Green Cards

D1 Womens Lacrosse
livelovelax

Green Cards

Post by livelovelax »

After watching multiple fall ball games and listenting to so many disgruntled parents and fans of womens lacrosse, I think the overwhelming consensus is that the GREEN Card will set the game back and make the womens game unwatchable, which is a damn shame. It is a beautiful game and the ticky tacky calls and many stoppages in play nullify any advancements made from the quick start and not having to reset the players.

Any team that rides the opponent on a clear is asking for trouble and being a man down for what amounts to touch fouls, which is a joke. The green card may also bring the officials into the game way too much and have influential outcomes that are not needed.

Instead of constantly changing or adding new rules, how about we just reinforce the existing ones?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Green Cards

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

livelovelax wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:43 am After watching multiple fall ball games and listenting to so many disgruntled parents and fans of womens lacrosse, I think the overwhelming consensus is that the GREEN Card will set the game back and make the womens game unwatchable, which is a damn shame. It is a beautiful game and the ticky tacky calls and many stoppages in play nullify any advancements made from the quick start and not having to reset the players.

Any team that rides the opponent on a clear is asking for trouble and being a man down for what amounts to touch fouls, which is a joke. The green card may also bring the officials into the game way too much and have influential outcomes that are not needed.

Instead of constantly changing or adding new rules, how about we just reinforce the existing ones?
I'm with you. My only hope is the refs will slack on the new rules the same way they did with the old ones.

(I still can't fathom that one corporate power executive is responsible for this upheaval.)
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

Is this all stemming from the badly injured Yale player whose C-suite mom took to social media demanding Joe Spallina's head on a platter?

The green card does not address the root cause of the player safety problem, which is inconsistent officiating of the rules already on the books. I feel like most of the greens will be called against defensive play, while refs continue to look the other way on blatant charges and forcing through - maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I doubt it. It only serves to further slow down the game without actually improving player safety in a meaningful way.
OuttaNowhereWregget

NutmegCrunch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:09 pm Is this all stemming from the badly injured Yale player whose C-suite mom took to social media demanding Joe Spallina's head on a platter?

The green card does not address the root cause of the player safety problem, which is inconsistent officiating of the rules already on the books. I feel like most of the greens will be called against defensive play, while refs continue to look the other way on blatant charges and forcing through - maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I doubt it. It only serves to further slow down the game without actually improving player safety in a meaningful way.
"Yale player whose C-suite mom took to social media demanding Joe Spallina's head on a platter"

What a great line--and so true.

I disagree with you on another point, however. The refs are nowhere near where the root problem is. The accusatory finger should be pointed squarely at the NCAA. They are disgraceful in their absentee landlord comportment toward refs and officials. With their entrenched good old girl network picking their favorites and turning a blind eye to the hardships the rest have to endure to even be a D1 referee. I spoke to a current official at length this past summer and heard tell of all kinds of gross mismanagement from those in charge toward those who endeavor to ref the games. The fault for these Cruella De Vil, C-suite, pound-of-flesh-demanding new "rules" is justly and accurately laid at the feet of those in charge of overseeing and managing officials within the governing body of the NCAA. Rather than choosing to get more involved in the nurture and education and upkeep of their referees and officials, they took the easier path of appeasement. Not all the players hate these new rules. The fans hate these new rules. The officials hate these new rules. But the furor has died down and so the NCAA and its privileged ivory tower few can now be left alone to go back to business as usual. I need the large air sick bag, please.

Edit: Inserted "Not all" before "the players" as I have since learned otherwise.
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

The green cards have turned the fastest game on two feet into one of the slowest. Watching paint dry may be more fun after attending several Fall Ball games. The NCAA is leveling the playing field for the less-athletic slow teams. Just foul in the midfield to literally bring the game to a screeching halt while the refs spend 30-60 seconds to send the player off the field and allow teams to make wholesale substitutions. Say hello to the game of slow boring set offenses and goodbye to fast-breaking unsettled offenses.
Last edited by RollTheCrease on Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

DO NOT THINK THIS A DONE DEAL. Hearing major conferences want to dump the new rules. Look for changes to come next week at IWCLA convention.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:24 pm
NutmegCrunch wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:09 pm Is this all stemming from the badly injured Yale player whose C-suite mom took to social media demanding Joe Spallina's head on a platter?

"Yale player whose C-suite mom took to social media demanding Joe Spallina's head on a platter"

I disagree with you on another point, however. The refs are nowhere near where the root problem is. The accusatory finger should be pointed squarely at the NCAA. They are disgraceful in their absentee landlord comportment toward refs and officials. With their entrenched good old girl network picking their favorites and turning a blind eye to the hardships the rest have to endure to even be a D1 referee. I spoke to a current official at length this past summer and heard tell of all kinds of gross mismanagement from those in charge toward those who endeavor to ref the games. The fault for these Cruella De Vil, C-suite, pound-of-flesh-demanding new "rules" is justly and accurately laid at the feet of those in charge of overseeing and managing officials within the governing body of the NCAA. Rather than choosing to get more involved in the nurture and education and upkeep of their referees and officials, they took the easier path of appeasement. Not all the players hate these new rules. The fans hate these new rules. The officials hate these new rules. But the furor has died down and so the NCAA and its privileged ivory tower few can now be left alone to go back to business as usual. I need the large air sick bag, please.

Edit: Inserted "Not all" before "the players" as I have since learned otherwise.
The furor hasn't died down. The coaches of the ACC and Big Ten are going to the NCAA to try and get the green cards removed. A group of coaches started a petition outlining why the rules take away from the game and don't achieve the desired results. It was signed by 1692 people in the short time it was opened. This isn't over yet.

https://www.change.org/p/ncaa-rules-fee ... 4540-en-US
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Dasher wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:51 pm DO NOT THINK THIS A DONE DEAL. Hearing major conferences want to dump the new rules. Look for changes to come next week at IWCLA convention.
It's done. At least for this season.

IWCLA has no authority to pass any rules and NCAA won't have another meeting where this can be discussed before the season starts.

While I agree with the spirit of this argument, players and coaches need to move on and prepare for the rule.
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

RollTheCrease wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:01 pm The green cards have turned the fastest game on two feet into one of the slowest. Say hello to the game of slow boring set offenses and goodbye to fast-breaking unsettled offenses.
Where has this already happened? Oh, yeah, the fastest game on two feet for he/him's!
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:28 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:24 pm

The furor hasn't died down. The coaches of the ACC and Big Ten are going to the NCAA to try and get the green cards removed. A group of coaches started a petition outlining why the rules take away from the game and don't achieve the desired results. It was signed by 1692 people in the short time it was opened. This isn't over yet.

https://www.change.org/p/ncaa-rules-fee ... 4540-en-US
Dynamite! Thanks, hmmm. Appreciate the update.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Would love to see the green card rule suspended on the draw until possession is awarded, at the very least.
btwn30lax

Post by btwn30lax »

GratefulRed wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:47 pm Would love to see the green card rule suspended on the draw until possession is awarded, at the very least.
This is exactly what happened the last weekend of fall ball. Spoke to two coaches who participated with the updated rules and they said it significantly cleared it up. Two top 20 program coaches believed that it made the game flow better.

Biggest issue with this whole roll out is that the committee didn’t make it experimental and when they made changes, it happened the last weekend of fall ball when only a handful of teams were playing.

From a quick follow up, this upcoming spring, the green card fouls are going to be suspended until possession is established.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

btwn30lax wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:54 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:47 pm Would love to see the green card rule suspended on the draw until possession is awarded, at the very least.
This is exactly what happened the last weekend of fall ball. Spoke to two coaches who participated with the updated rules and they said it significantly cleared it up. Two top 20 program coaches believed that it made the game flow better.

Biggest issue with this whole roll out is that the committee didn’t make it experimental and when they made changes, it happened the last weekend of fall ball when only a handful of teams were playing.

From a quick follow up, this upcoming spring, the green card fouls are going to be suspended until possession is established.
Anyone with the profile name btwn30lax must have solid intel on the topic. Thanks for some good news--I hope you're right. Seems like carving out the draw from the transition fouls would be a natural way to call it from an officiating perspective. Still gonna get messy (or boring) between the 30s, but this modification would help.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Now that college women's lacrosse can be found on tv, they pass rules to confuse anyone new(and old) to the game. So let me get this straight.

1. 6 players inside the restraining lines do the draw that usually comes down to all the players fighting for ground balls just to earn possession. Super dramatic part of game that is all about effort and grit. Oh wait, any contact foul is now a green card, What the heck?? Now the new green card rule may not start until a team gain possession because it makes no sense?

2. A team gains possession off the draw. The new green card rule is now in effect as long as the ball is between the 30 yard lines, what?? Any contact foul will bring the game to a stop, really??

3. Good news once a team gets into the offensive zone. The same fouls that generate green fouls at mid field are now just self start fouls, what?? This is getting hard to explain to an 18 year old, let alone an 8 year old!

4. The offensive team may want to burn 60+ seconds off the game clock without fear of a turnover, then take the ball to midfield. Is the defense going to risk "playing hard defense" and get a green card and shot themself in the foot?

5. So the same infractions have different penalties depending on where they are committed? I wonder why this is not done in any other sport on the planet(statement dripping in sarcasm)??

Really a well thought out plan, especially considering a trial period was never tested in fall ball to see how things worked. Who is running this sport??
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:02 pm Really a well thought out plan, especially considering a trial period was never tested in fall ball to see how things worked. Who is running this sport??
I know people are excited that lacrosse will attract more people because it will be in the Olympics, but are people going to enjoy the college game if it's like this after watching sixes in the Olympics?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”