Most Painful Loss You Have Witnessed Involving Your Favorite Program?

D3 Mens Lacrosse
valaxfan

Re: Most Painful Loss You Have Witnessed Involving Your Favorite Program?

Post by valaxfan »

MVPiccoli wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:09 am VALaxFan, that is an incredible pull. I would love to grab a time machine and see that decade of ball live. Before my era. I forget sometimes how storied the W&L program truly is...very cool. Mind blowing that given all those great teams no one brought home a 'ship.
MVP, yes, that 1974 season was a special team with Hall of Famers on it, and was our chance and while W&L played Hopkins close, at Hopkins, with the aid of bad calls, one can only imagine how the game would have been if played in Lexington in front of the home crowd of upwards 15,000 fans, probably more like 10,000, but still it would have been great to be a part of that and many of us feel the NCAA screwed little W&L back then. Now, hoping Coach McCabe, and staff, get one for us old timers, and for the new timers too. For those of you who remember referee Bob Sandell, even he said we got screwed, and he was a Charlottesville guy.

valaxfan
VaWesLaxPapi

Post by VaWesLaxPapi »

Every time 22 on CNU has scored in OT on Lynchburg the past 3 years. All of those sting but I believe the 2021 elite 8 takes the crown.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

The ODAC as a whole has been so incredibly close to greatness so many times.

In 2003, on our bus ride from Radnor to Gull-land, Colf played the LYN v. SU game. You guys upset them that year. Forget the goalie's name but he played out of his mind. We were in over our heads, and Colf knew we were dreading the matchup. Our captain, Tom Gross (Comeswogue guy) was quoted after our pigtail win at Widener. He said that Salisbury is the juggernaut of D3 (I'm paraphrasing). The game tape gave us a little something. Something that Andy Murray, Bergey, Martin, Bigas, Dawson and company snuffed out 13-1. But still. Grew to like the LYN swagger as a result. Coach K is a really really good one.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

D3 Fan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:49 pm Far and away 2006 Salisbury's loss to Cortland. But this may have fueled the 2007-2008 undefeated teams.

On the flip side, some moments going the other way that brought happiness to me and no doubt crushed others.

2016 and 2017 Salisbury wins over Denison. Nosey Ned was spot on in his assessment, these were fantastic Big Red teams, probably the best since the 2008 squad.

2008 Double OT Salisbury win over Gettysburg in the Final 4. Also, the regular season clash was pretty insane as well. This was one of Gettysburg's best teams. The Bullets rebounded nicely in 2009 by completely controlling the Gulls regular season game and making it all the way to the finals before falling to Cortland.

2005 Salisbury wins the title over Middlebury by scoring 3 goals in the final 5.5 minutes to win 11 10. Chris Phillips for the win!

2003 Salisbury wins the title over Middlebury. Gulls 9-4 at the half, Middlebury ties it up at 13, only to lose 14 13. Chris Phillips for the win!

Sorry Midd fans, didn't mean to bring them up but these were epic matchups that could have gone either way.

Give me 10 goals and I can rewrite D3 lacrosse legacies. So many "so close" moments for so many.
it did ;)
minkhoo

Post by minkhoo »

valaxfan wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:21 pm May 25, 1974

Generals were beating Johns Hopkins at Homewood Field, National Semifinals,10-7, into the 4th quarter. Hopkins comes back, with some questionable in the crease violations, one by Franz W. that wasn't called, and another one, and wins 11-10. But, what hurt the most, W&L was second ranked in the country at the end of the season, and undefeated, Hopkins was ranked 3rd, with 2 losses. BUT, the NCAA committee seeded Hopkins 2nd and W&L 3rd. As evidence of common opponents, that season, W&L played and beat both Navy and UVA, both on the road, Hopkins lost to both teams, and both teams beat Princeton and Washington College. But, the lower seeding meant that W&L could not host Hopkins in Lexington, where the administration was preparing for upwards of 15,000 fans to descend on Lexington, if those 2 teams won their quarterfinals games, which they did, to see the Generals. Just the month before in Charlottesville against UVA, there was over 10,000 fans at Scott Stadium, most for W&L, to watch a 13-11 Generals win. To be fair, the last week of the season, Hopkins did beat Number 1 MD but selection should be based on your entire season, not one week, which apparently is what that NCAA committee did and it was not fair at all.

valaxfan

PS: After the Hopkins game and the questionable non calls for crease violations, many started calling Homewood, Homer Field.
I mostly lurk on topics today although I was a fairly active poster on Laxpower. I saw this topic a couple of months ago and have been avoiding it because this game ( the first W&L game I ever saw) was so painful for both my father (an alum) and I (entering freshman that fall) that we drove back to Philadelphia in total silence. Getting back to Homewood in 75 helped assuage the pain. But the 2001 game at Hampden-Sydney when W&L was #1 brought it all back. One goal loss, no possible redemption in an ODAC tournament, no Pool C bids that year meant no NCAA tournament. Crushing.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

minkhoo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:36 am

Generals were beating Johns Hopkins at Homewood Field, National Semifinals,10-7, into the 4th quarter. Hopkins comes back, with some questionable in the crease violations, one by Franz W. that wasn't called, and another one, and wins 11-10. But, what hurt the most, W&L was second ranked in the country at the end of the season, and undefeated, Hopkins was ranked 3rd, with 2 losses. BUT, the NCAA committee seeded Hopkins 2nd and W&L 3rd. As evidence of common opponents, that season, W&L played and beat both Navy and UVA, both on the road, Hopkins lost to both teams, and both teams beat Princeton and Washington College. But, the lower seeding meant that W&L could not host Hopkins in Lexington, where the administration was preparing for upwards of 15,000 fans to descend on Lexington, if those 2 teams won their quarterfinals games, which they did, to see the Generals. Just the month before in Charlottesville against UVA, there was over 10,000 fans at Scott Stadium, most for W&L, to watch a 13-11 Generals win. To be fair, the last week of the season, Hopkins did beat Number 1 MD but selection should be based on your entire season, not one week, which apparently is what that NCAA committee did and it was not fair at all.

valaxfan

PS: After the Hopkins game and the questionable non calls for crease violations, many started calling Homewood, Homer Field.
I mostly lurk on topics today although I was a fairly active poster on Laxpower. I saw this topic a couple of months ago and have been avoiding it because this game ( the first W&L game I ever saw) was so painful for both my father (an alum) and I (entering freshman that fall) that we drove back to Philadelphia in total silence. Getting back to Homewood in 75 helped assuage the pain. But the 2001 game at Hampden-Sydney when W&L was #1 brought it all back. One goal loss, no possible redemption in an ODAC tournament, no Pool C bids that year meant no NCAA tournament. Crushing.
Didn't know you were a Philly guy Minkhoo. Love it. You Generals have had some doozies.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

minkhoo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:36 am

valaxfan

Didn't know you were a Philly guy Minkhoo. Love it. You Generals have had some doozies.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”