Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DoubleD

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by DoubleD »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:44 pm
Pensky Material wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:09 pm
LacrosseFan33 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:49 am I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but in games where Hiltz isn't getting it going, I'd love to see Deere out there, even just for a change of pace.
Not here but over at the Syracusefan site some people have mentioned moving Leo to attack and have Hiltz run on the 2nd line mids. I have thought that could be an option since Leo's natural position and he appears to be one of the few guys who can consistently bear his man but who knows.
That's a good call out, Hiltz could serve in the Birtwistle type of interior finishing midfield role on the first line
Idk I would bump Birtwhistle up to the 1st line the kid is a finisher. If they move Leo to attack I would move Hiltz to the 2nd line. At least until he finds his game again. English, Birtwhistle and Rhoa on 1st line with Stevens, Hiltz and Thompson on 2nd line. Rhoa took a big step this yr and needs to be on the field more. He can dodge and shoot.
coda

Post by coda »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:49 am I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but in games where Hiltz isn't getting it going, I'd love to see Deere out there, even just for a change of pace.
I dont think that will change things much. He is similar player. He is not going to add dodging to the attack line.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Now both Duke and UNC join Syracuse and Notre Dmae as ACC teams with zero big wins, at least one loss, and a good chunk of the schedule gone.

Lotsa lacrosse left.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:07 pm Now both Duke and UNC join Syracuse and Notre Dmae as ACC teams with zero big wins, at least one loss, and a good chunk of the schedule gone.

Lotsa lacrosse left.
True but the ACC may end up with 3 teams in now, previously people predicted all 5. Whoever is left out of the ACC tournament is automatically out, whoever is place 4 is 50-50 of getting in
Finster

Post by Finster »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:36 am
a fan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:07 pm Now both Duke and UNC join Syracuse and Notre Dmae as ACC teams with zero big wins, at least one loss, and a good chunk of the schedule gone.

Lotsa lacrosse left.
True but the ACC may end up with 3 teams in now, previously people predicted all 5. Whoever is left out of the ACC tournament is automatically out, whoever is place 4 is 50-50 of getting in

This is shaping up to be the most difficult year to predict who gets in; the parity everywhere is insane. The committee members must be having sleepless nights already.
molo

Post by molo »

What do Cuse fans think about the HPU game? It started out like the blowout it was expected to be, but the Panthers made it interesting for a while there. Disappointing night if you were a Cuse backup. Starters were in until late in the fourth. Not sure what a game like this does for you at this point in the season, kind of like UVA’s playing Ro Mo next week.
a fan

Post by a fan »

molo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:58 pm What do Cuse fans think about the HPU game? It started out like the blowout it was expected to be, but the Panthers made it interesting for a while there. Disappointing night if you were a Cuse backup. Starters were in until late in the fourth. Not sure what a game like this does for you at this point in the season, kind of like UVA’s playing Ro Mo next week.
As I wrote on the JHU thread....the Defense is a work in progress. Until they fix that, it's going to be rough sledding with their tough games coming up. IMo.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Death, taxes, and Spallina racking up points against mid teams
laxlax29

Post by laxlax29 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:59 pm Death, taxes, and Spallina racking up points against mid teams
He's just not suited to be an initiator/creator against top tier competition. He's a very good all around player who can feed, shoot, finish, carry and dodge once the defense is already rotating, best suited to being a guy who puts up his points as part of a team offense. His post-up style of dodging that served him so well in high school doesn't cut it against the defenders he's matched up with now in the ACC, just begging for a turnover at times.

Ideally he'd be your Logan Wisnauskas-type in an offense where he's not asked to be an initiator/guy who draws the first slide, but rather a facilitator who does everything else at a high level.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:59 pm Death, taxes, and Spallina racking up points against mid teams
I’ll gladly take Spallina.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

laxlax29 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:14 am
He's just not suited to be an initiator/creator against top tier competition. He's a very good all around player who can feed, shoot, finish, carry and dodge once the defense is already rotating, best suited to being a guy who puts up his points as part of a team offense. His post-up style of dodging that served him so well in high school doesn't cut it against the defenders he's matched up with now in the ACC, just begging for a turnover at times.

Ideally he'd be your Logan Wisnauskas-type in an offense where he's not asked to be an initiator/guy who draws the first slide, but rather a facilitator who does everything else at a high level.
Greatest televised pass in lacrosse history

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSgDOWceqlM
DMac

Post by DMac »

Death, taxes, and a-holes finding half-aszed reasons to knock Spallina.
By how many does he lead the team in assists?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:01 am
laxlax29 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:14 am

Greatest televised pass in lacrosse history

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSgDOWceqlM
You haven't watched very much lacrosse, have you?
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Spallina is a heck of a player. His lack of points vs top teams is true in the sense he’s not really able to QB maybe because of his size or speed vs ACC defenseman. Whoever said Wisnausks is spot on. He’s a lethal finisher, player, and team player. All it takes is one guy to beat his man and he’s scoring. But, the attack unit has not helped him out in that sense either. Think he’s still a year away from making the jump to elite level.
Finster

Post by Finster »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:12 am

I’d ignore that guy’s comment. He’s just trying to get a rise out of you.

Spallina has shown he can be a prolific points guy, not simply against mid majors but also against the best. Everyone should bear in mind that opposing defenses (smart ones, anyway) do everything they can to remove Spallina from the offense. The most effective strategy playing Cuse this year is limiting Spallina; this isn’t rocket science.

Final note: opposing teams should remember that this team is a hair away from being undefeated right now.
maddog29

Post by maddog29 »

Kind of a disappointing contest imho - came out blazing (7-0) and letting HPU know they weren't going to win. Then got real cozy, overran every gb, poor passes, even worse advised shots, etc and suddenly it was 9-8. Overback had TEN points - ughhhhh. Mark played well, ssdm/poles were below average. One bright spot was Mullen looked pretty good again at f/o - best frosh in many years for the Orange. In summation, they did take care of business but in a very unimpressive fashion.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

I would take him on my team any day. He's drawn the. #1 pole from day one. Next
lorin

Post by lorin »

UO22 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:12 am
I would take him on my team any day. He's drawn the. #1 pole from day one. Next
All potential Tewaarton winners draw # 1 pole from day one unless your playing with another one on your team.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Joseph needs to play well against JHU. It is a critical game for Cuse nm
laxlax29

Post by laxlax29 »

My big concern with their offense is the inability to beat a man and draw slides. The fact that they're scoring as well as they are with such a glaring issue speaks to the really high level of talent they have, but the talent they can put on the field isn't balanced and is redundant.

If you look at the guys who get run on offense, only Spallina (sometimes, and not against top cover guys as we've seen), Leo , English and Rhoa can beat their man and get the defense sliding. So at very most you've got three dodging threats on the field at the same time, if that's even the lineup we're seeing. Getting Stevens back may help, but I'm not super familiar with his game. When you split these guys over two midfield lines (Rhoa on the second I believe), it's even more limiting.

You've got Hiltz, Mulé, Thomson, Birtwhistle and against the best, Spallina, who aren't able to beat their man. The first four guys aren't worrying you much against an average ACC SSDM. These guys are all great finishers, move off ball and can do amazing things with their sticks but you've got seriously diminishing returns once more than two of them are on the field together.

Losing Stevens and English next year will be a huge loss, not to mention their goalie and Olexo who may be the most under appreciated player in D1 right now. But as others have pointed out, they're two goals away from being undefeated, losing in OT against two teams that may both be top five, certainly top 10 opponents. Young defense needs to tighten up when they slide/not get lost and young offensive players need to stop forcing things/throwing the ball away early in the possession. Will they make the tourney? It will be really tough but they the players to do it. Just up to them to play smarter and keep being competitive at the face-off x.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”