Rutgers vs. Villanova Men’s Lacrosse Scrimmage

D1 Mens Lacrosse
TronLax1

Rutgers vs. Villanova Men’s Lacrosse Scrimmage

Post by TronLax1 »

Dominant victory for Rutgers today vs. Villanova. Unofficial score of 18 or 19 to 3. Great play by all units on Rutgers. FO and Goalie play were very strong.
Njlaxx11

Re: Rutgers vs. Villanova Men’s Lacrosse Scrimmage

Post by Njlaxx11 »

TronLax1 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:46 pm Dominant victory for Rutgers today vs. Villanova. Unofficial score of 18 or 19 to 3. Great play by all units on Rutgers. FO and Goalie play were very strong.
love to hear it! go ru!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

That is an ass whooping. Rarely see scores like that.

Can't wait for the Simon Connor meme poster to get wind of this.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Villanova always has very solid teams. They did not look as strong today. Rutgers was down 0-2 and completely dominated every aspect of play finishing on a 21-1 run. Lots to like about the new players mixed in with the known. Goalie Stoller is outstanding. Kelly and Krummenacher are great additions to the attack. Ball movement was as good as I've seen from Rutgers in the last 5 years. Athletes all over the field and physically dominant, like Big Ten line of scrimmage. Scrappy and no weaknesses is what I take from the first two scrimmages against BU and Villanova. Maybe there is something brewing on the Banks this year.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

The one downside I've heard about Rutgers is that Dartmouth grad transfer, starting D for Rutgers Peter Rizzotti may miss a few weeks with a leg injury. I have no specific details.

Post by 1766 »

Villanova jumped out quickly to a 2 goal lead but after that it was all Rutgers. It's been said before but outside of a few select non Big Ten/Acc teams, the size and physicality of these leagues seems like it's starting to very clearly separate. Villanova was having a very hard time winning match-up's whether on offense or defense. Rutgers was much faster in the middle of the field leading to either created turnovers or saves that quickly got up field for NASCAR goals. The transfer from Canisius is going to be handful. He's a big kid that can run and has a shot in the same class as Bartolo and Kirst before him. This is allowing Ross Scott much more room to operate himself which is a tough ask for any defense. Krummancher is very crafty in the lefty spot. You can see what Coach Brecht and staff saw there and how he was able to have a gazillion points in D3. He's more than athletic enough to play at this level.

Overall a great day for the Knights. It will be interesting to see how Villanova fares but based on size, speed, and athleticism across the field, it was a very noticeable difference. I had the final 18-3 with most of the starters out midway through the third quarter. Only down point was seeing Rizzotti go down with an apparent lower leg injury. Hope he returns quickly being the big piece that he is.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

TronLax1 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:46 pm Dominant victory for Rutgers today vs. Villanova. Unofficial score of 18 or 19 to 3. Great play by all units on Rutgers. FO and Goalie play were very strong.
No idea about Rutgers, but Most college staffs don't look at scrimmages in terms of victories as they aren't played like regular games. They hope to be tested when the scores don't count so they can find & address any unexposed weaknesses. It's an evaluation of the varying units and what needs more focus and preparation before the real games start. Hard to get much needed information about your team from a dominating performance.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

blue angels wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:01 am
No idea about Rutgers, but Most college staffs don't look at scrimmages in terms of victories as they aren't played like regular games. They hope to be tested when the scores don't count so they can find & address any unexposed weaknesses. It's an evaluation of the varying units and what needs more focus and preparation before the real games start. Hard to get much needed information about your team from a dominating performance.
All things considered, I don’t think coaches prefer to see their team struggle vs be firing on all cylinders during a scrimmage. If the opponent isn’t doing their job to test and expose weaknesses, then good on your team for blowing them out.

Thats like saying you (or Lars) are happy that your starting fogo got dominated by Navy’s freshman backup fogo in a scrimmage. I would guess you’d feel a lot better coming out of the game if he dominated that matchup, given the uncertainty you have at the position and the effect it had on the overall team performance.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

BigTom5 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:31 am
blue angels wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:01 am
All things considered, I don’t think coaches prefer to see their team struggle vs be firing on all cylinders during a scrimmage. If the opponent isn’t doing their job to test and expose weaknesses, then good on your team for blowing them out.

Thats like saying you (or Lars) are happy that your starting fogo got dominated by Navy’s freshman backup fogo in a scrimmage. I would guess you’d feel a lot better coming out of the game if he dominated that matchup, given the uncertainty you have at the position and the effect it had on the overall team performance.
I can't speak for Lars, personally, but yes, I suspect Lars and most staff's want to know most, what needs work. There is always something for every team. You guys enjoy your scrimmage "Victory"

Post by 1766 »

I would argue both of these things can be true. You always want to win. It's a competitive situation with referees and people are keeping score. You also want to see your team get tested in all areas to see how they respond. Rutgers doesn't typically scrimmage in the fall but this year they did against Brown. They scrimmaged Adelphi which was exclusively for the younger guys. Their two main scrimmages in preseason were against BU and Villanova and neither put up much of a fight or exposed areas of weakness. I am guessing if you spoke to Coach Brecht about this topic he would have preferred to see more of a challenge, which Villanova has most often provided. On the plus side, he was able to see his team is fast, has size, and is athletic.

It's all irrelevant now. Lehigh comes in Saturday and this one counts.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

if a team is already on all cylinders and crushing against normally good to v good teams, it certainly can be a harbinger of good times. if rutgers is ready to roll, things could get really interesting in the b1g. and eventually the at large pool.

Post by 1766 »

A lot of positive momentum after the fall and early scrimmages. The running game is season ready. I didn't get a feel for settled offense because they completely overpowered both BU and Villanova. Big Ten teams will not get overpowered like that so it will be interesting to see how 6v6 develops. The starting attack is more dynamic with Kelly which should bode well for 6 on 6 which was a real strength last year until Cameron went down. It will be interesting to watch the defense which is big and rangy and has a new goalie getting his first live action. All talented, but inexperienced. Faceoffs will be another area to watch. Villanova got handled there pretty well and BU was similar but not as bad. The athletes in the middle of the field caused real issues for those teams, specifically Hund and Edwards. Those guys can move and scrap. Splaine at LSM is resembling a young Rall. Big Ten teams will be better able to match up in the middle of the field than those other scrimmaged teams.

Lots to like about the team and where they are in late Feb. Like every team, how much progress takes place during the season will tell the story. There is a lot to work with. Rutgers will be better and so will every other Big Ten team I believe. Should be an exciting season in conference.
wunw24!

Post by wunw24! »

Counted 8 Wildcats in street clothes. Possibly a few returners. One of their starting attackmen was injured during the scrimmage. Will be interesting to see how Nova responds against Princeton on Saturday.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”