2024 Season Predictions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
BCLax24

Re: 2024 Season Predictions

Post by BCLax24 »

HailMaryPass wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:44 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:06 pm Borrowing/copying Kleizaster's great idea from last year.
The questions below are merely suggestions for making predictions. Feel free to make you own, as well.

Who will win the National Championship?

Who will win the ACC Conference Championship?

Who wins the Ivy?

Who are your Final Four?

Who will win the Tewaaraton?

Which teams will make noticeably great strides? (the way Denver did last year, for example.)

Which players will emerge and shine who were heretofore laboring in obscurity?

Or again—any predictions you might care to make—bold or otherwise.
National Champs: Northwestern repeat
ACC Champs: ND vs BC (BC wins)
Final Four: NW, BC, ND, UNC
Tewaaraton - hoping we see more variance in position this year: Kasey Choma, Belle Smith, Molly Laliberty, Izzy Scane, Brooklyn Walker Welch or Emily Nalls make the list ----- Izzy Scane with the win

Teams that will surprise:
- ND has a great year, with Arden Tierney and Olivia Dooley added I think it will give the team the Geirsbach & Aldave effect in UNC22...coach just needs to switch it up on the attack strategy
- Hopkins has a solid year with Doucette back, highlight will be a win against Maryland
- Loyola gets energy after Katie Detwiler's great performance in AU season 3 and come out to have a strong season. Jillian Wilson will be missed though
- Syracuse will find success with their freshman class in the regular season but lose in the quarterfinals

Players:
- BC Andrea Reynolds will become a scoring power
- Florida's Heller twins will shine in the Midfield
Reynolds is genuinely awful. Terrible shooting percentages and turnover numbers throughout her career. I hope she doesn’t play one second for this Eagles’ squad.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

BCLax24 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:20 am Reynolds is genuinely awful. Terrible shooting percentages and turnover numbers throughout her career. I hope she doesn’t play one second for this Eagles’ squad.
Andrea Reynolds started all 23 games for the Eagles last year. Chipped in 10 goals, 12 assists, 8 ground balls, 5 caused turnovers and 93 draw controls.

In the ACC’s she scored 2 goals and 8 DC’s (the 2 goals were vs Carolina for the program's 1st ever ACC conference championship.)

In the NCAA’s she scored 1 goal 2 assists, 1 GB, 2 CT’s and 10 DC’s

Total postseason output: 3 goals, 2 assists, 1 GB, 2 CT’s and 18 DC’s.

Not bad numbers for crunch time. Not bad numbers over the course of a season. Considering the whole of her contribution last year--I have a hard time agreeing with your assessment that Reynolds is "genuinely awful".
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:12 am
BCLax24 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:20 am Reynolds is genuinely awful. Terrible shooting percentages and turnover numbers throughout her career. I hope she doesn’t play one second for this Eagles’ squad.
Andrea Reynolds started all 23 games for the Eagles last year. Chipped in 10 goals, 12 assists, 8 ground balls, 5 caused turnovers and 93 draw controls.

In the ACC’s she scored 2 goals and 8 DC’s (the 2 goals were vs Carolina for the program's 1st ever ACC conference championship.)

Not bad numbers for crunch time. Not bad numbers over the course of a season. Considering the whole of her contribution last year--I have a hard time agreeing with your assessment that Reynolds is "genuinely awful".
BCLax24

Post by BCLax24 »

She shot 31 percent last season and had a whopping 29 turnovers. That turnover number is crazy considering her lack of offensive production and the fact that she doesn’t possess the ball a ton. The shooting percentage is extremely poor too and it’s not a one season thing as she had an even worse percentage (25%) in 2022.

She’s fine on the draw, but she’s an absolute liability on the offensive end. There are at least half a dozen players that I think would be better for the offense as midfielders, including but not limited to, Belle Smith, Cassidy Weeks, Annabelle Hasselbeck, Shea Baker, Abbey Herod, Lydia Colasante, Lacey Downey, Kylee Colbert, etc, etc.
OuttaNowhereWregget

BCLax24 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:44 am

She shot 31 percent last season and had a whopping 29 turnovers. That turnover number is crazy considering her lack of offensive production and the fact that she doesn’t possess the ball a ton. The shooting percentage is extremely poor too and it’s not a one season thing as she had an even worse percentage (25%) in 2022.

She’s fine on the draw, but she’s an absolute liability on the offensive end. There are at least half a dozen players that I think would be better for the offense as midfielders, including but not limited to, Belle Smith, Cassidy Weeks, Annabelle Hasselbeck, Shea Baker, Abbey Herod, Lydia Colasante, Lacey Downey, Kylee Colbert, etc, etc.
I think she's way more than just her turnovers and shooting accuracy tells. In the win over North Carolina for instance--she had 2 goals and 4 DC's with 1 turnover. In the semifinal win over Syracuse, she had a goal, an assist and 2 DC's against 2 turnovers. Also--I shortchanged her postseason ACC stats. She had 3 goals and 11 DC's--added to her total postseason numbers--4 goals, 2 assists, 1 GB, 2 CT's and 21 DC's. Again--not too shabby. Her turnovers and shooting inaccuracy certainly didn't hurt the team on their way to their 6th straight appearance in the national championship game. I don't know what kind of playing time she'll get in 2024. We'll see soon enough.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:06 pm Borrowing/copying Kleizaster's great idea from last year.
The questions below are merely suggestions for making predictions. Feel free to make you own, as well.

Who wins the Ivy?

Who are your Final Four?

Which teams will make noticeably great strides? (the way Denver did last year, for example.)

NCAA - NORTHWESTERN
ACC - UNC
IVY - Who Cares!
FINAL FOUR - Northwestern, UNC, Denver, Stony Brook
TEW - Scane
GREAT STRIDES - Hopkins, Virginia
EMERGING PLAYERS - Demma Hall (finally gets on the field...)
PREDICTIONS - Maryland struggles again (Can CNR step up and coach?), Cuse melts down early (players want to win for themselves, not HC, not good vibes coming from CNY), Clemson continues to show us signs us greatness (but also inconsistency from so many transfer trying to mesh), ND does not live up to loftier expectations (something in the water in South Bend), Army or Navy wins Patriot League (Loyola has "down" year), Florida impresses vs the predictions (pretty low expectations over here), Stonybrook earns first Final Four trip, Hopkins plays in Big10 title game, Duke earns berth in NCAA tourney
Last edited by intheknow247 on Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OuttaNowhereWregget

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:56 pm PREDICTIONS - Cuse melts down early (players want to win for themselves, not HC, not good vibes coming from CNY)
This is the 2nd allusion to a supposed situation there. Is there? Or is this just humor?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:56 pm

Who wins the Ivy?

Who are your Final Four?

NCAA - NORTHWESTERN
ACC - UNC
IVY - Who Cares!
FINAL FOUR - Northwestern, UNC, Denver, Stony Brook
TEW - Scane
GREAT STRIDES - Hopkins, Virginia
EMERGING PLAYERS - Demma Hall (finally gets on the field...)
PREDICTIONS - Maryland struggles again (Can CNR step up and coach?), Cuse melts down early (players want to win for themselves, not HC, not good vibes coming from CNY), Clemson continues to show us signs us greatness (but also inconsistency from so many transfer trying to mesh), ND does not live up to loftier expectations (something in the water in South Bend), Army or Navy wins Patriot League (Loyola has "down" year), Florida impresses vs the predictions (pretty low expectations over here), Stonybrook earns first Final Four trip, Hopkins plays in Big10 title game, Duke earns berth in NCAA tourney,
Yes! Finally someone agrees, Loyola gets knocked out. But we are only half there Florida has a down year as well. 😁
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:08 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:56 pm PREDICTIONS - Cuse melts down early (players want to win for themselves, not HC, not good vibes coming from CNY)
This is the 2nd allusion to a supposed situation there. Is there? Or is this just humor?
Not being funny at all.
OuttaNowhereWregget

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:17 pm
Not being funny at all.
So the players aren't digging Treanor's coaching style--would that be an accurate way to put it?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Talk about the phrase trying to pull teeth. Just say it already.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:17 pm
Not being funny at all.
I can assure you that this is not the case.
OuttaNowhereWregget

A couple of predictions I just can't see:

Loyola not winning the Patriot. Loyola may fit into the category of Not Ready For Prime Time Players as to seriously challenging for a national championship--but they're more than capable and strong enough to continue winning the Patriot--both regular season and conference championship. I don't see Army or Navy or anyone else for that matter, toppling the AintNoDogs from their seemingly allotted spot atop the Patriot League.

Stony Brook making it to the final four. Can't see it. Yes, Spallina does a great job recruiting but he's never going to be able to attract the top players to play for the Seawolves. Just is what it is. He'll never have the horses to run with the thoroughbreds. And once you hit the final rounds of the Tournament, hard work and overachieving just doesn't cut it against superior talent.

I can't see Syracuse imploding due to internal dysfunction. The impression I get is players want to play for Treanor and enjoy playing for her. She's not far removed from playing herself so she knows a thing or two about what makes players tick. I still don't think she'll ever win a national championship (I have to stand by my take, right?) but it won't be because her players don't like her or find her self-serving. That's just my impression.

Maryland misses NCAA tournament. As much as I would chuckle to see this, it just ain't gonna happen. Maryland is still a strong mid 20's tier team. Though their dynasty days are over, and they can't hang with the top 10 for the most part anymore--they're still a far cry from not making the Dance.

I like all the predictions, though. Great fodder to pass the time before opening day--now just 58 days away.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Love reading the predictions about the upcoming season. Don't need to make crazy picks just for click bait, like Loyola not winning the Patriot League.
Loyola has a top 4 coaching staff that recruits great fits for their system. Did you watch any of their games against the Patriot League teams, it's varsity versus JV. I know Army has 1 real nice player, doesn't mean they have a chance to beat Loyola! Army had several close Patriot league games last year. Loyola lost 3 games last year against Florida, Cuse and Northwestern. The safest bet in all of womens' lacrosse is Loyola winning the Patriot, I am happy to give anyone 10-1 odds for the rest of the Patriot league if you want to give away money. I am a huge fan of both programs, but it's comparing apples and oranges. Just one guys opinion.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxdadpat wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:55 am Love reading the predictions about the upcoming season. Don't need to make crazy picks just for click bait, like Loyola not winning the Patriot League.
Loyola has a top 4 coaching staff that recruits great fits for their system. Did you watch any of their games against the Patriot League teams, it's varsity versus JV. I know Army has 1 real nice player, doesn't mean they have a chance to beat Loyola! Army had several close Patriot league games last year. Loyola lost 3 games last year against Florida, Cuse and Northwestern. The safest bet in all of womens' lacrosse is Loyola winning the Patriot, I am happy to give anyone 10-1 odds for the rest of the Patriot league if you want to give away money. I am a huge fan of both programs, but it's comparing apples and oranges. Just one guys opinion.
Agreed. Haven't they won like 75 straight Patriot league games?
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

laxdadpat wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:55 am Love reading the predictions about the upcoming season. Don't need to make crazy picks just for click bait, like Loyola not winning the Patriot League.
i think you're misreading the post....
I just can't see:

Loyola not winning the Patriot.
pretty sure they are saying Loyola is winning the patriot
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxdadpat wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:55 am I am happy to give anyone 10-1 odds for the rest of the Patriot league if you want to give away money.
I wouldn't take that bet if you gave me 100-1
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

hmmm wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:08 am
Agreed. Haven't they won like 75 straight Patriot league games?
Red Army won 45 straight games then ran up against some boys from Minnesota, Michigan and Boston. 😉
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Hell I’ll take it. 10$ to your 100$. Good odds. Loyola obviously is the favorite, but Loyola is not going to be as good as previous years. I also think Florida struggles. That game is a toss up this year. Think Hopkins and possibly Penn State beat them. I can see them losing 4-5 this year and I don’t think their schedule is toohard. Think they fall out of the top 15. Can Army beat them? Probably not but I think they have a shot in one game. Will it happen, probably not. But I’ll take your odds. Funny thing is my best friends daughter plays there. Now I gotta root against her. 😁 I should also get a kicker. A 10$ bonus if some other team in the weak Patriot beat them. 😁
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:24 am A couple of predictions I just can't see:

Loyola not winning the Patriot. Loyola may fit into the category of Not Ready For Prime Time Players as to seriously challenging for a national championship--but they're more than capable and strong enough to continue winning the Patriot--both regular season and conference championship. I don't see Army or Navy or anyone else for that matter, toppling the AintNoDogs from their seemingly allotted spot atop the Patriot League.
I agree. There are All-Americans players that the Hounds need to rebuild/replace for 2024, but Navy/Army have alot of building to do to get back to the level of challenging the Hounds.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”