~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
thatsmell

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by thatsmell »

Watched the game on ESPN. Excellent play by the Hounds. Lots of weapons this year. Like what I saw from team chemistry too. This team looks tight knit. Gunks did make it sound like the G'town staff called for a check specifically on Trent. The refs usually grab a stick to check on timeouts, but usually from a player exiting the field. Guess he was in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Not a good way to get 'attention' from the coaching staff...
:lol:

Fortunately it didn't impact the game. Lesson learned for the young man and team.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:01 pm
Pork42 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:18 am
GreyingHound wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:44 pm
ny10458 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:46 pm Loyola fans, I am sorry about what's about to happen this coming Saturday.
This post did not age well.

Great day at Ridley today! I was pleasantly surprised by a very complete game from the Hounds. The offense was clicking extremely well, with lots of players partaking in the action. The defense looked more mature than I expected given the number of new faces, and we even reversed the faceoff disparity in the 4th quarter when it mattered. Very encouraged by this start!

Oh, and boy did the fans show up today! Ridley was rocking!
Ridley is a great place to watch a game and the hounds are hard to beat there. Visiting goalies have a real hard time finding the ball against the back drop of that white dome in the one end especially on sunny days and Loyola takes full advantage of that.
Loyola goalies deal with the same conditions for 50% of the game. The Hounds came to play and Gtown had no answers.

They did come to play can't deny 18 goals for sure D looked solid as well. The Hounds are a hunting. Just saying after talking to goalies who have played Ridley they hate that darn white bubble at the one end.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:19 pm What a day. Other than Face off the entire team played phenomenal. James with 9 points. Poitras and Minicus with 4 goals each. Heuston added two and Higgins and Salley were on the scoreboard. Surprised that none of the backup guys got in late. A conundrum at midfield with Heuston, Higgins and Kamish running 1st and Binney (who also scored), Lindsay, Murphy and Haberman alternating on second. Was hoping to see Dixon who I heard had a great January as well as guys like Cote, McGory and West get some action especially at 18-10 late. McCullouch also only got one shift which was odd.
Defensively the close D was excellent as well as the LSMs. SSDM could be an issue. Saw Sullivan and Callahan get beat on straight speed a couple of times although both were great in the clearing game.
Staudt was solid.

Can’t wait for Maryland Saturday. Go Hounds.
Game one. Convincing win. 18 goals from the offense. We already have posts questioning the lineups and shifts. Gonna be a long season on here.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Houndfan73 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:16 pm
Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:19 pm What a day. Other than Face off the entire team played phenomenal. James with 9 points. Poitras and Minicus with 4 goals each. Heuston added two and Higgins and Salley were on the scoreboard. Surprised that none of the backup guys got in late. A conundrum at midfield with Heuston, Higgins and Kamish running 1st and Binney (who also scored), Lindsay, Murphy and Haberman alternating on second. Was hoping to see Dixon who I heard had a great January as well as guys like Cote, McGory and West get some action especially at 18-10 late. McCullouch also only got one shift which was odd.
Defensively the close D was excellent as well as the LSMs. SSDM could be an issue. Saw Sullivan and Callahan get beat on straight speed a couple of times although both were great in the clearing game.
Staudt was solid.

Game one. Convincing win. 18 goals from the offense. We already have posts questioning the lineups and shifts. Gonna be a long season on here.

:lol: :lol:

A good general rule of thumb when anyone consistently questions a lineup after a solid win is that poster probably never played lacrosse. Doesn't take away from their enthusiasm for the game, but when a team such as Loyola beats a team such as G-town by a score of 18-10, it's safest to sit back and just congratulate the Loyola coaches for their game plans, rather than try to micromanage whatever small faults you could find in the game.

Loyola had by far the most eye-opening result from Week 1. No rest for the weary with the upcoming match against Maryland; of all the games this weekend, this is the one that I'd most like to see in person.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Finster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:15 am
Staudt was solid.

A good general rule of thumb when anyone consistently questions a lineup after a solid win is that poster probably never played lacrosse. Doesn't take away from their enthusiasm for the game, but when a team such as Loyola beats a team such as G-town by a score of 18-10, it's safest to sit back and just congratulate the Loyola coaches for their game plans, rather than try to micromanage whatever small faults you could find in the game.

Loyola had by far the most eye-opening result from Week 1. No rest for the weary with the upcoming match against Maryland; of all the games this weekend, this is the one that I'd most like to see in person.
Sorry but I played for Charlie and respect him tremendously. Just watching the game I was a bit surprised that at 18-10 with four minutes left he left ALL of the starters in. Thought that some of the subs would get a run or two which obviously would help their development. Given the next three games I doubt the Hounds will be in a similar situation to open up the bench. Opportunity to get young guys gametime is something every coach relishes. Was surprised Toomey didn’t jump at the opportunity.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Formerhound wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:25 pm
Finster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:15 am :lol: :lol:

Sorry but I played for Charlie and respect him tremendously. Just watching the game I was a bit surprised that at 18-10 with four minutes left he left ALL of the starters in. Thought that some of the subs would get a run or two which obviously would help their development. Given the next three games I doubt the Hounds will be in a similar situation to open up the bench. Opportunity to get young guys gametime is something every coach relishes. Was surprised Toomey didn’t jump at the opportunity.
So, you're telling me the user formerhound, is a former hound- that did play lacrosse?! Wouldn't have guessed it.

100% agree with you, though. MD, Hop and Rutgers up next.. not sure how many of these games Hounds will be up by 8 with 4 minutes left.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Staudt was solid.

Development happens in the offseason.
And coffee is for closers!
:lol:

I half kid. I get what you're saying, but no coach is reaching to the bench in the season opener against G'town. You started the season unranked. This is time to make a big jump in perception, and to hopefully help the resume later in May. You want to keep the pedal to the metal to make a nice reference point for the selection committee. If any kids need game experience, they can get it once things settle a bit. There will likely be opportunities against other opponents.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Staudt was solid.

I agree with your take... you have to play that 3rd line and give them quality time, No one is saying wholesale changes, but letting the 9 or 1oth middies get runs would not hurt or the 5 or 6th pole. that develops depth and that is what is need to make a run for championship weekend,
random observer

Post by random observer »

laxbro11 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:45 am
Staudt was solid.

I agree with your take... you have to play that 3rd line and give them quality time, No one is saying wholesale changes, but letting the 9 or 1oth middies get runs would not hurt or the 5 or 6th pole. that develops depth and that is what is need to make a run for championship weekend,
One thing that's always stood out to me is how Duke regularly shifts its lineups (especially at the midfield) on a game-by-game basis. Deep into April, you'll see guys pop up on the second and third midfield lines and get meaningful PT who have been buried on the depth chart up to that point.

Of course this isn't directly applicable to Loyola or the game against Georgetown -- few teams have the luxury of the kind of depth Duke has. But it's very notable to me because nobody else in D1 really does what Duke does to nearly the same extent. Equally notable is the fact that despite stacked recruiting classes and heavily dipping into the transfer portal, I don't think a single player has transferred from Duke to another program in at least the past decade. I don't think these two are unrelated, and it's easy to understand why: it's much easier to get all of your players to buy in when they know their effort and performance in practice will actually be noticed and rewarded deep into the season.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

random observer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:10 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:45 am
Staudt was solid.

One thing that's always stood out to me is how Duke regularly shifts its lineups (especially at the midfield) on a game-by-game basis. Deep into April, you'll see guys pop up on the second and third midfield lines and get meaningful PT who have been buried on the depth chart up to that point.

Of course this isn't directly applicable to Loyola or the game against Georgetown -- few teams have the luxury of the kind of depth Duke has. But it's very notable to me because nobody else in D1 really does what Duke does to nearly the same extent. Equally notable is the fact that despite stacked recruiting classes and heavily dipping into the transfer portal, I don't think a single player has transferred from Duke to another program in at least the past decade. I don't think these two are unrelated, and it's easy to understand why: it's much easier to get all of your players to buy in when they know their effort and performance in practice will actually be noticed and rewarded deep into the season.
Great point. Two seasons ago we were hammering Duke. In the fourth quarter Duke put their 3rd and fourth lines of midfield in and they scored a bunch of goals to bring the game close. I was a second/third/fourth line middie all three years I played. It was tough to go through the grind knowing you weren’t going to play.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Where'd the offense go?!

:cry:
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:00 pm Where'd the offense go?!

Hard to get offense going when they have turnovers from bad passes, a hot goalie from the terps, and when our guys can’t win a matchup..

Throw in getting dominated at the faceoff again spells a recipe for a loss
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:11 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:00 pm Where'd the offense go?!

Hard to get offense going when they have turnovers from bad passes, a hot goalie from the terps, and when our guys can’t win a matchup..

Throw in getting dominated at the faceoff again spells a recipe for a loss
The inconsistancy of the offense has been a problem for the last couple of years. Poitras and James 0 for and Minicus 1 of 5. You will not win many games that way. Face off, it will be the down fall.

It was like watching two different teams, 18 against gtown and 4 against Maryland. Hopkins will be an interesting game
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Wow. Couldn’t make today’s game. Kinda glad. Watched on TV. Just can’t believe that three attack who combined for 13 goals and 18 points against a good Georgetown team could come up so empty today. Bad start. Down 4-0. Bad shots and bad turnovers. When your FOGO can’t win draws you have to protect the ball.
When it got to 4-3 I was thinking momentum. No sooner did we score to make it 4-3 Maryland wins the draw and goes down and scores. All of a sudden it was 8-3 and game over.
Defense and Staudt played well. Luke made some huge saves. Middies, other than Heuston, did nothing. Nobody created any offense. When your attacking line is all but shut out we need veterans like Kamish, Lindsay, Higgins and Binney to step up. Haberman had a great goal dodging from X. Rest were invisible.
Pacheco needs to figure things out. Of his four FO wins we threw the ball away twice before getting the offensive mids on the field.
Could be a long season against teams with good FOGOs.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Better that these losses happen early than late and much to take away from this game. It will only make them better and I would expect the game against Hop is very competitive.
I was surprised by the Hounds offensive output as MD kept the pressure on them and they just struggled to beat their matchups. It’s early but the Terps defense may have played their most productive game of the season.
I’m really surprised or should I say very happy with the Hounds defense this far. They felt the pressure from not winning a faceoff and took that challenge head on. Reynolds was a great pickup and can shut down a #1 offensive matchup and Sally logs productive miles. 2nd line SS’s are athletic and will improve every week.
Staudt played great, was probably +5 for the Hounds yesterday and can also thank the pipes for saving 3/4. They’ll need him to make the unmakable saves every game as long as the faceoff struggles continue.
Faceoffs, saw an interview with Coach T and he said he didn’t believe that faceoffs cost them the game, it was a lack of offensive production. Maybe he’s right but man I hope they can figure this thing out. Besides losing the draw the inability to pick up a GB or win a GB is concerning.
On to Hop, go Hounds!!!
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Good luck, and looking forward to a great game.

If it is any consolation, I believe that UMD's defense is up there with UVA and ND.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Looking forward to the Jays game also...
My favorite memory of this series was the mid-week match in 1959 when the Jays won 29 - 3.
Morrill and Webster played only the first quarter or the final would have been 49 - 3...!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Terp fan here but the game really surprised me. Thought we'd see a 1-goal kind of game.

As an outsider, two things stood out to me (aside from your goalie keeping the game as close as it was). One, your rope unit didn't hold up too well. The Terps attacked the shorties and LSMs on inverts for the entire game.Outside of Sally, the physical differences between Greyhound shorties and whoever they guarded was noticeable.

Two, the offensive midfield needs to be more assertive. Since Loyola wanted to run so much of its offense through the attack unit (and it's easy to see why given how good those 3 attackmen are), it made the midfield look like bystanders. I've been a huge fan of Higgins since he arrived on campus there. I always feel like he can be a QB from the midfield kind of guy. When he dodges on inverts, he's so dangerous.

It felt like the game plan success from the Georgetown game affected the game plan against Maryland. The Terps just sat on Loyola's attack unit, and the whole offense bogged down. Expected the midfield to do more.

After Maryland scrimmaged Georgetown, it was apparent that Georgetown's close defense couldn't match feet; and James, Poitras, and Minicus annihilated those match-ups. But Maryland's close defense is the defense's strength. Seemed like a strange thing to attack.

But beat Hopkins!
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:00 pm Terp fan here but the game really surprised me. Thought we'd see a 1-goal kind of game.

As an outsider, two things stood out to me (aside from your goalie keeping the game as close as it was). One, your rope unit didn't hold up too well. The Terps attacked the shorties and LSMs on inverts for the entire game.Outside of Sally, the physical differences between Greyhound shorties and whoever they guarded was noticeable.

Two, the offensive midfield needs to be more assertive. Since Loyola wanted to run so much of its offense through the attack unit (and it's easy to see why given how good those 3 attackmen are), it made the midfield look like bystanders. I've been a huge fan of Higgins since he arrived on campus there. I always feel like he can be a QB from the midfield kind of guy. When he dodges on inverts, he's so dangerous.

It felt like the game plan success from the Georgetown game affected the game plan against Maryland. The Terps just sat on Loyola's attack unit, and the whole offense bogged down. Expected the midfield to do more.

After Maryland scrimmaged Georgetown, it was apparent that Georgetown's close defense couldn't match feet; and James, Poitras, and Minicus annihilated those match-ups. But Maryland's close defense is the defense's strength. Seemed like a strange thing to attack.

But beat Hopkins!
Couldn’t agree more with your post. Middies have to do more. When Higgins and Kamish arrived on campus I was excited. Each year though they’ve seemed to regress. As a freshman Higging had 6 G and 14 points in limited duty. As a sophomore he showed his dodging ability and put up 15G. Last year he only had 12 G and only 5 in the last ten games of the season. I really thought he’d become a 20-25 goal per year guys with his physical skill sets. Watching the end of last season and the beginning of this it’s almost like he has lost confidence in dodging off the wing and scoring. Kamish is another one. As a freshman he had 8 G in only 6 games. The following year he had 9 G in only 5 games. The next year was 19 G in 15 games. Again, he regressed last year to 9G in 13 games (he did miss a few with injuries to his knee). This year he’s been absolutely absent. His two shots on Saturday v Maryland were both left handed and from distance. McNaney made easy saves on both. He only had one shot in the first game also. Maybe he’s lost a step from his injury last year but boy has he been a disappointment. From a guy that had 36 goals in his first 26 games to a guy that has 2 G in his last eight games was something I never would have predicted.
Matt Heuston, on the other hand, has impressed. 3 G in two games, all on speed dodges and good shots. Binney, who looked good last week was invisible Saturday except for his two turnovers and one shot that landed outside the stadium.
The fifth veteran at midfield is Davis Lindsay who, in my opinion, is a much better attack man than he is coming out of the box. His late goal Saturday was reminiscent of the goals he scored the past few years as an attack.
Would love to see some of the younger middies get some time. Haberman had a great goal dodging from x. While Murphy hasn’t done much in his two games he has good speed. Matt Dixon, Brady West, Ryan McGory and Austin Cote all were very highly recruited. I’ve noticed, however, over the past few years that Van and Charlie seem smitten with their veterans even when they don’t produce. Remember Liam Bateman, Riley Seay and Dan Wigley and how they failed to produce their last two years but kept on being put out there? I get wanting veterans but these young guys need to be given a chance if the vets aren’t producing. Charlie has always liked veterans.

Let’s hope for a turn around this weekend v Hopkins. Can’t wait to be at Homewood Saturday. Let’s hope the offense turns it around. Nothing would make me happier than to see Kamish and Higgins go off and take some pressure off the attack. I’ve seen them do it before and there’s no reason why they can’t do it again. Go Hounds.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”