Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
spidey44

Re: Games Today

Post by spidey44 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:20 pm
lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:03 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:15 pm Anyone happen to see the vicious off ball hit from Stanford #24 on Yale #12 with no time left on the clock as Yale closed out a 13-12 win? Red card from the official, but I'll bet the family from Yale who has made it their mission to campaign against this kind of illegal play will have something to say.

BTW the daughter of said Yale family who had a serious injury vs. SBU in 2022 scored the game-tying goal today. Nice to see her back on the field.
Just went back and rewatched😮 so unnecessary and props to Jay Browne for setting her straight as she walked off the field.

Not very surprised though.
I am assuming that there are no repercussions for this card ... since there was no time on the clock when she was ejected. Maybe THAT should be a rule change?!?!
Suspension for next game? I have no idea if this is a rule or not but wouldn’t be surprised if it is.
lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

spidey44 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:28 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:15 pm Anyone happen to see the vicious off ball hit from Stanford #24 on Yale #12 with no time left on the clock as Yale closed out a 13-12 win? Red card from the official, but I'll bet the family from Yale who has made it their mission to campaign against this kind of illegal play will have something to say.

BTW the daughter of said Yale family who had a serious injury vs. SBU in 2022 scored the game-tying goal today. Nice to see her back on the field.
Just went back and rewatched😮 so unnecessary and props to Jay Browne for setting her straight as she walked off the field.

I am assuming that there are no repercussions for this card ... since there was no time on the clock when she was ejected. Maybe THAT should be a rule change?!?!
Suspension for next game? I have no idea if this is a rule or not but wouldn’t be surprised if it is.
It’s on the box score for a red card at 0:00. Even if there was time left regardless she’s missing the next game. She’ll have to sit in the stands. Fitting they play Holy Cross next… personally I think she should sit out the next 2 games.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Glad to see #12 Taylor Lane up after the hit, smiling and celebrating with her teammates including Taylor Everson (#17). Nice win, scoring the last four goals in the game to snag a come from behind opening day victory.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

NULax2 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:44 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:11 pm For me, just based on eye test, I think MIchigan is the most complete team right now. Not saying they should be one, but I think they've played the best to date.
It's 1 game and O'Grady was standing on her head. 13 saves vs. 4 goals allowed. 76.5% save.

Good win by Michigan but not ready to call it a season yet.
O'Grady has been lights out all year so far for Michigan! I'm biased since I coached her :lol:
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

njbill wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:09 pm
user1020 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:41 pm A new rule is that if a team ends a quarter when man up than they start with the ball the next quarter:
Right you are. Just looked it up. Interesting. But the team has to maintain possession from the time they get it after the card through the end of the period in order to get the ball at the start of the next period (including OT periods). The time on the possession clock doesn't reset at the start of the next period. If, however, the team that got possession after the card loses possession before the period is over, then the ensuing period starts with a draw. Rule 5, sec. 23. New for the 2024-25 rules cycle. I guess I can understand the logic of this.

I feel better. I can excuse myself for not knowing a rule that's new this year. Would be unhappy with myself if this had been a rule for some time.
I love this rule. It's basically the same rule that has been used in the men's game. The old rule penalized the offense for being patient.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

How did Army lose to Siena? And UConn only lost to JMU by 1.

I feel like there's a lot of surprises so far in this young season!
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:45 pm

Glad to see #12 Taylor Lane up after the hit, smiling and celebrating with her teammates including Taylor Everson (#17). Nice win, scoring the last four goals in the game to snag a come from behind opening day victory.
The craziest thing about the hit was that the Yale defender gave the ball back to her goalie. She did not even have the ball and the Stanford player crushed her.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Red cards automatically have a one-game suspension. Some conference have additional penalties, but this wouldn't apply here. Players have a right to appeal, but can't see that happening.

What makes this interesting is that if the red card was after 0:00 then it effectively becomes a 2 game suspension since based on how NCAA views things it would have happened after the game. I don't think that applies here but it's been applied in the past for post-game extracurricular activities.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Interesting stat for the JMU-UConn game today. Fouls in the second half were 20 for JMU and 2 for UConn. Hmmm. Credit to UConn for making the second half comeback but…..
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:39 pm

Red cards automatically have a one-game suspension. Some conference have additional penalties, but this wouldn't apply here. Players have a right to appeal, but can't see that happening.

What makes this interesting is that if the red card was after 0:00 then it effectively becomes a 2 game suspension since based on how NCAA views things it would have happened after the game. I don't think that applies here but it's been applied in the past for post-game extracurricular activities.
Thanks for the info … happy to hear it. This particular player is the current darling of the Stanford HC, so I am dubious about any team/program discipline, which IMHO should also be applied.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

livelovelax wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 am Interesting stat for the JMU-UConn game today. Fouls in the second half were 20 for JMU and 2 for UConn. Hmmm. Credit to UConn for making the second half comeback but…..
These green cards are fn painful. Essentially eliminated any sort of ride between the 30s. They've got to fix this.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

spidey44 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:04 am
livelovelax wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 am Interesting stat for the JMU-UConn game today. Fouls in the second half were 20 for JMU and 2 for UConn. Hmmm. Credit to UConn for making the second half comeback but…..
These green cards are fn painful. Essentially eliminated any sort of ride between the 30s. They've got to fix this.
I completely disagree. The green cards, while painful now, were necessary. Fouling as a tactical strategy between the 30s was killing the game. With enough green cards, that strategy will be abandoned….and the game will get faster again….
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:08 am
I completely disagree. The green cards, while painful now, were necessary. Fouling as a tactical strategy between the 30s was killing the game. With enough green cards, that strategy will be abandoned….and the game will get faster again….
But you're taking away the advantage the offense has on fast breaks as well. I saw it yesterday, the redefend is becoming non existent for teams looking NOT to foul. Free clears in those cases.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

spidey44 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:04 am
But you're taking away the advantage the offense has on fast breaks as well. I saw it yesterday, the redefend is becoming non existent for teams looking NOT to foul. Free clears in those cases.
Have to agree with womenslaxfan here. In years past the defenders would foul , foul, foul, and slow down the break and reposition themselves to their advantage. Now the fouls give the offense a man up situation for 60 secs. Sure the defense still slows down the break/transition, but they are hurting themselves in the long run.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Understand both of your points, but I personally hate how it's affecting the game. Previously the third foul resulted in a penalty which in my opinion was a better rule, but just my opinion.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

To be more clear, the JMU fouls were more egregious according to the stripes, not just greens but 7 yellows. That is why the score became so close but again, you have to credit UConn for coming back. They had more draws and many more shots than the Dukes.

IMO, the officials are becoming too much part of the game with the greens. You can't even run alongside a girl and bump to slow down. It's passive defense between the 30s and is not good for the game………sorry.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

I agree they are necessary, but current rules doesn't work. In my opinion, greens should only be issued on fouls from behind or fouls which disrupt a transition opportunity. Greens on 50/50 ground balls are completely unnecessary in my opinion.

The other thing I don't like is the implications to strategy. My freshman daughter's coach has coached their team to keep the game between the 30s whenever they are in a stall/game-ending situation and in some cases, when man-down with a lead.
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:24 am I personally hate how it's affecting the game. Previously the third foul resulted in a penalty which in my opinion was a better rule.
Agreed!
OuttaNowhereWregget

livelovelax wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:34 am IMO, the officials are becoming too much part of the game with the greens. You can't even run alongside a girl and bump to slow down. It's passive defense between the 30s and is not good for the game………sorry.
Well said.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Lindenwood beats Louisville by 3……. Good win for them

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”