Attendance Numbers

D1 Mens Lacrosse
VeryRustyRed

Re: Attendance Numbers

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I've been attending lacrosse games at Schoellkopf Field for 50 years.
'Hard for me to believe there were only 2,600+ there on Sunday.
My guess is that number reflects "paid" attendance, but it still seems low to me.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

2023 Regular season ivy game attendance:

https://twitter.com/HarvardMLax/status/ ... 95842?s=20
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Again, my guess is that the Cornell attendance reported is paid attendance.
This would not include students, player family members, and perhaps/? faculty.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:58 am Again, my guess is that the Cornell attendance reported is paid attendance.
Factor in that Cornell played almost every home game in horrible cold, rainy, windy weather this season.

FYI - Faculty and students pay to attend games - at a discount
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Screen shot off ESPNU. The capacity of the Crescent is listed as 21,500. 2,600 would be 12% of capacity. To my uneducated eye, that looks closer to 25% than 12%.
Attachments
PastedGraphic-2.tiff
PastedGraphic-2.tiff (70.15 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

The attendance numbers are brutal, lacrosse is still a niche regional sport at best. I feel like the numbers peaked ten years ago and have been flat or falling ever since. 1,500 - 2,000 for a college D1 playoff game has to be at the bottom of the NCAA. I'd bet NCAA playoff games in baseball, softball, soccer, field hockey, ice hockey, wrestling, and gymnastics all do better.

I find it hard to understand, all we hear about is how fast the game is growing yet no one shows up to watch. Maybe the TV numbers are better? I was at Duke / Del Sunday and it was a nice little crowd, about what you get here in SE PA for every high school football game. It's a bummer.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Soccer and hockey do not do significantly better. The others I don't know.

People have other stuff to do now. Phones provide nonstop engagement.
ObxTerpFan

Post by ObxTerpFan »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:01 pm Soccer and hockey do not do significantly better. The others I don't know.

Just for kicks I looked up U of Maryland's soccer average attendance and it was a bit over 5,000 per regular season games
I'm not much for hockey but the top college teams look to be putting an average of 7,000 to 10,000 per regular season games
ggait

Post by ggait »

I find it hard to understand, all we hear about is how fast the game is growing
I've posted this before. "Fastest growing" means "currently, still quite small." There's a reason why lacrosse-only stadiums at colleges only seat 2k or so.

But to be fair, all college sports, except for football and mens hoops, are tiny in terms of in person attendance and TV ratings. Only minor isolated exceptions to that rule.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

ObxTerpFan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:43 pm Just for kicks I looked up U of Maryland's soccer average attendance and it was a bit over 5,000 per regular season games
Over what period? I checked the box scores of a few Terp home games from this past fall:

#13 OSU, Sept 25: 1729
Wisconsin, Oct 14, shown on ESPNU: 1654
B1G semifinal, Indiana, Nov 9: 2070
NCAA 1st round, F.Dickinson, Nov 17: 864

I watch a lot of college soccer and these numbers are much more in line with what I see.
gmen1986

Post by gmen1986 »

CU77 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:02 pm
ObxTerpFan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:43 pm Just for kicks I looked up U of Maryland's soccer average attendance and it was a bit over 5,000 per regular season games
Over what period? I checked the box scores of a few Terp home games from this past fall:

I watch a lot of college soccer and these numbers are much more in line with what I see.
average attendance for NCAA sports can be found on their stats website.. https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div.. Lacrosse does surprisingly well vs soccer and northern baseball teams on per game attendance... still ways to go though.

last weekends attendance let down can probably be attributed to weather. the rain probably scared the average fan off. I know for me, unless I have a kid playing, i will not sit through the rain when the game is on ESPNU. (only sport I'll do that for is football) It was raining in the DMV from noon til about 7pm.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gmen1986 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:10 pm
CU77 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:02 pm

average attendance for NCAA sports can be found on their stats website.. https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div.. Lacrosse does surprisingly well vs soccer and northern baseball teams on per game attendance... still ways to go though.

last weekends attendance let down can probably be attributed to weather. the rain probably scared the average fan off. I know for me, unless I have a kid playing, i will not sit through the rain when the game is on ESPNU. (only sport I'll do that for is football) It was raining in the DMV from noon til about 7pm.
Look at Lacrosse and Soccer....enrollment matters. Lacrosse is down 23% :shock:
Younger Age

HS Aged
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’ll still take lacrosse over volleyball 👍
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:35 am
faircornell wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:13 pm Any thoughts as to the split between UMich and Cornell fans at Schoellllkopf?

Great numbers...
Michigan had a modest yet enthusiastic reserved section. It was overwhelmingly red.
Thanks !
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:48 pm The attendance numbers are brutal, lacrosse is still a niche regional sport at best. I feel like the numbers peaked ten years ago and have been flat or falling ever since. 1,500 - 2,000 for a college D1 playoff game has to be at the bottom of the NCAA. I'd bet NCAA playoff games in baseball, softball, soccer, field hockey, ice hockey, wrestling, and gymnastics all do better.

I find it hard to understand, all we hear about is how fast the game is growing yet no one shows up to watch. Maybe the TV numbers are better? I was at Duke / Del Sunday and it was a nice little crowd, about what you get here in SE PA for every high school football game. It's a bummer.
This information is a year or two old, but men’s lacrosse is one of only five sports whose NCAA tournament actually turns a profit. The others being men’s ice hockey, baseball, wrestling, and of course men’s basketball, which basically funds the entire NCAA by itself.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

ObxTerpFan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:43 pm
CU77 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:01 pm Soccer and hockey do not do significantly better. The others I don't know.

Just for kicks I looked up U of Maryland's soccer average attendance and it was a bit over 5,000 per regular season games
I'm not much for hockey but the top college teams look to be putting an average of 7,000 to 10,000 per regular season games
Maryland soccer prob isn’t the best litmus test. Granted I graduated a while ago, but when I was there the men’s soccer team was extremely popular amongst students. I imagine most other schools soccer teams don’t have quite the same level of support from their student bodies.
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:51 am
VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:58 am Again, my guess is that the Cornell attendance reported is paid attendance.
Factor in that Cornell played almost every home game in horrible cold, rainy, windy weather this season.

Students are free for most athletic events, including lacrosse. Faculty and staff pay $6.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:43 am
Chousnake wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:51 am

Students are free for most athletic events, including lacrosse. Faculty and staff pay $6.
Students are not free for NCAA tournament games. Regular season games, yes. tournament games, no.
ObxTerpFan

Post by ObxTerpFan »

NYterp09 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:39 am
ObxTerpFan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:43 pm

Maryland soccer prob isn’t the best litmus test. Granted I graduated a while ago, but when I was there the men’s soccer team was extremely popular amongst students. I imagine most other schools soccer teams don’t have quite the same level of support from their student bodies.
The article I read, if I recall correctly, said Maryland soccer was #1 in attendance followed up by UCONN. I'll try and find the article and post the link.
Both soccer and lacrosse teams at Maryland are very successful but one draws a lot more fans then the other. I've watched a couple of Terp soccer games on tv and the students turn out and are loud.
Having said all that the numbers for ESPN must be decent or they would not show the games.
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

weather in the north feb thru mid apr has to have a big impact on attendance

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”