York College

D3 Womens Lacrosse
Laxaddict1

York College

Post by Laxaddict1 »

Does anyone know how good York College will be this year? I know last year they made the tourney but lost early.
Dr. Tact

Re: York College

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxaddict1 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:10 pm Does anyone know how good York College will be this year? I know last year they made the tourney but lost early.
Personally, I hope they are very good. They faced one of the toughest OOC schedules last year. They graduated a few good players, so we will see how the younger players step up.

I think they will compete with F&M, Gettysburg, W&L, Salisbury...Middlebury was too much for them last year, not sure to expect anything different this year. They should win the MAC Commonwealth again.
Laxaddict1

Post by Laxaddict1 »

Fully agree- they should be back and be unstoppable again. They should be able to make it back to the championship probably against Messiah. Stevenson looks good, but they lost a lot of talent last year with #2 Caroline Murphy graduating. Time will tell!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Went to see York, Susqwehana and Kutztown play scrimmages at York. York won 2, KU won 1
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Saw another scrimmage at York today. York needs to schedule better teams...it will be eye opening when they hit the meat of their schedule.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

York College vs F&M got the highlight treatment from ECD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ife00UA0rm8
lovelax

Post by lovelax »

I think if these teams played today York would win. York improving while F&M kind of plateaued. Their game with Gettysburg was not competitive.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Is F&M dealing with some injuries?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

lovelax wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:38 am I think if these teams played today York would win. York improving while F&M kind of plateaued. Their game with Gettysburg was not competitive.
It depends on which team for York would show up. The team that got blown out by Gettysburg or the team that beat W&L...
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Does anyone have an opinion on why York College is so good? I understand why Gettysburg & F&M would be good their tuition is very high (on par with Harvard, Bucknell rates etc...) so I imagine they have a lot of $ to put into sports. Gettysburg can also recruit on good academics and there close to the Balitmore county hotbed. I wonder why York College is so competitive, I guess the main thing is they are even closer to the Baltimore area and the tuition is very reasonable so they probably get a lot of MD kids. Of course lax is getting very popular in southern PA as well.

Any thoughts?
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

Low tuition costs, location is convenient off 83, and coaching is solid.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

WLaxdad wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:53 pm Does anyone have an opinion on why York College is so good? I understand why Gettysburg & F&M would be good their tuition is very high (on par with Harvard, Bucknell rates etc...) so I imagine they have a lot of $ to put into sports. Gettysburg can also recruit on good academics and there close to the Balitmore county hotbed. I wonder why York College is so competitive, I guess the main thing is they are even closer to the Baltimore area and the tuition is very reasonable so they probably get a lot of MD kids. Of course lax is getting very popular in southern PA as well.

Any thoughts?
They are one D3 school with good lacrosse that offers Engineering (I think Gettysburg does as well). For my D, that was the requirement. Lots of other Liberal Arts schools she could have picked, but that was her reasoning.

Coaching is very good, they seem to be a consistently top 10 team.

RE: MD...11 of 28.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Off top of my head, tufts definitely has engineering. TCNJ. Stevens. But probably not a ton.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:25 am
WLaxdad wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:53 pm Does anyone have an opinion on why York College is so good? I understand why Gettysburg & F&M would be good their tuition is very high (on par with Harvard, Bucknell rates etc...) so I imagine they have a lot of $ to put into sports. Gettysburg can also recruit on good academics and there close to the Balitmore county hotbed. I wonder why York College is so competitive, I guess the main thing is they are even closer to the Baltimore area and the tuition is very reasonable so they probably get a lot of MD kids. Of course lax is getting very popular in southern PA as well.

Any thoughts?
They are one D3 school with good lacrosse that offers Engineering (I think Gettysburg does as well). For my D, that was the requirement. Lots of other Liberal Arts schools she could have picked, but that was her reasoning.

Coaching is very good, they seem to be a consistently top 10 team.

RE: MD...11 of 28.
Very good point I hadn't thought of that. As an Eng. myself I think it's a huge accomplishment to play a competitive sport while completing an Eng degree. The time required for Engineering is an order of magnitude higher than a non-stem major.

I was shocked to see how few liberal arts schools don't offer engineering.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

WLaxdad wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:18 pm Very good point I hadn't thought of that. As an Eng. myself I think it's a huge accomplishment to play a competitive sport while completing an Eng degree. The time required for Engineering is an order of magnitude higher than a non-stem major.

I was a D1 athlete for 2 years as an engineering major - it was an amazing experience and I have no regrets but it was so challenging to juggle an engineering course load with the demands of college athletics. I decided my time on the team was over at the end of my sophomore year when the head coach sat down with me and two others (nursing majors, I think) to strongly suggest that we change majors due to upcoming academic demands in junior and senior year. Since I was on a full academic ride with only "book money" for an athletic scholarship, it was not a difficult decision.

There are a number of D3 schools offering engineering majors AND women's lacrosse, but only a few selective liberal arts colleges with that combination. Other than York I can only think of Trinity, Swarthmore, and Smith. Many SLACs have 3-2 or 3-1-1 engineering programs, but those don't usually appeal to kids who want to play college sports.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

NutmegCrunch wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:33 am
WLaxdad wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:18 pm Very good point I hadn't thought of that. As an Eng. myself I think it's a huge accomplishment to play a competitive sport while completing an Eng degree. The time required for Engineering is an order of magnitude higher than a non-stem major.

I was a D1 athlete for 2 years as an engineering major - it was an amazing experience and I have no regrets but it was so challenging to juggle an engineering course load with the demands of college athletics. I decided my time on the team was over at the end of my sophomore year when the head coach sat down with me and two others (nursing majors, I think) to strongly suggest that we change majors due to upcoming academic demands in junior and senior year. Since I was on a full academic ride with only "book money" for an athletic scholarship, it was not a difficult decision.

There are a number of D3 schools offering engineering majors AND women's lacrosse, but only a few selective liberal arts colleges with that combination. Other than York I can only think of Trinity, Swarthmore, and Smith. Many SLACs have 3-2 or 3-1-1 engineering programs, but those don't usually appeal to kids who want to play college sports.
I was an architecture major (super hard), decided in the 5th year to walk on to a D1 team at an ACC school. What it taught me was time management. I didnt have time to screw around and didnt have time for all-nighters anymore. Best year I had academically.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Watched the York vs Widener game, Widener was up early 2-0 I thought they might make a game of it but then York took over and it wasn't much of a game 16-4 at the end. Nice weather though....York not having the best year but still way ahead of most D3 schools.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

York was right there in several of its losses. As we all know, the difference between winning and losing can be really small. WS in OT, W&L was very close too.
lovelax

Post by lovelax »

York is always better than their record....a tough out come tournament time due to their tough OOC schedule.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

lovelax wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:08 pm York is always better than their record....a tough out come tournament time due to their tough OOC schedule.
York has had some tough breaks with injuries and sickness (not unique to them and not an excuse.) It has been a challenging year and they were not ready for the OOC competition this year. It will depend on their conference playoff results and therefore the seeding they may get for NCAAs.

I would say they are not in the top tier of Middlebury and Tufts, but they played F&M, Salisbury, William Smith, W&L, Stevens to tight losses. The Gettysburg game was not close...speed kills.

As a York follower, if they get one big win, they might be a surprise. ;)

Return to “D3 WOMENS LACROSSE”