W&L 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
AbeFroeman

Re: W&L 2023

Post by AbeFroeman »

valaxfan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:38 pm
RE6ULATOR wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:58 am
valaxfan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:26 am …InsiderRoll, and a break from his in-depth analysis that seems to draw comments from many in lax solar system, LOL. And, quite honestly, I think InsiderRoll makes some outstanding points, and I am not sure why he receives the treatment he does…

At any time, if anyone wants to contact me by message, I would love to meet you, maybe at a game, and discuss lax. I pride myself on being very fair about my opinions, just ask my 3 sons, now grown men, how fair I was when I coached them for some 14 years in various sports, as they grew up. I don't hide behind valaxfan, I have met many laxpower posters in the past by reaching out, and many have become my lifelong friends, and that is how it should be.

valaxfan
InsiderRoll does seem to have a plethora of “insider” information. Unfortunately he has a big issue with York, it is what it is, and just like all of the stats he quotes to back his opinions, the numbers don’t lie. His post count on “in-depth analysis” of W&L is rivaled only by his post count on negatives about York.

Perhaps you could ask him why he has such an issue with York, as opposed to wondering why he gets the treatment he does in response :roll:. In any event, he doesn’t seem to be around so much lately. And I don’t imagine he will be meeting up with other posters anytime soon, as I’ve kind of got the impression he is hiding behind the screen name.
I would recommend you message him and you guys settle your differences privately, not in public on these forums. Anytime you are going to see the Gennies play, contact me, and I will include you in our fan base for that game, beers/cokes on me.

Thx, valaxfan
Beers on you? I will be looking for you at the York game :):)
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:40 pm
valaxfan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:26 am … I am not sure why he receives the treatment he does…
Perhaps you could ask him why he has such an issue with York, as opposed to wondering why he gets the treatment he does in response :roll:
… why is this topic being brought back up?
Certainly not helping anyone move on IMO.

InsiderRoll has been pretty consistent with his attempts to drag down one particular program, and seems to enjoy the back and forths his attacks generate. So I don’t know that I would describe it as “the treatment he receives,” because it seems like he initiates a lot of it, and craves the ensuing discourse…
100%
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

AbeFroeman wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:22 pm
valaxfan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:38 pm
valaxfan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:26 am …InsiderRoll, and a break from his in-depth analysis that seems to draw comments from many in lax solar system, LOL. And, quite honestly, I think InsiderRoll makes some outstanding points, and I am not sure why he receives the treatment he does…

At any time, if anyone wants to contact me by message, I would love to meet you, maybe at a game, and discuss lax. I pride myself on being very fair about my opinions, just ask my 3 sons, now grown men, how fair I was when I coached them for some 14 years in various sports, as they grew up. I don't hide behind valaxfan, I have met many laxpower posters in the past by reaching out, and many have become my lifelong friends, and that is how it should be.

valaxfan
InsiderRoll does seem to have a plethora of “insider” information. Unfortunately he has a big issue with York, it is what it is, and just like all of the stats he quotes to back his opinions, the numbers don’t lie. His post count on “in-depth analysis” of W&L is rivaled only by his post count on negatives about York.

Perhaps you could ask him why he has such an issue with York, as opposed to wondering why he gets the treatment he does in response :roll:. In any event, he doesn’t seem to be around so much lately. And I don’t imagine he will be meeting up with other posters anytime soon, as I’ve kind of got the impression he is hiding behind the screen name.
I would recommend you message him and you guys settle your differences privately, not in public on these forums. Anytime you are going to see the Gennies play, contact me, and I will include you in our fan base for that game, beers/cokes on me.

Thx, valaxfan
Beers on you? I will be looking for you at the York game :):)
Nice try AF ;-), but if you are in LexVA, and I'm there too, PM me.

valaxfan
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:09 pm Valid points. But the main point I would make is the sport was not well know. W&L is in VA. many high schools in VA didn’t even have lacrosse offered in the 70’s and 80’s. The talent pool was not deep. Could some of the top players from the 70’s compete vs today’s athletes? Sure. But the depth of todays teams are stacked from top to bottom. Todays teams are more conditioned and the game moves faster.
If you took a tram from the 70’s and played a team from today, it wouldn’t be close. But could you take athletes from the 70’s, place them on a fall team of today, and have them ready to start in spring on some top teams. Sure.

Any doubt, just look at a roster from the 70’s. I bet you won’t find many teams with more than 25-30 players. And once you get past the top 10 players, the talent probably dropped off fast.
Todays teams range around a roster size of 50, and the bottom 10 kids were all probably studs on their high school team
In the late 70's lacrosse was a club sport for HS players and the clubs had several different schools combined. Braddock Road was a VA club that actually sent a few players to play at D1 programs. The first official season in VA was 1988 when VHSL held a state championship but it was a provisional sport. While the talent pool in Virginia has grown a lot since then has it really impacted recruiting for W&L? Not sure they go after as many in state players. CNU really recruits in state. VMI and Richmond somewhat recruit in state. Last season my son played for the top HS team in Virginia and not one player was looking at W&L that I know of. They did get a few other VA kids but in previous seasons not as much. I guess even if lacrosse grows more in the state it does not seem to have a recruiting impact.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:03 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:09 pm Valid points. But the main point I would make is the sport was not well know. W&L is in VA. many high schools in VA didn’t even have lacrosse offered in the 70’s and 80’s. The talent pool was not deep. Could some of the top players from the 70’s compete vs today’s athletes? Sure. But the depth of todays teams are stacked from top to bottom. Todays teams are more conditioned and the game moves faster.
If you took a tram from the 70’s and played a team from today, it wouldn’t be close. But could you take athletes from the 70’s, place them on a fall team of today, and have them ready to start in spring on some top teams. Sure.

Any doubt, just look at a roster from the 70’s. I bet you won’t find many teams with more than 25-30 players. And once you get past the top 10 players, the talent probably dropped off fast.
Todays teams range around a roster size of 50, and the bottom 10 kids were all probably studs on their high school team
In the late 70's lacrosse was a club sport for HS players and the clubs had several different schools combined. Braddock Road was a VA club that actually sent a few players to play at D1 programs. The first official season in VA was 1988 when VHSL held a state championship but it was a provisional sport. While the talent pool in Virginia has grown a lot since then has it really impacted recruiting for W&L? Not sure they go after as many in state players. CNU really recruits in state. VMI and Richmond somewhat recruit in state. Last season my son played for the top HS team in Virginia and not one player was looking at W&L that I know of. They did get a few other VA kids but in previous seasons not as much. I guess even if lacrosse grows more in the state it does not seem to have a recruiting impact.
I just checked out last years roster, only 9 kids from Va. They seem to recruit NJ, 6 players from top 10 programs.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ838811.pdf
So much of recruiting has to do with test scores and parental income. The higher the test scores plus income the greater the ability to travel. Quite the hornets nest over the ability of players from 40-50 years ago to play in todays game, fair points all around. Had a HOF coach in high school, played with a number of them. I have to stick with my original premise that only a very small handful might be able to play( start) for a D1 team top 20, and I think I’m being generous. I’m thinking of 2 D men and a goalie, the goalie might have a shot the 2 D men not in a million years. The goalie was a USA team member and alternate 2x and 1 D man played on two USA teams he wouldn’t play today not even close as that’s the position that probably improved the most in 40-50 years
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:46 am

I just checked out last years roster, only 9 kids from Va. They seem to recruit NJ, 6 players from top 10 programs.
I am not saying the do not recruit well either it is just that recruiting may not have changed much at W&L with the growth of the sport in VA. By comparison CNU has close to 30 kids from VA. Richmond has also done well. UVA is UVA so they will take the top players from everywhere but have done well with VA players.
Dehuntshigwa’es

CNU essentially a state school like Salisbury they will dominate the Virginia market pressuring Roanoke Lynchburg, HSC
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:02 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:46 am

I am not saying the do not recruit well either it is just that recruiting may not have changed much at W&L with the growth of the sport in VA. By comparison CNU has close to 30 kids from VA. Richmond has also done well. UVA is UVA so they will take the top players from everywhere but have done well with VA players..

Gennies need some marketing help with Virginia High Schools. They do have the Johnson Scholarship but I would imagine not many VA kids know about it.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

UVA has 11 players on its roster from Virginia on its roster. How many recruits do people expect W&L to get from within state. They don’t recruit academically against Roanoke , Lynchburg, HSC or CNU. What I struggle with is seeing a kid go to a NECAC school over W&L assuming that they could get into W&L. I know of a player who tried and failed to enter W&L but was accepted to Amherst. Admission teams vary and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think for W&L’s academic profile they hold their own with Virginia recruits
5Star

Post by 5Star »

Long time reader and first time poster here. As a northern VA native and W&L alum I thought this was interesting so I did some research. The number VA players at W&L seems about right IMO.

VMI and CNU are state schools, it seems a little silly to compare their number of in-state players to private schools because of the in-state tuition paired with different admissions requirements. CNU is doing a terrific job, but 95% of its student body is from VA according to their website.

When compared to Richmond, W&L has more VA players on its 2023 roster (9) than Richmond (8). And according IL more commits from VA (4) than Richmond (1) in the 2023 and 2024 classes. It’s been brought up that Richmond recruits VA more successfully than W&L, I’m sure they are often getting a more high profile player but the numbers don’t support Richmond recruiting Virginia with any more priority. Perhaps more HS lacrosse players want to go there because it’s D1.

When comparing W&L to more regional private schools like Roanoke, Lynchburg, and HSC. HSC is the only school that seems to prioritize Virginia. Of all 5 of the schools it’s probably fair to say that W&L and Richmond have the most capability to attract students from all over the country.

HSC (27)
Lynchburg (10)
W&L (9)
Richmond (8)
Roanoke (6)

Lastly this info was recently sent out by W&L to alums. It summarizes the incoming class for the university. The link is below. But it shows that 17% of the incoming class is from Virginia. I counted 56 players on W&Ls roster. 9/56 = 16%. So these numbers all seem about right. Personally as an alum I am extremely excited by school’s growth and expansion to a more nationally recognized university in the future with a more diverse student body.

https://www.wlu.edu/admissions/apply/new-class-profile/
USMClaxdad

Post by USMClaxdad »

Good morning - Demographics on the freshman/2027 VMI lax class... 15 total

GA - 3
MD - 3
PA - 3
VA - 2
NY - 1
NH - 1
CA - 1
OR - 1
Dehuntshigwa’es

Going back 10 -12 years ago this website had great data and stats on the demographics and growth of the sport. They would show where all the D1,2and 3 players came from by state. Charts showing the growth of lax nationally and how it compared to other sports. If I recall correctly if you went back to the 70’s and early 80’s I don’t think there were more than 10,000 to 12,000 high school players at the time. Is anyone aware of other sites that might catch this data
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

USMClaxdad wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:44 am Good morning - Demographics on the freshman/2027 VMI lax class... 15 total

GA - 3
MD - 3
PA - 3
VA - 2
NY - 1
NH - 1
CA - 1
OR - 1
W&L seems to be putting less of an emphasis on Northeast recruiting. Last years roster had 17 (30%) kids from PA, NY, and New England and there are only 3 (12%) in the 2027 and 2028 classes. The 2027/2028 classes are heavy on MD (5) and NJ (4) kids.(36%)
Dehuntshigwa’es

I don’t think when they go to any of these recruiting camps or tournaments what state anyone comes from has anything to do with it. At some tournaments in Maryland you could have 9-10 teams from in state and 40 plus from out. You just want to see the kids who are on your radar and more importantly those you’ve vetted who you believe might have the academics to support their candidacy. I also can’t imagine the number of videos sent their way or they can just download. As the game has progressed west and south of Lexington I think the demographics are going to prove to be a significant boost for them. Not many schools south of Md or Pa can match their academics, same as you move west of Pa. Things are going to continue to heat up for the Generals.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:09 pm I don’t think when they go to any of these recruiting camps or tournaments what state anyone comes from has anything to do with it. At some tournaments in Maryland you could have 9-10 teams from in state and 40 plus from out. You just want to see the kids who are on your radar and more importantly those you’ve vetted who you believe might have the academics to support their candidacy. I also can’t imagine the number of videos sent their way or they can just download. As the game has progressed west and south of Lexington I think the demographics are going to prove to be a significant boost for them. Not many schools south of Md or Pa can match their academics, same as you move west of Pa. Things are going to continue to heat up for the Generals.
Well, let’s just hope the DC/Recruiting Coordinator remains focused on the task at hand, in this world full of distractions. His last time tasked with recruiting was pre-COVID. Quite a bit has changed. We shall see when his recruited players start seeing the field more and more.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:09 pm I don’t think when they go to any of these recruiting camps or tournaments what state anyone comes from has anything to do with it. At some tournaments in Maryland you could have 9-10 teams from in state and 40 plus from out. You just want to see the kids who are on your radar and more importantly those you’ve vetted who you believe might have the academics to support their candidacy. I also can’t imagine the number of videos sent their way or they can just download. As the game has progressed west and south of Lexington I think the demographics are going to prove to be a significant boost for them. Not many schools south of Md or Pa can match their academics, same as you move west of Pa. Things are going to continue to heat up for the Generals.
True - outside of New England, New York, and PA, there are very few D3 programs with academic (and acceptance) rankings comparable to W&L. Colorado College, Denison, Kenyon, & Oberlin come to mind.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:58 am Going back 10 -12 years ago this website had great data and stats on the demographics and growth of the sport. They would show where all the D1,2and 3 players came from by state. Charts showing the growth of lax nationally and how it compared to other sports. If I recall correctly if you went back to the 70’s and early 80’s I don’t think there were more than 10,000 to 12,000 high school players at the time. Is anyone aware of other sites that might catch this data
early to mid 80's there were at least 850-900 high schools playing. so the numbers were quite a bit higher. my high school had over 100 kids on the boys side including lower levels, though that wouldn't be the norm everywhere.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:38 am UVA has 11 players on its roster from Virginia on its roster. How many recruits do people expect W&L to get from within state. They don’t recruit academically against Roanoke , Lynchburg, HSC or CNU. What I struggle with is seeing a kid go to a NECAC school over W&L assuming that they could get into W&L. I know of a player who tried and failed to enter W&L but was accepted to Amherst. Admission teams vary and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think for W&L’s academic profile they hold their own with Virginia recruits
I thought the discussion was around kids at public Virginia High Schools, VHSL, not private schools. In that case, Generals have 2 kids, out of 9, in public high schools, EC Glass in Lynchburg. This is where the Gennies could do some marketing I believe.

valaxfan
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:03 pm In the late 70's lacrosse was a club sport for HS players and the clubs had several different schools combined. Braddock Road was a VA club that actually sent a few players to play at D1 programs. The first official season in VA was 1988 when VHSL held a state championship but it was a provisional sport.
valaxfan wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:39 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:38 am UVA has 11 players on its roster from Virginia on its roster. How many recruits do people expect W&L to get from within state. They don’t recruit academically against Roanoke , Lynchburg, HSC or CNU. What I struggle with is seeing a kid go to a NECAC school over W&L assuming that they could get into W&L. I know of a player who tried and failed to enter W&L but was accepted to Amherst. Admission teams vary and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think for W&L’s academic profile they hold their own with Virginia recruits
I thought the discussion was around kids at public Virginia High Schools, VHSL, not private schools. In that case, Generals have 2 kids, out of 9, in public high schools, EC Glass in Lynchburg. This is where the Gennies could do some marketing I believe.

valaxfan
I played on those BRYC lacrosse teams. We effectively were part of the IAC while also scheduling games against the small handful of public schools beginning to field teams (Robinson, Oakton, Lake Braddock) as a way to help grow the sport. We did send kids to D1 programs (the best teammate I had went on to be an AA at Maryland), but most of the IAC players were destined for D3 schools as the DC area lacrosse scene was still behind Baltimore and Long Island. In the years I played, I remember sending guys to: Maryland, Cornell, Salisbury, Cortland, Randolph Macon, Hampton-Sydney, Radford, Gettysburg and a few of the other PA programs, along with a couple of NESCAC schools.

I think 5Star is doing the right analysis - W&L has never pulled very hard from the NoVa public schools - given the cost differential vs the plethora of excellent state schools it is a very hard sell to get a kid (who is probably going to just miss the threshold for qualifying for any need based aid, to pay 2x for W&L when he can select UVA, William & Mary or VaTech (engineering). Of course it will happen, just saying it is a tough sell.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”