Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hail to the Victors

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Hail to the Victors »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:25 am On attendance, it's clear that attendance for live lacrosse games is down everywhere, so I don't think "diversity" is the reason. In fact, it smacks of something sour...even if not intended that way, worth examining.

That said, we know that winning regularly spurs attendance.
It becomes something kids look forward to doing together, and it attracts the local community.

Good weather at times convenient for a 'party' help a lot, but that's not really possible to even hope for until April. And "party" is not going to be the same as it was when the drinking age was 18, so gotta realize it just isn't the same.

However, other than winning, which is by far the biggest factor, colleges can go out of their way to create fun environments and to promote attendance. That's the only thing that might be open to critique.

"diversity" certainly isn't the issue.
Alternatives are what matter.
Winning can break through that clutter.
Yup. Diversity is sacred, and can never be associated with anything negative for anyone.
Slim

Post by Slim »

So good to see this program on the rise and back in the top 5. Say what you will about Milliman, he has put together an outstanding staff (all Blue Jays) and a solid plan.

This is not Benson's offense (as the MD coach said on national tv the other night), it is Crawley's, and he deserves ASST. Coach-of-the-Year, imo!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:53 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:25 am "diversity" certainly isn't the issue.
We'll have to agree to disagree which I usually don't do with your posts. I want to be very careful here because it treads on waters that can become dark and I do not wan that. But you can't convince me that with over half of the student body from cultures that are not as prepossessed to team sports participation and viewership as much the Unites States is - particulalrly white males - there is no difference in attitude towards lacrosse. It's not that they don't want the team to do well and they will probably attend a game or two or three over their four years but it is clearly not a focus like it was when lacrosse was the social center of the universe in the Spring. Yes there are other critical factors but the kid that is in the Biochem lab on Saturdays isn't there because the lacrosse team is losing - he's there because his culture and parents demand it.
Yes, I didn't think you were going to that dark water.

There are those who do.

My recollection of going to Hop games in my youth was that it was a party, a few frats pre-gamed, girls were out in force (mostly not Hopkins), and the youth community was there heavy along with many alums and simply lax fans. Yes, a pretty distinctly "white" group...of which there continue to be a heck of a lot on campus, albeit not as many proportionately.

I'd wager that back then most of those Hopkins students had never seen a lacrosse stick before coming to Baltimore or if they had, they hadn't picked one up since JV. Some...But I'd wager that more students arriving on campus today have at least seen a lacrosse stick than back then...sure, the overseas students (21%) might not, but lax is pretty ubiquitous across the country now.

Same for University of Maryland back then...I recall as a youngster sitting out on the concrete admiring the girls in bikinis...a party. Bigger school, though, and probably higher proportion of Maryland residents meant higher likelihood of being aware of lax.

That party atmosphere is not happening the same way for most college sports, except the big money sports. And not for football, even, at many.

I just don't see it as the "diversity" of the student body as much as it is the availability of so many alternative opportunities for entertainment. Not the biochem lab.

IMO
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:10 pm Yeah the issue for me is the comment came out of absolutely nowhere and was just flat out inappropriate. The Jays are 11-4, ranked #4 and no matter what happens in the B1G tournament they have likely already sewn up an NCAA home game so Quint has nothing. Can't say anything about blown clears or a lack of dodgers or no toughness on GBs. There may be another day for that, but it's not today. So he resorts to truly desperate jabs that have nothing to do with lacrosse. The Jays are good and he's just a liiiiitle bit mad about it.

We almost let OC get away with his "Daniels shows up for a PR campaign with photos" comment. This is a fantastically stupid thing to say for two different reasons. First, Daniels did not know the team was going to win and there'd be an opportunity for photos. He was at the game win or lose. That's a hell of a way to spend a rainy Saturday night as a university president. Praying the team pulls off the upset so he can take a photo with the team. Sounds awful. Second, let's assume for a second that it is solely just a PR photo op. So? Who gives a sh*t? Who do you think he's trying to impress? The nerds at the Applied Physics Lab? He wants the Hopkins lacrosse community to like him. Now, why might he do that? Could it be because he actually does care and wants the team to do well? If he didn't care, why the hell show up? Why make the effort? This is a classic example of taking a good thing — the president shows up to support the team in a big game — and spinning it into a bad thing to fit a warped agenda.

nyjay, on your point #2 — Melendez was highly rated coming out of Spalding. IL top 70 recruit and first-team MIAA. I have no idea how he ended up at Marquette, there's probably a story there. Clearly, Petro passed on him. In that Glenn Clark interview from the other day Melendez said it was always his dream to play at Homewood and he jumped at the chance to transfer. Sounds like his injury issues may have spooked some other teams away and he was grateful we took a chance on him. He's quickly turning into my favorite player on the team.

As for #4, no one is going to confuse us with 2016 Brown but we have the horses to get out and go in transition. The poles can all handle the ball and Melendez is so good as the point man in those situations. He sees the field really well.

Ah yes. The House flack doing flack kinds of things. Daniels and attending an away game was only natural fandom at work. Regardless of 14? years of evidence to the contrary and the previous president attending more games in one year.

Bunch of non sequiturs. A photo op showing support for the team does not require winning a game. Establishing an association with the team after so many years is goal enuff. It was not more than a couple of years ago the lax community was wondering if Daniels could find Homewood field on his own. You are what your record of 14 years says you are. Records can always be modified so welcome bsck to the war. Maybe it will be repeated. It would help the program.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Maybe, "the lax community" isn't what you say OCanada...maybe just part?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:19 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:30 pm https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... l-24-2023/
enough salt here to clean your highway in a january nor'easter
The wooden crab trophy makes it way back to Charm City, where it’ll be lucky not to be stolen, pawned, or covered with graffiti. 6,594 fans and 47,406 empty seats enjoyed
Back to the Jays. What best explains the turnaround on Homewood? I think it’s four things.

Chemistry / Culture
Coaching – All 4 Spots
Key Additions
Healthy Subtractions
What an absolute tool
Bo Pellini and Mark Dantonio both professional coaches told Quint what they thought of him live on the air. He’s an jerk. Always has been. Always will be.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:37 am
primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:19 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:30 pm https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... l-24-2023/
enough salt here to clean your highway in a january nor'easter
The wooden crab trophy makes it way back to Charm City, where it’ll be lucky not to be stolen, pawned, or covered with graffiti. 6,594 fans and 47,406 empty seats enjoyed
Back to the Jays. What best explains the turnaround on Homewood? I think it’s four things.

Chemistry / Culture
Coaching – All 4 Spots
Key Additions
Healthy Subtractions
What an absolute tool
Bo Pellini and Mark Dantonio both professional coaches told Quint what they thought of him live on the air. He’s an jerk. Always has been. Always will be.
they were great comments and anyone who has spent any time at homewood understands the safety issues. quint brings some honesty and attitude. I'm not going to rebury the departed kids and who knows if they would have been better in crawleys offense or if Daniels had let them practice but it's been very hard to find games this year where we said I wish we still had him.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:50 am they were great comments and anyone who has spent any time at homewood understands the safety issues.
That rules you out then. You haven't been on campus in 17 years.

Even if it was true, it was a random and pointless thing to mention in a top 20 lacrosse rankings column. Like, what's he hoping to achieve? Just some trolling to go along with his rudimentary lax analysis of games he admits he didn't watch because he was 1,500 miles away covering a spring football game? Mission accomplished I guess.
OCanada wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:17 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:10 pm Yeah the issue for me is the comment came out of absolutely nowhere and was just flat out inappropriate. The Jays are 11-4, ranked #4 and no matter what happens in the B1G tournament they have likely already sewn up an NCAA home game so Quint has nothing. Can't say anything about blown clears or a lack of dodgers or no toughness on GBs. There may be another day for that, but it's not today. So he resorts to truly desperate jabs that have nothing to do with lacrosse. The Jays are good and he's just a liiiiitle bit mad about it.

We almost let OC get away with his "Daniels shows up for a PR campaign with photos" comment. This is a fantastically stupid thing to say for two different reasons. First, Daniels did not know the team was going to win and there'd be an opportunity for photos. He was at the game win or lose. That's a hell of a way to spend a rainy Saturday night as a university president. Praying the team pulls off the upset so he can take a photo with the team. Sounds awful. Second, let's assume for a second that it is solely just a PR photo op. So? Who gives a sh*t? Who do you think he's trying to impress? The nerds at the Applied Physics Lab? He wants the Hopkins lacrosse community to like him. Now, why might he do that? Could it be because he actually does care and wants the team to do well? If he didn't care, why the hell show up? Why make the effort? This is a classic example of taking a good thing — the president shows up to support the team in a big game — and spinning it into a bad thing to fit a warped agenda.

nyjay, on your point #2 — Melendez was highly rated coming out of Spalding. IL top 70 recruit and first-team MIAA. I have no idea how he ended up at Marquette, there's probably a story there. Clearly, Petro passed on him. In that Glenn Clark interview from the other day Melendez said it was always his dream to play at Homewood and he jumped at the chance to transfer. Sounds like his injury issues may have spooked some other teams away and he was grateful we took a chance on him. He's quickly turning into my favorite player on the team.

As for #4, no one is going to confuse us with 2016 Brown but we have the horses to get out and go in transition. The poles can all handle the ball and Melendez is so good as the point man in those situations. He sees the field really well.

Ah yes. The House flack doing flack kinds of things. Daniels and attending an away game was only natural fandom at work. Regardless of 14? years of evidence to the contrary and the previous president attending more games in one year.

Bunch of non sequiturs. A photo op showing support for the team does not require winning a game. Establishing an association with the team after so many years is goal enuff. It was not more than a couple of years ago the lax community was wondering if Daniels could find Homewood field on his own. You are what your record of 14 years says you are. Records can always be modified so welcome bsck to the war. Maybe it will be repeated. It would help the program.
How does it feel to see the program in such a healthier, positive and more competitive place than where the last guy left it? You hate it, don't you?

You didn't actually address any of the points in my post about the reasoning behind his attendance. Talk about non sequiturs. You're the grandmaster.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Slim wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:07 am So good to see this program on the rise and back in the top 5. Say what you will about Milliman, he has put together an outstanding staff (all Blue Jays) and a solid plan.

This is not Benson's offense (as the MD coach said on national tv the other night), it is Crawley's, and he deserves ASST. Coach-of-the-Year, imo!
John Crawley has made highly significant contributions to this team that not everyone realizes or appreciates.
Kudos for recognizing his accomplishments.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Just talked with Krista in the ticket office. Because Thursday, May 4 is a work day, there are no advance sales for on campus parking. They may sell parking at the lot for the 3:30 game if spaces open up.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Lots of JHU commits (Rawson, Kilrain, Eye, Lumpris...assuming he is still coming) with nice mentions in IL write-up of Lawrenceville-Salisbury

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eams/61282
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:18 pm Lots of JHU commits (Rawson, Kilrain, Eye, Lumpris...assuming he is still coming) with nice mentions in IL write-up of Lawrenceville-Salisbury

You can watch the full game here:

https://vimeo.com/818934463

Rawson is #16, Kilrain #6, Eye #48 and Lumpris #5.

My notes:

Rawson - a, 9:38 1st
g, 11:14 3rd
a, 1:35 3rd

Kilrain - ct, 6:00 1st
g, 9:48 2nd,
ct, 9:15 2nd
a, 4:55 3rd,
ct, 11:22 4th

Eye - ct 0.22 1st
ct, 9:00 3rd,
Ct, 6:20 3rd

Lumpris - g, 9:04 3rd
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:18 pm Lots of JHU commits (Rawson, Kilrain, Eye, Lumpris...assuming he is still coming) with nice mentions in IL write-up of Lawrenceville-Salisbury

I guess I should have said "relatively" lean recruiting classes in my prior post (the '23 and '24 classes seem pretty deep, even if no top 10 type recruits). Have to imagine this year's success makes recruiting a little bit easier going forward. I know I've said this before, but a pipeline from Lawrenceville is going to be a very big deal going forward.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

https://nlfrankings.com/2023-nlf-high-s ... p-25-no-3/

“Kilrain’s been in the middle of it all. The senior is having the best year of his career and has established himself as a dominant all-around defenseman. When he was younger, he was more known to be the perfect complementary defenseman who understood off-ball defense at a much higher level than his peers.

That off-ball work is still there, but he now prides himself on being a shutdown 1v1 defender. There’s no hiding from the lefty future Blue Jay, and that’s bad news for opposing offenses.

“I’ve taken a step forward in being an on-ball guy,” Kilrain said. “I love to lead and taking the pride of having the responsibility of leading the defense is great. Now, I’m taking 1v1 personal and I want to shut down everyone I go up against. When someone’s going to dodge on me, I want to own that matchup.”
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:55 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:51 am I believe he was referring to the comments made by the public personality, bolded, not those of a fellow poster.
The question seems fair.
Yes. Thank you.
My error. Thank you.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

While we all agree that sportscasters should stick to sports, smearing Quint as a racist with no evidence at all (the quote contained no reference to race) is best left to Hampsterdam.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

QuickStick @quickstickblog
Johns Hopkins’ win over Maryland on Saturday was the second-most viewed NCAA lacrosse game this season with ~58K viewers
This was the most viewed game on BTN this year. Most viewed game remains Duke @ Notre Dame on 4/8 (ESPNU) with ~60K viewers
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

admin wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:44 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:55 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:51 am I believe he was referring to the comments made by the public personality, bolded, not those of a fellow poster.
The question seems fair.
Yes. Thank you.
My error. Thank you.
All good!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:52 pm While we all agree that sportscasters should stick to sports, smearing Quint as a racist with no evidence at all (the quote contained no reference to race) is best left to Hampsterdam.
mmm, IMO, there are subtexts on such comments as made by the 'sportscaster' (and others) that are unavoidably about "race" in the minds of many readers/listeners. Quint should know that. And if he wishes to publicly apologize for conjuring such subtext, that's up to him. Or not.

I think that challenge is quite appropriate in the context of discussing current events about lacrosse, and in this case about an alum, a public figure, throwing such shade at his alma mater and the city in which it thrives. Does such discussion deserve a separate thread? Maybe, but not needed to be in Hamsterdam.

The response was to another poster calling Quint's short bit 'great', including what was bolded as offensive. If that's not what is intended as 'great', posters are free to clarify when challenged about it.

Obviously, we're all free to have differing reactions. Personally, I found Quint's comments as described. Which is disappointing. But perhaps he'll apologize for the impression given and clarify his intentions as something else. Or simply apologize for saying something off the cuff that in retrospect was stupid to have said. Bad attempt at humor. Whatever.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Yes, we all (at least on this thread) wish Quint were more of a homer. I have no idea why he continues to talk down his alma mater. Maybe he thinks it makes him sound more objective; maybe he thinks somebody treated him unfairly. I have no idea.

But, none of that matters. What matters is an unfounded accusation of racism. And if I wish Quint treated his own better, we should endeavor to do likewise.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”