~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Formerhound

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:01 am
Formerhound wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:06 pm Poitras was a beast all day. Haberman played great. Figuring out second middie group with Higgins coming back in spring and Minicus coming back to attack. Think Core had a goal and McGorry had two or three. Heuston is a beast and Binney being a lefty can shoot. Very impressive day for the hounds.
I know you’ve expressed qualms about Binney in the past, but do you think the decision making and playmaking ability are better this year?
In the three scrimmages I’ve watched this year Binney has been very good. Not turning the ball over and not taking stupid shots. Toomey hates the stupid shot that a goalie easily catches and it becomes a turnover. Say McGorry get lit up by him Sunday for a bad shot that the goalie easily saved. Kid redeemed himself a few minutes later with a nice goal. Seems that the young middies are all trying to prove they belong on the second line and are forcing stuff. Lots of competition.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Been a slow month for us here but only about two more full months until lax season is upon us! There has been some news trickling out regarding the schedule. Tentative dates so far are

February 3- Georgetown
February 10- Maryland
February 17th- Hopkins
February 24th- Rutgers
February 28th (this is a guess based on history) - towson

That is a outrageous slate to open up with
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/men ... e/schedule

Schedule is posted! It’s the same teams as last year but in different order. Personally I like the changes of having Georgetown first up as opposed to a midweek game. It gives both teams a chance to get the first game jitters out of the way.

I’m not too particularly crazy of having BU right after Duke. Two very tough games. Finally I admire army being the last PL conference game before the tournament. This was how it was in my last 3 years at school (2016-2018) and the home fans on a Friday night at Ridley was so much fun.

A tough schedule with a bunch of hitters but it’s what all these kids sign up and play for when they come here. Only a couple more months till first game!
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Post by 1766 »

Glad Rutgers could keep this game on the schedule. Some other high profile programs were trying to grab this spot but the staff stood strong. I think this has become a non negotiable on Rutgers end, which I think is great. As long and Coach Brecht and Coach Toomey are in the seat, I don't see this changing. And hopefully not after that.
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

Any thoughts on rising stars on the roster?
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

DP
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

PATalk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:55 pm Any thoughts on rising stars on the roster?
I don’t think there’s “stars” that can takeover like what we had with Spencer, but I think we have a couple guys who are better than advertised.

If they run the attack line of minicus, poitras and James where they have minicus run as the guy behind the goal, then I think they can succeed.

Poitras has the ceiling of an all American, given the hype he has now as the 2nd overall pick in the NLL draft. He just needs to be fed the ball on inside cuts or punish defenders from the wings.

Matt heuston in theory should pop out and score after getting World Cup experience with team australia, same as Josh fairey on the defensive end.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:23 pm
PATalk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:55 pm Any thoughts on rising stars on the roster?
I don’t think there’s “stars” that can takeover like what we had with Spencer, but I think we have a couple guys who are better than advertised.

If they run the attack line of minicus, poitras and James where they have minicus run as the guy behind the goal, then I think they can succeed.

Poitras has the ceiling of an all American, given the hype he has now as the 2nd overall pick in the NLL draft. He just needs to be fed the ball on inside cuts or punish defenders from the wings.

Matt heuston in theory should pop out and score after getting World Cup experience with team australia, same as Josh fairey on the defensive end.
Key this year is midfield. Kamish, Higgins and whichever middie is added as the third starter (Haberman in fall ball) need to produce. Last year was a down year for the first two. Haberman started out great and regressed. West, Murphy, Heuston, McGorry, Cote and Binney all vying for playing time and are ready to step in should starters not produce. Kamish is key on man up. Shoots from distance. Opens up middle.
Defensively they need to pick up the pieces after Wyers/Hughes and Rezanka’s graduation. Look to Houlihan and Ramon to add to defense.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:23 pm ... James where they have minicus run as the guy behind the goal, then I think they can succeed...
What are the odds that James will play mid?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

Any word on how Kenan Everhart is doing? I know he is listed ans an attackman, but played a TON of midfield in HS.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

nclaxin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:05 am Any word on how Kenan Everhart is doing? I know he is listed ans an attackman, but played a TON of midfield in HS.
From what I’m guessing based on scrimmage results and photos, I believe he’s getting PT as both midfield and attack, but I’m not too sure where he would fit.

The kid is certainly talented, he can play from X as a QB from his highlight tape. He also has a knack for finding bubbles of space to flow through for off ball cuts
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:27 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:23 pm ... James where they have minicus run as the guy behind the goal, then I think they can succeed...
What are the odds that James will play mid?
None.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Formerhound wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:46 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:27 pm What are the odds that James will play mid?
None.
That's what I thought. Of course, during the season, anything could happen. But... None. Thanks, Former.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:34 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:27 pm What are the odds that James will play mid?
None.
That's what I thought. Of course, during the season, anything could happen. But... None. Thanks, Former.
Agreed, James is a player we need on the field at all times, he’s dangerous on the wing as a spot shooter and can also create for his own.

The attack line should be set, it’s the midfield lines (as formerhound has said on repeat) that needs to be figured out for what seems like the 3rd year in a row with what seems like 9 guys for 6 spots. They have talented freshmen and sophomores but they need game experience
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:11 pm
None.
Agreed, James is a player we need on the field at all times, he’s dangerous on the wing as a spot shooter and can also create for his own.

The attack line should be set, it’s the midfield lines (as formerhound has said on repeat) that needs to be figured out for what seems like the 3rd year in a row with what seems like 9 guys for 6 spots. They have talented freshmen and sophomores but they need game experience
That’s what the COVID fifth year did to these teams. Loyola will have at least 7 fifth year guys starting this year. This is the last of the COVID years though. Only red shirts will get a fifth year in the future. I know Dixon and McGorry both missed entire years. Davis Lindsay missed his freshman year also. Think the Army transfer Erickson also has an extra year. Heuston may also. Not sure if Hugh Brown is still on team but he missed all of last year. Heard somewhere that Staudt, a 2020, may also have an extra year.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:34 pm
houndace1 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:11 pm
None.

That’s what the COVID fifth year did to these teams. Loyola will have at least 7 fifth year guys starting this year. This is the last of the COVID years though. Only red shirts will get a fifth year in the future. I know Dixon and McGorry both missed entire years. Davis Lindsay missed his freshman year also. Think the Army transfer Erickson also has an extra year. Heuston may also. Not sure if Hugh Brown is still on team but he missed all of last year. Heard somewhere that Staudt, a 2020, may also have an extra year.
Staudt has 1 more year after this season as he missed 2021. Brown transferred out after last season and I’m not sure if his back injury ever healed for lacrosse activities.
I believe one of the two promising freshman poles last year were injured and got red shirted.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola doesn't just want 5th year guys.
They want the right 5th year guys.
And the right transfers.
There are only so many lockers.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

USA LACROSSE has Loyola as somewhere between 21-23 in pre season rankings. I really think that the Hounds are being underestimated. They bring back the entire attack group (Poitras, Minicus and James) as well as their starting middies (Higgins, Kamish and Lindsay), their FOGO (Pacheco) and Goalie (Staudt) as well as Salley, Roman, Houlihan Leblanc, Bean and Fairey on defense. Tons of talent backing things up also in Haberman, West, McCullough, McGory, Cote, Murphy, Heuston and Binney.
I see a bright season this year and a Patriot League Championship.
Olddog

Post by Olddog »

Formerhound wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:35 pm USA LACROSSE has Loyola as somewhere between 21-23 in pre season rankings. I really think that the Hounds are being underestimated. They bring back the entire attack group (Poitras, Minicus and James) as well as their starting middies (Higgins, Kamish and Lindsay), their FOGO (Pacheco) and Goalie (Staudt) as well as Salley, Roman, Houlihan Leblanc, Bean and Fairey on defense. Tons of talent backing things up also in Haberman, West, McCullough, McGory, Cote, Murphy, Heuston and Binney.
There are also a few gems in the freshman class who will make an impact this year.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Formerhound wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:35 pm USA LACROSSE has Loyola as somewhere between 21-23 in pre season rankings. I really think that the Hounds are being underestimated. They bring back the entire attack group (Poitras, Minicus and James) as well as their starting middies (Higgins, Kamish and Lindsay), their FOGO (Pacheco) and Goalie (Staudt) as well as Salley, Roman, Houlihan Leblanc, Bean and Fairey on defense. Tons of talent backing things up also in Haberman, West, McCullough, McGory, Cote, Murphy, Heuston and Binney.
I give the Greyhounds credit for the schedule... The first five games are big. We will need to have some of the unknowns step up and be players.
Pacheco needs to have a better year. The defense will be challenged.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”