Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldjayfan

Re: Navy 2019

Post by oldjayfan »

Seahawk--or, look at Navy's defense this year, except for Kern, young and green.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seahawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:02 pm It’s simple - Georgetown and UMD offenses got better when the players got better and could execute more complex schemes. You are as good as your players let you achieve. See UMD defense this year, for example. No Ikeda, Neufeldt or Mike E., for sure.
Quite true. And I vividly remember Tillman in an interview telling everyone (it may have been post Championship game) that Matt Rambo (earlier in the season) really taught him a lesson about letting go and not holding on too tight. I think Rambo said something like "we got this coach, just relax" He essentially gave the offense over to Rambo, Heacock, Kelly, Rotantz, and Bernhardt...and they won that year.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

A rather formidable quintet, I would proffer...
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Oldjayfan, not sure what the axe to grind is with the young Gren navy defense. There are a lot of things to improve on and they will. Interesting that until recently you never posted on this thread. Wonder why that is.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HealthyDebate wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:31 pm Oldjayfan, not sure what the axe to grind is with the young Gren navy defense. There are a lot of things to improve on and they will. Interesting that until recently you never posted on this thread. Wonder why that is.
Because he’s a dick?

He just joined on May 3rd. My guess is the poster is a sock puppet of some other poster.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wombat, even if he is a jerk (a better word), let's focus on the subject being discussed and not the people discussing it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:32 pm
Seahawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:02 pm It’s simple - Georgetown and UMD offenses got better when the players got better and could execute more complex schemes. You are as good as your players let you achieve. See UMD defense this year, for example. No Ikeda, Neufeldt or Mike E., for sure.
Quite true. And I vividly remember Tillman in an interview telling everyone (it may have been post Championship game) that Matt Rambo (earlier in the season) really taught him a lesson about letting go and not holding on too tight. I think Rambo said something like "we got this coach, just relax" He essentially gave the offense over to Rambo, Heacock, Kelly, Rotantz, and Bernhardt...and they won that year.
Look at those names. They don’t grow on trees.....but I know what you mean.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

I realize that it is selective institution but Naval Academy enrollment is smaller than I would have thought. Seeing the plaques on walls with names of those killed in action is sombering. As such see well beyond them being lax players when Navy or Army take the field vs Cuse . Same thoughts and thanks extend to the rank and file of all our armed services
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:05 am
HealthyDebate wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:31 pm Oldjayfan, not sure what the axe to grind is with the young Gren navy defense. There are a lot of things to improve on and they will. Interesting that until recently you never posted on this thread. Wonder why that is.
Because he’s a jerk?

He just joined on May 3rd. My guess is the poster is a sock puppet of some other poster.

You stay classy Wombat; sorry my life hasn't revolved around sitting in a basement and posting on lacrosse message boards for years!
Healthydebate-- I have no axe to grind with the young D, it's simply that Coach Wellner is praised on this site as some type of defensive guru, yet
RS is given no slack for having a young offense. If you have read this board over the years, the personal attacks on RS were beyond ridiculous. RS
is an excellent coach, Navy is a tough place to recruit strong offensive talent(that is why many, many recruits have been poached). Wellner was
hired by RS many years ago and he is a good coach. But when the defense had troubles this year, didn't read any complaints about Wellner not "making adjustments" or "body language". Stick around and you will read some real mature comments from the various geniuses that think they own a free speech board... Oh, and don't dissent, lest you be a "jerk" or "sock puppet"...
LandM

Post by LandM »

Never set anyone up for failure. That happened here no matter who was going to take the job. I hope ALL can agree that it was poorly handled BUT RS is a big boy and got paid - capitalism is a great thing so no begrudging his salary;

Air Force, football, I understand the Academy and what it takes to compete as a D1 athlete in that environment.

Son played at SBU, red-shirted a year, went to every game. Funny what many of you think happened. You were not there and did not live the experience.....apologizes to anyone who may have been with me. Tiffany and RS - way separate styles.....different coaches and different personality. Never spoke to RS not my place as a parent to do so. I could casually bump into him and never know who he was nor him me. If that philosophy moved to USNA, it will not work.....the institutions (SA) not wired that way.

Wellner is a good person and I hope he gets his chance - well deserved and I hope Rob can help him succeed.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

oldjayfan wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:51 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:05 am
Because he’s a jerk?

You stay classy Wombat; sorry my life hasn't revolved around sitting in a basement and posting on lacrosse message boards for years!
Healthydebate-- I have no axe to grind with the young D, it's simply that Coach Wellner is praised on this site as some type of defensive guru, yet
RS is given no slack for having a young offense. If you have read this board over the years, the personal attacks on RS were beyond ridiculous. RS
is an excellent coach, Navy is a tough place to recruit strong offensive talent(that is why many, many recruits have been poached). Wellner was
hired by RS many years ago and he is a good coach. But when the defense had troubles this year, didn't read any complaints about Wellner not "making adjustments" or "body language". Stick around and you will read some real mature comments from the various geniuses that think they own a free speech board... Oh, and don't dissent, lest you be a "jerk" or "sock puppet"...
You just seem to have a laser-like focus on poking at people and are defending to the point of dying on the last hill.

It’s not worth it, man. Give it up!

The future is here. Hopefully it will turn the corner.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Ah for short-memories! Nothing to "give up"...here's hoping Navy can get back to the quarters in the next decade! Just find it hypocritical that RS was criticized to the enth degree, yet people are clamoring for his longtime assistant to get the gig...I suppose that's how it rolls. Carry on!

Sorry, Wombat, never got the memo that I answer to you. In fact, I won't ;)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

oldjayfan wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:30 pm Ah for short-memories! Nothing to "give up"...here's hoping Navy can get back to the quarters in the next decade! Just find it hypocritical that RS was criticized to the enth degree, yet people are clamoring for his longtime assistant to get the gig...I suppose that's how it rolls. Carry on!

Sorry, Wombat, never got the memo that I answer to you. In fact, I won't ;)
I wouldn’t want you to answer to me.

But, you just did.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

And the maturity continues...bring back Coach Meade and his 18-51 record at Furman..wonder if Laxxy will post his overall record and stats on the Furman thread, EXACTLY
naptownshark

Post by naptownshark »

I have been a longtime reader of this thread and mostly read to see whats going on with the program and how the fans have been reacting.
I also noticed that oldjay is quite a supporter of RS and dislikes RW quite a bit. Here's some NCAA Stats
2012-
O - 39th @ 9.08 g/gm
D - 14th @ 8.92 g/gm

O - 58th @ 7.92 g/gm
D - 32nd @ 10.32 g/gm

O - 51st @ 8.93 g/gm
D - 20th @ 9.36 g/gm

O - 38th @ 9.79 g/gm
D - 13 @ 8.57 g/gm

O - 33rd @ 9.88 g/gm
D - 2nd @ 7.38 g/gm

O - 47th @ 9.43 g/gm
D - 22nd @ 9.57 g/gm

O - 48th @ 9.0 g/gm
D - 15th @8.93 g/gm

O - 48th @ 10.62 g/gm
D - 51st @ 12.08 g/gm

So yes, statistically the defense has been significantly better than the offensive side of the ball. ONE year the defense was worse and you are just going to bash RW for it? How about the previous years were the O was complete garbage? How about the multiple years RS went on record to tell media that it was the most talent on the offensive side of the ball he's had and still couldn't produce?

Let me be clear. I like RS and RW both a lot. Both of them are great guys and good leaders but to sit here and bash RW, oldjay, after one bad year is a little telling which side you're on. RS came into a difficult situation after Meade was fired and it was unfair but knowing some alums he also didn't help his cause too much either.

I think a lot of people's frustration came with RS not ever being willing to give up the O to capable OC's that have come and gone. The mainstay of Navy Lacrosse has always been D and RW would be a fantastic head coach. He knows these kids, knows the academy and would be a great fit. All I'm hoping for as a fan is to see Navy Lacrosse come back to play how they used to in the 2000's.

Sorry for the rant but the past two pages made me really puzzled.

BEATarmy!
Bravo 3

Post by Bravo 3 »

Naptown don’t sweat it , it’s comical ! While at Navy
Richie won 5 tournament championships to RS ‘s 0. took a team to the ncaas multiple times including championship Monday.
Won double digit postseason games to RS’s 1.

And the biggest Indictment to Rick Sowell coaching was that EVERYTIME he made the Patriot tournament , they were beaten by a team they had beaten during the regular season !!! The 2 against Army and the one against Holy Cross were bombs.
EXACTLY
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

naptownshark wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:29 am I have been a longtime reader of this thread and mostly read to see whats going on with the program and how the fans have been reacting.
I also noticed that oldjay is quite a supporter of RS and dislikes RW quite a bit. Here's some NCAA Stats
2012-
O - 39th @ 9.08 g/gm
D - 14th @ 8.92 g/gm

O - 58th @ 7.92 g/gm
D - 32nd @ 10.32 g/gm

O - 51st @ 8.93 g/gm
D - 20th @ 9.36 g/gm

O - 38th @ 9.79 g/gm
D - 13 @ 8.57 g/gm

O - 33rd @ 9.88 g/gm
D - 2nd @ 7.38 g/gm

O - 47th @ 9.43 g/gm
D - 22nd @ 9.57 g/gm

O - 48th @ 9.0 g/gm
D - 15th @8.93 g/gm

O - 48th @ 10.62 g/gm
D - 51st @ 12.08 g/gm

So yes, statistically the defense has been significantly better than the offensive side of the ball. ONE year the defense was worse and you are just going to bash RW for it? How about the previous years were the O was complete garbage? How about the multiple years RS went on record to tell media that it was the most talent on the offensive side of the ball he's had and still couldn't produce?

Let me be clear. I like RS and RW both a lot. Both of them are great guys and good leaders but to sit here and bash RW, oldjay, after one bad year is a little telling which side you're on. RS came into a difficult situation after Meade was fired and it was unfair but knowing some alums he also didn't help his cause too much either.

I think a lot of people's frustration came with RS not ever being willing to give up the O to capable OC's that have come and gone. The mainstay of Navy Lacrosse has always been D and RW would be a fantastic head coach. He knows these kids, knows the academy and would be a great fit. All I'm hoping for as a fan is to see Navy Lacrosse come back to play how they used to in the 2000's.

Sorry for the rant but the past two pages made me really puzzled.

BEATarmy!
One would be curious to know how Meade's O & D stats ranked. Navy, in the past 2 decades, I would argue has been a defensive minded team...they program naturally attracts that type of athlete. I have nothing against Ryan--in fact, I hope he is permanently elevated. Amazing how people read into things. I'm just stating that RS knew enough to bring RW along with him--RS also mentored Chemotti, Tiffany, Phipps, Travis Johnson and JL to name a few. How did I "bash" RW? RS gets crucified on this site, yet his longtime assistant walks on water? What side am I on? I would say RS an RW are on the same side!
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Bravo 3 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 am Naptown don’t sweat it , it’s comical ! While at Navy
Richie won 5 tournament championships to RS ‘s 0. took a team to the ncaas multiple times including championship Monday.

And the biggest Indictment to Rick Sowell coaching was that EVERYTIME he made the Patriot tournament , they were beaten by a team they had beaten during the regular season !!! The 2 against Army and the one against Holy Cross were bombs.
EXACTLY
RM had a great career at Navy, no question. How has the Furman gig gone? EXACTLY....it ok to criticize RS--and rightly so in some cases. But there's two sides to the coin.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hardly comparable. Exactly?? Lolol let me see USNA vs Furman ?? Please
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Bravo 3 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 am Naptown don’t sweat it , it’s comical ! While at Navy

EXACTLY
Navy MLax historical context snap-shot since NCAA established in 1971…following the impressive 1928-1970 era of USILA, whereby Navy MLax won 17 USILA Championships (12) or Co-Championships (5) under head coaches Finlayson; Moore and Bilderback.

NCAA Starting in 1971…
YEARS***HEAD COACH***GAMES W-L***W SEASONS***NCAAT APPEARANCES

’71-‘72***Bilderback*******18-8/.692******2 of 2/1.000****2 (1FF / 1QF)
’73-‘82***Szlasa************85-44/.658****10 of 10/1.000**10 (1RU / 5FF / 4QF)
’83-‘94***Matthews********84-61/.579******8 of 12/.666***7 (4QF / 4RD1)
’95-‘11***Meade***********142-97/.594****10 of 17/.588***7 (1RU / 2QF / 4RD1)…PLT Championships @ 5 of 8/.625
’12-‘19***Sowell************54-56/.490*****3 of 8/.375*****1 (QF)…PLT Championships @ 0 of 8/.000

The 1971-2011 era @ 329-210/.610 with W seasons @ 30 of 41/.731 and 26 NCAAT appearances.

IMHO, Navy MLax Mids will recover quickly from the unfortunate results and experience of the 2012-2019 era. IMHO, AD Gladchuk is correct in his view that new head coaching leadership is needed to restore Navy MLax to his long history of success prior to 2012-2019.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”