Towson 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Math1234

Re: Towson 2023

Post by Math1234 »

https://twitter.com/UMBC_MLax/status/16 ... 59393?s=20

Postponed until Sunday. Might play it at Towson if power is not back on.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

https://towsontigers.com/sports/mens-la ... core/27961

One of the sloppiest games I've ever seen. There were 49 combined turnovers and Towson had a ridiculous 12 shots on goal. Another unheard of stat at least in the shotclock era. Give UMBC credit, when we weren't throwing the ball in the dirt or over somebody's head, they gave up very few open shots. I can't get this team. There's too much talent on offense to be this ineffective. And when you get a player of Weisshaar's caliber, even if he's not quite there yet coming off the knee injury. he has to get some shots. That's on the OC and the 29 turnovers. At least we spread them out. Hope Swain is ok after he was injured in the first half.
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

UMBC DC Craig Chick had a great game plan for Towson offense and the TU clear. Towson was out coached.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Craig Chick has put together a tremendous defense,

it’s a shut down defense, real physical, solid solid goaltending.
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

UMBC put the ball on the carpet many times. Slides were precise. The ride forced TU to do things they weren't comfortable with.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

oldskoollax wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:11 pm UMBC DC Craig Chick had a great game plan for Towson offense and the TU clear. Towson was out coached.
I have watched Nadelen since he took over at Towson and have never really seen him "outcoached" by anyone. I think that this is a talent issue more than anything else. The Tigers are 14-27 since the beginning of 2020 and have become increasingly one-dimensional on offense with very few if any players that can beat their man one on one, particularly against elite defensive teams.

They play a really tough schedule every year, but no longer have defenders like Zach Goodrich, Jack Adams, Tyler Mayes or Koby Smith, athletic snipers like Ryan Drenner, Spencer Parks, Joe Seider, Brendan Sunday, Brody Mclean or Timmy Monahan, or FOGOs like Alex Woodall or goalies like Shane Brennan and Tyler White. The coaching hasn't changed. The talent has.

I am not counting Towson out since there are a LOT more games to play. However, this team in particular has to do a better job taking care of the ball. They don't have enough offensive talent to make that many mistakes and still come out on top. 96 turnovers in 5 games (19.2 a game) and only 10.1 goals a game. Not a winning formula. And not Nadelen's fault.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:19 pm
oldskoollax wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:11 pm UMBC DC Craig Chick had a great game plan for Towson offense and the TU clear. Towson was out coached.
I have watched Nadelen since he took over at Towson and have never really seen him "outcoached" by anyone. I think that this is a talent issue more than anything else. The Tigers are 14-27 since the beginning of 2020 and have become increasingly one-dimensional on offense with very few if any players that can beat their man one on one, particularly against elite defensive teams.

They play a really tough schedule every year, but no longer have defenders like Zach Goodrich, Jack Adams, Tyler Mayes or Koby Smith, athletic snipers like Ryan Drenner, Spencer Parks, Joe Seider, Brendan Sunday, Brody Mclean or Timmy Monahan, or FOGOs like Alex Woodall or goalies like Shane Brennan and Tyler White. The coaching hasn't changed. The talent has.

I am not counting Towson out since there are a LOT more games to play. However, this team in particular has to do a better job taking care of the ball. They don't have enough offensive talent to make that many mistakes and still come out on top. 96 turnovers in 5 games (19.2 a game) and only 10.1 goals a game. Not a winning formula. And not Nadelen's fault.
So it's not Nadelen's fault that he doesn't recruit better talent or that he can't find a better OC to replace Gilardi?
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

The gameplan by Chick was great, but that had very little to with the ball thrown at player's feet and over their heads. I'm not talking about during slides. The simple pass and catch. They had 18 turnovers on Wednesday so it's not like that problem just started today. I don't know if Towson was ready to play Saturday before the power outage, but the same result would have probably taken place.
Last edited by Math1234 on Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Math1234 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:32 pm

So it's not Nadelen's fault that he doesn't recruit better talent or that he can't find a better OC to replace Gilardi?
My thinking is, and my favorites were Zach Goodrich and especially Jack Adams,
those type of guys are going elsewhere - they’re being stacked on teams like Maryland and UVA and …
Plus, the game has changed.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

They went to the FF in 2017 and had a chance in 2019 if not for falling apart down the stretch against Md. They never really capitalized recruiting-wise and losing Gilardi probably was a big factor. They also miss Avanzato this season. He was the closest thing to Drenner (31g, 25a LY). At some point, they have to figure out the attack and the midfield units because there's very little chemistry despite the fact that most are veterans.
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

Towson had 27 turnovers today and it could have been 30 if UMBC comes up with some GBs. Towson had 24 shots and only 12 on goal. When you don't have elite talent then coaching has to take over. So if you think Nadelen/his staff didn't get out coached you didn't watch this game objectively. Coaches have to adapt and make changes when an opposing coach has their number. That didn't happen today. I would argue that Towson has better athletes than UMBC. UMBC was better coached today. So I think that is being out coached.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Feel like this team has been stuck in the same place since after the 2019 season. Obviously losing Gilardi has been huge, don't think the timing is a coincidence. But every game they lose, the same issues are there: turnovers, poor gb play, poor shooting. It would be naive to think that the coaches don't see these issues too, which makes it more confusing why there hasn't been more consistency and better play. Obviously, there were mistakes on Wed. against Loyola, but they played much better in that game and should've won by a few goals. Today they just did not show up. I'm hopeful they can turn it around this year, but they will have to figure out some of these major issues. Tough to imagine things going much better next week against UVA too. Regardless, things need to change.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Tigers schedules have been stacked, much more so than other CAA teams or really many other teams.
Schedules have included Georgetown, Duke, UVA, Cornell, Hopkins, Loyola, Denver, Richmond, even St Joe’s more recently.

Which of these teams are the Tigers beating ?

Loyola, yes
— also, some difficult CAA teams they’ve had to play
since 2020
— but, you have to have the players to compete against
that type of scheduling.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

oldskoollax wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:21 pm

Towson had 27 turnovers today and it could have been 30 if UMBC comes up with some GBs. Towson had 24 shots and only 12 on goal. When you don't have elite talent then coaching has to take over. So if you think Nadelen/his staff didn't get out coached you didn't watch this game objectively. Coaches have to adapt and make changes when an opposing coach has their number. That didn't happen today. I would argue that Towson has better athletes than UMBC. UMBC was better coached today. So I think that is being out coached.
Yup. Coaching matters and recruiting is part of coaching.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:16 pm Tigers schedules have been stacked, much more so than other CAA teams or really many other teams.
Schedules have included Georgetown, Duke, UVA, Cornell, Hopkins, Loyola, Denver, Richmond, even St Joe’s more recently.

Loyola, yes
since 2020
that type of scheduling.
I don't mind the schedule. We've always played a tough schedule under Nads. The conference flat-out stinks right now so it doesn't help to toughen you up before you play the CAA teams and if you have a good enough team and you steal a few wins, you have at-large potential.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Math1234 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:23 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:16 pm Tigers schedules have been stacked, much more so than other CAA teams or really many other teams.

Loyola, yes
since 2020
that type of scheduling.
I don't mind the schedule. We've always played a tough schedule under Nads. The conference flat-out stinks right now so it doesn't help to toughen you up before you play the CAA teams and if you have a good enough team and you steal a few wins, you have at-large potential.
You could argue that these tough OOC games help you get to the CAA tourney. Then you just need to win two games and you're in. Losing to UMBC 8-4 is really tough to fathom. This team has too much talent.

The Conference is definitely down this year, but there are no guarantees for ANY of these teams to finish in the top 4.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:33 pm

Loyola, yes
since 2020
that type of scheduling.
You could argue that these tough OOC games help you get to the CAA tourney. Then you just need to win two games and you're in. Losing to UMBC 8-4 is really tough to fathom. This team has too much talent.

The Conference is definitely down this year, but there are no guarantees for ANY of these teams to finish in the top 4.
The UMBC loss looks even worse after Delaware put up 17 on them. It wasn't the defense's fault and you can talk all you want about the incredible strategy of Chick, but that was an offensive performance on offense to be kind. It's one of those you have to look at yourself in the mirror and think about major personnel and schematic changes. Can't just say it's a one-off when the team is averaging 19 turnovers per game.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Math1234 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:27 pm
Henpecked wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:33 pm

Loyola, yes
since 2020
that type of scheduling.

The UMBC loss looks even worse after Delaware put up 17 on them. It wasn't the defense's fault and you can talk all you want about the incredible strategy of Chick, but that was an offensive performance on offense to be kind. It's one of those you have to look at yourself in the mirror and think about major personnel and schematic changes. Can't just say it's a one-off when the team is averaging 19 turnovers per game.
It looks like this team is going to have the ball more with faceoffs being a positive too. Maybe they will try some things out this weekend against UVA. Seems like the ball dies in their sticks a lot, and there isn't much quick ball movement. But these offensive issues have been the norm the last couple years. It is surprising this year however, because there is some talent to work with but you can't score if you continue to throw the ball away.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Math1234 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:02 pm They went to the FF in 2017 and had a chance in 2019 if not for falling apart down the stretch against Md. They never really capitalized recruiting-wise and losing Gilardi probably was a big factor. They also miss Avanzato this season. He was the closest thing to Drenner (31g, 25a LY). At some point, they have to figure out the attack and the midfield units because there's very little chemistry despite the fact that most are veterans.
Nads was able to get lightening in a bottle with the '17 class. They were the best of the rest, late bloomer etc. 6 of that class made the pros and another 5 that were on the team, also played at the next level. Hard to replicate that year, after year.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:35 am
Math1234 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:02 pm They went to the FF in 2017 and had a chance in 2019 if not for falling apart down the stretch against Md. They never really capitalized recruiting-wise and losing Gilardi probably was a big factor. They also miss Avanzato this season. He was the closest thing to Drenner (31g, 25a LY). At some point, they have to figure out the attack and the midfield units because there's very little chemistry despite the fact that most are veterans.
Nads was able to get lightening in a bottle with the '17 class. They were the best of the rest, late bloomer etc. 6 of that class made the pros and another 5 that were on the team, also played at the next level. Hard to replicate that year, after year.
Not asking him to go to the FF every year or every other year. Finding an offense that doesn't turn it over 19 times per game would be nice. Putting more athletes at midfield, not just defensive midfield is not impossible. They don't need a million pros. But if you're not getting it done recruiting, how about using the transfer portal? They are 14-27 the last 41 games since the 2019 season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”