Maryland 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
jff97

Maryland 2024

Post by jff97 »

Terps have flown a little under the radar to start this year but are off to a pretty good start. Wins over Cuse at the Dome and Denver in altitude before beating JMU today. The Florida loss isn't great but this season looks pretty wide open so far.

Not sure I'd call Maryland a Final Four team, but I think they have a good shot to be a Top 8 seed. They're solid on defense and the draw and have shown a little more mettle this year against better teams. If they can find a way to be more efficient on offense, look out.

Anyone else have thoughts?
Essexfenwick

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by Essexfenwick »

jff97 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:40 pm Terps have flown a little under the radar to start this year but are off to a pretty good start. Wins over Cuse at the Dome and Denver in altitude before beating JMU today. The Florida loss isn't great but this season looks pretty wide open so far.

Not sure I'd call Maryland a Final Four team, but I think they have a good shot to be a Top 8 seed. They're solid on defense and the draw and have shown a little more mettle this year against better teams. If they can find a way to be more efficient on offense, look out.

They have the most upside on offense with threats everywhere and dangerous players on the bench developing. It all depends on the goalie who is overrated in general but occasionally plays great.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:48 pm
jff97 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:40 pm Terps have flown a little under the radar to start this year but are off to a pretty good start. Wins over Cuse at the Dome and Denver in altitude before beating JMU today. The Florida loss isn't great but this season looks pretty wide open so far.

They have the most upside on offense with threats everywhere and dangerous players on the bench developing. It all depends on the goalie who is overrated in general but occasionally plays great.
I'd probably go with inconsistent at times rather than overrated. Even in the Florida game she still had 11 saves. But the defense has been better as a unit this year and it makes her job much easier.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Jmu game a big win for Maryland. Cuse, jmu and Denver is a great resume and the defense looked very strong today.
Florida loss I think will age well as I think Florida is playing very well ow and has found its form after stumbling out of the gates against unc and Loyola.
I think they are a top 5 team right now and can beat anyone on any given day. And they are battle tested with a strong schedule and tough games to come.
If I’m Cathy Reese, I like what I am seeing right now….
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Everyone should be concerned with Maryland right now!
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Maryland has Final Four talent that can beat anyone.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:03 pm Everyone should be concerned with Maryland right now!
I think they are solidly in the second tier of teams with UNC,ND,Cuse,JMU, Denver, Loyola, etc.

Can cause lots of trouble, but depth is nowhere near NU or BC.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Little bit of a misleading score today. Maryland was only up 6-5 at the end of the third quarter. Defense is solid, but I'm still not sure there's enough offense to be a legit contender. Still struggling against zone defenses.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

2 more wins this week, though today against Rutgers wasn't exactly a great performance. Let Rutgers get hang around even though it never really felt like they put pressure on Maryland. The biggest issue this team has is their offense can't put together a 60 minute game. The defense is pretty consistent and the offense gets goals when needed but never comes at you for a full game.
But because everyone keeps beating everyone, the Terps have a chance to be No. 1 in the polls tomorrow. I'm sure if it does happen, we'll get a long diatribe from a certain poster about how pro-Maryland bias is back in women's lacrosse media.
Two tough tests await this week against similar minded teams in Penn and Michigan. Both not great on offense but strong on defense like the Terps, though Maryland is a little more efficient on offense than both. My guess is they beat Penn and then lose at Michigan, as Michigan isn't playing a midweek game this week.
Not fully sold on this team yet, but I don't think anyone is fully sold on any team yet. In a year like this, why not the Terps?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

jff97 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:28 pm the Terps have a chance to be No. 1 in the polls tomorrow. I'm sure if it does happen, we'll get a long diatribe from a certain poster about how pro-Maryland bias is back in women's lacrosse media.
Yeah--I don't read IL Women or USA Lacrosse magazine anymore. Nor do I give a shidt who ranks whom where. It's all people's opinions anyway. Coaches are subject to bias just like anyone else. You should do your own poll. You think it would be any less legitimate than theirs? I assign more significance to Seacoaster's rankings, or hmmm's rankings.

And what do you care what I write anyway? Who tf am I that you should care what I think of your little turtles or women's lacrosse media, or anything else for that matter?

You know and I know and anyone who knows anything about the flag trimmed rippling beauties and their illustrious past knows that the only thing that is of any real import or significance is number 16. All the rest of it--#1 rankings, winning regular season games, winning Big 10 Tournament games, or even the Big 10 conference championship--is just been-there-done-that Oliver Twist gruel. I know Maryland fans can't possibly be satisfied with those plastic trinkets compared to the gold national hardware. If I was a Maryland fan (violent shudder) I know I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less.

Just having a little fun. Sounds like bile but it's more bullshidt than anything. Just channeling a little Essexfenwick back atcha.

I have to say though--I like when you terrapins fans start getting your little hopes up. "the Terps have a chance to be No. 1 in the polls tomorrow." Well, gee and wow!

I don't care who wins the national championship just as long as it ain't the chelonians. As I say--just poking the little turtle with a little stick--Essexfenwick style.

As you were.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Well my jab was matched with another, probably more a knockout punch in this case. Obviously the expectation when you come to Maryland is to try to win a title. For me as a fan this year I thought they could have a good season but was in a wait and see approach. I think they've shown more mettle this year but not sure they have the offense to truly be a contender. They have a lot of capable players. Just no superstar.
I don't think Cathy Reese cares about the ranking either but that's the approach she's taken her whole career. One game at a time and appreciate the little things along the way. Here's what she said after the game today.
“We have a whole other level we haven’t reached yet. We need to have a level of consistency in order to, you know, keep getting better this season.”
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

jff97 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:26 pm Well my jab was matched with another, probably more a knockout punch in this case. Obviously the expectation when you come to Maryland is to try to win a title. For me as a fan this year I thought they could have a good season but was in a wait and see approach. I think they've shown more mettle this year but not sure they have the offense to truly be a contender. They have a lot of capable players. Just no superstar.
I don't think Cathy Reese cares about the ranking either but that's the approach she's taken her whole career. One game at a time and appreciate the little things along the way. Here's what she said after the game today.
“We have a whole other level we haven’t reached yet. We need to have a level of consistency in order to, you know, keep getting better this season.”
She said exactly what I’ve been saying
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland's Newly Renovated Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex

Enough of this Twerp Twaddle about the Newly Renovated Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex and how state-of-the-art great it is. The field sucks. Like falling on concrete with a rug over it. The Astro Turf skin burns are brutal. They did nothing to renovate that. I've heard enough players weigh in to know they hate playing on it. And the visitors locker room? (HA!) Finally got a decent view of it. No renovation went into that room.

hmmm

Re: Maryland's Newly Renovated Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 pm Enough of this Twerp Twaddle about the Newly Renovated Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex and how state-of-the-art great it is. The field sucks. Like falling on concrete with a rug over it. The Astro Turf skin burns are brutal. They did nothing to renovate that. I've heard enough players weigh in to know they hate playing on it. And the visitors locker room? (HA!) Finally got a decent view of it. No renovation went into that room.

Well, they play field hockey there so not exactly sure what you expect them to do about it. MD isn't the only school that plays lax on FH turf. And the visitor's locker room there isn't much different than at most schools. I know you like to hate on MD but this seems like you're reaching. The new facility is beautiful and was well past due for the most historic program in the history of the sport.

The field is actually quite soft and the "astro turf skin burns" are actually less severe there than at normal turf fields which are must closer to old astro turf than the FH turf.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Maryland's Newly Renovated Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex

hmmm wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 pm Enough of this Twerp Twaddle about the Newly Renovated Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex and how state-of-the-art great it is. The field sucks. Like falling on concrete with a rug over it. The Astro Turf skin burns are brutal. They did nothing to renovate that. I've heard enough players weigh in to know they hate playing on it. And the visitors locker room? (HA!) Finally got a decent view of it. No renovation went into that room.
Well, they play field hockey there so not exactly sure what you expect them to do about it. MD isn't the only school that plays lax on FH turf. And the visitor's locker room there isn't much different than at most schools. I know you like to hate on MD but this seems like you're reaching. The new facility is beautiful and was well past due for the most historic program in the history of the sport.

The field is actually quite soft and the "astro turf skin burns" are actually less severe there than at normal turf fields which are must closer to old astro turf than the FH turf.
I've heard from enough players to know whereof I speak--on both the field and the "locker room". And I wouldn't have a problem with the Terps and their renovations if I didn't have to hear about them ad infinitum, ad nauseum every time a game is streamed/televised from the Weird Field this year.

And spare me the "hate on" phraseology--unless you want to reexamine your recent comments on Madison Taylor...
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Visitor locker rooms? Don't think I've been in a fancy, nice one. From Northwestern to Notre Dame to Syracuse to UNC to U Name It. Some P5 schools don't even have one. :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:58 am Visitor locker rooms? Don't think I've been in a fancy, nice one. From Northwestern to Notre Dame to Syracuse to UNC to U Name It. Some P5 schools don't even have one.
I have no doubt. My beef with the Twerps is their incessant crowing about how pissa the renovations make their facility. No crowing, no pointing out the crappy field and undersized bare bones locker room.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:53 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:58 am Visitor locker rooms? Don't think I've been in a fancy, nice one. From Northwestern to Notre Dame to Syracuse to UNC to U Name It. Some P5 schools don't even have one.
I have no doubt. My beef with the Twerps is their incessant crowing about how pissa the renovations make their facility. No crowing, no pointing out the crappy field and undersized bare bones locker room.
If you are really expecting BTN to criticize anything other than what happens on the field, than I really don't know what to tell you. And no facility ever has planned to make upgrades to a visiting locker room. Do you really think any school would ask donors to give money for something that doesn't benefit their team? No team has ever bragged about their visitors locker room. I'm sure as a Boston native you've heard stories about the old Boston Garden.

We can have the discussion about the field, but when the project was announced it never said the upgrade was coming to the field. It was coming to the building, and they wanted to make it somewhere players wanted to be and spend time, which in college athletics today might be more important to coaches than where they actually play the games. If you share a field with a field hockey team, you're going to play on turf because that sport has to be played on turf. I have no inside info on whether MD will ever get a lacrosse only stadium like some other schools, but I do know it would be tough to do in a way that connects to the current campus footprint.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

jff97 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:19 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:53 am
If you are really expecting BTN to criticize anything other than what happens on the field, than I really don't know what to tell you. And no facility ever has planned to make upgrades to a visiting locker room. Do you really think any school would ask donors to give money for something that doesn't benefit their team? No team has ever bragged about their visitors locker room. I'm sure as a Boston native you've heard stories about the old Boston Garden.

We can have the discussion about the field, but when the project was announced it never said the upgrade was coming to the field. It was coming to the building, and they wanted to make it somewhere players wanted to be and spend time, which in college athletics today might be more important to coaches than where they actually play the games. If you share a field with a field hockey team, you're going to play on turf because that sport has to be played on turf. I have no inside info on whether MD will ever get a lacrosse only stadium like some other schools, but I do know it would be tough to do in a way that connects to the current campus footprint.
Yeah, the only real option would be to have lacrosse at Ludwig but Sasho won't allow anything other than soccer to be played there on the grass.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”