UNC 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
uncfan1013

UNC 2024

Post by uncfan1013 »

This is for any talks about UNC’s Women’s Lacrosse.
Brownlax

Re: UNC 2024

Post by Brownlax »

Great comeback by the Tar Heels today versu sFlorida. Heels were losing 7-4 in the first half and then outscored UF 15-3 to finish the game wit a solid 19-10 win.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Solid contribution from freshmen like Ingrlli and Leonard. Defense needs alot of work and i'm sure Jenny is letting the team know. This offense is potent the way they can just keep throwing players at you.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Honestly confused why Ingrlli didn’t touch the field until 4th quarter. Also didn’t see Flynn Reed either. Didn’t matter much for the third quarter but first half it could’ve
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Predictions for Saturday’s game?? I hope the defense can find its footing. Maybe we could pull off the upset. Would be cool especially with the injuries.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

uncfan1013 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:37 pm Predictions for Saturday’s game?? I hope the defense can find its footing. Maybe we could pull off the upset. Would be cool especially with the injuries.
I don't think it would be an upset. Despite the injuries this UNC team is still very good. Notre Dame is known to give UNC fits. The offense will score but i agree, it'll come down to defense because that's UNC weakness. I predict 14-12 UNC
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Jenny Levy throwing some serious shade at Halfpenny and Notre Dame.... “They're a team that should be in the Final Four the last three years, I mean I don’t know why they're not,” Levy said. :shock: :lol:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... hill/62728
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

laxer12 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:36 am Jenny Levy throwing some serious shade at Halfpenny and Notre Dame.... “They're a team that should be in the Final Four the last three years, I mean I don’t know why they're not,” Levy said. :shock: :lol:

She’s not wrong to point out how ND consistently under-performs.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

I mean...is she really saying anything that hasn't already been said many times over here?
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

I have not noticed and I apologize if the topic has been discussed but what's up with #15. Totally invisible...from a player described as generational talent. Had more than enough time serving her apprenticeship while Heels stars carried the load.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Itsallgood wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:51 pm I have not noticed and I apologize if the topic has been discussed but what's up with #15. Totally invisible...from a player described as generational talent. Had more than enough time serving her apprenticeship while Heels stars carried the load.
Reposted this from the Games Today Thread.

I feel bad for the kid. She did not create the hype for herself. All she did was put up big numbers in HS. Blame the lacrosse media for how they portrayed her. Maybe you just don’t like her or UNC, but she has had a very good career:

Some of her stats from UNC
Career Assists: 4th (94 assists)
Career Points: 13th (201 points)
Single Season Assists: 6th (42 assists, 2022)
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:08 pm
Itsallgood wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:51 pm I have not noticed and I apologize if the topic has been discussed but what's up with #15. Totally invisible...from a player described as generational talent. Had more than enough time serving her apprenticeship while Heels stars carried the load.

I feel bad for the kid. She did not create the hype for herself. All she did was put up big numbers in HS. Blame the lacrosse media for how they portrayed her. Maybe you just don’t like her or UNC, but she has had a very good career:

She has had a very good career and seems to be a really hard worker and positive teammate. The whole commit in 8th grade and then switch commitments created a bit of a media storm in the very small market of people who care about Women's Lacrosse. Has to be a lot of pressure to be "the recruit" in that space. Would be cool if she returned to Florida and continued to develop the talent there.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

tothedraw wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:46 pm

She has had a very good career and seems to be a really hard worker and positive teammate. The whole commit in 8th grade and then switch commitments created a bit of a media storm in the very small market of people who care about Women's Lacrosse. Has to be a lot of pressure to be "the recruit" in that space. Would be cool if she returned to Florida and continued to develop the talent there.
I do agree the hype is probably why her career is seen the way it is. If she was a normal really good recruit from LI, 219 points (and counting) at UNC is a great career. But I think when you factor in the committing in 8th grade, setting the HS points record, being from a non-hotbed and then tearing up some Team USA junior events, she was seen as the next big thing. With all the hype you'd expect her to be leading the charge instead of a piece of the puzzle. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just when you get that much hype people will look for any reason to take you down a knotch..

What's interesting looking at Wurzburger is how the two big superstars to come out of non-hotbeds in recent years, Scane and North, were highly ranked recruits but didn't have the can't miss No. 1 overall recruit generational talent hype. I wonder if they would be viewed the same way if they got the hype Wurzburger did coming out of high school. Scane probably would. North would likely have gotten more scrutiny than some of the criticism she got on this board while playing.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:08 pm
laxer12 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:36 am Jenny Levy throwing some serious shade at Halfpenny and Notre Dame.... “They're a team that should be in the Final Four the last three years, I mean I don’t know why they're not,” Levy said. :shock: :lol:

I understand what she is saying...and she may be right to a point. My problem with that is this : Who is she to be criticizing anyone about their team? Remember, Jenny has been at UNC for 29 years. She consistently has gotten top level recruits ,year in and year out, and been a fixture in the top 5, top 10 programs in Women's D1 College Lacrosse. All of that, and yet she has only won the National Championship three times. ONLY? I know I'm underplaying a great achievement, that everyone cannot do. However, when one gets the endless supply of Blue Chip recruits that UNC ALWAYS gets, then it's okay to wonder why she has not won MORE Championships? In contrast Kelly Amonte Hiller has won 8 in 22 years(5 consecutive from 2005-09, then back-to-back, 2011-12...IMO, her two best coaching victories ever). Get my point?

Maybe Jenny was throwing shade about Christine Halfpenny and maybe she wasn't. My opinion? She wasn't, but that query from her just didn't sound right. Sometimes, it's better to wonder in silence than wonder aloud.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:04 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:08 pm

I understand what she is saying...and she may be right to a point. My problem with that is this : Who is she to be criticizing anyone about their team? Remember, Jenny has been at UNC for 29 years. She consistently has gotten top level recruits ,year in and year out, and been a fixture in the top 5, top 10 programs in Women's D1 College Lacrosse. All of that, and yet she has only won the National Championship three times. ONLY? I know I'm underplaying a great achievement, that everyone cannot do. However, when one gets the endless supply of Blue Chip recruits that UNC ALWAYS gets, then it's okay to wonder why she has not won MORE Championships? In contrast Kelly Amonte Hiller has won 8 in 22 years(5 consecutive from 2005-09, then back-to-back, 2011-12...IMO, her two best coaching victories ever). Get my point?

Maybe Jenny was throwing shade about Christine Halfpenny and maybe she wasn't. My opinion? She wasn't, but that query from her just didn't sound right. Sometimes, it's better to wonder in silence than wonder aloud.
I've known Jenny for a really long time - she is not the person to make a comment like this in a negative way. She was just saying that ND is a really good team and that they have the talent to be in the final four every year.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

I don't think she was throwing shade at all and she was interviewed, made a statement that could be viewed as shade, probably without thinking about it at all.

ND has the talent to pull off a win and they won. I think she will move on.

I've listened to a ton of Jenny Levy interviews and she talks a lot about culture and she is fully bought into doing it the way she thinks it right. She will not cut corners, she will not go against her core values to win. She has stated that she knows she has to be willing to do it in a way that meets those values and that it could result in not winning championships.

I personally love this aspect about her as a coach and a person. She's one of the good ones, while I tend to think Halfpenny is less than scrupulous in how she operates. That's just me.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Father helped along the hype machine and would have private practices with her...at UNC.....crazy. I believe she has a job in NYC when she graduates. This surprises me because she was so intense about lacrosse would think she would go the route of Ohlmiller, Arsenault & Mastroiani after graduation.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Madlax59 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:37 pm

Father helped along the hype machine and would have private practices with her...at UNC.....crazy. I believe she has a job in NYC when she graduates. This surprises me because she was so intense about lacrosse would think she would go the route of Ohlmiller, Arsenault & Mastroiani after graduation.
It could be like Jamie Ortega who hasn’t been an ambassador for lacrosse much after UNC. Played at the alum game but otherwise she hasn’t played for AU since last last summer.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Didn't want to mention what I was told about father, lol. Was going for the diplomatic route. There is very little money to be made as an assistant woman's lacrosse coach vs NYC finance. 🤷
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

uncfan1013 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:21 pm

It could be like Jamie Ortega who hasn’t been an ambassador for lacrosse much after UNC. Played at the alum game but otherwise she hasn’t played for AU since last last summer.
Really not sure how to take this comment about Jamie Ortega. She decided to enter the work force and decided to not play in AAU anymore. Played in the first year but got a season-ending concussion. Was she supposed to be an ambassador? Weird comment.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”