Georgetown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HGK

Re: Georgetown 2024

Post by HGK »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:48 pm Much better game from the Hoyas on the defensive end. Like to see Banks and Moore settling in and nice effort from Foley filling in for an injured Tominovich. Short stick D-mids continue to be a bright spot.

On the FOs looks like Ball is still a bit banged up as well as running into an official that did not mesh with his style. His violations were not obviously violations.

Offensively, we look like a bunch of midfielders out there ... because they are. They have exactly one guy, Wray, who is skilled inside. I'd love to see them get some run for Caggiano on the 6v6 (he's running EMO). He's a skilled shooter and slick on the inside.

Turnovers in the 4th Quarter negated any chance for a comeback.

Biggest issue I have is not doing more to get Bundy into good positions and matchups. They should be setting him up for step down shots and secondary dodges once the initial dodge and ball movement have gotten the D spinning and created space. If you get Bundy rolling it will open up the offense for the rest of the team.

Another two tough games on the road with Penn and Notre Dame. Hoping to see some continual improvement. Go Hoyas!
The positive take today is that the Defense was significantly improved. Foley did a great job in for Tominovich who is sadly out for a while. Moore is clearly the real deal and will only going to get better week over week. Away from a win, if i was asked what we wanted to see - it would be better defensive result. And we got that. So that is a big positive going forward. The offense has enough fire power to win games if the D is solid and improving. Nice to see Haley beat a shortie and score but this team still needs an X attackman that can draw a long pole, beat him and free up vardaro, Bundy and or Wray vs a short stick. Never want to be happy about a loss but i do think Hoya faithful should leave this game feeling a lot better about the trajectory of the seaaon than after the Loyola game. On to Penn.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cmbtp88 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:41 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:20 pm Transfer U
Has to be lots of current Seniors and Juniors who are very frustrated watching multiple mercenaries show up every year and take spots they were told during recruitment they could compete for. Good news is this is the last year of free Covid eligibility.
They can compete for it. Just be better than the other players at your position. Give the coach a reason to play you over somebody else, whether that is a freshman coming in or a transfer or the kid you beat out last year but worked harder than you in the weight room in the off season. Comments like yours are naive at best and show that you yourself have never competed athletically or you are acting that way. The coaches are there to field the best team they can. Man-up and beat somebody else out. It's only parents that make comments like this because the players have been competing for playing time since middle school and know very well they have to be better than other players at their positions to see the field or even make the team. There are plenty of seniors and juniors not seeing playing time because a freshman recruit comes in and beats them out. Their are plenty of 5th years transfers that don't see the playing field. The coaches should play the best players they have no matter what year they are and no matter how they came into the program. Mercinaries, you mean players that have competed in other programs and earned the opportunity to play their last year of eligibility and earn another degree? The good news is there opportunity for every player to earn playing time. Cheers!!!!
It’s real sports maybe you should grow a pair.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
HGK

Post by HGK »

Any opinions on having Carroll as the X attackman? He had a few COD goals in first two games that reminded me of Minicus. Haley has played well but drawing a short stick hurts the midfield , which is downfield dodging dominant from up top. Carroll at X doesn’t take a pole off Haley necessarily but creates more slides and that falls right into Haley’s game. Movement and feeding to off ball cutters. Then you have Carroll drawing a pole and creating slides which should help Bundy, Wray, Crogan, Vardaro etc get more hands free looks.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:25 pm Any opinions on having Carroll as the X attackman? He had a few COD goals in first two games that reminded me of Minicus. Haley has played well but drawing a short stick hurts the midfield , which is downfield dodging dominant from up top. Carroll at X doesn’t take a pole off Haley necessarily but creates more slides and that falls right into Haley’s game. Movement and feeding to off ball cutters. Then you have Carroll drawing a pole and creating slides which should help Bundy, Wray, Crogan, Vardaro etc get more hands free looks.
Agree 100% re: the need to have a dodger from X. The offense is limited by starting everything from the top and wings.

The Penn game tomorrow is very important as ND on the road will be very tough and an 0-4 start would be rough. The Penn games the past two years have been tight and GU needs to present a new wrinkle on offense and hope that the D continues to solidify.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:25 pm Any opinions on having Carroll as the X attackman? He had a few COD goals in first two games that reminded me of Minicus. Haley has played well but drawing a short stick hurts the midfield , which is downfield dodging dominant from up top. Carroll at X doesn’t take a pole off Haley necessarily but creates more slides and that falls right into Haley’s game. Movement and feeding to off ball cutters. Then you have Carroll drawing a pole and creating slides which should help Bundy, Wray, Crogan, Vardaro etc get more hands free looks.
Its worth a shot. He's shown he can himself free to get good looks.

Also wonder about using Vardaro there as he's a proven double threat to score/assist.

Should be an interesting game. Both teams in a similar position with losing a lot of production from last year. Georgetown should be hungry for this one. Almost a must-win situation.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Anyone else having trouble with the ESPN+ feed?
HGK

Post by HGK »

Yes.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Wow does the production of this "coverage" scuk asz.

Can't imagine why ESPN is in trouble. And spare me the "it's not ESPN, it's Penn," 'cause I see the ESPN+ name on this drek. Oh, and fcuk Eisner as well.

Your name on the product, you own it.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
HGK

Post by HGK »

Nice win. Offense has a lot of options which is great to see. Defense seems to have gotten past the Loyola issues. Moore is going to be a difference maker in and out of the cage and Ball has been great. On to ND!

LGH!
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

Great win to get the Hoyas back on track. Like I said after the Loyola loss - this team will take some time to figure itself out. No one wins championships in February, so can’t get too up or down in the first three games. There are plenty of athletes on this roster, and we have a lot to be excited about with this group.

Attack unit was a major bright spot with Carroll showing flashes of Minicus, Bundy shooting efficiently, and the old TJ back with a classic 5 assist stat line.

Midfield looked solid with a ton of guys rotating through. Nice to see some new faces out there producing and getting reps. Still looking for Vardaro to get a little more involved, but should be scary once he starts to click.

Defense looked much better this week. On-ball they were way more aggressive, and guys are playing like they aren’t afraid to get beat. That said, the aggressive sliding was a notable improvement and finally felt like we were supporting dodgers. Huge win here.

In the cage the freshman is really settling in nicely with a ton of great stops and even some exciting plays out of the crease. He will raise the level of everyone around him if he can keep playing like this. Major kudos to him for coming back from a challenging first game against Loyola. Getting shelled can crush any goalie’s confidence, but clearly this kid has “it”. Really looking forward to watching him for four years.

In the middle of the field it was great to see Ball dominate at the X. As long as he stays healthy we should have an edge in a lot of games this season.

As far as areas for growth - the Hoyas need to be more careful with the ball. Too many sloppy turnovers and failed clears, but thankfully something entirely fixable and in their control. I anticipate this will be a focus this week for Coach Warne and the staff, particularly against Notre Dame and their 10-man.

Last point I’ll make: should Hess be getting reps on offense? Defensively and in the middle of the field he is a freak, but he used to fill it up on offense, and I would love to see him more on that side of the ball.

-Department of Motor Vehicles Guy
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

DMV_Guy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:52 pm Great win to get the Hoyas back on track. Like I said after the Loyola loss - this team will take some time to figure itself out. No one wins championships in February, so can’t get too up or down in the first three games. There are plenty of athletes on this roster, and we have a lot to be excited about with this group.

Attack unit was a major bright spot with Carroll showing flashes of Minicus, Bundy shooting efficiently, and the old TJ back with a classic 5 assist stat line.

Midfield looked solid with a ton of guys rotating through. Nice to see some new faces out there producing and getting reps. Still looking for Vardaro to get a little more involved, but should be scary once he starts to click.

Defense looked much better this week. On-ball they were way more aggressive, and guys are playing like they aren’t afraid to get beat. That said, the aggressive sliding was a notable improvement and finally felt like we were supporting dodgers. Huge win here.

In the cage the freshman is really settling in nicely with a ton of great stops and even some exciting plays out of the crease. He will raise the level of everyone around him if he can keep playing like this. Major kudos to him for coming back from a challenging first game against Loyola. Getting shelled can crush any goalie’s confidence, but clearly this kid has “it”. Really looking forward to watching him for four years.

In the middle of the field it was great to see Ball dominate at the X. As long as he stays healthy we should have an edge in a lot of games this season.

As far as areas for growth - the Hoyas need to be more careful with the ball. Too many sloppy turnovers and failed clears, but thankfully something entirely fixable and in their control. I anticipate this will be a focus this week for Coach Warne and the staff, particularly against Notre Dame and their 10-man.

Last point I’ll make: should Hess be getting reps on offense? Defensively and in the middle of the field he is a freak, but he used to fill it up on offense, and I would love to see him more on that side of the ball.

-Department of Motor Vehicles Guy
Agree with all of this. Really like the consistency from Carroll producing from X. Finally getting Bundy involved and 4 goals on 5 shots plus 2 assists! Both Moore and Banks settling in and starting to look like difference makers. Foley and Chairs look really steady and solid out there. Ball played great and was able to get the win often even when he didn't win the initial clamp. If they can start getting Crogan and Vardaro humming the offense has a lot of potential.

I'd love to see better play on transition. Moore started pushing the tempo a bit with some great outlet passes but we just haven't been able to execute. I don't think we've had a transition goal yet this year. With three excellent veteran D mids this should be a strength of this team.
HGK

Post by HGK »

ND will be a real test obviously. The Loyola loss may make this a BEC or done scenario. That said, if can really compete with ND, beat Brown, HPU, Dartmouth and Richmond (which would likely be a top 15 win), there is a non AQ path if add in regular season wins vs Marquette and Denver and lose in BEC finals i’d guess. But realistically this team will need to win the BE to get to the tournament. So compete hard this weekend, keep getting better, hopefully do well in rest of OOC schedule and hopefully be hitting on all cylinders come BE play.
Finster

Post by Finster »

HGK wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:57 pm ND will be a real test obviously. The Loyola loss may make this a BEC or done scenario. That said, if can really compete with ND, beat Brown, HPU, Dartmouth and Richmond (which would likely be a top 15 win), there is a non AQ path if add in regular season wins vs Marquette and Denver and lose in BEC finals i’d guess. But realistically this team will need to win the BE to get to the tournament. So compete hard this weekend, keep getting better, hopefully do well in rest of OOC schedule and hopefully be hitting on all cylinders come BE play.

Hoyas in good shape after one. 3-1.

That said, fairly sloppy game so far on both sides.
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:29 pm
HGK wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:57 pm ND will be a real test obviously. The Loyola loss may make this a BEC or done scenario. That said, if can really compete with ND, beat Brown, HPU, Dartmouth and Richmond (which would likely be a top 15 win), there is a non AQ path if add in regular season wins vs Marquette and Denver and lose in BEC finals i’d guess. But realistically this team will need to win the BE to get to the tournament. So compete hard this weekend, keep getting better, hopefully do well in rest of OOC schedule and hopefully be hitting on all cylinders come BE play.

Hoyas in good shape after one. 3-1.

That said, fairly sloppy game so far on both sides.
Gtown looking very composed. 4-3 GT at half. Their defense has been great. ND has a few garbage goals (they seem to get a few a game).
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

What the ell was that call ?!

Should have been a save and a re-set and ball back to G-town w/ re-set 60 sec. shot clock.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Let's go!!!!!! Great win Hoyas
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Warne rolling around on the ground is really a bad look. Act like you have been there before.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Great game!
Finster

Post by Finster »

tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:23 pmGreat game!

Incredible! Best sport to watch and play!

Congrats Hoyas!!!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Quality win, Johns Hopkins!!!

Oh yeah, and nice win for GT. Congrats.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”