Yale 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Yale 2019

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Once you get past the hospital or so, say around 160th, W Manhattan is nice with Morningside Heights Cloisters and Inwood. Monkey bar is a decent place to warm up. I like going up there even though the trip sucks for FB games Columbia is so bad they give away free beer(s) with tickets and unlimited re-entry for $5. I’m taking within the last decade.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Mid-Lax wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:43 am ... Still, I would have preferred the game at a field and not a stadium (I too hate lax over football lines) and at the regular season champion location and not at a neutral disinterested venue...
Well, had the game been played at the regular season champion location, there would have been football lines and a track & field track surrounding the playing surface at Penn's Franklin Field. I can certainly appreciate the logic of the regular-season champ hosting. However, from my narrow personal perspective, I wouldn't have gone to Philly (would you have Mid-Lax?), NYC is perfect for me so I go to the games at Columbia U's facility.
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

Yale looked scary. A goalie who stands tall and cool when needed, a pole who is among the best around, spelled best or beast, either way, TD, two dodging playmakers, a Canadian finisher, and a handful of middies for either side of the field. Feel for whatever team has to travel to New Haven for round one.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

FannOLax. Yes I understand I contradicted myself the way it woikd have been this year and Franklin Field is so cavernous. I do prefer a lacrosse field but I also like going to venue of champ and having local student body engagement. Yes, I would have gone to Philly. Strangely, Schoellkopf is my favorite venue but it's more about the area especially the hikes around the finger lakes.
Lux et veritas
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Very very good team. Too bad their antics distract from a full appreciation of their play.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Two questions for Eli fans:

1) Are Tevlin and Gaudet doing okay (health, etc)? Just seemed off or less involved this game.

2) how is it that Gaudet with 38 goals didn't even get Ivy League honors (even honorable mention)? I wonder if this is bothering him. I think we need the chippie Gaudet back.

One other item: Renz' hit was inexcusable but I seriously think he momentarily lost his mind and composure (not characteristic).
Last edited by Mid-Lax on Sat May 04, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lux et veritas
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I have a friend who’s son is nominally in the team (done due to concussion problems) and he tells me the kid isn’t known (Renz) to be dirty. Gaudet, on the other hand, I
Understand has probably earned a few retribuional hits. Also understand there was a chip and some attitudes b that the AD laid down the law before the season.

Bottom line is it’s not worse than most Brown teams or teat when he’s being immature.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Ivy League is stacked with attack. I doubt coaches held anything against Gaudet (Teat was a unanimous selection despite some antics and a few subpar Ivy games.) I think Brandau has a better claim to All-Ivy than Gaudet, as does McCaleb on Brown neither of which were chosen. Sometimes there just aren’t enough spots to go around.
The late hit last night wasn’t pretty—but I haven’t associated dirty play with Yale in the past. Chirping yes, but generally clean. Every team has a guy who will occasionally go over the line doesn’t always reflect of the team culture.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

stupefied wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:56 pm Very very good team. Too bad their antics distract from a full appreciation of their play.
What’s this about?
calourie

Post by calourie »

Haven't reviewed the Renz play except in real time, and it appears to me the sequence of falling over and seeming to chop at or toward the head of the player Renz had put on the ground began with their legs getting tangled up. If the chop was intentional it was exceptionally unsportsmanlike (dirty) and deserving of suspension, if more of a result of legs getting tangled up and Renz falling over and appearing to try to chop the guy in the head when he was really trying to remain upright it's a different matter. I'll look at it more closely if/and or when I replay the game again.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

From the limited perspective of live play, Renz’s hit certainly looked blatant and inexcusable.

Chippy and aggressive is one thing, tortious is another.

I trust this will be reviewed and a suitable suspension issued if warranted.

This is sport (ritual war fare), not UFC.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

A very good game for Yale.

After the efforts of Ierlan, Starr, and the Morrill-to-Brandau Express, the "special teams" play cannot be overemphasized. Going into Friday's game, Yale was 71st in the country in man down defense at 50% (and that was after a good MDD day against Harvard). With 7 EMO attempts, one could have expected Cornell to score 3-4 goals -- they got 1. On the other side of the coin, Yale was 2 for 3 on EMO.

Given Yale's season long form on MDD, two games in a row with a great MDD performance is good news but I'd of course like to see fewer penalties going forward for Yale. That's a small criticism, given how well the Elis played overall, and I thought that most of the penalties I saw were in the course of bang-bang loose ball situations. (I too will have to re-watch the Renz hit -- he has never been known to be a headhunter but it was a dangerous hit and I'm glad his opponent was okay. I don't see him as a likely tortfeasor as some do but any dangerous hit to the head should be something that is looked at.) Lastly, as a defender back (and back and back) in the day I had an unfortunate tendency to "panic foul" on occasion with no malice aforethought, so I recognize that can happen.

Very happy that Yale gets a chance to advance to the ILT finals against an excellent Penn squad, while hoping that Cornell might squeak out a bid.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Went back and watched the play with #16 for Yale. I agreed with the ESPNU announcers it should have been multiple minutes. Not for the initial hit but for the stick action once Cornell's player was on the ground.
renault

Post by renault »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:05 pm Went back and watched the play with #16 for Yale. I agreed with the ESPNU announcers it should have been multiple minutes. Not for the initial hit but for the stick action once Cornell's player was on the ground.

It seems much more likely that he (Renz) thought the Cornell player still had the ball and missed a stick check than he took an out-of-nowhere shot to a downed player's head, no?

I'm watching the game now and was expecting something way more egregious than this judging by the comments in this thread. From where I stand a one minute penalty seems fine.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

renault wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:28 am
The Orfling wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:05 pm Went back and watched the play with #16 for Yale. I agreed with the ESPNU announcers it should have been multiple minutes. Not for the initial hit but for the stick action once Cornell's player was on the ground.

It seems much more likely that he (Renz) thought the Cornell player still had the ball and missed a stick check than he took an out-of-nowhere shot to a downed player's head, no?

I'm watching the game now and was expecting something way more egregious than this judging by the comments in this thread. From where I stand a one minute penalty seems fine.
It seemed to me as well, renault, that #16 might have thought the Cornell player had the ball. Also agree that the idea it was some extraordinary hit worthy of suspension or “tortious” is overblown. But as, effectively, a slash that impacted the head of a player on the ground I still could have seen more than one minute assessed.

To change the subject back to the game as a whole, looking back it strikes me 2 sequences were pivotal.

The first was TD’s goal before halftime. I remember the 2016 very close Yale-Brown game, in which the Brown face-off man Gural scored in similar fashion and it seemed to make the difference. You have to then start worrying not just about winning the clamp but about stopping a fast break. Those “just before halftime” goals are huge to setting a tone, as well. So great that TD is a legit scoring threat.

The second play was after Cornell’s 4-goal run. They had possession again, with maybe 6-7 minutes to play and all the momentum. Piatelli had a good look and Starr made the save. Chris Fake hustled after a long rebound and was cross-checked to draw a penalty. On the ensuing EMO possession Yale stayed aggressive and cranked in an outside shot 20 seconds into the penalty. Great to see the save, the ground ball hustle, and the mindset to keep attacking.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

renault wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:28 am

In the stadium, at the moment, I thought one minute was right, and that yes, the defender probably thought the Cornell man still had the ball. It happened quickly, no instant replays, the game continues. The refs and players have to focus on the next play, then the one after that; they don't get to watch various slow-motion replays from different angles.
calourie

Post by calourie »

[quote="The Orfling"

To change the subject back to the game as a whole, looking back it strikes me 2 sequences were pivotal.

The first was TD’s goal before halftime...

The second play was after Cornell’s 4-goal run. They had possession again, with maybe 6-7 minutes to play and all the momentum. Piatelli had a good look and Starr made the save. Chris Fake hustled after a long rebound and was cross-checked to draw a penalty. On the ensuing EMO possession Yale stayed aggressive and cranked in an outside shot 20 seconds into the penalty. Great to see the save, the ground ball hustle, and the mindset to keep attacking.
[/quote]

Having TD at FOGO and a 2 or 3 goal lead it would feel to me overly conservative not to aggresively go for late game, rally killing EMO goal no matter who we are playing.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Penn up 8-6 at the half, outhustling the Bulldogs, and Gallagher up one in FOs against TD. Bulldogs D a bit out of sync, but Penn i s really big and good.
Win or lose this is going to be a worthwhile experience.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

calourie wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:04 pmGallagher up one in FOs against TD
Impressive.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Good effort by the Bulldogs. Came up a goal short against a big, talented Penn team for the second time this year. Still some work to do. Slides were a bit discombobulated, particularly early on and offense against a zone could use some tweaking ( or perhaps some twerking at this late date in the season). Took a while for the Dogs to get up to speed effort wise which is a rarity. As I mentioned in the Ivy thread Gallagher looks like he might just be TD's kryptonite. Hope TD and the rest of the team get another shot at the Quakers, but also hopefully not until the FF if both can get that far. Anyway this team has shown it can play with any team in the country, and are still defending champions., so suck it up, move on and keep trying to get better.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”