Virginia 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
UVAlaxfan

Re: Virginia 2023

Post by UVAlaxfan »

blue angels wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:55 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:16 pm Is Terenzi taking a red shirt? Hell of player IMHO.
Yep along with Morris the goalie, Ryan Colsey-attack/midfield & Schroter-D pole. Of course, that could change in the event of injuries. FWIW, Quint commented during the broadcast that Lars would consider only redshirting his most promising players to get a 5th year. Looking at our Grad student, 4th year heavy roster, there will be plenty of playing time for really good players next year.
I think Lars was making a joke about redshirting shellenberger, something about you have to be really good for UVA to want you around for five years.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:31 pm
blue angels wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:55 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:16 pm Is Terenzi taking a red shirt? Hell of player IMHO.
Yep along with Morris the goalie, Ryan Colsey-attack/midfield & Schroter-D pole. Of course, that could change in the event of injuries. FWIW, Quint commented during the broadcast that Lars would consider only redshirting his most promising players to get a 5th year. Looking at our Grad student, 4th year heavy roster, there will be plenty of playing time for really good players next year.
I think Lars was making a joke about redshirting shellenberger, something about you have to be really good for UVA to want you around for five years.
Certainly. The Lars joke was, "what was I thinking, redshirting Shellenberger his 1st year" We have an upperclassmen heavy roster this year and many run out of eligibility so get that he might not want to waste eligibility on very promising players competing for very limited minutes if he can get 4 full years out of them. Only 2 true 1st years have played in every game, Sunderland and Eldridge, and that was out of need. A couple more have played pretty limited reserve minutes in 4 or 5 games but don't appear to be in the regular rotation. Hopefully, everyone takes the long view and is happy. To date, everyone on the roster, except redshirts, has gotten significant playing time so far.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Gonna refresh this thread.

Miserable weather Friday. Chilly and rain/drizzle. But a big crowd anyway. And it left bewildered.

The game. About the only area Duke didn’t excel in Friday was FOGO. Even their transfer goalie from SLU had a really good game. O’Neill (sp?) is really good. Obviously. Just a smart heady player, huge physique, quick release. But the guy who opened eyes was this grad Leadmon; hard as heck shot.

I think Duke played as well as they could have. And won by 2.

For UVA: I feel like UVA is in that unenviable position of getting everyone’s best, except Corrigan’s :roll: .

That said, I think UVA has two issues, one fixable the other not so much.

1. The Wahoo defense. This defense gives up a ton of goals. I’m not sure there an easy fix there. Lars is stockpiling so many redshirt freshmen, you’d think he could find some capable units.

2. Tiffany has to scheme better to negate the defensive focus on Shellenberger. When Shellenberger goes quiet, I feel the UVA offense becomes scattershot; still effective, but there’s no flow, so folks start anticipating a loss.

Dickson has to be the most efficient shooter in NCAA history. You so rarely see this kid take a dumb shot. Just so heady.

I’m left with the imponderable: How the freak did Duke lose to Jacksonville?!?? Galloway is going to take Danowski’s job is my only answer. 😂

The ACC is really stacked this year. I truly feel ND, UVA, Duke, and NC are deserving of NCAA bids.
molo

Post by molo »

I hope coach and best player are listening to Chuck’s halftime comments.
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

Think this game put a dent in Shelly’s twton odds. O’Neill showed up big
molo

Post by molo »

No doubt about it. Once may be a coincidence. Twice looks like a pattern.
DocBarrister

Virginia Women’s Lax Sideline Celebrations

Post by DocBarrister »

Watching the Duke-UVA Women’s lax game.

The play on the field is impressive.

But the Virginia women’s sideline celebrations after goals?

Epic, humorous, and impressively choreographed. Loved the mock “execution” celebration.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:18 pm Think this game put a dent in Shelly’s twton odds. O’Neill showed up big
O’Neill certainly has made himself a top contender, but the award is announced in June so a lot of evaluation time left. Play in the NCAA tournament will be key to winning and The best player on the best team left standing Memorial Day will have a real advantage. If your team Gets bounced in the 1st 2 rounds, you will likely be out of the running, regardless of stats.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:52 pm Belichick at it again

https://twitter.com/dougkyed/status/165 ... _jxZLgpS5g
I heard from SE PA people this week that he had two camp offers, two NFL teams.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:20 pm
Gorilla Fan wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:52 pm Belichick at it again

https://twitter.com/dougkyed/status/165 ... _jxZLgpS5g
I heard from SE PA people this week that he had two camp offers, two NFL teams.
very workmanlike win yesterday and happy to get the 1st one and exam week out of the way. UR is very well coached, but just appeared out athleted. I wonder how much longer before Chemotti moves to a bigger program with more resources and Kirwan becomes a head guy somewhere?
Finster

Post by Finster »

Virginia isn’t my team but because of proximity, I see more of them than anyone these days.

I feel like they let it slip away yesterday. I was at that game versus Harvard with what seems years ago (March?), and I can’t recall the score at half, but it was an absolute blowout. I truly thought the Wahoos would go undefeated. So much talent all over the field but especially offense.

This loss has to hurt. I feel bad for them so I can only imagine how they feel. Before getting misty eyed at what could have been for the Hoos, I’m reminded that Lars has the top recruit on the next two years.

Great year for that team, just didn’t get the ring. ND played great. It happens. Nothing more to say.

You guys should start your ‘24 thread now; a lot to discuss.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Man, Lars is a class act. His postgame presser is impressive; appreciative of such a great game and atmosphere.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:30 pm Man, Lars is a class act. His postgame presser is impressive; appreciative of such a great game and atmosphere.
Check out his postgame from the 2016 semi loss on youtube: Jack Kelly looks like he wants to throttle Lars when Lars talks about what a great game it was.😂
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:33 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:30 pm Man, Lars is a class act. His postgame presser is impressive; appreciative of such a great game and atmosphere.
Check out his postgame from the 2016 semi loss on youtube: Jack Kelly looks like he wants to throttle Lars when Lars talks about what a great game it was.😂
Lars would find a way to praise someone that just robbed his home. "Man I really busted my installing that deadbolt, but this....I tell ya, he was a real pro and reverse engineered the locking mechanism, hats off to you sir." :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:41 pm
Lars would find a way to praise someone that just robbed his home. "Man I really busted my installing that deadbolt, but this....I tell ya, he was a real pro and reverse engineered the locking mechanism, hats off to you sir." :lol:
I think it’s something of a bit. A good schtick, based in reality, but a schtick. Take the Lars who is out on the field in the officials’ ears constantly and mix with postgame Tiffany and I think you get a more realistic (and still overall laudable) picture of one of the top 3 coaches in the game.

Another great season by UVA — congrats and best wishes to the group moving on to their next lax or life adventure. Tons of remaining talent with some major additions so I’m sure the ‘Hoos will make lots of noise in 2024.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:10 am
I think it’s something of a bit. A good schtick, based in reality, but a schtick. Take the Lars who is out on the field in the officials’ ears constantly and mix with postgame Tiffany and I think you get a more realistic (and still overall laudable) picture of one of the top 3 coaches in the game.

Another great season by UVA — congrats and best wishes to the group moving on to their next lax or life adventure. Tons of remaining talent with some major additions so I’m sure the ‘Hoos will make lots of noise in 2024.
Aren’t they losing just about everyone not named Schellenberger?
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

NYterp09 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:50 am

They should return Cormier, Schutz, Nunes, Sunderland, McIntosh, and Kaestner. I think Bower, Garno and Matsui have another year left. Highly ranked freshmen who redshirted include Terenzi, Colsey, Jones and Schroeter should be in play. And of course getting Shellenberger back is a big deal. Cavs should still be pretty darn good next year.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:08 am

They should return Cormier, Schutz, Nunes, Sunderland, McIntosh, and Kaestner. I think Bower, Garno and Matsui have another year left. Highly ranked freshmen who redshirted include Terenzi, Colsey, Jones and Schroeter should be in play. And of course getting Shellenberger back is a big deal. Cavs should still be pretty darn good next year.
Plus I assume they will mine the portal for a few key additions—eg maybe for FOGO depth with LaSalla leaving and Eldridge possibly transferring? Charlottesville and UVA are not a tough sell and I think Tiffany has shown excellent judgment in his portal additions in his time at UVA (eg, Bertrand, Zinn, McConvey, G. Kology).
Finster

Post by Finster »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:19 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:08 am

Plus I assume they will mine the portal for a few key additions—eg maybe for FOGO depth with LaSalla leaving and Eldridge possibly transferring? Charlottesville and UVA are not a tough sell and I think Tiffany has shown excellent judgment in his portal additions in his time at UVA (eg, Bertrand, Zinn, McConvey, G. Kology).

McCabe Millon….

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... o-virginia

I’m told by folks close to the program that he’ll see a ton of time as a freshman.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”