Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
TheBigIguana

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by TheBigIguana »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:40 am
Hopfan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:02 am Any news on Callahan, who only took 1 FO? Only 21 played (not including Callahan), fewest in 3 games. Only obvious healthy scratch was Todaro, who played briefly vs GU.
Dunn matched up better stylistically against UNC's guy. They're more athletic scrappers whereas Callahan is a straightforward clamper. Against similar technicians, Callahan tends to have the advantage, but against guys who are able to turn it into more of a GB battle, Dunn is the better option. I don't know a ton about Loyola's FOGOs now that Savio has finally graduated but I would probably expect to see more of Callahan on Saturday.
Pacheco is an athletic scrapper
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

if i may in the big scheduling debate... at no time in my experience did i get tired legs because of a game played days before. never.

got tired legs when in the course of a game, there was a long or intense run, followed by another run in short order. had i gotten enough time to rest, even several minutes, it was fine regardless of anything. and could do that throughout. recovery needed was minutes, not a week. or days.

practice some days was more intense on legs than games, as example full scrimmage was a team split in 2 (and not a 58 man team), and other stations of work.

when for whatever reason that intragame rest isn't happening, you become very susceptible to mistakes, "laziness", blowbys like you're in cement, etc. this is where a good box coach and depth wins out. these guys are in tremendous shape, but usain bolt couldn't run 2 100 meters in a row. put the olympic finals 3 days after the semis vs a week and it makes no difference whatsoever. the shot clock is forcing your next defensive or offensive rep to be ~60 seconds later. you better have the horses.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:22 am "not a fan of Crawley's offense"
Oh I don't know... could be Krieg's outstanding play was a much bigger factor than Crawley's coaching ;)
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

That one stings, but I'm loving the energy of this team on the field and in media. It also looks like an uptick in fans or at least quality of the student fanbase. Several stand up plays by the SSDSMs! Good things moving forward!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

tech37 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:52 am Oh I don't know... could be Krieg's outstanding play was a much bigger factor than Crawley's coaching ;)
Agreed. Goalie play plays (in general) and played (last night) no small role in the outcome of a/the game. I can think of 3 that's-gotta-be-a-goal moments where the ball ended up in Krieg's stick... followed by a fast break. Some times I feel like the entire game is decided by the two face-off men and the two goalies. This obviously isn't true but... Man, those two positions are awfully helpful...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Random thoughts and rumblings
1. Quick view of stats shows 26 players for UNC 22 for JHU. I often wonder if a fresh back up is better than a tired starter.
2. QK did point out long stretches will tire the defense. Did the JHU offense give the D enough rest during their possessions? Shot clock has made this more difficult.
3. Data Point: 5:55 in the 4th , Score 9-7 Hopkins up 2 men and can’t capitalize. UNC scores at 4:37 to go up 10-7.
4. Does a stand-alone game Tuesday game on ESPN against a quality opponent have ancillary benefits? I’m from the school of quality losses are better than a win against a team ranked in the 50’s. Good exposure for the program, may help recruiting etc.
5. Decent evening but only a 1000 fans and three band members. Is watching at home becoming the better option? Not unique to JHU.
6. Did Petro’s sons make the travel roster?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

laxpert wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:58 am 3. Data Point: 5:55 in the 4th , Score 9-7 Hopkins up 2 men and can’t capitalize. UNC scores at 4:37 to go up 10-7.
No doubt in my mind that there were several critical moments and several critical mistakes. Just dumb stuff. Watched and thought, they're going to learn. I'm confident there'll be less stupid mistakes in a month or two.
laxpert wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:58 am 5. Decent evening but only a 1000 fans and three band members. Is watching at home becoming the better option? Not unique to JHU.
More than three band members (I believe) and... Watching the games on TV is great and I vacillated and vacillated until a friend who I hadn't seen in many years said he was going and... In person is pretty neat. Definitely a different experience. More of an experience.
laxpert wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:58 am 6. Did Petro’s sons make the travel roster?
I don't think so.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

OCanada wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:35 am He has a long lasting relationship w the lax team and played in title games as i recall. I read it as more of an execution than strategy issue but he can correct me if i am wrong. Player not coach
Who is “he”?
HotbedD3

Post by HotbedD3 »

laxpert wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:58 am 6. Did Petro’s sons make the travel roster?
Saw something on social media showing Dom Petro at Homewood. Not sure if that answers the question tho.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

tech37 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:52 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:22 am "not a fan of Crawley's offense"
Oh I don't know... could be Krieg's outstanding play was a much bigger factor than Crawley's coaching ;)
The offense looks like it's another recruiting class away from having the kinds of pieces that will make the offense better, but there's at least a coherency to the offense this year. There are still some smaller guys out there, but they're in spots and doing things that fit their capabilities. Then there's the bigger dudes in spots and doing things that fit their capabilities. The last two seasons, everyone looked like they were being asked to do things that didn't fit their capabilities.

On the other end, the defense has an identity and the right pieces in play, even if some guys are out injured. That defense is going to keep you all in every game regardless of the offense.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:51 am if i may in the big scheduling debate... at no time in my experience did i get tired legs because of a game played days before. never.

got tired legs when in the course of a game, there was a long or intense run, followed by another run in short order. had i gotten enough time to rest, even several minutes, it was fine regardless of anything. and could do that throughout. recovery needed was minutes, not a week. or days.
Wow, Jays need your recovery process. Tell us your secrets.

I think it's pretty obvious that when you have a team that had a physically and emotionally taxing Saturday game vs. Georgetown in which it appears they left it all out on the field then go up against a team that cruised to a Friday win over Mercer with their backups playing the entire second half, that latter team is probably going to have a bit more pep in their step and reserves in which to tap than the former team.

I started going to a personal trainer who's been kicking my ass and let me tell you after a leg day I feel a lot better two days later than one, and even better three days later than two. Then again, I'm in my 30s now so can't exactly bounce back like I used to. Point being, I see "tired legs" as more of a catch-all term that encompasses a lot of things about recovery (e.g. muscle soreness, which, yes, can affect your ability to play at 100% speed). If both teams went into that game with the same amount of rest, coming off the same level of intensity in their prior game, do we think the contest goes the exact same way, with the Jays in the lead for much of the game and then the Heels pulling away late? Maybe, but I have my doubts. The relatively short bench didn't help. I wanted to see another middie or two out there.

To be clear, I don't mean for any of that to be an excuse. They lost the game fair and square. I'm just glad we're talking about this and not the nightmarish lapses of yesteryear. To me that's a sign that this truly is a different team.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:56 pm Wait to you hear about the Final Four, where you have to play for all the marbles on two day's rest....or to help with the math, 3 games in 9 days. Against the best teams in D1.

Seem to remember Hopkins players faring quite well with the 3 games in 9 days format.
... not all games are the same in terms of causing fatigue going into a subsequent game. Hopkins also won an awful lot of those games without having two or three day "rest" practice games during the season. Personally I don't see a need for the games, or an advantage in having them, all else being equal. Now if it is a matter of difficulty in scheduling a team you want to play, that is another matter.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

While ultimately it would be preferable to mark this one down in the win column, last nights game had plenty of bright spots.

Marcille played generally well and the defense continues to look stout and stingy. They really just wore down in the 4th quarter from playing too much of the game on that end of the field. Could have used some more faceoff wins and a bit more help from the offensive group.

The gang also cleared pretty well against a 10 man ride all night long. This was very surprising given the troubles of the last however many years and super good practice/experience that should hopefully pay dividends in the future. Thanks heels.

On the offensive end there are still some things to work on and figure out. Along with the question mark in goal the offense was always going to be "the problem" still this year. UNC did a great job of clamping down on any and all inside looks and played well on ball as well. Krieg stoned a couple really good chances and maybe there was one waved off that shouldn't have been. Look to do better next week.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:48 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:51 am if i may in the big scheduling debate... at no time in my experience did i get tired legs because of a game played days before. never.

I think it's pretty obvious that when you have a team that had a physically and emotionally taxing Saturday game vs. Georgetown in which it appears they left it all out on the field then go up against a team that cruised to a Friday win over Mercer with their backups playing the entire second half, that latter team is probably going to have a bit more pep in their step and reserves in which to tap than the former team.

I started going to a personal trainer who's been kicking my ass and let me tell you after a leg day I feel a lot better two days later than one, and even better three days later than two. Then again, I'm in my 30s now so can't exactly bounce back like I used to. Point being, I see "tired legs" as more of a catch-all term that encompasses a lot of things about recovery (e.g. muscle soreness, which, yes, can affect your ability to play at 100% speed). If both teams went into that game with the same amount of rest, coming off the same level of intensity in their prior game, do we think the contest goes the exact same way, with the Jays in the lead for much of the game and then the Heels pulling away late? Maybe, but I have my doubts. The relatively short bench didn't help. I wanted to see another middie or two out there.

To be clear, I don't mean for any of that to be an excuse. They lost the game fair and square. I'm just glad we're talking about this and not the nightmarish lapses of yesteryear. To me that's a sign that this truly is a different team.
maybe a snarky rejoinder there, so it goes. gave some perspective on recovery for lacrosse for 20 year olds. not leg day (which is admittedly hard in other ways, especially as we age and with too much time behind a desk). you can assess, dismiss or whatever.

hopkins doesn't need my help, they get top notch training. and my perspective is not a unicorn and i was not alone. it's not pretty obvious to everyone re: one correlation = causation.

probably the biggest correlation = causation i saw was the save % differentials per half. and there were some doorstep saves by krieg and outside bombs by unc. maybe marcille was tired from having to be such a large part of the offense.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:46 am

maybe a snarky rejoinder there, so it goes. gave some perspective on recovery for lacrosse for 20 year olds. not leg day (which is admittedly hard in other ways, especially as we age and with too much time behind a desk). you can assess, dismiss or whatever.

hopkins doesn't need my help, they get top notch training. and my perspective is not a unicorn and i was not alone. it's not pretty obvious to everyone re: one correlation = causation.

probably the biggest correlation = causation i saw was the save % differentials per half. and there were some doorstep saves by krieg and outside bombs by unc. maybe marcille was tired from having to be such a large part of the offense.
... Marcille degraded as the lighting did. Krieg got better. But overall whatever you want to attribute it to, Jays defense was gassed by start of Q4.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:54 am

... Marcille degraded as the lighting did. Krieg got better. But overall whatever you want to attribute it to, Jays defense was gassed by start of Q4.
Yeah it could be any number of reasons. When Quint was making his talking point about the possibility of Hop's tired legs, I thought UNC had a whole week off beforehand. It turns out they had a measly ONE extra day, although I know it was against an easy opponent. That's probably negligible in 20-year-old legs.

But Hop did jump out to a lead whereas Krieg and UNC did seem to get better later in the game. I'm guessing that was more due to the fact that Hop had had 2 competitive games under their belts whereas UNC was more in preseason scrimmage mode after having only played Mercer probably at half speed, and once they got into game speed and form, that was the difference -- more so than tired legs.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Gatsby wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:09 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:54 am

Yeah it could be any number of reasons. When Quint was making his talking point about the possibility of Hop's tired legs, I thought UNC had a whole week off beforehand. It turns out they had a measly ONE extra day, although I know it was against an easy opponent. That's probably negligible in 20-year-old legs.

But Hop did jump out to a lead whereas Krieg and UNC did seem to get better later in the game. I'm guessing that was more due to the fact that Hop had had 2 competitive games under their belts whereas UNC was more in preseason scrimmage mode after having only played Mercer probably at half speed, and once they got into game speed and form, that was the difference -- more so than tired legs.
I was at the game, have no idea what Quint thought or said. Jays were definitely playing with less energy by start of Q4.
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

I think excuses are like butts, we all have them and they stink. Both teams had spurts of looking great, and not so great. It is still early! both teams have immense talent and will make pushes down the stretch this season.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

.... maybe marcille was tired from having to be such a large part of the offense.
[/quote]
Quality post!
Finster

Post by Finster »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:19 pm
Finster wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:53 am Obviously FO’s matter, but sometimes we can make too much of them. Last week Maryland’s Weirman won like 85% against Loyola, yet Loyola won the game by a fairly wide margin.
Agree - it CAN be a misleading stat - but it CAN of course also make a difference. If you only turn the ball over 1 more time than your opponent - have the same clear rate - pretty equal in ground balls - 33-31 and your goalie makes 20 saves where are the opponents possessions coming from that they outshoot you almost 2-1 and put 35 shots on goal? Well one answer is that probably several saves Kirson made went out of bounds and Carolina retained possession but the only significant possession differential throughout the whole game was face-offs.

I watched the UNC/Hop tilt last night. You could feel the game slipping from Hopkins. There was one play in the 4th quarter where UNC had possession (think it was inbounds but not sure), and the Carolina attackman used a pick to shake the much larger Hopkins defender. I’m sorry but not familiar enough with the teams to know who any of the four players were.

The Hopkins teammates had atrocious chemistry; they both moved to their right. The Carolina attackman came around left and fired point blank on your goalie. I think that either tied the game or gave Carolina a one goal lead.

The Hopkins defender looked like he was totally gassed. His teammate behind the goal with him there on the Carolina pick looked clueless.

The game went away fast from Hopkins at that stage. Ironically, your FOGO did well at the end.

Carolina/Joe wanted this game badly. They got into Baltimore on Sunday. Hopkins just ran out of steam. Why did Collison see so little 4th quarter action? He’s your next superstar. Use him.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”