LA 2028 Way-Too-Early Olympic Team Predictions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Madlax59

Re: LA 2028 Way-Too-Early Olympic Team Predictions

Post by Madlax59 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:50 am
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:04 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:24 am
Kleizaster wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:20 am Brooklyn Walker Welch is indeed canadian. Canada has alot of talent in the pipeline and will be a dangerous team in 5 years.

As for players like McCool, Ohmiller, Auppozo, etc. I think it's very possible for them to still be elite players by then. This is the olympics, it's a huge deal for these players as many have advocated heavily for adding the sport to the olympics. I think given the chance they'd jump at the opportunity, especially if some of the younger players aren't good enough to surpass them.

Even if they play a lesser role, having them on the team is important
The main reason behind sixes in the Olympics is that it reduces roster size to 12 players. 2 of them will be goalies. Not sure how much room there will be for 30+ year old players.
The only sure thing is North
Don’t forget other players who may put their hat in the ring….it’s not exclusive to Worlds or Sixes players ….
Disagree about North being a sure thing. Doesn't really fit the type of player for sixes. If I had to pick one "sure thing" for the US team, it would be likely be Samantha White. Young, plays fast, can play multiple positions
Doesn’t matter if she “fits” or not. She’s in
DMac

Post by DMac »

timber18888 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:03 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:05 am This is about as nuts as it gets, picking a 2028 sixes team in 2023.
North can play anywhere but I don't see her as having the speed,
and maybe not the endurance, to excel at this game. Apuzzo and
McCool? Thirty year old women still have the time, focus, and
commitment? As good as they are, I don't see that. This is a whole
different game, there are liable to be players who are on nobody's
radar who excel at this game. There's virtually no D, there is no draw,
and as in box I don't think handedness (being able to go both ways) is
as big a deal in this version. Some of the qualities that make one good
in field very well might not much matter in sixes. They got rid of
three quarters of the game in order to squeeze it in the Olympics, it's
very different.
Maddy Baxter is good at this game. Tall, fast, endurance, and she's developed
a much wider variety of shots and is much more aggressive in going to the cage
in this game. You could see that in last year's SU season, playing on Canada's
Gold Medal winning team made her a better field player offensively. She won't
be thirty years old in 2028 either.
Edit: Now that I think about it she'd probably play for Canada anyway, so scratch
her from the far-fetched predictions of Team USA.
Hey, who's stopping us from having a bit of fun?
It's all good but that's not to say it's not about as nuts as it gets.
Nostradamusish.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

njbill wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:40 pm First of all, kudos to timber for starting this thread. Totally wild, crazy speculation about things way in the future is what we posters do best. :lol: And, yes, it’s fun. So why not?

But, and I say this with all due respect to youse guys who have weighed in on who will or won’t be on the team, nobody has the foggiest idea at this point.

In terms of the current stars who will be “old” in 2028, I would note that Grandma Dobie continues to play for Canada. Lots of women well into their 30s still play international basketball and soccer.

Also, I think the chance to win a gold medal will attract a lot of players to try out. Wouldn’t surprise me if some who normally would retire after the 2026 World Cup hang on for the Olympics.

Carry on.
NO DOUBT will players be hanging on to their career for a shot at the Olympics. Will be a first in many generations so you best believe if players like a McCool can keep playing they will. And while speculating on players 3-5 years from now is tough, we know the formula of the type of player needed for Sixes...so, start your lists with that.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Another big factor is the coach since they have a vision of the type of team they want - do they shy away from true defenders and stick with middies and a few great attackers for example. The coach also tends to favor many players they know amd have coached.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:00 pm Another big factor is the coach since they have a vision of the type of team they want - do they shy away from true defenders and stick with middies and a few great attackers for example. The coach also tends to favor many players they know amd have coached.
You will still see true attackers and true defenders. they will use the sub box liberally like indoor does to get certain players on and off the floor and for situational stuff. As for coaching, even Levy doesn't have the experience to hang her hat on here...

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”