Conference Shuffle

D3 Mens Lacrosse
balderdash

Conference Shuffle

Post by balderdash »

Just saw the UE/CSAC merger - assuming that leaves the NECC without an AQ path? Where did Hilbert/morrisville/wells/Laroche end up?

Are there any other conferences that are having mergers/realignment that could shake up AQ's/pool A & pool B bids?
balderdash

Re: Conference Shuffle

Post by balderdash »

From 22-23 alignment (heard they're are redoing some regional alignment?)

Region I - 59 schools
CCC - 9 schools
GNAC - 11 schools
LEC - 9 schools
NESCAC - 11 schools
NEWMAC - 7 schools
NAC - 9 schools (Cazenovia closed)
NECC - 3 schools - was RIII? - into pool B?

Region II - 35 teams
E8 - 7 schools (Medaille closed)
LL - 8 schools
SUNYAC - 8 schools
Skyline - 8 schools
UE - to RIII?
Remaining: Hilbert/LaRoche/SUNY-Morrisville/Wells - into pool B?

Region III - 54 teams
AEC - 7 schools moving to 6 (Cabrini closing after 24 season)
CC - 9 schools
CLC - 6 schools
UE / CSAC (not sure if RII or RIII) - 6 schools
Landmark - 10 schools (adding Lycoming and Wilkes)
MAC-F - 7 schools (losing Lycoming and Wilkes)
MAC-C - 9 schools

Region IV - 58 teams (57 eligible)
HCLC - 8 teams
NCAC - 9 teams
OAC - 10 teams
ODAC - 12 teams
PAC - 9 teams
USA South - 9 teams
Warren Wilson - think they are on their last year as a probationary member. 14kids on their roster last year with 4 seniors, are they even going to be able to field a team?

Region V - 36 teams
CCIW - 7 teams
MIAA - 7 teams
MLC - 6 teams
NACC - 9 teams
SAA - 7 teams (if BSC stays afloat)
Independent - 0 (Whittier cut MLAX)

241 eligible schools - (last year was 244)

28 pool A's assuming everyone gets the AQ now (think all conferences are through the probationary including the CLC)

7 pool B teams - does this meet a threshold for a pool B bid? Assuming no? thought last year there were 7 pool b's as the clc didn't have an AQ (not sure they were eligible for pool B) + whittier, and they didn't do a pool B bid. They are right on the line if I'm doing the access ratio right but my understanding is they round down to keep teams from going independent.

10 pool c's assuming they keep the tourney at 38. Per the formula they are right on the line of going down to 37 but assuming they will keep 38 for bracket simplicity.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

**Warren Wilson is C2C
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

balderdash wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:33 pm From 22-23 alignment (heard they're are redoing some regional alignment?)

Region I - 59 schools
CCC - 9 schools
GNAC - 11 schools
LEC - 9 schools
NESCAC - 11 schools
NEWMAC - 7 schools
NAC - 9 schools (Cazenovia closed)
NECC - 3 schools - was RIII? - into pool B?

Region II - 35 teams
E8 - 7 schools (Medaille closed)
LL - 8 schools
SUNYAC - 8 schools
Skyline - 8 schools
UE - to RIII?
Remaining: Hilbert/LaRoche/SUNY-Morrisville/Wells - into pool B?

Region III - 54 teams
AEC - 7 schools moving to 6 (Cabrini closing after 24 season)
CC - 9 schools
CLC - 6 schools
UE / CSAC (not sure if RII or RIII) - 6 schools
Landmark - 10 schools (adding Lycoming and Wilkes)
MAC-F - 7 schools (losing Lycoming and Wilkes)
MAC-C - 9 schools

Region IV - 58 teams (57 eligible)
HCLC - 8 teams
NCAC - 9 teams
OAC - 10 teams
ODAC - 12 teams
PAC - 9 teams
USA South - 9 teams
Warren Wilson - think they are on their last year as a probationary member. 14kids on their roster last year with 4 seniors, are they even going to be able to field a team?

Region V - 36 teams
CCIW - 7 teams
MIAA - 7 teams
MLC - 6 teams
NACC - 9 teams
SAA - 7 teams (if BSC stays afloat)
Independent - 0 (Whittier cut MLAX)

241 eligible schools - (last year was 244)

28 pool A's assuming everyone gets the AQ now (think all conferences are through the probationary including the CLC)

7 pool B teams - does this meet a threshold for a pool B bid? Assuming no? thought last year there were 7 pool b's as the clc didn't have an AQ (not sure they were eligible for pool B) + whittier, and they didn't do a pool B bid. They are right on the line if I'm doing the access ratio right but my understanding is they round down to keep teams from going independent.

10 pool c's assuming they keep the tourney at 38. Per the formula they are right on the line of going down to 37 but assuming they will keep 38 for bracket simplicity.
Warren Wilson is not joining C2L

Lebanon valley is moving to MAC freedom to make it 8/8
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

would've thought they would've tried to get into the USA South... probably a better fit demographic and regional travel wise.

the clc doesn't get an AQ till 2025. Meaning there will be a pool B this year, but it will de-facto go to the CLC winner.

Outside of the CLC, i don't really see the C2C being a sustainable conference long term for the other sports they support. Flying to California and Wisconsin every season for public schools for d3 sounds like a recipe for these schools finding other homes quickly. Kudos to the 3 New Jersey teams for joining the CLC, but it will be arguably one of the toughest paths to an AQ in the country once they're granted one. I wonder if they feel like it was a good move going away from the CSAC now... all 3 of those teams would've have a legit shot at the united east crown though St Mary's is solid. feel like time will tell in the next 2-3 years.

2024 Tournament Field: 2023 sponsors: 244/6.5 = 37.53 -> 38
Pool A: 27 AQ's
Pool B: 241-1 (ww ineligible) -6(clc) -7(necc/old ue leftovers) = 227÷27 = 8.407 access ratio. 13/8.407 = 1.546 -> 1 pool B (don't think they would round up)
Pool C: 38-27-1=10 pool C's

Really 1 more pool C opened up from last year as last year the CLC winner was still a pool C, this year they should be a pool B.
droliver

Post by droliver »

balderdash wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:33 pm SAA - 7 teams (if BSC stays afloat)
Birmingham Southern (BSC) got funding from the state and private donors so will be ok in the medium term (4-5+ yrs) financially apparently.

Also Southwestern(TX) is joining the SAA for 2024 play to make it an 8 team league for next spring.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Hearing there may be some big changes coming in the SUNYAC. Stay tuned.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

balderdash wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:46 pm would've thought they would've tried to get into the USA South... probably a better fit demographic and regional travel wise.

the clc doesn't get an AQ till 2025. Meaning there will be a pool B this year, but it will de-facto go to the CLC winner.

Outside of the CLC, i don't really see the C2C being a sustainable conference long term for the other sports they support. Flying to California and Wisconsin every season for public schools for d3 sounds like a recipe for these schools finding other homes quickly. Kudos to the 3 New Jersey teams for joining the CLC, but it will be arguably one of the toughest paths to an AQ in the country once they're granted one. I wonder if they feel like it was a good move going away from the CSAC now... all 3 of those teams would've have a legit shot at the united east crown though St Mary's is solid. feel like time will tell in the next 2-3 years.

2024 Tournament Field: 2023 sponsors: 244/6.5 = 37.53 -> 38
Pool A: 27 AQ's
Pool B: 241-1 (ww ineligible) -6(clc) -7(necc/old ue leftovers) = 227÷27 = 8.407 access ratio. 13/8.407 = 1.546 -> 1 pool B (don't think they would round up)
Pool C: 38-27-1=10 pool C's

Really 1 more pool C opened up from last year as last year the CLC winner was still a pool C, this year they should be a pool B.
CLC was a no brainer for the NJ schools, they already play CNU, Sals in football so the relationship is there. It also helps with recruiting, most competitive kids want to play against the best. As you said, it will take 2-3 years to see.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

sguy9 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:46 pm Hearing there may be some big changes coming in the SUNYAC. Stay tuned.
Heard the same thing. Conference could look a little different after this upcoming year.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

how many SUNY schools play lacrosse that don't play in the SUNYAC?

alfred state (AMCC/United East - 2025)
canton (NAC)
cobleskill (NAC)
delhi (NAC)
morrisville (old AMCC/United East)
poly (NAC)
purchase (Skyline)
farmingdale (Skyline)
maritime (Skyline)

do they have enough schools to go all SUNYAC and split east / west?
Leonard Washington

balderdash wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:32 am how many SUNY schools play lacrosse that don't play in the SUNYAC?

alfred state (AMCC/United East - 2025)
canton (NAC)
cobleskill (NAC)
delhi (NAC)
morrisville (old AMCC/United East)
poly (NAC)
purchase (Skyline)
farmingdale (Skyline)
maritime (Skyline)

do they have enough schools to go all SUNYAC and split east / west?
Enough schools, but definitely not enough interest, especially within the conference. With the exception (I believe) of Maritime and Purchase, the rest of the schools listed were 2 year/JUCO at one-time and a number of them still offer 2 year degrees. That along with them having agriculture and tech degrees, travel and "watering down" the SUNYAC (not my words btw lol) overall is why they have not transitioned to a bigger/super conference involving those other teams. SUNYAC also already has Buffalo State and Fredonia (WLAX) and probably were not looking for any additions until very recently.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

Didn't Alfred State shut down their Lax program last year?
Leonard Washington

laxdad30 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:25 pm Didn't Alfred State shut down their Lax program last year?
Program was shut down for about three years. Club this year and then they will be back full DIII next year (24/25)
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

Looks like Morrisville headed to the NAC

https://morrisvillemustangs.com/sports/ ... edule/2024

I would expect them to be in the mix for the AQ right away.
Leonard Washington

balderdash wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:15 am Looks like Morrisville headed to the NAC

https://morrisvillemustangs.com/sports/ ... edule/2024

I would expect them to be in the mix for the AQ right away.
7 or an 8 and a half hour trip to Maine every year, yikes.

Good luck Coach Cooper. They should be playing in the conference championship year in and year out.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

https://empire8.com/news/2023/8/21/gene ... tid=Zxz2cZ

Looks like it’s offical.. Brockport and Geneseo to Join Empire8.
I’ve heard that the SUNYACs going to an east west model…
You have to believe this makes Cortland’s Road to the NCAA’s much easier and Fishers much tougher.
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

Wow. Does that make the stock of the Cortland job rise even higher? Pretty tough to get fired if you win your conference & make NCAA's every year
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

balderdash wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:07 pm Wow. Does that make the stock of the Cortland job rise even higher? Pretty tough to get fired if you win your conference & make NCAA's every year
Cortland also scored Cabrini flip, 6’3” 225 lb lefty attackman, Stefan Swedlund (younger & bigger brother of Stockton AA attackman Luc Swedlund).

Could be a nice central piece for years to come.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
balderdash

Post by balderdash »

Reviving this thread as the alignments were posted:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... gnment.pdf

Guess the USA South absorption didn't pan out.

tough to see the tigers and pirates floating out as independents.

Feel like both schools will have a hard time finding a path to NCAA's now. Wonder if either school is considering a divisional reclassification? Both programs are on quite the island, especially moving forward without Whittier.

Also shocked to see the c2c took WWC. No disrespect, but not sure how the other C2C programs/coaches would/could even approach that game on the schedule
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

River Donkey wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:38 pm **Warren Wilson is C2C
Not this season

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”