2024 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
VALaxer

2024 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VALaxer »

With all schools now started and Woodson Fall Ball schedules out (at least week 1), figured no better time than now to start up a new thread for the 2024 season. Hopefully we will have some active and civil discourse on here. It should be an interesting season that seems like it could be wide open looking from here. What is everyone's thoughts :?:
Robolobo

Re: 2024 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by Robolobo »

Any observations from Woodson Fall Ball league?
StackO

Post by StackO »

I would say as a coach involved the biggest thing I’ve seen is the lack of commitment from players. Every team barely fielding enough to play. Happens every year but this year seems more extreme than others.

Haven’t seen a real juggernaut yet.
Robolobo

Post by Robolobo »

StackO wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:14 am I would say as a coach involved the biggest thing I’ve seen is the lack of commitment from players. Every team barely fielding enough to play. Happens every year but this year seems more extreme than others.

Haven’t seen a real juggernaut yet.
Not surprising. I think post-Covid, everything is back and open, so more conflicts. I also think almost all the major travel clubs in the area practice Sundays, so that creates conflict as well.

I agree on not seeing a real juggernaut that's a clear favorite. I've seen some good teams, but many games I've seen are generally competitive if teams have a bulk of their squads there. The Spring should be interesting.
Robolobo

Post by Robolobo »

It's been quiet on here for a while. But the out-of-season is now over and real lax is about to begin. Excited to have the season starting soon. I think there are a handful of really good teams this year, and not an obvious clear favorite, so this could be one of the more interesting seasons in a while.
ExLax

Post by ExLax »

Kudos to Robolobo for keeping the conversation going in the off months.

My prediction is that 2024 could already be labelled as 'The Year of the Card' even before it begins. EVERY instruction material I have seen from USAL, NFHS, and VHSL highlights protecting players and enforcing the rules by all involved - administrators, coaches, officials, players. Teams need to be disciplined and fundamentally sound or they will incur player down situations to more severe.
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

Man, this forum has been quiet. What happened to the olden days? With the axe set to fall for the Northern District rosters (if it hasn't already), setting up contenders and pretenders (participation trophy anyone?) we are only days away from the Ol' Buckster's preseason Class 6A rankings. But will that even bring the masses back to fanlax?
StackO

Post by StackO »

Let’s go!
BuckyLou

It's Here!

Post by BuckyLou »

With rosters set and the VHSL scrimmages underway, you know it had to be time to debut the Quarter Pounder Fanlax Buckylou top 15 preseason VHLS Class 6 poll. That’s right, the Ol’ Buckster has jumped the shark on the NIL sponsorship train and, in honor of the shift to quarters this year, went out and got the McDonald’s Quarter Pounder as a sponsor. This year is much more open in all classes than many recent seasons, so it should be a great season settled on the field.

Without further ado, my top 15 VHSL Class 6 teams for the preseason are:

1) Robinson – Last time we saw them, Oakton was blowing them out in a smoky St James (indoor) state semi-final game (blame Canada…). While they lost some key seniors, they have A LOT back (including 2 first team all-staters and 3? Starting goalies) and have something to prove this year. This could be the year that they put it all together to bring home the title for Coach Prosser.

2) Yorktown
– I was high on them at the start last year, but they went through a championship hangover coming off of 2022. Now the hunted is the hunter and they seem to have all of their puzzle pieces back on the table to make a run at a 2nd title in 3 years. Coach Tran will have them ready.

3) Battlefield – The two-time state runners up finally got over the hump and started beating Northern District teams last year. Good thing too, as the VHSL has updated the state playoff brackets to no longer give then 2-byes to the state final. Fortunately for them they won’t need them this year, as they are very capable of making it there on their own.

4) Madison – Oakton’s nemesis and one of the most consistent teams in the state, a credit to their coach, Jean Counts. She loses one all-state daughter to graduation, but has another D1 commit one right there to fill in. Expect the Warhawks to be near the top all year.

5) Woodson – I was trying to remember the name of that guy who used to coach them (Bill? something) as Coach Schneider is making people forget as he continues to hang banners. Still the elusive trophy at the end of the year has eluded him. With one of the best players in the state in Cuviello back, could this be the year?

6) Langley – The Laxin’ Saxons hope to remind Yorktown who owned the Liberty District before they took over. A young roster from the last couple of years is getting older and is loaded with talent. Can they find a way to regain the glory this year?

7) South Lakes – Much like their namesakes in the NFL, the Seahawks put together solid teams but seem to be forgotten about a lot. This team has the talent to challenge Madison for the Concorde District and will make people remember them.

Tie) Centreville – Those of you who have been following along at home know the Buckster loves ties that ultimately get settled on the field. This one will at some point too. But I would take a BBQ battle too if the Wildcats wanted to have one.

9) West Potomac – The team not named Woodson that is most likely to keep Robinson from a Patriot District title. Despite some graduation losses, they return a solid group of seniors and have moved on from the parent-coaching era.

10) Westfield – Another team returning some talent. Got beat up a little in a tough Concorde District last year, but that should get easier this year and give them more opportunities to crack the top half.

11) Oakton – The defending champs lost the top player in the state in Aly Yee-Jenkins and 2 more 1st team all-staters. This is clearly a rebuilding year, but they have some championship DNA that should help keep them competitive.

12) McLean – The Highlanders were up and coming last year and actually had a top 20 season in the computer numbers. Can they continue that upward trajectory?

13) Cosby – The Huxtables don’t get a lot of attention being downstate, but they had a young squad that went 17-2 last year and have a lot back that should make them a favorite in their region.

14) Lake Braddock – The Bears hope the badluck can end as they enter Year 2 of the Victor Chen era (it’s been a long time since we’ve said that…). This team has some talent returning and looks to crack into the top 4 of the Patriot District.

Tie) West Springfield – Couldn’t get by without one more tie that will be settled on the field. Coach Puhlick loses the regional POY for the second year in a row, but hopes he has enough coming back to hold off the rival Bruins to remain in the top half of the Patriot District.

Also considered: Falls Church, Justice, Edison, Freedom
Dr. Tact

Re: It's Here!

Post by Dr. Tact »

BuckyLou wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:20 am With rosters set and the VHSL scrimmages underway, you know it had to be time to debut the Quarter Pounder Fanlax Buckylou top 15 preseason VHLS Class 6 poll. That’s right, the Ol’ Buckster has jumped the shark on the NIL sponsorship train and, in honor of the shift to quarters this year, went out and got the McDonald’s Quarter Pounder as a sponsor. This year is much more open in all classes than many recent seasons, so it should be a great season settled on the field.

Without further ado, my top 15 VHSL Class 6 teams for the preseason are:

1) Robinson – Last time we saw them, Oakton was blowing them out in a smoky St James (indoor) state semi-final game (blame Canada…). While they lost some key seniors, they have A LOT back (including 2 first team all-staters and 3? Starting goalies) and have something to prove this year. This could be the year that they put it all together to bring home the title for Coach Prosser.

I hear that coach Tim has put together a star studded coaching staff with D1 experience.... well that help get robo over the top? The two young coaches come with 3 VA state championships as players each....
laxoversoccer

Post by laxoversoccer »

Games start this week with some great ones. This week's schedule for BucklyLou's Top 6.

Robinson
Wed - Langley (H)
Fri - Yorktown (H)
Sat - Holton Arms (A - Woodson)
Sat - Battlefield (A - Woodson)

Yorktown
Wed - Centerville (H)
Fri - Robinson (A)

Battlefield
Wed - Lightridge (H)
Sat - Woodson (A - Woodson)
Sat - Robinson (A - Woodson)

Madison
Wed - Riverside (A)
Fri - West Potomac (H)

Woodson
Wed - Oakton (H)
Sat - Battlefield (H)
Sat - Langley (H)

Langley
Wed - Robinson (A)
Fri - Centerville (H)
Sat - Woodson (A - Woodson)
Robolobo

Post by Robolobo »

Lot's of big games tonight and this weekend to help sort things out. Too hard to do odds just yet, but maybe I will be back with some next week.
BuckyLou

March Madness - Week 1 Poll

Post by BuckyLou »

What a start to the 2024 season. The Buckster can't remember an opening week with so many big games and movement amongst top teams. Like March Madness anything seems possible. Parity seems to be the overall theme this year in Class 6. The poll could change daily depending on when it is done. But with the big weekend over and Monday night madness out of the way to complete only 1 week of the season, it's time to unveil the new Quarter Pounder Bucky Lou top 15.

1) Madison (3-0) - The Warhawks were my top team after the weekend and solidified it when they ran the clock on previously undefeated Westfield on Monday. I figured they would be there at the end, just didn't see them climbing to the top this quick. Coach Counts may be the best in the area, but can she keep them here in a crazy year?

2) Langley (3-0) - The Saxons have an impressive start with wins over Robinson, CVille, and Battlefield and it's reminding me of the days of the underground bunker in McLean. It's a little concerning about some message board reports of bad sportsmanship from some Saxon fans. Molly and Mortimer would not be happy. The focus should be on good lacrosse and celebrating the talent on the field, no matter what team its on, as Langley has a lot of it on the field on their side this year.

3) Robinson (3-1) – The Buckster admits that, after opening night, I was worried as the #1 team went down and #2 dominated. Then the Rams went our and made me look good (or just lucky) and beat Yorktown as part of a 3-0 Saturday proving they are still a force to be reckoned with. With the Cavs falling off, the Rams look like a solid bet in the Patriot, but in this crazy year, who knows?

4) Yorktown (2-1) – After opening night, they looked like they were ready to take the #1 spot, but a close loss to the Rams holds them back this time. With a date with #1 and #2 coming next month, they may still get there in the end.

5) South Lakes (5-0) - The Seahawks are once again off to a hot start with a 5-0 opening week and look to be the challenger to Madison in the Concorde, with the Warhawks owning a win already over the Bulldogs.

6) Battlefield (2-2)– A tough schedule and injuries have not been kind to the Bobcats, but they remain an overwhelming favorite in Region B and competitive with the best teams in Fairfax.

7) Oakton (3-0) - The defending champs just keep rolling along with big wins over the Cavs and Spartans. They are not the Cougars of last year, but Coach Oliver has this new squad ready to contend once again.

8) West Potomac (2-2) - a pair of 2 goal losses to Madison and South Lakes show that this squad cannot be ignored and could be a threat to Robinson in the Patriot.

9) Westfield (4-1) - The Bulldogs were rolling along with big wins over West Springfield and Lake Braddock on Saturday, but then took a trip over to Vienna on Monday and had reality in the form of the Warhawks hit them head on in a 22-12 loss. Still a great team and the potential #2 to Madison in the Concorde.

10) Woodson (0-4) - Rough start for the Cavs on a brutal schedule, but the games have all been close until the Patriots came to town on Monday. Not to worry, Yorktown will do that to a number of teams this year.

11) Centreville (1-2) – Hard to judge the Wildcats right now, as injuries have taken their toll early and what they may have down the stretch is a bit unknown. A nice win over South County on Monday shows that they still got something in the tank, but we will have to see how much.

12) McLean (1-1) – A competitive loss to Riverside and a nice win over Alexandria "Don't Call us TC" City to start the year, show that the Highlanders are on the upswing.

13) Alexandria City (3-1) – Remember the Titans. No longer known for the postage stamp field, TC Williams has upgraded to the blue turf and better lacrosse as they have been rolling early until being cooled off in the Monday night cold at McLean.

14) West Springfield (2-3) - The Spartans are another team that started off the season heading in the wrong direction with an 0-3 start. Luckily for them Coach Puhlick seems to have made the changes that turned around the bus the last two games with 15-1 and 20-3 wins, albeit over Wakefield and Thomas Jefferson.

15) Justice (1-0) - Early results from others point to the Sheriffs being the favorite in the National District. Of course they finished 1st in the regular season in it last year, only to have Falls Church grab the gold at the end.

Also considered: Cosby (1-1)
Robolobo

Post by Robolobo »

Another great job as always BL! Hard to believe all the good games early this year. Kudos to the coaches for playing contenders and not cupcakes.
Robolobo

Lines

Post by Robolobo »

What the heck, let's get this going for 2024...

Friday night action:

Western Ablemarle (+9) @ Madison (o/u 25)
Annandale (+16) @ South Lakes (o/u 21)
Centreville (-1) @ McLean (o/u 17)
Woodson (-9) @ Fairfax (o/u 16)
W. Springfield (-4) @ Lake Braddock (o/u 17)
S. County (+9) @ W. Potomac (o/u 17)
Oakton (+8) @ Yorktown (o/u 19)

Who you got?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Middle third of season...which teams are riding high right now?
BuckyLou

A whole lot of shaking going on in the New Poll

Post by BuckyLou »

No foolin' April's first poll is here. Spring break has come and gone for the Northern District teams. The weather is getting warmer and the ground and the standings are getting shook up. Before some great Friday night lights action, we have a new FanLax BuckyLou Quarter Pounder VHSL Class 6 poll to kick off the weekend.

1) Langley (5-0) - The win over Robinson in the opener propels them to the top with Madison stumbling against the Rams. The Saxons are loaded with talent and D1 commits and hope that they can eclipse Yorktown next Monday and hold the top spot in the Langley District, and most importantly, in the next FanLax poll.

2) Robinson (5-1) – The loss to Langley keeps them #2 but wins over Yorktown, Madison, and Battlefield show their potential. A big one tonight at West Potomac should determine the top seed for the Patriot District tournament.

3) Yorktown (4-1) – The loss to the Rams holds them back, but they've steamrolled some solid teams as well. The next two against Langley and Madison will tell us a lot about their potential this year.

4) Madison (3-3) - The Warhawks were my top team last time and to their credit they have gone out and challenged themselves over the break with two teams that may host trophies outside of 6A at the end of the year. The loss to Robinson was concerning, but with Yorktown, SSSAS and Potomac sill on the schedule this year, they will be #1 in SoS come tourney time.

5) South Lakes (7-0) - The Seahawks continue to roll along quietly, with their West Potomac win holding up well. Upcoming games against Madison, Battlefield and Westfield will challenge them though.

6) West Potomac (5-2) - a pair of 2 goal losses to Madison and South Lakes is all that holds them back. Opportunity presents itself tonight with Robinson coming to town. A victory would give them the driver's seat in the Patriot District.

7) Westfield (6-2) - A lot of years, wins over Woodson and West Springfield would be a ticket to the top 5. Unfortunately for the Bulldogs not this year, with both schools struggling. Westfield's struggles vs Langley and Madison show that there is yet work to be done.

8) Battlefield (2-3)– A tough schedule and injuries have not been kind to the Bobcats, as they need health to return soon. Their challenging schedule doesn't provide a lot of breaks, but they should be fine if health returns by playoff time and that tough schedule will pay off in the long run.

9) Oakton (5-2) - See Westfield's comments. Struggles vs Yorktown show that 2024 is not 2023 for the Cougars. Their next 3 vs Westfield (tonight), South Lakes and Langley will tell us a lot if the Cougs are contenders or pretenders.

10) Woodson (3-5) - Just like last year, a spring break trip helped turn around things for the struggling Cavs. That season ended up ok. The Cavs hope history repeats itself.

11) Centreville (2-4) – Win over McLean shows the Wildcats still got some fight. Challenging Florida Spring Break trip will have them prepped for the upcoming Concorde battles like facing an angry Madison tonight.

12) McLean (3-3) – Were right in it with the 'cats. The Highlanders continue to improve and should have a ticket to the regional this year.

13) Cosby (1-1) - Last game was postponed, but the fighting Huxtables are always solid and with the Northern Region down this year, we can't forget about them.

14) Justice (3-1) – The odds-on favorite in the National District, the sheriffs scored more on Yorktown than Oakton did, in what will likely be the Wolves only regular season loss

15) Alexandria City (5-2) - It must be the blue turf, but we have to remember the Titans this year as they have brought back good lacrosse and eye a spot in the Regionals.

Also considered: Mountain View, Patriot, Lake Braddock
Robolobo

Post by Robolobo »

Great work as always BuckyLou! Big one for the Rams tonight. WestPo looks tough and I think people don't give them enough credit. I hope the rankings hold up!
Robolobo

Post by Robolobo »

Congrats to WestPo for a great game Friday.

Looks like Langley-Yorktown tonight is for #1 next week.

This year is so hard to figure out, not only at the top, but across the board with strange results that aren't always expected....
DMV-LaxFan

Re: A whole lot of shaking going on in the New Poll

Post by DMV-LaxFan »

BuckyLou wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:21 pm No foolin' April's first poll is here. Spring break has come and gone for the Northern District teams. The weather is getting warmer and the ground and the standings are getting shook up. Before some great Friday night lights action, we have a new FanLax BuckyLou Quarter Pounder VHSL Class 6 poll to kick off the weekend.

1) Langley (5-0) - The win over Robinson in the opener propels them to the top with Madison stumbling against the Rams. The Saxons are loaded with talent and D1 commits and hope that they can eclipse Yorktown next Monday and hold the top spot in the Langley District, and most importantly, in the next FanLax poll.

2) Robinson (5-1) – The loss to Langley keeps them #2 but wins over Yorktown, Madison, and Battlefield show their potential. A big one tonight at West Potomac should determine the top seed for the Patriot District tournament.

3) Yorktown (4-1) – The loss to the Rams holds them back, but they've steamrolled some solid teams as well. The next two against Langley and Madison will tell us a lot about their potential this year.

4) Madison (3-3) - The Warhawks were my top team last time and to their credit they have gone out and challenged themselves over the break with two teams that may host trophies outside of 6A at the end of the year. The loss to Robinson was concerning, but with Yorktown, SSSAS and Potomac sill on the schedule this year, they will be #1 in SoS come tourney time.

5) South Lakes (7-0) - The Seahawks continue to roll along quietly, with their West Potomac win holding up well. Upcoming games against Madison, Battlefield and Westfield will challenge them though.

6) West Potomac (5-2) - a pair of 2 goal losses to Madison and South Lakes is all that holds them back. Opportunity presents itself tonight with Robinson coming to town. A victory would give them the driver's seat in the Patriot District.

7) Westfield (6-2) - A lot of years, wins over Woodson and West Springfield would be a ticket to the top 5. Unfortunately for the Bulldogs not this year, with both schools struggling. Westfield's struggles vs Langley and Madison show that there is yet work to be done.

8) Battlefield (2-3)– A tough schedule and injuries have not been kind to the Bobcats, as they need health to return soon. Their challenging schedule doesn't provide a lot of breaks, but they should be fine if health returns by playoff time and that tough schedule will pay off in the long run.

9) Oakton (5-2) - See Westfield's comments. Struggles vs Yorktown show that 2024 is not 2023 for the Cougars. Their next 3 vs Westfield (tonight), South Lakes and Langley will tell us a lot if the Cougs are contenders or pretenders.

10) Woodson (3-5) - Just like last year, a spring break trip helped turn around things for the struggling Cavs. That season ended up ok. The Cavs hope history repeats itself.

11) Centreville (2-4) – Win over McLean shows the Wildcats still got some fight. Challenging Florida Spring Break trip will have them prepped for the upcoming Concorde battles like facing an angry Madison tonight.

12) McLean (3-3) – Were right in it with the 'cats. The Highlanders continue to improve and should have a ticket to the regional this year.

13) Cosby (1-1) - Last game was postponed, but the fighting Huxtables are always solid and with the Northern Region down this year, we can't forget about them.

14) Justice (3-1) – The odds-on favorite in the National District, the sheriffs scored more on Yorktown than Oakton did, in what will likely be the Wolves only regular season loss

15) Alexandria City (5-2) - It must be the blue turf, but we have to remember the Titans this year as they have brought back good lacrosse and eye a spot in the Regionals.

Also considered: Mountain View, Patriot, Lake Braddock
Guessing there will be a new number 1 next week BuckyLou after BuckyLou's #1 and #2 both lost this week.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”