Connecticut 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
wahoomurf

Re: Connecticut 2019

Post by wahoomurf »

pcowlax wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:51 pm
BlueWarrior wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:57 pm And here I thought that I missed the LaxPower forum...

PLEASE talk about lacrosse games/teams. PLEASE.
We sure miss you Blue and your weekly awesome CT breakdowns, nice to see you on this board.
:o Games and teams are the nexus of lacrosse on this and other threads.

Perhaps I'm missing something.
jmct

Post by jmct »

CT Transplant wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:10 pm The discussion of FP "recruiting" has been going on for years. CS was accused of recruiting forever. He never recruited a player.
Recruiting implies cash assistance to attend. Not real.

Now Brunswick AOF etc. Save the bridge for those schools.

Recruiting in no way, shape, or form implies cash payment. What a silly straw man to bring up. Sounds like an admission that other forms of illegal recruiting do take place - which of course is the truth.

Some of the CIAC bylaws directed at recruiting include:

1. Recruiting is the use of undue influence and/or special inducement by anyone associated with
a school in an attempt to encourage a prospective student to attend or remain at that school
for the purpose of participating in interscholastic athletics.

2. The use of undue influence, which is the use of direct or indirect communication by anyone
associated with a school
with a prospective student-athlete in an attempt to solicit or encourage
the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete in that school, is prohibited. Additionally, no one
associated with a school may request any third party to solicit or encourage the enrollment of a
prospective student-athlete in that school
, for in that case the third party also becomes associated
with that school.

3. Undue influence includes, but is not limited to:
a. Initiating or arranging telephone, telegram or other written contact such as
questionnaires, cards or letters, with a prospective student-athlete or member of
his/her family for the purpose and intent of soliciting or encouraging the enrollment
of the student in a school.
. . .
d. Attending grade school, junior high or middle school games for the purpose of
evaluating and recruiting specific prospective student-athletes.
e. Requesting booster club members, students, parents or alumni from a school to
discuss the merits of the school’s athletic program
with a prospective student-athlete
or member of his/her family by phone, in person or through letters or other written
communication.
f. Any other contact with a prospective student-athlete or member of his/her family for
the purpose and intent of soliciting or encouraging the enrollment of the student in a
school.
g. Offer or acceptance of the bypassing of the established policies and procedures for
admittance/enrollment to a school.

ETC.

- - - - - - -

Punishment of the above (and all of the other rules on recruiting I left out) is punishable by: (a) student banned from playing for that school; (b) coach suspended or fired; (c) school and coach both placed on probation; and (d) school pays financial penalty. It's too bad the CIAC is too lazy/incompetent to enforce its rules.

If you don't think FP, St. Joes, and others have violated any of the above, then you are living in a fantasy world. I am not closely tied to the HS scene, but I know of well over a dozen instances of recruiting in the past few years - most of them directly from the recruited players and their parents. They generally are honest when talking about it, either because they don't know the recruitment was a violation of CIAC rules or because they know the CIAC will never enforce the rules.
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

“Discussing the merits of of the school’s athletic program.”

Would sure love to hear that pitch. “Leave the FCIAC and come and play lacrosse in the SCC where you can test your skills against the likes of Amity, Branford, East Lyme, Foran, Hamden, North Haven and West Haven” or “Do you like to travel? Come play where your closest away game will be a 35 minutes bus ride from campus with many games over an hour away.”
ISL Laxin'

Post by ISL Laxin' »

I saw Wilton got a much needed win (and a quality one) over Yorktown last night 11-6. Anyone with any insight?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jmct wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:24 pm
CT Transplant wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:10 pm The discussion of FP "recruiting" has been going on for years. CS was accused of recruiting forever. He never recruited a player.
Recruiting implies cash assistance to attend. Not real.

Now Brunswick AOF etc. Save the bridge for those schools.

Recruiting in no way, shape, or form implies cash payment. What a silly straw man to bring up. Sounds like an admission that other forms of illegal recruiting do take place - which of course is the truth.

Some of the CIAC bylaws directed at recruiting include:

1. Recruiting is the use of undue influence and/or special inducement by anyone associated with
a school in an attempt to encourage a prospective student to attend or remain at that school
for the purpose of participating in interscholastic athletics.

2. The use of undue influence, which is the use of direct or indirect communication by anyone
associated with a school
with a prospective student-athlete in an attempt to solicit or encourage
the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete in that school, is prohibited. Additionally, no one
associated with a school may request any third party to solicit or encourage the enrollment of a
prospective student-athlete in that school
, for in that case the third party also becomes associated
with that school.

3. Undue influence includes, but is not limited to:
a. Initiating or arranging telephone, telegram or other written contact such as
questionnaires, cards or letters, with a prospective student-athlete or member of
his/her family for the purpose and intent of soliciting or encouraging the enrollment
of the student in a school.
. . .
d. Attending grade school, junior high or middle school games for the purpose of
evaluating and recruiting specific prospective student-athletes.
e. Requesting booster club members, students, parents or alumni from a school to
discuss the merits of the school’s athletic program
with a prospective student-athlete
or member of his/her family by phone, in person or through letters or other written
communication.
f. Any other contact with a prospective student-athlete or member of his/her family for
the purpose and intent of soliciting or encouraging the enrollment of the student in a
school.
g. Offer or acceptance of the bypassing of the established policies and procedures for
admittance/enrollment to a school.

ETC.

- - - - - - -

Punishment of the above (and all of the other rules on recruiting I left out) is punishable by: (a) student banned from playing for that school; (b) coach suspended or fired; (c) school and coach both placed on probation; and (d) school pays financial penalty. It's too bad the CIAC is too lazy/incompetent to enforce its rules.

If you don't think FP, St. Joes, and others have violated any of the above, then you are living in a fantasy world. I am not closely tied to the HS scene, but I know of well over a dozen instances of recruiting in the past few years - most of them directly from the recruited players and their parents. They generally are honest when talking about it, either because they don't know the recruitment was a violation of CIAC rules or because they know the CIAC will never enforce the rules.
Yeah, those same parents told me their kids got a full ride to an Ivy.....take with a block of salt
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Well, I won't further the conversation that Prep recruits because it's absurd. The administration at Fairfield Prep is more concerned with guiding young men than the school's athletic prowess. I've served on Prep's Board of Governors for 10 years and had multiple sons, and nephews attend and never once did I hear of the school bend the rules for a student based on athletics.

Now on the other hand... the defensive and faceoff play on their lacrosse team may need some serious guiding if they want to make it past the first or second round of the L playoffs. They can be overwhelming on offense, but every good team they've played has been able to make adjustments and own the Jesuits in the third quarter. They've got two more out of state contests to prove themselves in Salesianum and BC High. Hopefully, they make CT Lax proud.
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

Prep doesn't recruit based on athletics. They don't need to when kids/parents choose to attend the school simply because of athletics. So, you're right - but it doesn't change the fact that the whole "Men for Others" thing kind of gets washed away in the midst of a highly competitive atmosphere where not everybody is as supportive of each other as the brochure says they are. The school is a great place to learn and excel as a student and as an athlete, but it's not a stretch to say that not everybody chooses to be there for the same reasons.
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

100% agree, Blue Warrior.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Lotta crickets around here recently - lets try to focus a bit more here guys, we're getting to the good part of the year!!

A few interesting games over the next few days:

Darien @ Brunswick (wed)
In what was supposed to be a "rebuilding year" for Darien, the wave has beaten everyone within the state of CT fairly handily thus far. Wednesday vs 'wick will be a much tougher challenge, but expect a hard fought game from both sides. Two hot goalies (Demops getting press that sounds vaguely similar to that of a former 'wick goalie now at UVa), good defense on both sides. The wave offense maybe doesnt have the name recognition / star power of the blue blooded 'wick guys, but in typical Darien fashion, new guys keep stepping into Coach B's system to put up points. Question will be, is the offensive firepower of Rhonda, Fairback and company too much for the wave to overcome?

Staples @ New Fairfield (Tues)
Coach K has put together an impressive record this rookie season for the wreckers, and battled close in three tough losses, falling by 2 to G'bury and 1 to Ridgefield and Wilton (OT). Beating NF at Rebel field is never easy (i'm sure its just a coincidence the calls always happen to go against FCIAC teams). I'm sure Marty and crew have had this game circled on the calendar all season, so its gonna be a true test of the wreckers mettle to be able to hang. NF dispatched Glasto a few days ago, and expect the same tonight.

Prep @ Hand (Wed)
Much of the SCC seems to wave the white flag halfway through the national anthem in their games against Prep in recent years, but not Hand with their big win this time last year @ Prep. Prep continues to improve this season, playing national powers tough, and getting big numbers from Grandolfo and Reale at attack and strong goalie play from O'Connor. Hand counters with Fitzmaurice having another stellar year in net (and a physical D in front of him), but with their big gun Swank out to injury (along with a number of other starters it seems), Hand's offense has slowed considerably in recent weeks. Never count out the physical tigers in late season battles, but chances of another upset akin to last year seems less likely.

Greenwich @ Chaminade (tues)
CIAC site shows game as cancelled, so not sure what the deal is here
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

Chaminade vs Greenwich game cancelled. From what I hear, it had to do with Chaminade’s playoff schedule. With the late start of the CT, it’s not unusual for a late season out of state matchup to run into a conflict.
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

Brunswick vs Darien is going to be a good one. Crazy to think 2 of the top programs in the nation yearly are only 15 minutes apart (no traffic), yet are only playing this year for the first time in a long time! Although I think Wick pumps Darien tomorrow, I am very excited for this one!
Laxalittle

Post by Laxalittle »

As per Ducklax, the refs must have stuck it to another FCIAC team in New Fairfield. How could a lowly SWC team compete with, or even beat, one of the vaunted lacrosse juggernauts of the mighty FCIAC. New Fairfield 10, Staples 1. Had to be the refs.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Laxalittle wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 pm As per Ducklax, the refs must have stuck it to another FCIAC team in New Fairfield. How could a lowly SWC team compete with, or even beat, one of the vaunted lacrosse juggernauts of the mighty FCIAC. New Fairfield 10, Staples 1. Had to be the refs.
A bit sensitive, are we? I've been singing NF's praises for a long time, and they obviously put it to Staples tonight. I didnt see the game, but from the summary it seemed to be a good old fashioned beat down by a clearly better team. But that doesn't mean Rebel Field still isnt a tough place to play, for many reasons, especially for those from "downstate".

Would love to see NF in the mix with Darien/NC/Prep/Ridgefield to determine who is truly #1 in CT this year. I think NF might surprise a lot of people who dont think much beyond the FCIAC. But unfortunately its not gonna happen this year, and going forward things are going to be MUCH more even in the SWC (I'll go out on a limb now and predict Weston winning the SWC in 2020), and NF wont be nearly the same as they have been the last few years.
Laxalittle

Post by Laxalittle »

Sensitive, no. Been around too long to hear people diminish other non FCIAC programs and players. When you go down a road of referee home cooking, I take personal offense. Reality is, this season for NF is a good one. Small town, talent levels are not consistent. Always respectable, some years better than others. It is what it is. The coaching is the one constant. Because of inconsistency, they will never get the big boys from the FCIAC on the schedule. The last high end team to schedule a home and home was Ridgefield. That was in 2007 and 08. New Fairfield won both. In 2010 New Fairfielid was given an away shot by Greenwich, NF won. That same year Prep had NF at home and got beat. In recent memory Norwalk gave them a home and home and Wilton came up to NF and lumped up the Rebels. My point being, maybe, just maybe, teams outside of the FCIAC can compete. Don't send out a compliment and follow it with a condescending remark.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Laxalittle wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:24 am Don't send out a compliment and follow it with a condescending remark.
The compliment was to Marty and the team, which is comprised of arguably the best single class of players to go through ANY CT program (and on a school-size adjusted basis its not even close) for as long as i've been around. I think they match favorably with even some of the great Darien classes who while very good, were getting support from other classes, not all coming from one class like at NF). Marty's kids have competed and beaten the best of the best, including D/NC/Gwich all the way back to U11 CONNY. I dont think I, or really anyone, is doubting the ability of the team or current state of Marty's program. I would guess Chip and Roy are pretty glad they dont have to play Marty this year, as it would be all downside, no upside for them (and my $ on NF in both those matchups)

But unless (or maybe especially if?) the ref comment hits too close to home (are you RB or LS?), get off your high horse about reffing. Home field ref advantage is nothing unique to NF. Do you think non-fairfield county teams really dont have a disadvantage in calls when they go play in NC/Darien/Gwich? And Prep on the road at Xavier/Guilford/Hand aint getting any favors from what ever that ref association is up there (many of whom are sore about losing kids to the jesuits), but Prep still seems to win pretty consistently. The Lakers never got ANY calls at the Boston Garden in the 80's. And please god don't make me wave in the hand parents to complain about state finals WCLOA stick checks, or we'll never get back to talking about the actual games.

I'm moving on. Gotta get some work done, can't wait to see what goes down on King Street this evening.
Laxalittle

Post by Laxalittle »

DuckLax wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:55 pm
Laxalittle wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:24 am Don't send out a compliment and follow it with a condescending remark.
The compliment was to Marty and the team, which is comprised of arguably the best single class of players to go through ANY CT program (and on a school-size adjusted basis its not even close) for as long as i've been around. I think they match favorably with even some of the great Darien classes who while very good, were getting support from other classes, not all coming from one class like at NF). Marty's kids have competed and beaten the best of the best, including D/NC/Gwich all the way back to U11 CONNY. I dont think I, or really anyone, is doubting the ability of the team or current state of Marty's program. I would guess Chip and Roy are pretty glad they dont have to play Marty this year, as it would be all downside, no upside for them (and my $ on NF in both those matchups)

But unless (or maybe especially if?) the ref comment hits too close to home (are you RB or LS?), get off your high horse about reffing. Home field ref advantage is nothing unique to NF. Do you think non-fairfield county teams really dont have a disadvantage in calls when they go play in NC/Darien/Gwich? And Prep on the road at Xavier/Guilford/Hand aint getting any favors from what ever that ref association is up there (many of whom are sore about losing kids to the jesuits), but Prep still seems to win pretty consistently. The Lakers never got ANY calls at the Boston Garden in the 80's. And please god don't make me wave in the hand parents to complain about state finals WCLOA stick checks, or we'll never get back to talking about the actual games.

I'm moving on. Gotta get some work done, can't wait to see what goes down on King Street this evening.
Not on a high horse my friend just calling you out on a baseless comment. I would argue that if you asked Jeff, Roy or Chip who they would want to officiate a game,those would be two of the guys. Ralph and Lou are two of the best refs in the state. Home field is home field, that is the advantage. Time to move on
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

And while we are on the subject of the SWC (wink wink), somebody tell me...what happened to Joel Barlow?

They are 6-10 and lost their regular season ending game to Masuk. Gotta be the first time that ever happened.

That must mean that they will not make the CIAC playoffs...correct?

Wow. How the mighty have fallen.
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

Brunswick over Darien tonight. Darien made a valiant effort in the 4th to go on a few goal run to bring it back to 11-9 but wasn't enough to hang with Wick. Brunswick dominated FO and controlled the tempo of the game. Kudos to Darien. Looked like a strong team but like I said, wasn't enough to beat Wick.
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

My favorite part of the GametimeCT article was the quote from the Brunswick goalie...“It was really fun to play them. I know, like, all of the kids on this team, so it was a good matchup,” said Brunswick goalie Christian Barnard, who is from Darien himself.".

While I am certain that people have and will continue to migrate from wherever they live currently to the Darien enclave simply to worship at the feet of Brameier and Lindley, it still is important to recognize that a kid from a highly touted private school program played a major role in beating the highly touted public school team originating from the town that he lives in. And beyond abdicating Blue Wavers, I'm sure that Bruin squad has plenty of would've-been Greenwich Cardinals, Rye Garnets, Mamroneck Tigers, New Canaan Rams, etc, etc...and, I understand, one or two long range commuters from Madison.

So, in my never-ending quest to make sure people remember that the playing fields are rarely if ever ever equal in the athletic battles between publics and privates...this game was a very good example of that dichotomy. And from the sound of it, a better DHS face off option would have made this game much closer. If only.

And here's an interesting thought - with the "open date" that presented itself to Darien, and certainly acknowledging that the always confident Post Roaders have long sought for a tilt with the Kings Roaders, is there anybody out there with enough 20-20 hindsight to have preferred to see the Wave v the Rebels instead?
random observer

Post by random observer »

Really happy that the Darien/Wick game finally happened. Hopefully this is the first matchup of many. 11-9 Wick is about the outcome I expected. Darien doesn't quite have the horses this year to topple the elite teams, but nobody ever has an easy time with them even in a down year (2013 not withstanding -- that was a huge outlier for the program).

As for the game itself, I was disappointed by how sloppy it was. Neither team played their best IMO. For the second year in a row Brunswick hasn't quite managed to maintain their blistering early season form, and Darien played their least clean game of the year -- sloppier even the Manhasset game. They were going to need their best effort (like their performances against NC and St. A's) to win, and they didn't come close to replicating that. Some of the mistakes were forced by an athletic and aggressive Bruins team (their ride caused Darien serious problems -- I haven't seen Darien have that many failed clears in many years), but many were completely unforced. The first quarter in particular it seemed every other Darien possession ended with a player throwing the ball out of bounds under no pressure. That was critical because given their FO deficiencies, this is a team that needs to start fast and avoid playing from behind.

The lack of success at the X has been a real killer in the big games: it's almost hard to believe that they've been able to stay competitive against elite teams like SHP, St. A's, and now Brunswick despite essentially never having the ball for vast stretches of the second half. Getting consistent stops in goal has been key in mitigating possession imbalance, and Demopolous was on his game again last night. If there is one part of his game he might be able to improve on a little however, it's rebound control. 5 or 6 of his saves ended up being for naught because the ball careened way back out right to a Brunswick player for second or third chance opportunities until they inevitably buried a shot.

Regardless of how the game itself played out, the energy and excitement of the matchup was still electric. Looking forward to future editions of this budding rivalry, as I think both programs have stronger talent coming up the ranks (especially the sophomore classes). For anyone who didn't catch the game, a replay of it is up on YouTube.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”