PENN STATE 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: PENN STATE 2019

Post by molo »

Number one seed, sure. Clear favorite, not so sure. Win a NCAAT game first.
molo

Post by molo »

Number one seed, sure. Clear favorite, not so sure. Win a NCAAT game first.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:41 pm Number one seed, sure. Clear favorite, not so sure. Win a NCAAT game first.
They lost one game this season, and it was by 1 goal to the defending champions. (I also thought they were the better overall team that day, but Ierlan was the difference.) They score over 17 goals per game. They're a juggernaut, in a tier unto themselves. Of course, being the favorite doesn't necessarily mean they will win it all but headed into the tournament I think it's totally fair to call them a clear favorite. I don't really care if they've never won an NCAA game before. This team is not those teams.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

molo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:41 pm Number one seed, sure. Clear favorite, not so sure. Win a NCAAT game first.
zing!... Wow molo, you've got your NCAAT game face on :D
molo

Post by molo »

No trouble with UMBC-Marist winner. Chalk up a win in this one.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

This one will be similar to the uva romp. PSU by 10+.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

UMBC, for those who have not noticed, is a different team today than the beginning of the year. I'm not saying they will win, but I would not count this as a done deal until the final whistle is blown. They have zero to lose. The FOGO spot is where this will difficult for UMBC, obviously. But to count them out before anyone hits the field is silly.
viper

Post by viper »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:51 am UMBC, for those who have not noticed, is a different team today than the beginning of the year. I'm not saying they will win, but I would not count this as a done deal until the final whistle is blown. They have zero to lose. The FOGO spot is where this will difficult for UMBC, obviously. But to count them out before anyone hits the field is silly.
16 goal lead with seconds left in the 3rd. Why are the starters still in???? Would be a bad time to lose Ament or OKeefe or Kelly to injury......
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Come on guys, call off the dogs. Suit up some guys from the stands for the 4th qtr. :mrgreen:
viper

Post by viper »

Big Dog wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:50 pm Come on guys, call off the dogs. Suit up some guys from the stands for the 4th qtr. :mrgreen:
Good time to give some of the bench players some field time during the tournament. Let them play hard and score if possible, but its good for their younger guys, or even the guys who don't get much time and it keeps the starters healthy for the next games.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Penn State.
They had a few other teams that could have made the NCAAs, back when tournament entry was more restrictive.
One team I know for sure, was tournament worthy.
And they may have even won a tournament game.
But, Penn State is/was a football school, there simply wasn’t the kind of time and effort required, then.
Now, with the move to the B1G, the Penn State AD has taken notice of lacrosse. I personally would not minimize to an extent the Chris Hogan impact, a Penn State lacrosse alum starting wide receiver on a Super Bowl winning team, that’s not a small thing.
And also, there are the players they are getting now. Grant Ament from a young age said specifically he wanted to play lacrosse at Penn State.

Congrats also to former Penn State lacrosse Alum, some of which I played with and against :!: :!:
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

Hi
laxtalker

Post by laxtalker »

Still need to tighten up on the defensive end.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

Coach T will definitely be mentioning the unforced turnovers....
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

As a Loyola alum, i'm terrified of your offense and to what it could do to the hound's defense. Expecting an offensive fireworks display next sunday. Can't wait to see what Spencer and Ament can do for their respective teams
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

This game could have a significant bearing on the Tewaaraton selection. It provides the winner with/ two more games to shine, and provides a "head to head" comparison that the lacrosse media seem to love.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

faircornell wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:10 pm This game could have a significant bearing on the Tewaaraton selection. It provides the winner with/ two more games to shine, and provides a "head to head" comparison that the lacrosse media seem to love.

That award was decided this past weekend. Spencer brought his team to a W over Syracuse, while all PSU had to do was (unfortunately) just show up versus UMBC. UMBC played their wing FO unit as poorly as any High School team you will ever see, with zero change in strategy as the game progressed. I have never seen two wing poles stand right on top of each other leaving no doubt who was going to win the FO when the ball popped out (and that's not counting the clean wins by Arceri).

In any event, just like Yale, when PSU loses the FO battle, or is drawn to a stalemate, they lose (meaning the rest of the team isn't as wonderful as advertised). But, FO's are (still) part of the sport, so here we are. Win FO's against Arceri, and really good teams will beat PSU.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

In 2011, Rob Pannell was on a team that lost in the Quarter Finals, and lost a chance at the Tewaaraton. Spencer is a truly great player, and you may be right. The award process is fickle, and Amant is a really impressive player as well.
Last edited by faircornell on Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 am
faircornell wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:10 pm This game could have a significant bearing on the Tewaaraton selection. It provides the winner with/ two more games to shine, and provides a "head to head" comparison that the lacrosse media seem to love.
That award was decided this past weekend. Spencer brought his team to a W over Syracuse, while all PSU had to do was (unfortunately) just show up versus UMBC. UMBC played their wing FO unit as poorly as any High School team you will ever see, with zero change in strategy as the game progressed. I have never seen two wing poles stand right on top of each other leaving no doubt who was going to win the FO when the ball popped out (and that's not counting the clean wins by Arceri).

In any event, just like Yale, when PSU loses the FO battle, or is drawn to a stalemate, they lose (meaning the rest of the team isn't as wonderful as advertised). But, FO's are (still) part of the sport, so here we are. Win FO's against Arceri, and really good teams will beat PSU.
Terrible analysis, PB.
I mean, horrible.

The player of the year, they’re purposely waiting for this game. It could well be that Spencer has it all but locked up, but still, this game will factor in.

You could say the same about any team, lose at the face off, and you’re just another team. Well, no kidding, Arceri isn’t Ierlan.

Loyola has their work cut out for them.

If Stover plays as well as he can play, and Loyola’s defense can at least hold par, the Hounds have a good shot.

I’m guessing Tambroni has already conceded his team really can’t stop Spencer, so he’ll key on the other players, Lindley and Scanlon most especially.

The real problem for the Hounds, and other teams have had the same problem, is depth. State goes two deep easy at midfield. No way the Hounds match that.

And also, who do the Hounds have on defense who can match up well with Ament and O’Keefe ?
I don’t see anybody.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 am

Terrible analysis, PB.
I mean, horrible.

The player of the year, they’re purposely waiting for this game. It could well be that Spencer has it all but locked up, but still, this game will factor in.

You could say the same about any team, lose at the face off, and you’re just another team. Well, no kidding, Arceri isn’t Ierlan.

Loyola has their work cut out for them.

If Stover plays as well as he can play, and Loyola’s defense can at least hold par, the Hounds have a good shot.

I’m guessing Tambroni has already conceded his team really can’t stop Spencer, so he’ll key on the other players, Lindley and Scanlon most especially.

The real problem for the Hounds, and other teams have had the same problem, is depth. State goes two deep easy at midfield. No way the Hounds match that.

And also, who do the Hounds have on defense who can match up well with Ament and O’Keefe ?
I don’t see anybody.

I don't think that's true for many teams (some teams have defenses that hold up well even when not winning FO's), but for PSU, they MUST get their FO's because that defense is suspect...

So far as the Hounds' defense, they can keep Ament and O'Keefe in check (to the extent that perhaps 2 goals a piece is keeping someone in check). But you're correct, PSU runs deeper than just those two guys. Shut off the top two, you still have problems defending this team. What's clear is almost no one has slowed them down this year with perhaps the exception of Yale.

This will again be a game where Loyola is not expected to win and likely won't. Loyola likes to run and gun, which is probably not the optimal way to play PSU (which can probably run and gun better than anyone, and likes to)). I'd think a much more methodical offense (more like Yale's) will be the type to beat PSU.

If Bailey goes for north of 50%, I'd give this game to Loyola.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”