MOUNT ST MARYS 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: MOUNT ST MARYS 2023

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:33 pm
FMUBart wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:48 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:01 am
FMUBart wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am Other than being a HC, I just don't see the allure of MSM. Again, unless someone is simply looking to be a HC. Doubt MSM(insert several other schools here, Hobart, for one) would be seen as a launch-pad to a better job..
Well Brecht aside, the MAAC is a little different for coaches than most other conferences m, especially the A10. If someone took Bart on a 2-4yr run of winning the A10 they'd suddenly be in the discussion for other gigs. Wray is the same though he hasn’t seriously entertained moving to my knowledge. That’s an element that makes it tough. Just don’t have that much movement up from MAAC by HCs.

A10 by comparison will be interesting as I’d guess three jobs turn in the next five years for a variety of reasons-cannella retiring, Chemotti getting a ACC/BigTen/Top IVY gig, Mearns getting old and between Wray, Torpey and Raymond one probably does something in next five years. So who comes into that league will tell a lot.
Funny, Brecht was the one guy that I was thinking about who was able to "launch" to a better HC job from the MAAC. There may be others? Not sure
Canisius to St Bonnies qualifies, but others may disagree.
Nelson from Marist to Binghamton? That didn’t go well though.
Nelson already had a pedigree/name...but his flameouts are notable, too!
Qckstk

Post by Qckstk »

Given adequate support from their school, good coaches will tend to do well regardless of school or conference. Schools looking for new coaches tend to be drawn to assistants at big name programs. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. RU took a chance on Brecht that most AD’s would not and it worked out. Same with McMinn. There are good coaches in the MAAC who would do very well in bigger conferences (and I know of at least one who turned down the HC spot in a major conference fairly recently). Conversely, we have seen a number of assistants at big name programs flame out when given a HC opportunity. Coaching in the ACC or Big doesn’t make you a good coach, nor does coaching in the MAAC mean you are not good. It will be tough for Gravante’s replacement to do better than Gravante did at Mount.

Post by 1766 »

Qckstk wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:58 pm Given adequate support from their school, good coaches will tend to do well regardless of school or conference. Schools looking for new coaches tend to be drawn to assistants at big name programs. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. RU took a chance on Brecht that most AD’s would not and it worked out. Same with McMinn. There are good coaches in the MAAC who would do very well in bigger conferences (and I know of at least one who turned down the HC spot in a major conference fairly recently). Conversely, we have seen a number of assistants at big name programs flame out when given a HC opportunity. Coaching in the ACC or Big doesn’t make you a good coach, nor does coaching in the MAAC mean you are not good. It will be tough for Gravante’s replacement to do better than Gravante did at Mount.
Not certain if it was clear but Coach Brecht was the head coach at Sienna prior to going to Rutgers. If I were an AD, I would be reluctant to hire a coach that didn't have a head gig, even at a lower level. So much of coaching now is off the field, regulations, roster construction, managing assistants, alumni relations, etc. Not to say there aren't very capable assistants, but personally speaking, I would want someone who had already done it. It's more management than coaching now.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Qckstk wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:58 pm Given adequate support from their school, good coaches will tend to do well regardless of school or conference. Schools looking for new coaches tend to be drawn to assistants at big name programs. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. RU took a chance on Brecht that most AD’s would not and it worked out. Same with McMinn. There are good coaches in the MAAC who would do very well in bigger conferences (and I know of at least one who turned down the HC spot in a major conference fairly recently). Conversely, we have seen a number of assistants at big name programs flame out when given a HC opportunity. Coaching in the ACC or Big doesn’t make you a good coach, nor does coaching in the MAAC mean you are not good. It will be tough for Gravante’s replacement to do better than Gravante did at Mount.
The point was many who have their eyes on a bigger prize wouldn’t see a MAAC gig as that but rather more binary career job or non HC in D1. There’s 30yrs of history of that.

McMinn was at RoMo so different conference and he went to a unknown 4yr old program.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
cooperstef

Post by cooperstef »

Jake Giarrano formally of Muhlenberg had an interview recently. A little outside the box but he would be an interesting hire. MSM leaving no stone unturned.
FaceDodge

Post by FaceDodge »

If by outside the box you mean hasn't coached college lacrosse in 5 or 6 years haha yes, then it's "a little outside the box".

The applicant pool is probably more of a reflection of the school's lack of commitment and the manner it pushed a loyal employee of 31 years out the door for no good reason.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per IL

Breaking: @Mount_MLAX has hired longtime Mercyhurst head coach Chris Ryan to take over the program, multiple sources tell @Inside_Lacrosse. Ryan took @hurstmlaxtrain to the DII Final Four nine times, won a title in 2011 and made it to the national championship game this year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:40 pm Per IL

Breaking: @Mount_MLAX has hired longtime Mercyhurst head coach Chris Ryan to take over the program, multiple sources tell @Inside_Lacrosse. Ryan took @hurstmlaxtrain to the DII Final Four nine times, won a title in 2011 and made it to the national championship game this year.
Hopefully he does bette than TW Johnson did in Geneva coming from Limestone where he won a D2 title.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

college crosse had it first....not that it matters or anything
118:24 #HHH
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

cuseman4133 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:47 pm

college crosse had it first....not that it matters or anything
They could have but IL tweet was the first I saw
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mercyhurst, one of a very few Pennsylvania schools to win a lacrosse National Title,
13 NCAAs since starting up the varsity program in 1997,
Ryan has coached most of that time and has 298 wins,
initially Mercyhurst played DI teams, UVA, OSU, Drexel, St Joe’s,
5 DII Final Fours,
4 DII Finals,
1 DII National Title.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:11 pm

Mercyhurst, one of a very few Pennsylvania schools to win a lacrosse National Title,
13 NCAAs since starting up the varsity program in 1997,
Ryan has coached most of that time and has 298 wins,
initially Mercyhurst played DI teams, UVA, OSU, Drexel, St Joe’s,
5 DII Final Fours,
4 DII Finals,
1 DII National Title.
Sounds like a good hire. Congratulations to MSM. Best wishes to Coach Ryan.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Sounds like Ryan is bringing his staff with him to the Mount! Coach O’Hagan 3 year starter and 1st All MAAC at canisius great Coach and addition for CR to help with the transition!
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

I was really hoping that MSM would have hired Simon Conor from Nova, b/c apparently his name gets brought up every off season , with his high motion offense & 16 years of experience at Nova, time for a change of scenery, other programs just don’t realize what they are missing out on with not hiring Simon
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Looks like the former MSM HC is heading to Bucknell as a assistant
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Turnandrake wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:21 am Looks like the former MSM HC is heading to Bucknell as a assistant
That's great news! Coach G has a lot to offer and will thrive with Fed!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I know this is water under the bridge, and I wish Coach Ryan the best. But was the last straw for Gravante the Mount's late-season collapse this year?
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Ryan Reynolds, '24 Defender from John Carroll/Westtown heading to Mount St. Mary's.

Big kid.

:shock:
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”