W&L 2023 Recruits

D3 Mens Lacrosse
valaxfan

Re: W&L 2023 Recruits

Post by valaxfan »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:07 pm
JPAtlantic wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:59 am
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:20 am Any idea who some of the Gennies’ participants are? Are they mostly just the first years?
No - It is most of the team. 30+ players on team.

Gennies lost to Randolph Macon (Tequilla Mockingbird) this morning in OT 8-7.
My understanding is it’s 3 seniors. Missing Burns, Brown, Elliott, Albregt, Allen, Mannino, Cohen, Beatty, Heald… so basically they have 1 or 2 starters present.

Heard they had a great time though
How about any Class of 27 players?

valaxfan
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

valaxfan wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:22 pm
W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:20 am Any idea who some of the Gennies’ participants are? Are they mostly just the first years?

My understanding is it’s 3 seniors. Missing Burns, Brown, Elliott, Albregt, Allen, Mannino, Cohen, Beatty, Heald… so basically they have 1 or 2 starters present.

valaxfan
I think a good amount of them are there.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

I noticed that Randolph Macon now has the former W&L assistant coach, Ryan Rhode, as their new offensive coordinator. He knows W&L well. I wonder if he was at that game.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:27 pm

valaxfan
Are coaches allowed to go to these events, say from the sidelines? I know when I coached my sons fall teams, I could interact with the coaches but the coaches could not with the players.

valaxfan
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

valaxfan wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:15 pm

valaxfan
Are coaches allowed to go to these events, say from the sidelines? I know when I coached my sons fall teams, I could interact with the coaches but the coaches could not with the players.

valaxfan
I am not sure. I’m sure that the coaches want to enjoy their summer and get a break from their teams.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

valaxfan

valaxfan
Sure but why would they want to go watch a bunch of either drunk or hungover guys playing lacrosse. I am sure that they have seen these guys plenty and don’t need to waste what little time they have left prior to kids reporting back to school.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Asgot wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:43 am

valaxfan

valaxfan
Sure but why would they want to go watch a bunch of either drunk or hungover guys playing lacrosse. I am sure that they have seen these guys plenty and don’t need to waste what little time they have left prior to kids reporting back to school.
They probably don't go but I was thinking if there are incoming Freshmen playing, and they happen to be in the area, maybe they want to check that out. Agree, enjoy your time away from lax while you can.

valaxfan
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

valaxfan
Is this common, to have freshman or even current roster, playing in this event? Or is this unique to W&L? Looking at some of the highlights and team pics, many of the teams looked old. I think York only had one or two current players, and I think they were grad kids.

I guess it depends how many of your roster is close enough to attend
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I do not think that having freshmen play is the norm but maybe it is for W&L
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Asgot wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:17 pm I do not think that having freshmen play is the norm but maybe it is for W&L
Well, Freshmen or not, good to see the Gennies competing, and ODAC representing in OC, as both Tequilla Mockingbird and the Gennies lost to the tournament winner.

valaxfan
LongPolePreacher

Post by LongPolePreacher »

I realize this is men’s lacrosse, but if you will allow me I would like to shift gears on you a bit and address W&L’s women’s lacrosse and recruiting in general and its impact on all sports at W&L including men’s lacrosse.
As an old long poler and father of a W&L women’s laxer (’02) I have been fascinated with the change occurring in your alma mater. Women’s lacrosse in one of several examples of a program that simply accelerated with a very smart hire in coach Brooke O’Brien. She in my mind is the future of the game, terribly smart, knows how to market, and is fearless in spreading the gospel of what she believes. She left a legacy that no General can ignore as her presence has remained impacting the school in general.
Coach Coleman seems to be on the right track even if her public persona is more muted than O’Brien’s, it seems to be successfully building on a solid foundation.
Speaking of recruiting, a subject I follow with great interest, look at the thirteen women recruits the Generals pulled in starting this year. All of you need to look at their school vita. Every single one had grades of 4.0 or much higher with AP courses galore. Yet there is something else all of you need to take note of as it impacts all recruiting in all sports.
Your school has in the last few years been emphasizing and accelerating leadership in its recruiting and undergrad curriculum. Exceptional applicants love this and if you dig deeper every single one of the thirteen women recruits were presidents of the class or school as well as the captain of her team. The same thing can be said about all the athletes recruited for men's and women's sports at W&L. There are a lot of bright kids attending demanding schools, but not many emphasize leadership as your alma mater now does at every level! This enhances recruiting!
Finally, notice a trend in where many of the young women recruits went to secondary school. A growing majority did not go to boarding schools or private day schools as my daughter and I did, they went to public schools. The same thing can be said for the ten (so far) recruits for next year's class. Everyone went to a public high school. That is a huge shift! Why is this important? Given the size of these public high schools, the competition is far more intense in all sports. This is a national trend that has been increasing over the last 25 years for boys and girls lacrosse and W&L is the beneficiary on many levels.
I have a grandson in Georgia who is one of the top high school attack laxers in the south (A Connecticut Yankee knowing I have a nationally ranked grandson laxer from Georgia??). Why am I pushing W&L? Look at what I wrote above.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

LongPolePreacher wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:53 am I realize this is men’s lacrosse, but if you will allow me I would like to shift gears on you a bit and address W&L’s women’s lacrosse and recruiting in general and its impact on all sports at W&L including men’s lacrosse.
As an old long poler and father of a W&L women’s laxer (’02) I have been fascinated with the change occurring in your alma mater. Women’s lacrosse in one of several examples of a program that simply accelerated with a very smart hire in coach Brooke O’Brien. She in my mind is the future of the game, terribly smart, knows how to market, and is fearless in spreading the gospel of what she believes. She left a legacy that no General can ignore as her presence has remained impacting the school in general.
Coach Coleman seems to be on the right track even if her public persona is more muted than O’Brien’s, it seems to be successfully building on a solid foundation.
Speaking of recruiting, a subject I follow with great interest, look at the thirteen women recruits the Generals pulled in starting this year. All of you need to look at their school vita. Every single one had grades of 4.0 or much higher with AP courses galore. Yet there is something else all of you need to take note of as it impacts all recruiting in all sports.
Your school has in the last few years been emphasizing and accelerating leadership in its recruiting and undergrad curriculum. Exceptional applicants love this and if you dig deeper every single one of the thirteen women recruits were presidents of the class or school as well as the captain of her team. The same thing can be said about all the athletes recruited for men's and women's sports at W&L. There are a lot of bright kids attending demanding schools, but not many emphasize leadership as your alma mater now does at every level! This enhances recruiting!
Finally, notice a trend in where many of the young women recruits went to secondary school. A growing majority did not go to boarding schools or private day schools as my daughter and I did, they went to public schools. The same thing can be said for the ten (so far) recruits for next year's class. Everyone went to a public high school. That is a huge shift! Why is this important? Given the size of these public high schools, the competition is far more intense in all sports. This is a national trend that has been increasing over the last 25 years for boys and girls lacrosse and W&L is the beneficiary on many levels.
I have a grandson in Georgia who is one of the top high school attack laxers in the south (A Connecticut Yankee knowing I have a nationally ranked grandson laxer from Georgia??). Why am I pushing W&L? Look at what I wrote above.
This is a great post and its great to see female lacrosse having a much bigger impact on today's players. I hope your grandson does in fact consider W&L. I am sure Coach McCabe would love to see him play, if he hasn't already. Thanks so much for providing this information.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Anyone want to make suggestions as to who the most impactful freshman might be this season …I thought that the two freshman Ssdm last year had tape from high school that jumped off the screen. I thought they’d be ready to play but then proceeded to blow the doors off what I had expected. Hoping the goalie from Philly is legit, heard good things about him. Also looking forward to the young man from Texas currently playing football. Too bad he will miss fall ball, hopefully his athletic ceiling is such that he’s able to catch up.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

LongPolePreacher wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:53 am I realize this is men’s lacrosse, but if you will allow me I would like to shift gears on you a bit and address W&L’s women’s lacrosse and recruiting in general and its impact on all sports at W&L including men’s lacrosse.
As the parent of one of the 10 players in the 2024 class, I really appreciate these sentiments. She would have chosen W&L even if athletics were not in the mix.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

W&L is on everyone's radar if you have the grades and resume to get in, with or without lacrosse.

It is not hard to recruit good players to W&L. They always bring in tons of talent, every single year. It's one of the best schools in the country, steeped in history, the name carries a so much weight, sets you up in an alumni network that is second to none, you'll have a great job when you graduate. Recruiting there is easy.
LetTheBoyWatch

Post by LetTheBoyWatch »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:00 pm Anyone want to make suggestions as to who the most impactful freshman might be this season …I thought that the two freshman Ssdm last year had tape from high school that jumped off the screen. I thought they’d be ready to play but then proceeded to blow the doors off what I had expected. Hoping the goalie from Philly is legit, heard good things about him. Also looking forward to the young man from Texas currently playing football. Too bad he will miss fall ball, hopefully his athletic ceiling is such that he’s able to catch up.
The goalie, middie from CT, and D/LSM from NJ could all be factors.
LetTheBoyWatch

Post by LetTheBoyWatch »

And the faceoff kid from MD. He’s going to be great.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

MarionBarry wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:07 pm W&L is on everyone's radar if you have the grades and resume to get in, with or without lacrosse.

It is not hard to recruit good players to W&L. They always bring in tons of talent, every single year. It's one of the best schools in the country, steeped in history, the name carries a so much weight, sets you up in an alumni network that is second to none, you'll have a great job when you graduate. Recruiting there is easy.
Once again, the Great Mayor of DC, weighs in, this time on how everything is easy at W&L, why aren't they winning the NC each year, recruiting is easy, they are on everyone's radar.............. It's not THAT easy and you know that. Our Gennies group would love to sit down with you and entertain your insights to just how easy it is, along with all your documentation to that point because we have been following this team for over 50 years, and we have yet to see it.

valaxfan
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

valaxfan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:38 pm
MarionBarry wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:07 pm W&L is on everyone's radar if you have the grades and resume to get in, with or without lacrosse.

Once again, the Great Mayor of DC, weighs in, this time on how everything is easy at W&L, why aren't they winning the NC each year, recruiting is easy, they are on everyone's radar.............. It's not THAT easy and you know that. Our Gennies group would love to sit down with you and entertain your insights to just how easy it is, along with all your documentation to that point because we have been following this team for over 50 years, and we have yet to see it.

valaxfan

Getting great talent doesn't equal winning National Championships.So many things have to break your way to win it all. W&L is a national brand and a highly respected academic institution. One of the few division 3 schools in the south with NESCAC like academics. Of course it is going to be and attractive destination for a young man who wants to play high level d3 lacrosse. So yes the former mayor of DC is correct it is EASY to recruit to W&L compared to about 95% of division 3 MLAX, heck most of college lacrosse in general. Yes there are admissions standards but when your sport tends to scew high academic this becomes a massive recruiting advantage. Id argue W&L's biggest issue over recent memory has been W&L. I've watched them quite a few times over the last 10 years in person and I must say over the ten year stretch they are a top 3 most impressive program I've seen when it comes to talent acquisition. Why that hasn't shown up in the W/L column ill let the rest of you debate.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:10 pm
valaxfan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:38 pm

valaxfan

Getting great talent doesn't equal winning National Championships.So many things have to break your way to win it all. W&L is a national brand and a highly respected academic institution. One of the few division 3 schools in the south with NESCAC like academics. Of course it is going to be and attractive destination for a young man who wants to play high level d3 lacrosse. So yes the former mayor of DC is correct it is EASY to recruit to W&L compared to about 95% of division 3 MLAX, heck most of college lacrosse in general. Yes there are admissions standards but when your sport tends to scew high academic this becomes a massive recruiting advantage. Id argue W&L's biggest issue over recent memory has been W&L. I've watched them quite a few times over the last 10 years in person and I must say over the ten year stretch they are a top 3 most impressive program I've seen when it comes to talent acquisition. Why that hasn't shown up in the W/L column ill let the rest of you debate.
If you are pointing to the coaching staff as the issue, I think the coaching staff had a pivotal year last year, and I believe the program could be set to be as strong as you mention.

valaxfan

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”