PLL 2023

PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE
bearlaxfan

Re: PLL 2023

Post by bearlaxfan »

Wonder what the marketing research looked like to schedule semis on NFL opening Sunday vs FBS Saturday. Or was it field availability?

Go Cannons!
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Not sure the reasoning but it seems like it'd be tough to have strong viewership either way.

I'm curious as to all your thoughts on the best way to hypothetically structure the season.

Personally, I obviously want them to play many games because I enjoy watching, but the summer is such a limited time frame if the start is after memorial day, there are breaks for all star week (and world games this year), and then competing against the start of football season.

I know the all star game seems popular and tends to get strong views, but do you all genuinely care about it? I'm torn - it's definitely fun but I'm not sold that it's a need.

I think ideally, first weekend after memorial day to labor day would be a timeline that makes sense. That's around 12 weekends or so? Things would be tight and there'd have to be some scheduling concessions (all star game, summer break). I don't hate the idea of going back to double headers, but I'm not sure how the players would feel. Two teams could host a pod of four teams every weekend in their home city, and each team could play a game on Saturday and Sunday (or Friday if they want). That would also allow for some breaks in the summer even in a shorter season.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Once they're back associated with cities/regions I wouldn't mind summer Friday evening or night games, and since the league really targets youth this would work at least until fall highschool sports start up. Once schools reopen and the NFL gorilla starts up, IDK. Think the schedule has to stay post-Memorial to late summer.
How many PLL players are still semi-pro, with real world day jobs as compared with other players who play, coach, camp, & NLL for a living? This could make Fridays a no-go for some/many.
Olderbarndog

Post by Olderbarndog »

Sat through a little over a quarter of the Pats-Jets and switched over to the PLL Championship. Straight up bad football, nearly unwatchable.

Contrast that to the lax game, played by athletes that practice minimally. Awesome, entertaining game, actually enjoyable. While I hope the league will expand a bit, the idea that you're watching the best of the best to me ensures that we'll continue to see a higher level of play. Please don't get to carried away with expansion.

Never, ever will happen, but I think the NFL could s#$%can 4-8 perenially bad franchises. For me despite some of the truly excellent teams we see on Sunday, overall the league is pretty boring. At least Premier League Futbol has relegation. Superior athletes, inferior product, IMHO.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Controversial end to a great season. No shot clock reset on a Sowers post hit for the Dogs in the final minutes, and a freebie shot clock reset on a no shot play leading to the Schrieber game winning goal for the Archers.

Either way, thanks laxmouse for your takes and conversation. Nice to have some chatter on this league.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:59 am Controversial end to a great season. No shot clock reset on a Sowers post hit for the Dogs in the final minutes, and a freebie shot clock reset on a no shot play leading to the Schrieber game winning goal for the Archers.

Either way, thanks laxmouse for your takes and conversation. Nice to have some chatter on this league.
yeah, the latter part of that was messed up. the former was fine, dogs got a save @ 3.56 on the clock had run out by the time mcardle (not sowers) had taken one step from x, well behind the cage. the clock operator and horn operator just seemed asleep at the switch throughout late game. and is there any stop time in the 4th quarter on dead ball? last minute or 2?

but o'keefe's shot clearly hit the defenseman eating the shot. not sure how that wasn't reviewed by the refs or a waterdog challenge. meanwhile, cotter keeps calling it a far pipe again and again in the face of all allowable physics laws.

Return to “PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE”