Miscellaneous Thoughts on Music

Movies, TV, and Music
OuttaNowhereWregget

Miscellaneous Thoughts on Music

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Did the Beatles create the Paul is Dead publicity stunt? I have no doubt. Among many references in their music and album artwork—John, in perpetuating the myth, wrote in Glass Onion:

“Here’s another clue for you all; the Walrus was Paul.”

Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Miscellaneous Thoughts on Music

Primus’s Les Claypool said no matter what he did, he could not replicate the beefy sound Yes’s Chris Squire got on his burly big bass. Great example here:

OuttaNowhereWregget

Though Frank Black never mentions the Three Stooges, it’s obvious who he is referring to. He was obviously a fan.

A lot of people love that Jerome
Did you know he missed his comb?
All his life was in pain
Made us laugh, he never did complain.

Brother Sam was more than okay
Returned once more to save the day
Slicked-back hair he did keep
Making a heep, heep, heep, heep, heep.

If all you see is violence
Then I make a plea in their defense
Don't you know they speak vaudevillian?
And for what it is, hear what my theory is
Some gibberish it is so serious
What we need is more silly men.

Though underrated all the time
Louis was so very fine
Without him, imagine
Did you know he could play the violin?

Most important was brother Moe
He was the one who made it so
He got a Joe and another Joe
He would not quit, he would not quit.

And Mr. White heard bad reports
And so it ends the two reeler short
Cause you cannot do what you can't
Cause you cannot do what you can't.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:02 am Though Frank Black never mentions the Three Stooges, it’s obvious who he is referring to. He was obviously a fan.

A lot of people love that Jerome
Did you know he missed his comb?
All his life was in pain
Made us laugh, he never did complain.

Brother Sam was more than okay
Returned once more to save the day
Slicked-back hair he did keep
Making a heep, heep, heep, heep, heep.

And for what it is, hear what my theory is
Some gibberish it is so serious
What we need is more silly men.

Though underrated all the time
Louis was so very fine
Without him, imagine
Did you know he could play the violin?

Most important was brother Moe
He was the one who made it so
He got a Joe and another Joe
He would not quit, he would not quit.

Cause you cannot do what you can't
Cause you cannot do what you can't.

Oh yes it’s common knowledge to acolytes such as myself that it’s about the stooges. Of course that’s literally my favorite song on his best solo album which helps me. (Whatever Happened to Pong, Sir Rockabye, Freedom Rock are excellent songs on that album as well)
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
OuttaNowhereWregget

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:19 pm Oh yes it’s common knowledge to acolytes such as myself that it’s about the stooges. Of course that’s literally my favorite song on his best solo album which helps me. (Whatever Happened to Pong, Sir Rockabye, Freedom Rock are excellent songs on that album as well)
Great solo album. Lots of great stuff. Black is a bona fide artist--singer/songwriter/musician. I like that pretty much all the songs are around or less than 2 minutes 50 seconds. Pete would be pleased:

OuttaNowhereWregget

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:19 pm Whatever Happened to Pong, Sir Rockabye, Freedom Rock are excellent songs on that album as well
Love Pong--kicks the doors in. Clever video.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:33 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:19 pm Oh yes it’s common knowledge to acolytes such as myself that it’s about the stooges. Of course that’s literally my favorite song on his best solo album which helps me. (Whatever Happened to Pong, Sir Rockabye, Freedom Rock are excellent songs on that album as well)
Great solo album. Lots of great stuff. Black is a bona fide artist--singer/songwriter/musician. I like that pretty much all the songs are around or less than 2 minutes 50 seconds. Pete would be pleased:

Yep pixies and black songs are all pretty short in general. Missed them in original version, have seen them w Deal 1-2x in reunion shows and a number of times w the new Brazilian girl Paz. Also seem Black solo a handful of times. My favorite band/artist. Can go on all day about them. But this early (2nd actually) solo effort is tremendous. He’s put out some really terrific folk like music later in his solo career too. Honeycomb is a great album.
See Martin, Malcolm
OuttaNowhereWregget

Pete eloquently (and humorously) sums up the appeal of The Who to their audience in less than 30 seconds. Circa mid 60's.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Long Island's Pat Benatar is as lovely today as ever. But she won't sing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" anymore:

https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/imag ... fec54b.jpg

https://www.today.com/popculture/music/ ... -rcna39481

Pat Benatar says that recent mass shootings have compelled her to “protest” gun violence and skip singing one of her most iconic songs.

In a recent interview with USA Today, the rock singer explained that she won’t be singing her iconic song “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” during her current tour with her husband and musical partner, Neil Giraldo.

Reflecting on recent mass shootings, the singer explained that despite pressure from loyal fans to play what is called her “holy 14” songs, she won’t be playing the second single from her 1980 album Crimes of Passion.

“If we don’t play them, you’ll give us (a hard time),” she told USA Today. “We’re not doing “Hit Me With Your Best Shot,” and fans are having a heart attack, and I’m like, ‘I’m sorry, in deference to the victims of the families of these mass shootings, I’m not singing it.’”

more ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Buffy Sainte-Marie is alive and kickin:

''Buffy Sainte-Marie: ‘I didn’t know I was ahead of the pack at the time’'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... -interview

Now, thanks to a comprehensive new documentary titled Carry It On, viewers can see just how effective Sainte-Marie has been in her eight decades of life. The documentary delineates most, but not all, of the “firsts” in her career, making clear how far ahead of the pack she was in the fields of music, film, television, technology and politics. At the same time, the film covers disturbing issues in her personal life, from sexual abuse by multiple family members to manipulation and confinement by a later romantic partner, to memos and calls made by people associated with various US administrations meant to discourage radio stations from playing her music in the 60s and 70s.

Sainte-Marie only found out about the government’s interference in her career years after it occurred. “They don’t tell you, ‘hey, you’re under surveillance,’” the singer said with a laugh. “I found out about it on a radio show in the 80s.”

more ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
OuttaNowhereWregget

“We have to shout above the din of our Rice Krispies.”

—Synchronicity II, The Police

What a great line. That Sting, a Brit, penned it makes it even better.
OuttaNowhereWregget

What a performance. The axework alone is sublime--but the whole band was bringing it. Love seeing closeups of Betts and Allman and how they coaxed those lovely notes off the fretboards.

Olderbarndog

Post by Olderbarndog »

One album to listen to for the rest of my life; Live at the Fillmore, nuthin else even comes close!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Olderbarndog wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:51 pm One album to listen to for the rest of my life; Live at the Fillmore, nuthin else even comes close!
Trying to get my kids to a show there when we are out over the holidays soon, that and the Paramount in Oakland are both cool historic venues. Unfotunately they are all corporate owned now and very different, same with CBGB (maybe even torn down at some point cant recall) and Irving Plaza and similar places across the country sadly.

Phil Lesh is there the day before we arrive in the area...
See Martin, Malcolm
Olderbarndog

Post by Olderbarndog »

Mad respect for your efforts. Don't lose heart, this music is timeless. It has persisted for decades. Listen long enough and the hook will get set.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Olderbarndog wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:40 pm Mad respect for your efforts. Don't lose heart, this music is timeless. It has persisted for decades. Listen long enough and the hook will get set.
The one good thing about music…when it hits you feel no pain…

https://youtu.be/ziQSNGFzlp4?si=tkV0pSTbKmKqjr

Trying to figure out some big Xmas gift/trip/event. The girl is easy. She wants a trip to NYC w daddy. Of course she’s getting winter break in Feb which is probably the absolutely worst time to visit NYC but so it goes.

For the boy I’ve looked at (selfishly) a pixies concert next year in Ireland and other big shows w travel. But haven’t found the right mix of location and concert that’s more practical and feasible so it’ll probably end up being a long ski weekend in the Rocky mtns (Ut/Co most likely). If rage against the machine goes back on tour I could buy his love forever with a trip to see them in some cool spot.
See Martin, Malcolm
OuttaNowhereWregget

“Come you ladies and you gentlemen,
Listen to my song.
I’ll sing it to you right,
But you might think it’s wrong.”

Ol' Bobby D. What a way with words he had.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Angus Young

Colossus of an axeman--all 5' 2" of him. Tireless performer. Love the sublime leg kick beginning the end solo at 3:30, and squealing notes at 3:52.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey

I happened to listen to this in my leased vehicle during lunch yesterday. Without the engine running with a dynamite sound system, the bass felt as well as heard, at a decent volume, and rediscovered what a great song this is. So much going on in this Lennon's Ode to Heroin. One look below at the different instruments played confirms that. Great kick-the-doors-in little rocker. The use of the hand bell--just genius. Whose idea was it to add that to the mix? Frickin genius. The barrage of C'mon's toward the end, in the midst of which are two primal screams heard in the background: the first at 2:07 and the 2nd at 2:11--positively sublime. Probably detectable only with decent headphones, one of the subtleties that added to the greatness of the Beatles, all the stuff heard only with headphones--like the sigh and false start in Paperback Writer before they were washed away by verkakte "remastering", or the creaking floorboard and "shhh" heard near the very end of A Day in the Life.

Lennon – double tracked lead vocal, rhythm guitar, handclaps
McCartney – backing vocal, bass, second bass, hand bell, chocalho, handclaps
Harrison – backing vocal, lead guitar, handclaps
Starkey – drums, handclaps

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”