Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
fatherof2

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by fatherof2 »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:10 pm
Ketch wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:57 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:01 am Ketch, Friday night 10 - midnight and the Saturday 10am - noon and same for Sunday. Then practices would typically have the same schedule. Somehow, the routine proved successful! Best part was the popsicles Coach U provided post-practice :lol:
I don't remember days of the week. I just remember 10-12 for tryouts and winter practice, and then being out on the parking lot. Absolutely brutal.

I do remember some of the football guys trying out. No skill at all for most of them, but some of them were such good athletes that two years after initially trying out they were starting.
Tom Schardt (3X lax DII-III AA) & Mac Nelson come to mind. Ed Howard (2X D II-III lax AA) was the NYS champion the 220 hurdles in hs and a a highly (D 1) recruited basketball player. I think Ed Cooney and Steve Wood were fb converts as well. I'm sure that I've missed a lot.

Tom Korn comes to my mind when thinking of the two sport guys.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Just listened to the podcast. Sure sounds like Shea is going to be a scratch from what coach had to say.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Lehigh will be hungry after the result of last year’s game. Listening to the podcast, I think Coach is keeping his cards close to his chest. I anticipate Shea taking the first faceoff, with Schofield alternating in. Wing-play will be the determining factor on many possessions as it always is, but to compete with Siss, the wings have to be relentless. Watch for Peterkin on Saturday. He’ll get the short stick matchup and his downhill speed is next level.

Way too soon to discuss maybe, but Hobart has a 2023 commit (Christopher Patterson), who might be a top 15-20 recruit in the country for his class. Imagining an attack group of him, Rosa, and Delano is lethal. Patterson behind the cage, Rosa playing his off ball role, and Delano operating on the wing. Something to get very excited about in my opinion. Patterson’s tape is extremely impressive.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigHoss wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:47 pm Lehigh will be hungry after the result of last year’s game. Listening to the podcast, I think Coach is keeping his cards close to his chest. I anticipate Shea taking the first faceoff, with Schofield alternating in. Wing-play will be the determining factor on many possessions as it always is, but to compete with Siss, the wings have to be relentless. Watch for Peterkin on Saturday. He’ll get the short stick matchup and his downhill speed is next level.

Way too soon to discuss maybe, but Hobart has a 2023 commit (Christopher Patterson), who might be a top 15-20 recruit in the country for his class. Imagining an attack group of him, Rosa, and Delano is lethal. Patterson behind the cage, Rosa playing his off ball role, and Delano operating on the wing. Something to get very excited about in my opinion. Patterson’s tape is extremely impressive.
Too bad the class next year won’t include Liam Matthew’s as well
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:03 pm
BigHoss wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:47 pm Lehigh will be hungry after the result of last year’s game. Listening to the podcast, I think Coach is keeping his cards close to his chest. I anticipate Shea taking the first faceoff, with Schofield alternating in. Wing-play will be the determining factor on many possessions as it always is, but to compete with Siss, the wings have to be relentless. Watch for Peterkin on Saturday. He’ll get the short stick matchup and his downhill speed is next level.

A tough blow without question. However, Brundage is a strong recruiter and I have a lot of faith in his ability to bring in quality talent. Turri was certainly a loss, I think he recruited well too and was starting to get a feel for the position. Not an excellent communicator on the sidelines, though. Watching various highlight tapes of incoming Statesmen, I feel the future is immaculate. I don’t fully understand why we haven’t utilized the transfer portal at all. Our competition is utilizing the Covid Era of transfers and many of them have been successful. Look at Jacksonville, an irrelevant program who has now risen to prominence through finding players from other schools who showed ability. I also think the JUCO route can really be effective as well. I know Peet brought in Delpha who had a strong showing in purple and orange. But since then, nothing. I get the 4 year thing, but eventually I think it becomes a matter of adapting to the landscape of the times.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigHoss wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:13 am

A tough blow without question. However, Brundage is a strong recruiter and I have a lot of faith in his ability to bring in quality talent. Turri was certainly a loss, I think he recruited well too and was starting to get a feel for the position. Not an excellent communicator on the sidelines, though. Watching various highlight tapes of incoming Statesmen, I feel the future is immaculate. I don’t fully understand why we haven’t utilized the transfer portal at all. Our competition is utilizing the Covid Era of transfers and many of them have been successful. Look at Jacksonville, an irrelevant program who has now risen to prominence through finding players from other schools who showed ability. I also think the JUCO route can really be effective as well. I know Peet brought in Delpha who had a strong showing in purple and orange. But since then, nothing. I get the 4 year thing, but eventually I think it becomes a matter of adapting to the landscape of the times.
I’d prefer OCC over the portal. And with all due respect to JU we probably can’t take everyone they do. Understand we’re not Ivy but there’s still a difference. But taking a CNY/WNY kid who’s not feeling it far away from home like a Brendan Saylor type situation certainly makes sense.

We lose kids all the time-Bland, Rovere and Matthews and for those who recall Connor Durkin was supposed to be in the junior class now and his HS performance was on par with Ryan Archers. But it stings because while we have 61 on the roster we have struggled with depth late in seasons for the entirety of Raymonds tenure. It was an issue under Kerwick as well but the schedule was significantly more difficult then between conference and SOS than it’s been.

BTW, Rosa, Delano & Patterson would be a physically small group. We’d need a 4th attack ready to step in at a moments notice because teams would look to beat them down.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Lack of grad programs limits participation in the portal
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Triple negative: (1) Hill School, so you know he's been coached up; (2) He's a lefty; (3) Tambo got him to decommit from his alma mater..
That being said, as someone mentioned, there's a lot of talent out there--just have to find it..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:41 am

If someone is getting a worthless 1yr grad program degree from a non elite university and transferring and delaying their professional lives they’re not for Hobart anyways but the last few years we’ve kept probably 75% of our kids with the couple of generic masters programs we have and they’re paying to do it which says a lot.
See Martin, Malcolm
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:13 am

I’d prefer OCC over the portal. And with all due respect to JU we probably can’t take everyone they do. Understand we’re not Ivy but there’s still a difference. But taking a CNY/WNY kid who’s not feeling it far away from home like a Brendan Saylor type situation certainly makes sense.

We lose kids all the time-Bland, Rovere and Matthews and for those who recall Connor Durkin was supposed to be in the junior class now and his HS performance was on par with Ryan Archers. But it stings because while we have 61 on the roster we have struggled with depth late in seasons for the entirety of Raymonds tenure. It was an issue under Kerwick as well but the schedule was significantly more difficult then between conference and SOS than it’s been.

BTW, Rosa, Delano & Patterson would be a physically small group. We’d need a 4th attack ready to step in at a moments notice because teams would look to beat them down.
I agree with you on the size element of that group. The cool part about Brundage offense is that it’s essentially position-less. You could have a guy initiate from the high alley, and finish the possession dodging from X. I think that style of motion offense is most effective and nice to watch. I’m not sure we have too many “bigger” attackmen committed to the program in future classes so it’ll be interesting to see. I can eventually see Peterkin moving down low in his career. A more dynamic Madonna in the sense that Peterkin can shoot the ball with such velocity, while dodging with aggression. Nice to have that on the field every possession.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigHoss wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:12 am

I agree with you on the size element of that group. The cool part about Brundage offense is that it’s essentially position-less. You could have a guy initiate from the high alley, and finish the possession dodging from X. I think that style of motion offense is most effective and nice to watch. I’m not sure we have too many “bigger” attackmen committed to the program in future classes so it’ll be interesting to see. I can eventually see Peterkin moving down low in his career. A more dynamic Madonna in the sense that Peterkin can shoot the ball with such velocity, while dodging with aggression. Nice to have that on the field every possession.
We’re on the same page. When we had the right group in 19/20 that offense was pretty.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Regarding size, I heard Wimer mentioned in the podcast. I had thought he was a defensive middie, but per the podcast, he is essentially an offensive player who is retraining to play both ways. I've been impressed with his attitude and aggression, and he seems like a big guy ... must be 6'2'' at least.

Sounds like it will be a very tough challenge this weekend. Shea is injured and uncertain for tomorrow. It sounded like Dattillas is a last minute call too.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:03 am

If someone is getting a worthless 1yr grad program degree from a non elite university and transferring and delaying their professional lives they’re not for Hobart anyways but the last few years we’ve kept probably 75% of our kids with the couple of generic masters programs we have and they’re paying to do it which says a lot.
Has Hobart ever had a grad transfer?
The list of grad transfers who would contribute at Hobart is long
8 Princeton guys in the portal
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:53 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:03 am

Has Hobart ever had a grad transfer?
The list of grad transfers who would contribute at Hobart is long
8 Princeton guys in the portal
Yes and they’re only going to go to one of 5-10 schools. Respectfully they aren’t going to anyone who hasn’t been in a quarters the last two years or is a USNWR top 30 program academically (to account for Rutgers and 1-2 others, they aren’t even going to consider Del or others). They aren’t going to any Big East school not named GTown, they aren’t going to some of the Big Ten Schools but basically ACC, GTown, Hop, MD, Rut, OSU and that’s just about it.

And we’re conflating grad transfers which the Ivies will run out of in 1-2yrs post this covid mess with all the other extra years kids have available. Transfer typically means transfer for the same degree one was matriculating under at the prior school. It doesn’t mean 5th year for athletics.

How many 5th yrs with degrees from HYP are considering any A10 school?
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:31 pm Regarding size, I heard Wimer mentioned in the podcast. I had thought he was a defensive middie, but per the podcast, he is essentially an offensive player who is retraining to play both ways. I've been impressed with his attitude and aggression, and he seems like a big guy ... must be 6'2'' at least.

Sounds like it will be a very tough challenge this weekend. Shea is injured and uncertain for tomorrow. It sounded like Dattillas is a last minute call too.
My understanding is Wimer was a strong scorer in HS. Hard to say he good it is but he was 43,28,71 his senior year at Monarch - https://www.maxpreps.com/co/louisville/ ... d0v61qqbj3

He was listed in HS as 6’1”, 195 and on our roster at 6’2”, 205

Then again Baltzer had 55g his senior year in CO and DiTomosso was about the same in IL in a strong Chicago land area. But he missed a full year and thinking he’s good enough to be o the field but needs to refine his game offensive game presuming he’s SSDM with green light in transition.
See Martin, Malcolm
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

As a Syracuse fan who has watched his fair share of Hobart games, the issue under Raymond certainly hasn't been offense. I think he has done a great job of getting CNY/Sec 3 and Upstate kids who fall just under the radar/recruiting level of the big boys ie SU, Cornell, UVA, Maryland, UNC etc and putting together a pretty good offense with talent - Archer, Rosa, Delano, Dattellas, Madonna amongst others.

Hobart's major issue that I have seen most years when SU plays Hobart is that Hobart doesn't have the depth defensively needed to beat most of the upper level power teams ie ACC B10 most IVY etc. Not that you don't usually have a couple of quality defenders but not nearly enough to match up 6 on 6 especially at SSDM and often at LSM. Syracuse in particular has had a ton of success attacking Hobart through the midfield going back years. It's very difficult to do (SU's defense last year is a testament) but Raymond has to recruit stronger and quicker defensemen if Hobart is ever going to make a serious run. Offensively he has brought in plenty of quality talent from what I have seen especially at attack.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Excellent analysis from JeremyCuse!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JeremyCuse wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:35 pm

As a Syracuse fan who has watched his fair share of Hobart games, the issue under Raymond certainly hasn't been offense. I think he has done a great job of getting CNY/Sec 3 and Upstate kids who fall just under the radar/recruiting level of the big boys ie SU, Cornell, UVA, Maryland, UNC etc and putting together a pretty good offense with talent - Archer, Rosa, Delano, Dattellas, Madonna amongst others.

Hobart's major issue that I have seen most years when SU plays Hobart is that Hobart doesn't have the depth defensively needed to beat most of the upper level power teams ie ACC B10 most IVY etc. Not that you don't usually have a couple of quality defenders but not nearly enough to match up 6 on 6 especially at SSDM and often at LSM. Syracuse in particular has had a ton of success attacking Hobart through the midfield going back years. It's very difficult to do (SU's defense last year is a testament) but Raymond has to recruit stronger and quicker defensemen if Hobart is ever going to make a serious run. Offensively he has brought in plenty of quality talent from what I have seen especially at attack.
If our wings held up better last year we could’ve easily taken that game, our FOGO stood up Sisselberger and Zach Cole 50/50 last year but your wings killed us. And I thought we’ve got some excellent LSMs.

But generally in complete agreement with essence of your point I’m general and particularly at SSDM which is where this convo has been focused.

I tend to believe the switch from Jeremy Hirsch to Justin Turri was a downgrade for our defensive end in coaching and recruiting on that side and now we’ve got a new D coordinator folks rave about but he came from St Johns which didn’t perform like older vintage UMass teams on D the last few years so TBD.

Oh and don’t forget on offense when mentioning some names to include Frank Brown, Eric Holden, Justin Scott and Jason Knox (who we had for 2.5yrs) among others. We’ve had the offensive talent despite losing some. It’s just this year has a lot of new faces on O and less on D which is why the discussion migrated that way in preseason and early in the season as we find out who’s going to drive the offense beyond John Herlihy and Anthony a Dattellas.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

While not huge this two way canadian midfielder whom recently committed to Bart looks like quite a hustler and athlete.

Sheldon Broughton

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”