Pool B and Pool C

D3 Mens Lacrosse
overandback

Re: Pool B and Pool C

Post by overandback »

Disagree....and I'm no NESCAC-lover.
Unless committee just won't entertain notion of 5 teams from single conf, they belong in pool C mix until the chips fall.
Their 5 losses are to current #1, #7, #4, #5, #5.
Their NESCAC-fueled SOS is as good or better than current SOS of Lynchburg, St Law., W&L and arguably dickinson.
Too early to cross off them off.
laxxer27

Post by laxxer27 »

richard wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 am Bates???????

NESCAC bias for sure. There is no way in he double toothpicks they belong in the conversation.
No way bates gets in after Saturdays 23-9 beat down at Amherst. If they do its wrong. Put Williams in over them.
richard

Post by richard »

I don't care what your strength of schedule is, if you don't win some of those games all you have done is loose. That does not get you into the tournament. Especially when RIT, a loss, is the only decent ooc team that you have played.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

laxxer27 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:37 am
richard wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 am Bates???????

NESCAC bias for sure. There is no way in he double toothpicks they belong in the conversation.
No way bates gets in after Saturdays 23-9 beat down at Amherst. If they do its wrong. Put Williams in over them.
As Ithaca showed last year when they got crushed twice by RIT, including 23-3 in the LL conference finals... who you lose to and how badly you lose doesn't really matter. SOS and who you beat is what counts. How many wins they have against regionally ranked is far more important that the final score against Amherst.
richard

Post by richard »

Personally, if you look at Easterns schedule and their wins and losses there are similarities to Bates schedule. If they loose in their conference tournament do they have a chance at pool c? Not a shot.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

richard wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:01 pm I don't care what your strength of schedule is, if you don't win some of those games all you have done is loose. That does not get you into the tournament. Especially when RIT, a loss, is the only decent ooc team that you have played.
Exactly SOS helps if you win, you can’t go 0-3 against York, Denison , Gettysburg all by just one goal and point to your SOS and say you should be in due to strength of schedule. w&L had to take down one of those games on the road. With only 8 pool C’s they are going to need the AQ
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

NESAC will get 4 for sure....
Tufts, Williams, Amherst and Wesleyan...,
Outside shot at 5 team with Bates..., the league was incredibly competitive this year.
Richard ...what are smoking brother or you just Trolling?, comparing Eastern with Bates
richard

Post by richard »

Eastern losses- York, Gettysburg, Ursinus, Dickinson. All losses but good strength of schedule. at least they challenge themselves ooc.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

As much as I would like to see Bates continue their season, I don't see it happening. If they had one Saturday then the committee would have had a really fun time. But Amherst rolled over the Bobcats.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:45 pm
richard wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:01 pm I don't care what your strength of schedule is, if you don't win some of those games all you have done is loose. That does not get you into the tournament. Especially when RIT, a loss, is the only decent ooc team that you have played.
Exactly SOS helps if you win, you can’t go 0-3 against York, Denison , Gettysburg all by just one goal and point to your SOS and say you should be in due to strength of schedule. w&L had to take down one of those games on the road. With only 8 pool C’s they are going to need the AQ
I second this (or more correctly 3rd it) ... Bates has lost to Tufts, Williams and Amherst twice. And now the Wesleyan win has lost some luster after Wes lost to Middlebury. I'm sorry but just 1 win against the #4 team in your conference (I know Wes was the tourney 2 seed but they are not the second best team in the conference) doesn't qualify you for Pool C spot! That's the good and the bad of being in a strong conference - the good is you've had many chances to prove yourself in conference / the bad is you've had many chances to prove yourself in conference. If you haven't beaten at least one of those top teams in 4 tries - you're done! And this is where I disagree with the poster who said score doesn't matter - typically I would agree but when you get more than doubled up twice in 1 week, that's enough. It's not your year. In my opinion, Bates should be out of the conversation for Pool C.
Last edited by Nosey Ned on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

What’re everyone’s thoughts on the Centennial in terms of Pool Cs? I feel like the consensus is 1 but I think the most competitive and balanced conference in the South deserves at least 2.
tdaussie

Post by tdaussie »

I’ve thought all along that the Centennial would get 1 Pool C at best. And if it’s a GB v F&M final then both are definitely playing on. So I don’t think Ursinus or Dickinson will get Pool C if they lose in the semis. Those Haverford losses are deal breakers.

The tricky part will be if Ursinus or Dickinson get the AQ. I could be swayed into GB AND F&M getting Pool C offers.

Wednesday semi finals are going to be epic!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Nothing But Net wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm NESAC will get 4 for sure....
Tufts, Williams, Amherst and Wesleyan...,
Outside shot at 5 team with Bates..., the league was incredibly competitive this year.
Richard ...what are smoking brother or you just Trolling?, comparing Eastern with Bates
NBN you are saying Nescac will get 4 or 50% of the pool C’s ? Not happening. Season isn’t over yet, Nescac will eattheir young. 3 Pool C ‘s for the league
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

I agree that picking 4 NESCAC for pool c would be a stretch.
But...
If Middlebury were to win NESCAC tournament and be the AQ, would leave Tufts, Amherst, Williams and Wesleyan for pool c consideration. All top 10 teams. Wesleyan lowest ranked, but are you going to leave out a top 10, three loss, defending national champion?
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

If you give the regular season champion and the tournament champion an AQ that gives teams 2 bites at the apple. Although I am not sure of the number of AQ leagues, I would have to do the math to see if there was a scenario that would increase the total number of teams in the tournament. You base the number of pool C bids on the remaining number of tournament bids, the number of pool C bids might float from year to year. Let's be honest most years the stronger conferences all deserve at least 1 pool C bid and in a lot of years 2 or 3. I would imagine most teams would rather win their way in. If you think you are good enough to make the tournament and can't get an AQ maybe your not as good as you think you are. Just a thought. What am I missing?
GO BULLETS!
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

If Middlebury were to win NESCAC tournament and be the AQ, would leave Tufts, Amherst, Williams and Wesleyan for pool c consideration.
Thinking the Middlebury win be an epic upset considering they lost by 11 to Tufts. Think Wesleyan on bubble out, that quarterfinal loss to Middlebury hurts. As for Amherst and Williams the winner goes, the loser will have to see how the rest of conference tournaments shake out.

I think Dickinson could be a more likely upset in Centennial, ( just a hunch to many close game losses) if they take AQ then F&M and Ursinus out Gettysburg in.

Got to remember NCAA has screwy ideas about things like travel, always a little head scratching after Bracket announced.

Looks like Cabrini will lock up Pool B.
D-III

Post by D-III »

Wesleyan will be in the tournament. So will the Amherst/Williams loser.
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

Welcome back D-III. Just in time.

Does the ODAC get a Pool C?
overandback

Post by overandback »

I'm still stuck on/intrigued by Bates who are keeping Wesleyan company in the clubhouse and , despite lopsided loss to Amherst, are ranked #16.
I think there is a simple scenario that gives them a shot.
I could wait 20 hours, but no...

First, assume no upsets - highest seed in relevant tourneys prevail and get AQ.
So 6 of the 8 Pool C bids go to:

Salisbury
Amherst
Williams
Gettysburg
Wesleyan
Union (Refraining from making case that a loss to RPI tomorrow would drop them into group below, and free up a third Pool C bid.)

Lynchburg gets upset in ODAC semis.

Leaving committee to award the remaining pool C bids to two of these five squads...

Current #14 Ursinus - final record 11-4 with loss to F&M in Cent semis
Current #15 Dickinson - final record 11-6 with loss to Gburg in Cent semis 11-6
Current #16 Bates - final record 10-5
Current #18 St Law - Final record 13-4 with loss to RIT in LL semis
Current #20 Lynchburg - Final record 12-6 with loss to Roanoke in ODAC semis

I think Bates has a shot.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

I usually go to the NESCAC forum for my crack habit but I see the Bates crack is alive and well right here

Not going to happen... my beloved St. Lawrence has a better chance

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”