Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ggait

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by ggait »

Given the number of firearms already out there banning future purchases, while helpful does not make a dent in the problem. Even if coupled with a kind of voluntary surrender.

Perhaps a better solution is to limit the ammunition supply for these particular weapons as, I believe it is unique to these kinds of AR-type weapons.
We have a 15 round magazine limit here in Colorado. While I support that measure, it does not do much. Even a rank amateur can swap out a magazine in 1-2 seconds. And larger mags are pretty easy to come by despite the ban.

There are a number of characteristics of the AR that together make it such an incredibly efficient killing tool. Most important is the ammo -- high velocity rounds that can pierce standard police body armor, and create huge gaping wounds that are more likely to be fatal due to bleed out. Easy to aim and operate, minimal recoil, semi auto action so you can shoot a lot of rounds in a short time. It turns any rando into Rambo.

AR 15s are dangerous and unusual weapons that, just like machine guns, can and should be banned. Like was done from 94-04. Even though that ban did not require AWBs to be turned in, it worked very well. Your chance of being killed in a mass shooting delcined by 70% over that 10 year period.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

ggait wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:46 pm
I didn't realize ARs were just a suburban shooting problem.
Come on -- even you are not this forking stupid. You're just a stubborn gaslighting bull shirter.

Las Vegas country music festival
Orlando Pulse nightclub
Virginia Tech
Sandy Hook CT
Sutherland SPrings, TX
El Paso Walmart
Uvalde TX
Lewiston Maine
Parkland FL high school
Aurora, CO -- multi plex movie theater.
Boulder, CO -- King Soopers grocery store.
Columbine, CO -- suburban HS.
Buffalo NY

None of these are inner city incidents obviously. Schools, malls, theaters, churches, grocery stores, bowling allies. All non-urban gathering places with big parking lots.

Come on you forking idiot. Gang bangers in the inner city do not shoot up random people with an AR 15.
The problem is I value all human life equally. A murder is a murder.

I am all for throwing the book at anyone who misuses guns. Any kind.

I just don't understand why drug turf war murders are quietly accepted but these AR shootings are suddenly the huge priority for regulation.

Both are terrible. But the statistics are the statistics. The handguns are by-FAR doing the most harm to the most amount of people. Illegal handguns should be getting the most attention and regulation.
Which types of firearms are most commonly used in gun murders in the U.S.?

In 2020, the most recent year for which the FBI has published data, handguns were involved in 59% of the 13,620 U.S. gun murders and non-negligent manslaughters for which data is available. Rifles – the category that includes guns sometimes referred to as “assault weapons” – were involved in 3% of firearm murders. Shotguns were involved in 1%. The remainder of gun homicides and non-negligent manslaughters (36%) involved other kinds of firearms or those classified as “type not stated.”
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... n-the-u-s/
ggait

Post by ggait »

If you value all life, then why do you argue against banning the AR15s that kill people in mass shootings.

Instead, since you don't give a shirt about those people, you deflect by saying what about all the black kids in the hood getting shot with handguns.

So, yeah, we should try to save lives in the hood. But it is insincere to say we can't address the mess from AR15s because of inner city handguns.

And by the way, the AR15 problem is just super easy to solve. Been solved in every other civilized country. But you old bubbas like your toys too much to give them up to save some innocents. GFY dude.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:18 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:29 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:15 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:16 am We have mass shootings in this country every god damn night. The numbers don't grab headlines with fat ass white liberals. If a few young black kids are shot to death with ILLEGAL WEAPONS every night NBD. BTW there you pint size legal beagle...explain how confiscating legally purchased rifles will be easy?? It would be about as easy as getting ILLEGAL WEAPONS off of the streets.

Such completely disingenuous gaslight whataboutism bull shirt. GMAFB.

We have three serious gun violence problems in our country: (i) urban shooitngs (often gang related), (ii) suicides and (iii) angry white dudes going postal. They each require different approaches. Duh.

(iii) is the easiest to solve by far. Get rid of the forking AR 15s. Which is what our peer nations have done -- UK, Australia, NZ, Canada, EU. And even we used to be smart enough to ban them too -- as supported by lots of normie Republicans including Ronald Reagan.

And then we got hijacked by the toxic NRA and the awful GOP right wing leadership.
No disingenuous anything here. What is your plan counselor dumbass to eradicate ILLEGAL WEAPONS??? Do you even know or understand what an illegal weapon is? Do you even care???
Why don't you explain to us dummies what an "illegal weapon" is, and how it got into the hands of a criminal.

I'm interested in learning what you think us dummies don't understand.

BTW, if I buy an AR-15 following all the rules, and then go out and commit mass murder with it, is it now a 'legal weapon' or an 'illegal weapon' ? Still "legal" right? Or did it become illegal when I committed a crime? or only when I'm convicted of the crime? Or is still "legal" and I just have to sell it at say, a gun show? or give it to my kid?

How about I bought it 10 years ago and then my son took it out and committed mass murder? Is that a 'legal weapon' or an 'illegal' one?

Ok, how about I sold it to a guy at gun show and he goes out and commits mass murder...was that an 'illegal' weapon before it was used that way? Or after?

Or how about the weapon was stolen by someone working at my house...is that now an 'illegal weapon'? Was it "illegal" before it was stolen?

How about a gun manufacturer sells a big shipment of weapons to someone who is an authorized gun dealer, but he sells them in bulk to a guy who then goes to a gun show and sells them to any tom, dick or harry? Legal or illegal?

How about the authorized gun dealer sells them to a representative of a gang...but the individual does all the right paperwork? And he then turns and provides the guns to his gang? Legal or illegal?

Does it matter if the gun manufacturer or dealer had a hunch the guns were going into the gun show market or elsewhere? should they have to care?
An illegal weapon means the person in possession of that weapon came across possession of weapon in violation of local, state and federal law. That definition can vary greatly from state to state. I'm glad I could straiten that out for you. Dumbasses like you are the best friends ignorant people can ever have. Your a 12 gauge shotgun duck guy. You ever heard of a trench duster?? You should then be able to comprehend the devastation a 12 gauge with double aught buckshot can unleash in a few seconds. The 12 gauge pump shotgun was a favorite of many GIs who were engaged in close quarters combat. Accuracy was not as important as putting lethal firepower at the bad guys. 5.56 can't do what a 12 gauge can do in a narrow field of engagement. There is a good damn reason the 12 gauge was a good friend of any infantry soldier. FTR MD, and please check me if you think I'm wrong, the Germans in WW1 protested loudly about the British use of " trench duster" shotguns. I'm surprised a shotgun aficionado such as yourself is unaware how devastating the 12 gauge was and still is when it comes to killing alot of people very quickly.
I think you avoided my questions?
As usual?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone catch this one yesterday.....https://www.fox29.com/video/1301972
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Appears they found the Maine shooter, deceased.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

ggait wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:25 pm

If you value all life, then why do you argue against banning the AR15s that kill people in mass shootings.

Instead, since you don't give a shirt about those people, you deflect by saying what about all the black kids in the hood getting shot with handguns.

So, yeah, we should try to save lives in the hood. But it is insincere to say we can't address the mess from AR15s because of inner city handguns.

And by the way, the AR15 problem is just super easy to solve. Been solved in every other civilized country. But you old bubbas like your toys too much to give them up to save some innocents. GFY dude.
Well that escalated quickly. :roll:

I must have hit a nerve.

I'm not sure who you are confusing me with, but I am not against an ar15 ban. I don't love ar15s. Or handguns.

But I am smart enough to know that banning the ar15 won't solve the problem. It never does. It might stem the tide until
something else comes along. [Insert new favorite gun for shooters to use.]

Still waiting for you to be more sincere and give a rats a55 about handguns and all the senseless deaths they cause.

I guess the problem was expecting some level of common sense or empathy on your part. I posted the data above. It's quite easy to see what guns are killing the most people. And ripping apart families. Year. After. Year. Decade. After. Decade.

You do understand what all this killing and death is doing to suburban and urban life and communities, right? Or do you just care about the deaths of what you call "innocents?"

:idea:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:03 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:16 am We have mass shootings in this country every god damn night. The numbers don't grab headlines with fat ass white liberals. If a few young black kids are shot to death with ILLEGAL WEAPONS every night NBD. BTW there you pint size legal beagle...explain how confiscating legally purchased rifles will be easy?? It would be about as easy as getting ILLEGAL WEAPONS off of the streets.

We have three serious gun violence problems in our country: (i) urban shooitngs (often gang related), (ii) suicides and (iii) angry white dudes going postal. They each require different approaches. Duh.

(iii) is the easiest to solve by far. Get rid of the forking AR 15s. Which is what our peer nations have done -- UK, Australia, NZ, Canada, EU. And even we used to be smart enough to ban them too -- as supported by lots of normie Republicans including Ronald Reagan.

And then we got hijacked by the toxic NRA and the awful GOP right wing leadership.
No disingenuous anything here. What is your plan counselor dumbass to eradicate ILLEGAL WEAPONS??? Do you even know or understand what an illegal weapon is? Do you even care???
Why don't you explain to us dummies what an "illegal weapon" is, and how it got into the hands of a criminal.

BTW, if I buy an AR-15 following all the rules, and then go out and commit mass murder with it, is it now a 'legal weapon' or an 'illegal weapon' ? Still "legal" right? Or did it become illegal when I committed a crime? or only when I'm convicted of the crime? Or is still "legal" and I just have to sell it at say, a gun show? or give it to my kid?

How about I bought it 10 years ago and then my son took it out and committed mass murder? Is that a 'legal weapon' or an 'illegal' one?

Ok, how about I sold it to a guy at gun show and he goes out and commits mass murder...was that an 'illegal' weapon before it was used that way? Or after?

Or how about the weapon was stolen by someone working at my house...is that now an 'illegal weapon'? Was it "illegal" before it was stolen?

How about a gun manufacturer sells a big shipment of weapons to someone who is an authorized gun dealer, but he sells them in bulk to a guy who then goes to a gun show and sells them to any tom, dick or harry? Legal or illegal?

How about the authorized gun dealer sells them to a representative of a gang...but the individual does all the right paperwork? And he then turns and provides the guns to his gang? Legal or illegal?

Does it matter if the gun manufacturer or dealer had a hunch the guns were going into the gun show market or elsewhere? should they have to care?
An illegal weapon means the person in possession of that weapon came across possession of weapon in violation of local, state and federal law. That definition can vary greatly from state to state. I'm glad I could straiten that out for you. Dumbasses like you are the best friends ignorant people can ever have. Your a 12 gauge shotgun duck guy. You ever heard of a trench duster?? You should then be able to comprehend the devastation a 12 gauge with double aught buckshot can unleash in a few seconds. The 12 gauge pump shotgun was a favorite of many GIs who were engaged in close quarters combat. Accuracy was not as important as putting lethal firepower at the bad guys. 5.56 can't do what a 12 gauge can do in a narrow field of engagement. There is a good damn reason the 12 gauge was a good friend of any infantry soldier. FTR MD, and please check me if you think I'm wrong, the Germans in WW1 protested loudly about the British use of " trench duster" shotguns. I'm surprised a shotgun aficionado such as yourself is unaware how devastating the 12 gauge was and still is when it comes to killing alot of people very quickly.
As usual?
Your questions are nonsensical and borderline stupid. If you want to narrow down your questions outside of the realm of what is hypothetical I'll be glad to reply. In NYS there are no gunshow loopholes. To purchase any weapon in NYS you have to be approved for the sale by passing an FBI background check. I had to pass that FBI screening when I purchased my 410 single barrel shotgun. It took 5 minutes. You can't purchase any weapon at a gun show in NYS without being approved via an FBI background check. The very real problem of illegal weapons being possessed by actual convicted criminals is something you are going out of your way to obfuscate. You detest AR 15 type of weapons. You think they should be banned. I'm not a fan of AR 15 type weapons. I understand their popularity. If you enjoy plinking they are a lot of fun. An outright ban would create a nightmare scenario for law enforcement. There are untold millions of these weapons LEGALLY owned by American citizens. When YOUR willing to become the lead dog in the confiscation effort and start knocking on doors telling people to hand them over then I'll be very impressed. Until that day happens MD you need to face reality, these weapons are here to stay. The attempts to regulate these weapons are borderline idiotic. NYS passed the SAFE ACT in an attempt to try and do so. The guidelines are pathetic at best. There are a variety of AR type weapons and configurations that are banned or limited. You can purchase a Ruger mini 14 legally in any gun shop that wants to sell them. They don't look scary like most AR 15 type weapons. They are functionally the same damn weapon from caliber to maximum effective range. You wanna talk lethality did you bother to investigate what a trench duster shotgun can do? Those 12 gauge pump shotguns are still popular in the army and Marines today. They just are not popular with most people interested in killing a lot of people yet. Your familar with shotguns. How fast could you fan out 6 rounds of double aught buckshot at point blank range? You don't even need to aim, just point into a crowd of people and shoot. Sick people will always find the weapon they need to do the job
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:48 pm https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/26/us/brexi ... index.html

In other news…..
Not an uncommon story in America today. The issue is the gun and not the sick mentality it takes to pull the trigger. Someone disrespects you then shoot them. Why would a 16 year old want to shoot anyone??
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Stupid.

There are sick puppies all over the world.

But the shootings only happen here to a crazy degree.

Because we have more guns than cell phones, TVs, cars or people. That is just completely forked up.

And because the sick stupid attitudes about “muh riots” teaches people that gun fire is a normal acceptable way to deal with your life.

Those two are related. And completely fubar.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:40 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:48 pm https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/26/us/brexi ... index.html

In other news…..
Not an uncommon story in America today. The issue is the gun and not the sick mentality it takes to pull the trigger. Someone disrespects you then shoot them. Why would a 16 year old want to shoot anyone??
Because they have easy access to a gun and don’t want a physical fight.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:57 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:40 pm

In other news…..
Because they have easy access to a gun and don’t want a physical fight.
Indiana Jones illustrates the issue

BTW - in the Maine shooting case - NYS Police didn’t pursue ‘red flag’ order for Maine shooting suspect
Robert Card was transported July 16 by State Police to a military hospital near West Point after he was behaving erratically

https://www.timesunion.com/state/articl ... 450627.php

They apparently did not alert the Maine State police either although Maine only has a yellow flag law for firearms.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:50 am

I must have hit a nerve.

I'm not sure who you are confusing me with, but I am not against an ar15 ban. I don't love ar15s. Or handguns.

But I am smart enough to know that banning the ar15 won't solve the problem. It never does. It might stem the tide until

Still waiting for you to be more sincere and give a rats a55 about handguns and all the senseless deaths they cause.

I guess the problem was expecting some level of common sense or empathy on your part. I posted the data above. It's quite easy to see what guns are killing the most people. And ripping apart families. Year. After. Year. Decade. After. Decade.

You do understand what all this killing and death is doing to suburban and urban life and communities, right? Or do you just care about the deaths of what you call "innocents?"

First of all, assault weapons...AR-15's are but one of the most popular such. They are intended for max damage to adversaries, as many and as fast as possible for a weapon easily carried in combat. That's their sole purpose.

And so they are the weapon of choice for mass murder rampages.

And yes, elimination of them DOES dramatically reduce such events and the damage accomplished when someone attempts doing so with another type of gun. Tons of evidence that elimination of these weapons from circulation and use makes a huge difference in these types of crimes.

But nothing about banning assault weapons precludes significant reduction in the numbers of hand guns in circulation, unsecured and easily used by anyone able to get their hands on them. Regulating usage, when and where and by whom they can be used, carried, secured...and regulation can include the requirement for biometric triggering, making it much more difficult for criminals to utilize the weapon

And, of course, banning assault weapons does not preclude prosecution and punishment of handgun regulation violations.

I haven't heard ggait argue against any such handgun regulation, have you?

But the problems and remedies are different. That's his point, if I read him correctly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:08 pm

As usual?
Your questions are nonsensical and borderline stupid. If you want to narrow down your questions outside of the realm of what is hypothetical I'll be glad to reply. In NYS there are no gunshow loopholes. To purchase any weapon in NYS you have to be approved for the sale by passing an FBI background check. I had to pass that FBI screening when I purchased my 410 single barrel shotgun. It took 5 minutes. You can't purchase any weapon at a gun show in NYS without being approved via an FBI background check. The very real problem of illegal weapons being possessed by actual convicted criminals is something you are going out of your way to obfuscate. You detest AR 15 type of weapons. You think they should be banned. I'm not a fan of AR 15 type weapons. I understand their popularity. If you enjoy plinking they are a lot of fun. An outright ban would create a nightmare scenario for law enforcement. There are untold millions of these weapons LEGALLY owned by American citizens. When YOUR willing to become the lead dog in the confiscation effort and start knocking on doors telling people to hand them over then I'll be very impressed. Until that day happens MD you need to face reality, these weapons are here to stay. The attempts to regulate these weapons are borderline idiotic. NYS passed the SAFE ACT in an attempt to try and do so. The guidelines are pathetic at best. There are a variety of AR type weapons and configurations that are banned or limited. You can purchase a Ruger mini 14 legally in any gun shop that wants to sell them. They don't look scary like most AR 15 type weapons. They are functionally the same damn weapon from caliber to maximum effective range. You wanna talk lethality did you bother to investigate what a trench duster shotgun can do? Those 12 gauge pump shotguns are still popular in the army and Marines today. They just are not popular with most people interested in killing a lot of people yet. Your familar with shotguns. How fast could you fan out 6 rounds of double aught buckshot at point blank range? You don't even need to aim, just point into a crowd of people and shoot. Sick people will always find the weapon they need to do the job
For all your griping about New York State, their gun laws are rational and on the right path. Too bad that they are so close to states in which the laws are very loose. 28 out of 22 states do not require a background check at a gun show, making it super easy to just go purchase as many as you'd like without any restriction. Pennsylvania, for instance, has a background check for hand gun sales at gun shows, but not for assault weapons...does that sound rational?

I'm not sure why you ignore that we had a ban on assault weapons, supported by very high percentages of gun owners, Ronald Reagan, etc and it indeed reduced crimes committed with these weapons and mass murders overall. It WAS working, and there's no reason it wouldn't work again. But we do need the political will. I've repeatedly suggested a perfectly rational way for regulated usage of such weapons at well regulated gun ranges, for those who insist that they merely want to use them for sporting events. But not elsewhere.

When shotguns become the weapon of choice for killing dozens of people at a clip, let's talk about how to reduce such usage, but as they've never been the weapon of choice, including when assault weapons were banned, I see no likelihood of that happening.

However, let's not kid ourselves that there's a single magic 'bullet' regulation which will solve every situation...as I've said, I'm in favor of a whole range of regulations; a 'defense in depth' strategy of reducing guns in America.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:50 am

I must have hit a nerve.

It’s not about observing the symptoms (death by gun) but the diagnosis isn’t the same for each. Like with Covid where some were medically better off without the vaccine so with.

If you really think about it, it’s disingenuous to present a side focused on managing/mitigating a specific problem as not rewriting death or murder equally because the prescription isn’t to treat both the same.

So starting out with “I treat all people as equal…”, clearly attempting to present the dichotomy with the other person not treating all life as equal, is an attempt to win rather than solve anything.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:08 pm

As usual?

Perpetrator
edit

Kyle Aaron Huff (September 22, 1977 – March 25, 2006) was identified as the shooter in the morning massacre. His motive remains unknown. Huff claimed to have attended The Art Institute of Seattle and North Seattle Community College, although neither institution has records of him attending.

He had previously been arrested in his hometown of Whitefish, Montana, for destroying a public arts project and was charged with a felony. (He shot up a statue of a moose that was part of an installation called "Moose on the Loose.") He was described by residents there as a well-liked person with a minor history of delinquency. He moved to Seattle with his twin brother about five years before the shooting. He had little contact with police in Seattle, but was involved in a brawl at the Lobo Saloon in 2004.[20]

Kyle Huff's weapons & ammunition
The weapons used were purchased legally at sporting goods stores in Kalispell, Montana.[21] They were seized by the police in Whitefish after he pleaded guilty to a reduced misdemeanor mischief charge in the moose incident. They were returned after he paid restitution and a fine. The original felony charge for destroying the art would have prohibited him from legally owning firearms.

Huff was not well known in Seattle's rave scene. Very few people in the scene knew him or interacted with him. On February 1, 2006, someone with the email address [email protected] asked on an internet message board run by local raver Groovinkim when the next rave was, because he'd never been to one.[22]

Motive
edit

A possible window into the killer's motives appeared nearly a month after the event. An apartment manager of a complex about a mile from Huff's residence called police about a possible bomb he found while inspecting dumpsters, although that bomb turned out to be just modeling clay and wires. In the investigation afterwards, police found a handwritten note in the dumpster apparently written by Huff. On June 6, the police released the letter, not yet authenticated, to the media.[23] A week later, the Washington State Patrol's Crime Lab concluded that it was "highly probable" that the letter was authentic. Arguments in favor of authenticity included the fact that the letter was written on stationery from the apartment complex where the Huff brothers lived and matched several known samples of the killer's writing, according to crime lab experts.[24] The Stranger, an alternative weekly, earlier claimed that the handwriting on the letter appeared to be identical to samples from a job application of Huff's that the periodical had obtained.[25]

The letter, dated two days before the killings, was specific in expressing the writer's anger at young ravers for their provocative lifestyle, particularly their sexual freedom, and said that the things they did and said were too disturbing for the writer to live with. It ended with the quote "Now, kids, Now", reminiscent of the letters "NOW" that Huff spray painted during the massacre.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:18 pm Dumbasses like you...
Cradle (and all), no personal attacks.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Return to “POLITICS”