55 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:49 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:56 pm Best defensive/goaltending performance I think I have ever seen in the shot clock Era, against this type of opponent.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Was incredible, sat there thinking there's no way you can keep this kind of D up for four quarters.
They did, and it aint easy to shut that O down.
Girls did the same thing to NC. D shut their O down, gave up five goals. Two equally impressive D
performances.
Congrats, DMac, Syracuse looked so good! Amazing defense -- including one of the best single game showings by a goalie I've seen. Wow.

Long time 'Cuse watchers -- is "Dome-itis" a cause of some of the turnovers Duke had? Is there an adjustment period to the lights? They couldn't throw or catch for long stretches. I know that midweek games, bus legs, etc. are real, but wondering if you see this kind of thing a bit more in the Dome?
the issues with the dome used to be... you could not hear anything as either the lights or hvac had a very high pitched locust-like sound. literally couldn't scream at someone 15 feet away. and the end zones were silver/gray/white and you couldn't see the ball.

both of those have been eliminated. plus they've opened up the roof (for day games), and have primo lighting now. i didn't see dook missing catches. i saw their passes (and often shots) missing their mark. handcuffing people. often because they were being ragged. no asterisk on this one.
So carrier more or less winds down ops in the area and the hvac suddenly improves if what we’re saying?
basically, yeah. i think it was the hvac that got switched out, and before the new roof.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:55 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:52 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:19 am
The Orfling wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:55 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:49 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:56 pm Best defensive/goaltending performance I think I have ever seen in the shot clock Era, against this type of opponent.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Was incredible, sat there thinking there's no way you can keep this kind of D up for four quarters.
They did, and it aint easy to shut that O down.
Girls did the same thing to NC. D shut their O down, gave up five goals. Two equally impressive D
performances.
Congrats, DMac, Syracuse looked so good! Amazing defense -- including one of the best single game showings by a goalie I've seen. Wow.

Long time 'Cuse watchers -- is "Dome-itis" a cause of some of the turnovers Duke had? Is there an adjustment period to the lights? They couldn't throw or catch for long stretches. I know that midweek games, bus legs, etc. are real, but wondering if you see this kind of thing a bit more in the Dome?
the issues with the dome used to be... you could not hear anything as either the lights or hvac had a very high pitched locust-like sound. literally couldn't scream at someone 15 feet away. and the end zones were silver/gray/white and you couldn't see the ball.

both of those have been eliminated. plus they've opened up the roof (for day games), and have primo lighting now. i didn't see dook missing catches. i saw their passes (and often shots) missing their mark. handcuffing people. often because they were being ragged. no asterisk on this one.
So carrier more or less winds down ops in the area and the hvac suddenly improves if what we’re saying?
basically, yeah. i think it was the hvac that got switched out, and before the new roof.
The Dome system was re-done going into 2021, prior to that there was AC at all, only heat. As such in early fall and later part of the lax schedule there was nothing running when the temps were decent. I have to say I have no idea what wgdsr is referencing regarding an HVAC or lighting noise, I've been in the Dome hundreds of times during all times of the year I can't recall ever hearing any sort of HVAC noise. Certainly in big games it gets loud especially for football but I've had plenty of converations for all games with zero issue. The benches have been and are a grey/silver color and will be for another few months until SU goes to single seats versus the current benches. Again I am not aware of any major color scheme change in the endzones over the years unless your talking about the bleachers but they haven't changed.

The Lighting for sure has improved over the years that is 100% accurate. At times during a night game it felt like you were playing underground though that was back in the 80s and 90's as it improved somewhat in the 2000s. With the redo in 2020 and 2021 the lighting was significantly upgraded and is now excellent.

Lastly while it would be nice I can assure you the Dome roof does not open, it's more transparent with what they use now versus the prior Dome material but it's a permanent closed structure.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:47 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Hobart was right behind them that year as well. Played Cuse and it ended up a 6-7 goal game but not the vibe of the game. Probably Raymond’s best team in Geneva. Could’ve had a big CNY spring
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Will Mark SU goalie on the podcast this week.

Impressive.

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... se-e2hlkdk
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

LaxAllStars wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am Will Mark SU goalie on the podcast this week.

Impressive.

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... se-e2hlkdk
That was a great interview.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Does Will Mark have another year of eligibility?
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm Does Will Mark have another year of eligibility?
No, he is all done after this year, unfortunately.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Powellfan22 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm Does Will Mark have another year of eligibility?
No, he is all done after this year, unfortunately.
Disagree on that last word... :D
Finster

Post by Finster »

I certainly didn’t expect to win today, but I think this loss showed bigtime character from The Orange.

Down 12-7 and really winning very few faceoffs, it looked like this game could spiral really out of control.

Instead, Syracuse ground out some possessions and goals. From a character standpoint, you can count this game as a win. I don’t think Syracuse will win the NCAA championship this year, but they will solidly contend next two years. The vast majority of the team is sophomore, with really only the goalie spot questionable for next year (I think Mullen will ease the loss of Kohn at FO).
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Finster wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:57 pm I certainly didn’t expect to win today, but I think this loss showed bigtime character from The Orange.

Down 12-7 and really winning very few faceoffs, it looked like this game could spiral really out of control.

Instead, Syracuse ground out some possessions and goals. From a character standpoint, you can count this game as a win. I don’t think Syracuse will win the NCAA championship this year, but they will solidly contend next two years. The vast majority of the team is sophomore, with really only the goalie spot questionable for next year (I think Mullen will ease the loss of Kohn at FO).
Can you explain to me the Spallina hype? I never see the guy do much against tough teams. Against crappy teams he lights it up. But when they need him to be the super star he is touted to be....he does very little and has a ton of turnovers..... typically turnover -> change of possession -> goal or shot from other team. I genuinely want to know why all the hype?
Finster

Post by Finster »

Madlax59 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:10 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:57 pm I certainly didn’t expect to win today, but I think this loss showed bigtime character from The Orange.

Can you explain to me the Spallina hype? I never see the guy do much against tough teams. Against crappy teams he lights it up. But when they need him to be the super star he is touted to be....he does very little and has a ton of turnovers..... typically turnover -> change of possession -> goal or shot from other team. I genuinely want to know why all the hype?

I never really know how to answer this question. We can all agree that Joey is a very good player. What I believe gets missed in these games by folks who don’t often see him is, opposing teams are very focused on where he is all the time. More importantly, the defender assigned to him is fairly well hyped up to cover him. In spite of that, he still gets his points, maybe not 7-8 goals, but his presence is felt regardless.

I’d also say that very few observers are claiming he’s got Shellenberger’s 1 on 1 dodging.

The hype, to the extent it’s hype, mostly comes from inside lacrosse and TLN. IL has a few Cuse homers who pump us up every week. It is what it is, man. Not Joey’s fault there.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Why do you care?

Hype is just that, nothing really.
coda

Post by coda »

I think he is a very good player. He is a bit over- hyped, but that isn’t his fault. He is a high IQ player with a deadly stick. He isn’t a great athlete, so dodging can be an issue. It’s a bigger issue as Cuse doesn’t have the most athletic attack. That puts a lot of pressure on him. He is more Stanwick, than Shellenberger.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”