Worst Team in D1

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HockeyLaxGolf42

Worst Team in D1

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

With SJU losing to NJIT, and the mighty QU Bobcats/Hofstra pride on deck, is there an argument that SJU is at the basement of D1 lax?
DebitLaxPlayable

Re: Worst Team in D1

Post by DebitLaxPlayable »

Respect to them for building their program up, but there’s no way Hampton isn’t the worst D1 program
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

I think it is safe to say there are several teams in D1 that are struggling to field competitive teams.

The bottom 15 D1 teams all have a losing record.
Of those teams last year, only 3 teams have a win vs a team with a winning record.
Those 15 bottom teams have a combined record last year of 41 and 167. With 39 of those wins coming from other bottom 15 teams.

As for the bottom of that group

U Mass Lowell had no wins
SJU had no wins
Hampton had no wins vs other D1 schools
St Bonneventure and Holly Cross only one win
Detroit and Queens only had two wins. Each team beat Hampton

I think a top 10 high school team with teenagers would beat any of the bottom five team 10 out of 10 times. I think they would beat the bottom 15 a majority of those 10 times.

I would say you could pick any of those

I would say
HockeyLaxGolf42

DebitLaxPlayable wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:19 pm Respect to them for building their program up, but there’s no way Hampton isn’t the worst D1 program
Wasn’t really counting them. They get a pass from me. Was more so thinking about the teams that were established D1 programs that are just an embarrassment to field
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:46 pm I think it is safe to say there are several teams in D1 that are struggling to field competitive teams.

Of those teams last year, only 3 teams have a win vs a team with a winning record.
Those 15 bottom teams have a combined record last year of 41 and 167. With 39 of those wins coming from other bottom 15 teams.

SJU had no wins

I think a top 10 high school team with teenagers would beat any of the bottom five team 10 out of 10 times. I think they would beat the bottom 15 a majority of those 10 times.

I would say
Huge jump from HS to college. If you were to look at the end of last season Colgate at 2-9 would be a bottom 15 team. Do you think a top HS team could beat Penn State?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:49 pm
DebitLaxPlayable wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:19 pm Respect to them for building their program up, but there’s no way Hampton isn’t the worst D1 program
Wasn’t really counting them. They get a pass from me. Was more so thinking about the teams that were established D1 programs that are just an embarrassment to field
They get a pass from me as well.

I'd say the bottom of the D1 barrel are:
Umass Lowell, St Bonnies, Holy Cross, and UDM.

Honorable Mention:
Wagner
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:55 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:46 pm I think it is safe to say there are several teams in D1 that are struggling to field competitive teams.

SJU had no wins

I would say
Huge jump from HS to college. If you were to look at the end of last season Colgate at 2-9 would be a bottom 15 team. Do you think a top HS team could beat Penn State?
Colgate had two wins, but several close games against good teams. They beat Navy last year. The lost to Army and Air Force by a goal. They are a mid level team.

They lost 9 games by a combined 32 goals. That is a 3 goal average loss. There is a huge gap between a mid level D1 team and the bottom 15.
HockeyLaxGolf42

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:56 pm

Honorable Mention:
Wagner

Think this is pretty accurate. Would add VMI and SJU. NJIT not too good either.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:07 pm

SJU had no wins

I would say
Colgate had two wins, but several close games against good teams. They beat Navy last year. The lost to Army and Air Force by a goal. They are a mid level team.

They lost 9 games by a combined 32 goals. That is a 3 goal average loss. There is a huge gap between a mid level D1 team and the bottom 15.
I am sure all the coaches and players are working hard to get better, not every school and kid is great, but they love the game.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

St Johns hasn’t won a game since March 2022. Twenty one straight losses, which is pretty incredible.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Worst topic in a while, hitting them when they are down doesn't help. Every one of these teams has dedicated staff and athletes trying their best to get better every day and recruit players. We should be encouraging them to succeed not trying to embarrass them for who knows what reason.

I nominate this as the Worst Post in Fanlax history.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Totally agree.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:29 pm Worst topic in a while, hitting them when they are down doesn't help. Every one of these teams has dedicated staff and athletes trying their best to get better every day and recruit players. We should be encouraging them to succeed not trying to embarrass them for who knows what reason.

agreed. i'd love to see film on every poster taking low brow shots at these teams and be able to critique them here.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:35 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:29 pm Worst topic in a while, hitting them when they are down doesn't help. Every one of these teams has dedicated staff and athletes trying their best to get better every day and recruit players. We should be encouraging them to succeed not trying to embarrass them for who knows what reason.

agreed. i'd love to see film on every poster taking low brow shots at these teams and be able to critique them here.
I don’t think anyone is attacking the teams. Every one of these kids is playing D1 college lacrosse. That itself is impressive.

But reality is that every sport ranks every team. I am sure those bottom teams are working hard to get better ever day.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We gotta get rid of this thread. And I can be out there but this is crazy. Even if we want to discuss how programs with room for development improve this is not how anyone wants to roll on here and see their team discussed.

When you get empathy form me you know someone did something crossing lines…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

SJU had no wins

I would say
I think if you read closely what he said, it was 10 of 10 against bottom 5. Majority against bottom 15.

I think 10 of 10 against bottom 5 is over stated, as any given day a team can outperform, but 8 of 10 or better, sure, especially if you narrowed that to top 5 HS teams. The top 10 high school teams have numerous players who will start or heavily contribute to top 20 teams the following year or the year thereafter. Plenty of talent and well coached for numerous years. Very few of those players will end up at a bottom 5 D1 team.

Yes, the maturation is important, size, etc, but they're often more physically capable than many, perhaps the majority, of players on the bottom level teams....and with much better stick work and field sense.

The majority against bottom 15 would need to be a random selection of the bottom 15...I agree that a Colgate or Bucknell for instance would be a big stretch for a high school team, though not impossible for the best of the HS teams in a given year. I'd definitely bet heavily on a Colgate or Bucknell in those match ups (not sure how Penn state got in the discussion?) But the random includes teams in that bottom 5 too...

That all said, I agree with xxxxx and others that this is a very poor topic and certainly no reason to insult guys who are working hard playing the game they love just because some other group of young men may be just enough better to beat them.

Long time ago, but when I arrived at my alma mater having played on arguably the top HS team nationally my senior year in HS (8 of 10 starters were AA in college, an equal # in the back-ups), we went down to Rutgers for a fall scrimmage. My sister, 3 years younger, was horrified by what she saw, guys who couldn't catch, didn't know where to go...ugly. She remarked to my dad that her HS girls team would beat us...ouch...My HS team would have crushed that DI team and we were about 30 in D1 those first 2 years. And yeah, for two years, we were pretty terrible, winning a few, losing a lot, some horribly, though we never lost a fight (my teammates, many primarily football players, loved to fight)...but by junior season we were top 10, beating the #2 team in an upset.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:49 pm

I don’t think anyone is attacking the teams. Every one of these kids is playing D1 college lacrosse. That itself is impressive.

But reality is that every sport ranks every team. I am sure those bottom teams are working hard to get better ever day.
You don't think anyone is attacking the teams? From the guy who said a high school team could beat them, really?
Last edited by xxxxxxx on Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:56 pm

Honorable Mention:
Wagner
SBU is three years old.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Given how fragile D1 lacrosse existence is this can have a real impact even if we all think this is nonsense on these boards.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:49 pm

Why its use language like teams who have the most room to improve or similar rather than worst?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”