NCAA Tournament Results

D2 Mens Lacrosse
Leonard Washington

Re: NCAA Tournament Results

Post by Leonard Washington »

First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

LR leads Mercuhurst at halftime 14-1… I thought LR would win by a couple but was not expecting this.

Mercuhurst fogo/D2 player of the year being neutralized. 9 all Americans for Hurst, mainly on the defensive side. Everything’s working for LR, and they have some serious midfield depth.
Leonard Washington

Merrimack was up 13-1 against St. Leo at halftime a few years ago.

Back then we may have expected a non competitive game, but today, I don't think any of us thought it would be this lopsided
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Lenoir Rhyne University wins the 2023 DII National championship 20-5 vs Mercyhurst
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:14 pm Lenoir Rhyne University wins the 2023 DII National championship 20-5 vs Mercyhurst
Thought they would win having many players that played in the 2021 game, but not by that many!
Leonard Washington

GaitsRightHand wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:14 pm Lenoir Rhyne University wins the 2023 DII National championship 20-5 vs Mercyhurst
And it wasn't even that close.

Congrats to the Bears and Coach Paradine
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

First congrats to LR, I don’t think it would have mattered what Mercyhurst team showed up, LR was going to win by 4-5 goals.

Hurst flat-out looked exhausted playing in the National Championship. They made a ton of mistakes I had not seen them make all year. They had trouble just clearing the ball and LR didn’t even pressure them.

I was wondering if there was going to be a letdown by Mercyhurst after the Le Moyne game. Those 2 teams beat the crap out of each other for 4 quarters. Being in the stands, you could see how much that Le Moyne win meant to the Mercyhurst program. With 20-something years, 10 losses (most of them by 1 goal), and 2 National Championship 2nd places to the Dolphins, to finally beat them and ending their D2 reign must have been a feeling like no other.

Something was also clearly off with Doran in the playoffs. After dominating much of the year against some of the better guys in D2, he finished the NCAA playoffs at a pedestrian 55%. He looked hobbled vs. Le Moyne and could barely move vs. LR.

It will be interesting if Reece, Eccleston some of the LR seniors come back for their 5th year. LR is setting up to be the next D2 dynasty.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

D2fan wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:35 am First congrats to LR, I don’t think it would have mattered what Mercyhurst team showed up, LR was going to win by 4-5 goals.

Hurst flat-out looked exhausted playing in the National Championship. They made a ton of mistakes I had not seen them make all year. They had trouble just clearing the ball and LR didn’t even pressure them.

I was wondering if there was going to be a letdown by Mercyhurst after the Le Moyne game. Those 2 teams beat the crap out of each other for 4 quarters. Being in the stands, you could see how much that Le Moyne win meant to the Mercyhurst program. With 20-something years, 10 losses (most of them by 1 goal), and 2 National Championship 2nd places to the Dolphins, to finally beat them and ending their D2 reign must have been a feeling like no other.

Something was also clearly off with Doran in the playoffs. After dominating much of the year against some of the better guys in D2, he finished the NCAA playoffs at a pedestrian 55%. He looked hobbled vs. Le Moyne and could barely move vs. LR.

It will be interesting if Reece, Eccleston some of the LR seniors come back for their 5th year. LR is setting up to be the next D2 dynasty.
I felt the same way about Mercyhurst. They played their national championship level ball against Le Moyne and didn't have much left in the tank for LR. I posted on here about the top 3 scorers for hurst being quiet against Le Moyne. Looks like that repeated itself in the championship game.

LR was more skilled, athletic, and had a ton of more depth. The size difference was very apparent. Looked like LR had a bunch of D1 football players vs a varsity soccer team. Also, LR had by far the hardest route to the playoffs. First Tampa, then Rollins, then wingate, and then limestone... just to make it out of the south.

I think Le Moyne could've been out there and LR would still manage the win.
lilax

Post by lilax »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:26 pm
D2fan wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:35 am First congrats to LR, I don’t think it would have mattered what Mercyhurst team showed up, LR was going to win by 4-5 goals.

I felt the same way about Mercyhurst. They played their national championship level ball against Le Moyne and didn't have much left in the tank for LR. I posted on here about the top 3 scorers for hurst being quiet against Le Moyne. Looks like that repeated itself in the championship game.

LR was more skilled, athletic, and had a ton of more depth. The size difference was very apparent. Looked like LR had a bunch of D1 football players vs a varsity soccer team. Also, LR had by far the hardest route to the playoffs. First Tampa, then Rollins, then wingate, and then limestone... just to make it out of the south.

LR didn’t have to play Wingate in the playoffs. Tampa was a shell of themselves by the end of the season and Rollins had zero playoff experience. I think UIndy was the better team than Limestone, but Indy ran out of gas in the 4th quarter

LR did have to travel, but both sides of the bracket were tough. Going to Le Moyne was tougher than anything LR had to do in the playoffs and Saint Anslem was no slouch. Two 4th quarter come from behind wins seemed to take a toll on Hurst.

I saw Mercyhurst play 3 times prior to the championship. Vs. Wingate, Vs. Mercy and Le Moyne. They were unrecognizable in the championship.

Felt there were a lot of similarities between Mercyhurst and Tufts. 2 teams that were very strong 10 years ago and seem to be returning to that level. Both teams defeated foes that had their number (Le Moyne and RIT), but both didn’t show up under the big lights.

Without Le Moyne, the North could run through Erie, PA for a while.
Leonard Washington

lilax wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:48 pm Without Le Moyne, the North could run through Erie, PA for a while.
Adelphi is breathing a sigh of relief with Lemoyne gone. The Dolphins ended their season each of the past 3 years and they could never truly get over the hump, despite a ton of talent. With the Merrimack and Lemoyne thorns moved on to DI it seems the Panthers have a clearer path and will be at the top of the North followed by Seton Hill and (possibly) Mercy
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

lilax wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:48 pm LR didn’t have to play Wingate in the playoffs. Tampa was a shell of themselves by the end of the season and Rollins had zero playoff experience. I think UIndy was the better team than Limestone, but Indy ran out of gas in the 4th quarter

LR did have to travel, but both sides of the bracket were tough. Going to Le Moyne was tougher than anything LR had to do in the playoffs and Saint Anslem was no slouch. Two 4th quarter come from behind wins seemed to take a toll on Hurst.

I saw Mercyhurst play 3 times prior to the championship. Vs. Wingate, Vs. Mercy and Le Moyne. They were unrecognizable in the championship.

Felt there were a lot of similarities between Mercyhurst and Tufts. 2 teams that were very strong 10 years ago and seem to be returning to that level. Both teams defeated foes that had their number (Le Moyne and RIT), but both didn’t show up under the big lights.

Oops, my mistake. Got them confused with Uindy. LR played Tampa (#4/11 in country), Rollins (#1/2 in country), and then Limestone (#2/4 in country). Thats two top 5 schools in the country, and one top 15. Mercyhurst had to beat (#1/1 in country) Le Moyne and (#6/15 in country) St. A's. I don't think you can really knock LR's route or say it's easier, they played one extra game (vs a #11 Tampa team that would beat most of the top ten in the country). Then had to beat two top 5 teams. Hurst played #1 and #15... How did LR have an easier route? Just because they were tigher games, doesn't mean Mercyhurst had tougher opponents...

Mercyhurst had a good regular season and great post season knocking off Le Moyne. Showing up flat to the championship will not win you anything. No excuses either, I dont care how well you played against Wingate in March. This is D2 where you get a week to recover and prepare, they weren't ready.

Agreed. The North < The South. The North is screwed with Le Moyne leaving. They need Uindy to join the North to restore balance up there or else Adelphi will run with it.
HoundsDad

Post by HoundsDad »

Interesting discussion. I wished common sense could prevail for some of these travels during the tournament. UIndy traveled to Wingate for the first round of the tourney. UIndy played for only the second time in a game over 70 degrees all year. Then half the team was scheduled to fly back to Indy on Wed night after the game and the other half on Thursday. American Airlines cancels the flight and half of the team in the airport sleeps in Charlotte Airport, They all return to Indy on Thursday and then have to board a bus (because it is 565 miles) on Friday to return to Gaffney. Why couldn't they stay in that area and rest? Who makes that decision?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

HoundsDad wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:29 am Interesting discussion. I wished common sense could prevail for some of these travels during the tournament. UIndy traveled to Wingate for the first round of the tourney. UIndy played for only the second time in a game over 70 degrees all year. Then half the team was scheduled to fly back to Indy on Wed night after the game and the other half on Thursday. American Airlines cancels the flight and half of the team in the airport sleeps in Charlotte Airport, They all return to Indy on Thursday and then have to board a bus (because it is 565 miles) on Friday to return to Gaffney. Why couldn't they stay in that area and rest? Who makes that decision?
Pretty sure that's on the AD.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

lilax wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:48 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:26 pm

LR didn’t have to play Wingate in the playoffs. Tampa was a shell of themselves by the end of the season and Rollins had zero playoff experience. I think UIndy was the better team than Limestone, but Indy ran out of gas in the 4th quarter

Think Uindy ran out of gas in the 2nd Quarter when they were up 6-1. Going to Lemoyne was tough but LR had it tougher going through Tampa, Rollins, Limestone on the road. Limestone was arguably the hottest team with their run at the end of the year.
Will be tough with no Lemoyne but I see Adelphi as the team in the North now.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

HoundsDad wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:29 am Interesting discussion. I wished common sense could prevail for some of these travels during the tournament. UIndy traveled to Wingate for the first round of the tourney. UIndy played for only the second time in a game over 70 degrees all year. Then half the team was scheduled to fly back to Indy on Wed night after the game and the other half on Thursday. American Airlines cancels the flight and half of the team in the airport sleeps in Charlotte Airport, They all return to Indy on Thursday and then have to board a bus (because it is 565 miles) on Friday to return to Gaffney. Why couldn't they stay in that area and rest? Who makes that decision?
Didn't know that Hounds dad...that is some rough travel!
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Without Le Moyne, the North is in flux.
1. Mercyhurst
2. Adelphi
3. Seton Hill
4. Mercy
5. Saint Anselm
6. Bentley
7. Pace
8. Frostburg
  • From a Rochester perspective, Hurst had been out recruiting Le Moyne in WNY and CNY for the last 2 years. That is a first and I expect their surge to continue. It seems like Ryan has the team heading back to their early 2010 form. Will be interesting to see if Doran returns for his COVID year.
  • Adelphi- They graduate Duchnowski and a host of other 5th years. The Bentley losses were head-scratchers. Renner is back, and I am sure they will land some LI transfers.
  • Seton Hill- Graduate 2 players. I expect them to be right in the thick of it and the most improved team in 2024. They were mostly sophomores and freshmen this past year and were competitive with everyone they played.
  • Saint Anselm seems to have something growing there. Nobody seems to know much about them, but they’ve quietly had 3 straight 10-win seasons. They graduate a couple of guys, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see them win the NE-10.
  • Bentley came out of nowhere and beat Adelphi twice this year. They have always struck me as a team who should be better because of their academic reputation and location. Maybe the school is finally starting to support the program.
  • I am very interested to see what Mercy brings back. They already have a BU transfer coming in.
  • Pace will… well they’ll be Pace. A middling team who will stay ranked in the 12-15 range most of the year.
  • Frostburg beat Tampa but then seemed to get exposed later in the year. I think they are graduating a lot.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”