All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:09 am Ignore function works great. Honestly, no value comes from reading the rants.

Meanwhile

https://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-power/co ... etirements

Get back to us when you can find the UCS (union of concerned $cienti$t$) support of building NEW nuke power plants...........or , maybe it's just me that can't find the language. :roll:

. We also support continued research and development of nuclear power technologies that are safer, more secure, and lower cost.

from

https://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-power/nu ... al-warming

chalk flew up....you can NOT be serious
Are they for or against nuclear power? I thought everyone is against it? Did gremlins build those plants?

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:04 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:09 am Ignore function works great. Honestly, no value comes from reading the rants.

Meanwhile

Get back to us when you can find the UCS (union of concerned $cienti$t$) support of building NEW nuke power plants...........or , maybe it's just me that can't find the language. :roll:

. We also support continued research and development of nuclear power technologies that are safer, more secure, and lower cost.

from

Are they for or against nuclear power? I thought everyone is against it? Did gremlins build those plants?

Nuclear power as currently exists does meet low carbon standards - but at the price of potentially serious safety issues (like Chernobyl and Fukishima). This is because fission reactors (taking apart very heavy nuclei like Uranium or Plutonium) produce a _LOT_ of really bad radionuclides that if let loose on the environment can really mean disaster or just a whole lot of increase in the long term death rate because of increased cancer rates.

Nuclear fusion, which assembles heavier nuclei from lighter components, is what powers the Sun. Took a bit longer to use that technology to make weapons (1945 vs. circa 1952). Still working on converting the process to a viable commercial venture. Current best research involves the ITER - and it is years away from full operation. Current best estimates are a working commercial reactor by about 2050. Still basically a 30 year horizon - and since I was in college in the late 70s the estimate then was 40 years. I will believe it when I see it.

Safety is easier with fusion - and even though the components will be radioactive after years of operation, the time scale before the parts will be safe enough is on the order of a couple of hundred years - way lower than the fission byproducts.

But because of its long time horizon, that won't be very useful in keeping climate change from running out of control in the more immediate future.
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Meanwhile

from

Nuclear power as currently exists does meet low carbon standards - but at the price of potentially serious safety issues (like Chernobyl and Fukishima). This is because fission reactors (taking apart very heavy nuclei like Uranium or Plutonium) produce a _LOT_ of really bad radionuclides that if let loose on the environment can really mean disaster or just a whole lot of increase in the long term death rate because of increased cancer rates.

Nuclear fusion, which assembles heavier nuclei from lighter components, is what powers the Sun. Took a bit longer to use that technology to make weapons (1945 vs. circa 1952). Still working on converting the process to a viable commercial venture. Current best research involves the ITER - and it is years away from full operation. Current best estimates are a working commercial reactor by about 2050. Still basically a 30 year horizon - and since I was in college in the late 70s the estimate then was 40 years. I will believe it when I see it.

Safety is easier with fusion - and even though the components will be radioactive after years of operation, the time scale before the parts will be safe enough is on the order of a couple of hundred years - way lower than the fission byproducts.

But because of its long time horizon, that won't be very useful in keeping climate change from running out of control in the more immediate future.
Thanks. I remember taking a tour of a nuclear reactor facility on a college campus back when I was in high school.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:06 pm
Real solution to fake problem, got it.

How long would it take the closed down, 5 or 6 NUKE power plants, mostly due to "economics" that NG is "cheaper", (umm......WHO supports fracking/NG exctraction? Tom Steyer anyone???), to become online ready with safety revamps? A year? two? 6?

How soon is now?

It's Now or Never, now?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:53 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:40 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:03 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:36 pm http://www.drroyspencer.com/category/blogarticle/ Always good to read the good doctor talking common sense. So what satellite data do we believe :?: 72 hair has just caught fire and he had to throw his ice cold glass of pure mineral water over his head to put the fire out. I am sure after towel drying and fighting through the smell of singed hair he will give us all a reply. :D My apologies 72 for the sarcasm. My point is I read the article and what little I understand describes a very complex issue in how this satellite data is interpreted. Everytime I read some environmental extremist parrot the "settle science" line of bull turds It makes me realize yet again... the science is not settled . The Bronx Bimbo has already actuated the doomsday clock. I think we are down to 11 years and 9 months until planet earth explodes and destroys itself.

George Carlin you were so very spot on when you called out these environmental nitwits... "the planet will be fine... the people are f***ed" Mr Carlins words are proven here over and over day after day. :P My own sentiments are very straight forward. We can all be good stewards of the planet without having to have blind faith in all the bull turds being forced upon us. I am guessing many of you out there were born with common sense. Why don't you try using it? When someone... anyone spouts out a line of beef jerky like the planet only has 11 years and 9 months( running clock) It is real simple... tell them to STFU and go back to doing the job you were elected to do. Unless that job is suppose to be scaring the hell out of people. :mrgreen:
... another short chain. :lol:
I have more faith in anything the late George Carlin proclaimed about GW/CC than I ever will from the absent minded professor... :lol: 72... can you give us a more accurate reading on AOC's running clock? The last time I checked we are at 11 years... 9 months, 11 days... 14 hours and 29 minutes until the world self destructs. Can you verify for all of us if AOC's calculations are correct? Or is she like all you environmental extremists and just one more blithering idiot. Maybe AOC has a built in error factor of plus 1000 years. 72... when do we all need to kiss our ass goodbye? I gots to know... I have money riding on it. ;)
... all you have there is strawman :roll:
What I have is that the absent minded professor has no clue what planet earth is going to do... just like all the rest of us peons... :D Sucks don't it half pint that all of your far left wing snobbery makes you no more enlightened than the hobo on the corner begging for quarters. I think George Carlin was more in tune with the planet on his worst day than you will ever be on your very best... :lol: I am not trying to insult you 72. IMO you need to be introduced to a sense of humility The smartest people on the planet don't have all the answers. Just like the hobo on the street.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:14 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:36 pm http://www.drroyspencer.com/category/blogarticle/ Always good to read the good doctor talking common sense. So what satellite data do we believe :?: 72 hair has just caught fire and he had to throw his ice cold glass of pure mineral water over his head to put the fire out. I am sure after towel drying and fighting through the smell of singed hair he will give us all a reply. :D My apologies 72 for the sarcasm. My point is I read the article and what little I understand describes a very complex issue in how this satellite data is interpreted. Everytime I read some environmental extremist parrot the "settle science" line of bull turds It makes me realize yet again... the science is not settled . The Bronx Bimbo has already actuated the doomsday clock. I think we are down to 11 years and 9 months until planet earth explodes and destroys itself.

George Carlin you were so very spot on when you called out these environmental nitwits... "the planet will be fine... the people are f***ed" Mr Carlins words are proven here over and over day after day. :P My own sentiments are very straight forward. We can all be good stewards of the planet without having to have blind faith in all the bull turds being forced upon us. I am guessing many of you out there were born with common sense. Why don't you try using it? When someone... anyone spouts out a line of beef jerky like the planet only has 11 years and 9 months( running clock) It is real simple... tell them to STFU and go back to doing the job you were elected to do. Unless that job is suppose to be scaring the hell out of people. :mrgreen:
I have more faith in anything the late George Carlin proclaimed about GW/CC than I ever will from the absent minded professor... :lol: 72... can you give us a more accurate reading on AOC's running clock? The last time I checked we are at 11 years... 9 months, 11 days... 14 hours and 29 minutes until the world self destructs. Can you verify for all of us if AOC's calculations are correct? Or is she like all you environmental extremists and just one more blithering idiot. Maybe AOC has a built in error factor of plus 1000 years. 72... when do we all need to kiss our ass goodbye? I gots to know... I have money riding on it. ;)
What I have is that the absent minded professor has no clue what planet earth is going to do... just like all the rest of us peons... :D Sucks don't it half pint that all of your far left wing snobbery makes you no more enlightened than the hobo on the corner begging for quarters. I think George Carlin was more in tune with the planet on his worst day than you will ever be on your very best... :lol: I am not trying to insult you 72. IMO you need to be introduced to a sense of humility The smartest people on the planet don't have all the answers. Just like the hobo on the street.
.. I think you need to find a brain there scare crow. :lol: … you don't appear to have any of the answers
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:14 pm

Utterly complete ignorance.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Recent 60 Minutes segment on this

Russian Scientists Hope to Restore Ice Age Steppe with 'Pleistocene Park.' Will It Work?

More science for the deniers to lose their minds over.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
runrussellrun

YANG for President

Post by runrussellrun »

So much to like about this guy Yang

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/nuclear-energy/

Nuclear energy is a relatively low-impact option for generating electricity. While the mining and enrichment of uranium has environmental impacts, and the storing of nuclear waste isn’t easy, it is overall an efficient way to generate energy.

With modern safety standards, it’s also a safe way to generate electricity. The Nuclear Regulatory Committee standards require that a risk assessment shows there less than a one-in-a-million chance of any radioactivity to be released to the environment.

Nuclear isn’t a perfect solution, but it’s a solid solution for now, and a technology we should invest in as we move to a future powered primarily by renewable energy.

Cue the "I like him.....but he can't win" pretend rants :roll: (why can't he win? He's Asian? )
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

More fun for Climate Change Deniers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... ae97cda27d

"Over the weekend, the climate system sounded simultaneous alarms. Near the entrance to the Arctic Ocean in northwest Russia, the temperature surged to 84 degrees Fahrenheit (29 Celsius). Meanwhile, the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere eclipsed 415 parts per million for the first time in human history.

By themselves, these are just data points. But taken together with so many indicators of an altered atmosphere and rising temperatures, they blend into the unmistakable portrait of human-induced climate change.

Saturday’s steamy 84-degree reading was posted in Arkhangelsk, Russia, where the average high temperature is around 54 this time of year. The city of 350,000 people sits next to the White Sea, which feeds into the Arctic Ocean’s Barents Sea.

In Koynas, a rural area to the east of Arkhangelsk, it was even hotter on Sunday, soaring to 87 degrees (31 Celsius). Many locations in Russia, from the Kazakhstan border to the White Sea, set record-high temperatures over the weekend, some 30 to 40 degrees (around 20 Celsius) above average. The warmth also bled west into Finland, which hit 77 degrees (25 Celsius) Saturday, the country’s warmest temperature of the season so far.

In Greenland, for example, the ice sheet’s melt season began about a month early. In Alaska, several rivers saw winter ice break up on their earliest dates on record.

Across the Arctic overall, the extent of sea ice has hovered near a record low for weeks.

Data from the Japan Meteorological Agency show April was the second warmest on record for the entire planet.

These changes all have occurred against the backdrop of unremitting increases in carbon dioxide, which has now crossed another symbolic threshold."

But c'mon: this just means more beachfront property!!!
Typical Lax Dad

seacoaster wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:59 pm More fun for Climate Change Deniers:

"Over the weekend, the climate system sounded simultaneous alarms. Near the entrance to the Arctic Ocean in northwest Russia, the temperature surged to 84 degrees Fahrenheit (29 Celsius). Meanwhile, the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere eclipsed 415 parts per million for the first time in human history.

By themselves, these are just data points. But taken together with so many indicators of an altered atmosphere and rising temperatures, they blend into the unmistakable portrait of human-induced climate change.

Saturday’s steamy 84-degree reading was posted in Arkhangelsk, Russia, where the average high temperature is around 54 this time of year. The city of 350,000 people sits next to the White Sea, which feeds into the Arctic Ocean’s Barents Sea.

In Koynas, a rural area to the east of Arkhangelsk, it was even hotter on Sunday, soaring to 87 degrees (31 Celsius). Many locations in Russia, from the Kazakhstan border to the White Sea, set record-high temperatures over the weekend, some 30 to 40 degrees (around 20 Celsius) above average. The warmth also bled west into Finland, which hit 77 degrees (25 Celsius) Saturday, the country’s warmest temperature of the season so far.

In Greenland, for example, the ice sheet’s melt season began about a month early. In Alaska, several rivers saw winter ice break up on their earliest dates on record.

Across the Arctic overall, the extent of sea ice has hovered near a record low for weeks.

Data from the Japan Meteorological Agency show April was the second warmest on record for the entire planet.

These changes all have occurred against the backdrop of unremitting increases in carbon dioxide, which has now crossed another symbolic threshold."

This is done to trick people to not buy ocean front property while Bloomberg and Bezos buys it all up! If there is climate change, why is Bezos buying beach front property!!???
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:03 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:59 pm More fun for Climate Change Deniers:

This is done to trick people to not buy ocean front property while Bloomberg and Bezos buys it all up! If there is climate change, why is Bezos buying beach front property!!???
Exactly, TLD; it's a Globalist Elite Conspiracy to take all the good spots on the beach, and all the ripe avocados for guac.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/ ... c0d0331a38

I bet all these uber wealthy snobs partying the night away on the French Riviera on their mega yachts gushing carbon emissions into the air are probably the same snobs lecturing us all about CC/GW. I wonder if AOC has been invited aboard? :P I am guessing the usual suspects here will be quite aghast at the horrible display of destroying the planet being held on the French Riviera... tsk, tsk, tsk I can hear you all now. :roll:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:38 pm https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/ ... c0d0331a38

I bet all these uber wealthy snobs partying the night away on the French Riviera on their mega yachts gushing carbon emissions into the air are probably the same snobs lecturing us all about CC/GW. I wonder if AOC has been invited aboard? :P I am guessing the usual suspects here will be quite aghast at the horrible display of destroying the planet being held on the French Riviera... tsk, tsk, tsk I can hear you all now. :roll:
Nice boats, but I prefer a sail.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

A result from Exxon's (37 years ago) research people on the future expectations of CO_2 growth and global temperature increase...surprisingly accurate...
ezgif-3-5d4f945c2d84.jpg
ezgif-3-5d4f945c2d84.jpg (97.32 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 pm A result from Exxon's (37 years ago) research people on the future expectations of CO_2 growth and global temperature increase...surprisingly accurate...

ezgif-3-5d4f945c2d84.jpg
The planet is going to do what the planet is going to do! What do scientists know!
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:22 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 pm A result from Exxon's (37 years ago) research people on the future expectations of CO_2 growth and global temperature increase...surprisingly accurate...

ezgif-3-5d4f945c2d84.jpg
The planet is going to do what the planet is going to do! What do scientists know!
Scientists know facts...
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ezgif-3-5d4f945c2d84.jpg
Scientists don't know squat about what the planet will do. You are correct the planet will do what it wants to do. If you think think science or scientists can change that fact... go ahead and keep fooling yourself. After all according to AOC...we only have 11 and a half years left anyway. :P
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:04 am

ezgif-3-5d4f945c2d84.jpg
Scientists don't know squat about what the planet will do. You are correct the planet will do what it wants to do. If you think think science or scientists can change that fact... go ahead and keep fooling yourself. After all according to AOC...we only have 11 and a half years left anyway. :P
What if you're wrong? What if science and scientists have correctly used the available data to predict a global temperature rise of 4-6 degrees (as the obviously left wing crazy-Exxon researchers did), and what if that change results in significant social, economic, agricultural and other changes? Happily, you'll be dead. But what about your children's children? You seem to always, relentlessly associate a belief in climate change with a political agenda, and dismiss it in a faux-homespun manner that hardly hides your strange predilection for dismissing facts, trends and pretty obvious changes on the ground. You should keep these posts of yours in an archive somewhere, so that your grandchildren will be able to say, "Granddad was right about all that hooey"...or "Jesus, Granddad was a complete pumpkinhead."

Return to “POLITICS”