Best player in your schools history

D1 Mens Lacrosse
b1w7o9y7h

Re: Best player in your schools history

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Dartmouth might be Robert Merriam (Bobby) Class of 1948 (with an interruption after Freshman year for WWII naval service. Three time (HM, 2nd Team, and 1st Team) All-American for Big Green lacrosse.

Also an All-American in SOCCER in 1948. And on the top offensive line in HOCKEY where senior year the Big Green went 20-2. Also the only Dartmouth athlete to be a four-year, three-letter earner in Dartmouth history (Freshman not allowed on varsity back then). Ridiculous.

Was a great guy as my dad knew him well, and we'd stay at his home in rural Western MA for Deerfield reunions. He played the ornery reserved crotchety New Englander very well, but was a big teddy bear at heart. Stood all of 5-7 maybe. But even in his 80's his calves were like oak trunks. He had me hold a ladder when he was pruning a tree once so I got a good look! He kept dropping the clippings straight down on me. We had a hoot. My calves blushed in embarrassment...

Passed away in 2014.
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

UVA debate will be a good one...

Army I think can go to Brendan Nichtern

- 3x All American
- Tewarraton Finalist as a senior
- Career leader in points/assists, single season record holder in points/assists as well
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Brown's Darren Lowe & Dylan Molloy have the most props. I never saw Lowe play. There are also some guys besides Lowe from the Starsia years. Any nominees? Or from Stevenson's years as coach?
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Actually Stan Cockerton playing for NC State (yes, NC St had a program) in the late 70's was the first Canadien player with a major impact.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Blue Jay Attackman( excuse me , Attacker ) :
Billy Morrill whose 1959 record of goals per game over the season still stands , I believe. Fifty goals in twelve games.

Goalie : Larry Quinn.

Defenseman( excuse me again , Defender ) : Petro.

Midfielder : Delverne Dressell .
bar_down

Post by bar_down »

mdk01 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:26 pm Actually Stan Cockerton playing for NC State (yes, NC St had a program) in the late 70's was the first Canadien player with a major impact.

Stan was a great player but the best player ever to play at NC State was Tim Nelson.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

camskidamski wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:00 pm UVA debate will be a good one...

- 3x All American
- Career leader in points/assists, single season record holder in points/assists as well
Cross generational is hard but I still think you can make a strong case for Tim Pearson and John Walker.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:48 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:57 pm Bart-Rick Gilbert

https://hwsathletics.com/hof.aspx?hof=60
Goalie - Rick Blick
Both are just legends to me so basing it on who guys told me about more but I’m sure either works
See Martin, Malcolm
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Agreed...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

bar_down wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:33 pm
mdk01 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:26 pm Actually Stan Cockerton playing for NC State (yes, NC St had a program) in the late 70's was the first Canadien player with a major impact.

Stan was a great player but the best player ever to play at NC State was Tim Nelson.
I would have to disagree. Small difference in time but i am going with Mike French w Dave Huntley a bit later
molo

Post by molo »

Especially since my choice is still playing, but unless injuries derail him, Shellenberger, who has been first team AA at two positions already and who is on pace to be named first team—on at least one list—four times, should complete his career as UVA’s GOAT.
molo

Post by molo »

Since I’ve seen Hopkins play more than any other team, I’ll take a stab at their best players at each position. I am considering only players that I have seen. No disrespect to the elder statesman, but I’m confining my picks to those who played in the time period during which I’ve followed college lax, basically from 1960 until now.
GOALIE
Larry Quinn. My bias against sitting underclassmen is reflected in my choice of this two year stater.
DEFENSE
Dave Piertromala. There have been many excellent Hopkins defensemen, but the big lefty, who could bump up to pole if needed, is the best American defenseman I’ve ever seen.
MIDFIELD
Paul Rabil. The four time AA, three times first team, was primarily an o middie who took his share of wings.
My second choice, Kyle Harrison, was superb but Rabil was the team’s best player for three years.
ATTACK
Jack Thomas, whom I didn’t see as much as my second pick, Mike O’Neil, because I lived in Charlottesville for part of his career at Hopkins.
LSM
Steve Mitchell. I wasn’t going to add special positions, but Steve effectively created the position. Before him, most teams used their fourth and fifth defensemen at pole. Mitchell, with his gb play off face-off wings, his creativity in transition, and his ability to cover the opponent’s best middie, set the standard for the position.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:25 pm

Goalie - Rick Blick
Both are just legends to me so basing it on who guys told me about more but I’m sure either works
I mentioned this before,
but in the old LaxPower days, Rick Gilbert joined in on a discussion of old timie Hobart lacrosse.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

molo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:09 pm Since I’ve seen Hopkins play more than any other team, I’ll take a stab at their best players at each position. I am considering only players that I have seen. No disrespect to the elder statesman, but I’m confining my picks to those who played in the time period during which I’ve followed college lax, basically from 1960 until now.
GOALIE
Larry Quinn. My bias against sitting underclassmen is reflected in my choice of this two year stater.
DEFENSE
Dave Piertromala. There have been many excellent Hopkins defensemen, but the big lefty, who could bump up to pole if needed, is the best American defenseman I’ve ever seen.
MIDFIELD
Paul Rabil. The four time AA, three times first team, was primarily an o middie who took his share of wings.
My second choice, Kyle Harrison, was superb but Rabil was the team’s best player for three years.
ATTACK
Jack Thomas, whom I didn’t see as much as my second pick, Mike O’Neil, because I lived in Charlottesville for part of his career at Hopkins.
LSM
Steve Mitchell. I wasn’t going to add special positions, but Steve effectively created the position. Before him, most teams used their fourth and fifth defensemen at pole. Mitchell, with his gb play off face-off wings, his creativity in transition, and his ability to cover the opponent’s best middie, set the standard for the position.
^5. Moving Petro to middie was briefly considered but he was too valuable ar D. What a loss that would have been
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:26 pm Brown's Darren Lowe & Dylan Molloy have the most props. I never saw Lowe play. There are also some guys besides Lowe from the Starsia years. Any nominees? Or from Stevenson's years as coach?
Andy T?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:25 pm

Goalie - Rick Blick
I mentioned this before,
but in the old LaxPower days, Rick Gilbert joined in on a discussion of old timie Hobart lacrosse.
Kevin Martin used to be around but not in a while.
See Martin, Malcolm
lorin

Post by lorin »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:23 pm

- 3x All American
Cross generational is hard but I still think you can make a strong case for Tim Pearson and John Walker.
Can’t go wrong with all 3
DMac

Post by DMac »

molo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:09 pm DEFENSE
I never saw another defenseman who could contain Gary as much, and for how long, as Pietromala could.
Saw that matchup a couple of times including the '89 opener. I left that game shaking my head thinkin', man,
that D man for Hop is something else! The match up in the second meeting of the season wasn't any different,
Petro was something else again.

Interesting period:

'87, Cuse 15 - Hop 14, in the Dome.
Gaits not playing much in this one.
Newbies, hadn't proven themselves.
(Not really the case but...)

'88, Cuse 19 - Hop 7, at Homewood.
WTH happened there??

'89, Cuse 13 - Hop 14, at Homewood.
'89, Cuse 13 - Hop 12, at College Park.

3 out of 4 one goal games, Pietromala-Gait era.
molo

Post by molo »

Also, there has been a lot if discussion about how only attackmen and middies have won the T, but am I correct in thinking that Petro did win the Enners award, basically POY, in 89?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Indeed he did.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”