YORK 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
LaxFan11

Re: YORK 2019

Post by LaxFan11 »

Laxdds wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:38 pm The South will more than likely go thru the winner of this game.

GO BULLETS!
I actually disagree with that statement. Last year York crushed Salisbury in the regular season and then lost to them in the CAC championship. Salisbury took the #1 overall seed in the south and York was shipped to the north which to me says the committee puts more emphasis on conference championships.

At the end of the day regardless of what happens I really believe YCP and Salisbury are the clear 1-2 in the south.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Gettysburg was #1 in the south last year..Even if York and Salisbury split regular season and CAC tournament games, for me the regular season game would carry more weight for seeding. I don't know how the committee feels about it.
GO BULLETS!
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

Laxdds wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm Gettysburg was #1 in the south last year..Even if York and Salisbury split regular season and CAC tournament games, for me the regular season game would carry more weight for seeding. I don't know how the committee feels about it.
GO BULLETS!
You are absolutely right, my fault. I would agree with you in my opinion the regular season should carry more weight BUT... right or wrong, the AQ being linked to the CAC championship game could make a big difference. If York wins regular season game and loses in CAC championship they lose the AQ and are geographically in a “better spot” to play games in the north.

At the end of the day I hope none of that matters and York wins out
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Currently 7-3 York, Warren was run out with the last goal. Ellis now in goal for Salisbury.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I'm pulling for York also
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Of Course the kink in the works would be if CNU won the CAC tournament :lol:
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxdds wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:24 pm Of Course the kink in the works would be if CNU won the CAC tournament :lol:
Absolutely. That would be something...

And York wins it 11-9
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

LaxFan11 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:59 pm
Laxdds wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm Gettysburg was #1 in the south last year..Even if York and Salisbury split regular season and CAC tournament games, for me the regular season game would carry more weight for seeding. I don't know how the committee feels about it.
GO BULLETS!
You are absolutely right, my fault. I would agree with you in my opinion the regular season should carry more weight BUT... right or wrong, the AQ being linked to the CAC championship game could make a big difference. If York wins regular season game and loses in CAC championship they lose the AQ and are geographically in a “better spot” to play games in the north.

Just a minute, grasshopper. Be careful what you wish for. If York were to be placed in the “north” as you say, they would arguably be underdogs to at least four teams in a head’s up matchup. RIT (who they already have lost to), Tufts (a tough out by any measure), Wesleyan (defending Nat’l Champs) and Amherst. And while we’re at it, throw in Williams for good measure. York’s best chance to advance to the national championship is to stay in the south where the competition is just a bit behind their northern brothers. Having said that, congratulations to York for going on the road and defeating the #1 ranked team in the country. Maybe this will be their year, but a ton of lax still to play.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

Tigerlax70 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 pm
LaxFan11 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:59 pm
GO BULLETS!

Just a minute, grasshopper. Be careful what you wish for. If York were to be placed in the “north” as you say, they would arguably be underdogs to at least four teams in a head’s up matchup. RIT (who they already have lost to), Tufts (a tough out by any measure), Wesleyan (defending Nat’l Champs) and Amherst. And while we’re at it, throw in Williams for good measure. York’s best chance to advance to the national championship is to stay in the south where the competition is just a bit behind their northern brothers. Having said that, congratulations to York for going on the road and defeating the #1 ranked team in the country. Maybe this will be their year, but a ton of lax still to play.
Never said they have a better shot at winning in the north. I said better geographically meaning travel wise as the NCAA sends south teams to the north bracket.

Ex: Cabrini, York, Stevenson in years past.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

LaxFan11 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:09 pm
Scarlet wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:00 pm York seniors scored 175 of their 275 goals this year and their faceoff man is a senior. I’m not sure that’s particularly illuminating, however. They graduated a fabulous goalie last year and started a freshman this year. Coach Childs is an excellent recruiter and YCP is a great value in between lacrosse hotbeds in Philadelphia and Baltimore. His kids are tough and play smart, disciplined lacrosse. I wonder how the pending move to the MAC will affect the trajectory of their program.
Not sure it will change much. Child’s does a good job of loading the schedule with tough OOC opponents like W&L, Gettysburg, RIT, Cabrini, Lynch etc which I don’t expect to change. I don’t take him as a take it easy coach because the top 4 in the MAC currently aren’t as tough as the top 4 in CAC. His coaching methods are built on making his players better young men I believe those high school players will continue to gravitate there...

Hats off to W&L this season. Making it to the playoffs was no easy task after multiple injuries and early season woes. Look forward to the future of the generals squad.
Couldn’t have said it any better. They needn’t worry about graduating seniors while their tournament hopes remain alive...

Coach Childs has the coffers full, and he will have the next man up ready.

W&L played a great game, and I’m sure their storied program will reload (after losing the likes of AJ).

On to Cabrini...
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Great game by York today. On offense they move the ball well and have some shooters who can find the back of the net. Great team defense as well. Best of luck and thanks for being gracious hosts to my family and our big dog today. The York fans were the nicest group of the season. Good luck the rest of the way.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

ctbagataway wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:09 am Great game by York today. On offense they move the ball well and have some shooters who can find the back of the net. Great team defense as well. Best of luck and thanks for being gracious hosts to my family and our big dog today. The York fans were the nicest group of the season. Good luck the rest of the way.
All of the W&L fans I had the pleasure of encountering were more than pleasant as well. I don’t know if you’re one of the ones I met, but if you saw a guy rocking a green York jersey (air-knit circa 2000) with 2 kids in tow, you saw me. Hope to see you next year.

(Who would’ve thought that I would enjoy post game shakes at DQ with my kids more than all of those post game party crawls down Jackson Street to the “study hall.”)
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Good article in USlax magazine with a Coach Childs interview

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... or-leaders
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Would’ve loved to see this group make the final four... shame.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Congrats to York for a very good season. Always disappointing to lose at this point, but I think this senior group should proud of what they've accomplished during their careers. Best of luck to all of them as they move forward in life.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I couldn’t speak higher of a group of young men. 2018 saw them lose All Americans at Mid, D, and Goalie. With a freshman in net, they increased their strength of schedule and the “next men up” thrived. Churning out another 19 win campaign, they again made an Elite 8 NCAA berth. I credit Coach Childs and his team preparation for the depth across the board.

Closing out 2019 is no different. They are losing; 3 stud attackmen in Pfeiffer McGrath and Davis, a defensive anchor in Witchey, and one of the best faceoff men in d3 lacrosse in Sasso.

-Predictions -

Attack
Chandler Schmidt will take an immediate role. The transfer out of Harford CC has 55 goals through 14 games for the Owls. He will be playing this Saturday in their NJCAA Championship game vs Onandoga CC (NY).

Brendan O’Sullivan appears ready to take the next step. He’s battle tested having seen action in 17 games in his Sophomore campaign. He also potted 9 goals in his limited time.

I could also see a switch from Midfield to attack for the third spot. I would look at Eric Ranck. In his freshmen year, the 6’3” middie played in 22 games notching 7 goals and 18 assists. His big body and ability to distribute the ball would look great on attack against those big defenders. York’s low tempo deliberate offense could benefit from his attributes.

Midfield
I see Gunnar Reynolds and Jake Hvazda continuing to lead a highly talented young group with consistent top to bottom depth. At LSM Tyler Nation appeared able to snuff out some of the best Middies d3 has to offer.
Who will take the draws has yet to be seen...

Defense
Ryan Kennedy stepped up at big moments and in big ways. 52 ground balls and 31 caused turn overs. He will be big for York in his Senoir year.
(Stay out of the penalty box)

Goal
Jack Michael has been a godsend after losing an AA. The freshman out of Michigan started all games this year. He will only get better.
RetiredCardinal

Post by RetiredCardinal »

Greetings DP!

Completely agree on the Chandler Schmidt take. He's had a solid run at HCC after having to sit out his freshman campaign at Essex due to injury. Definitely a turnkey kinda deal with him.

Would like to see Wolf add about 15lbs in the gym over the summer. Solid ball-handler and nice shooter. Size is the only concern as he got pushed around a lot vs Salisbury SSDMs.

Jack Michael has been fun to watch. Hated to see him get beat stick side in that Cabrini game but he's gonna be a much needed anchor for them for years to come - just like Marshall before him.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

RetiredCardinal wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 pm Greetings DP!

Completely agree on the Chandler Schmidt take. He's had a solid run at HCC after having to sit out his freshman campaign at Essex due to injury. Definitely a turnkey kinda deal with him.

Would like to see Wolf add about 15lbs in the gym over the summer. Solid ball-handler and nice shooter. Size is the only concern as he got pushed around a lot vs Salisbury SSDMs.

Jack Michael has been fun to watch. Hated to see him get beat stick side in that Cabrini game but he's gonna be a much needed anchor for them for years to come - just like Marshall before him.
Hey Card.
Yes, I was remiss not to mention Wolf at midfield. One of their leaders for sure. As a group largely comprised of underclassmen, albeit talented, a few pounds of muscle would help across the board.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:30 pm
RetiredCardinal wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 pm Greetings DP!

Hey Card.
Yes, I was remiss not to mention Wolf at midfield. One of their leaders for sure. As a group largely comprised of underclassmen, albeit talented, a few pounds of muscle would help across the board.
Would expect Hvazda to be moved to attack in 2020. In 2018 when McGrath was injured he was moved down low and was a fantastic ball distributor over shooter which to me makes more sense than moving Ranck down. Would also keep an eye on the incoming recruiting class. Child’s has a history of putting freshman on attack who thrive from the start. Just ask the seniors...

At midfield, look for Ordakowski to step up. This kid will be the real deal. Absolute cannon when he has time and space as well as great vision. Reynolds will continue to provide the clutch goals when needed. Also don’t count out a big time shooter like Nate Johnny (played limited in 2019) with size to scratch the surface.

D, SSM, LSM. Losing Witchy and Beck will be huge but I also think Kennedy may have had the most eye popping season of them all. Staying out of the box is key yes but I also love some of the hits he dished out this year which would make me second guess coming across the crease looking for a layup. Lots of size on the defensive depth chart. Will be interesting to see if child’s moves Roman who has a nack for ground balls or Nation who has size and takes up passing lanes to D to give a more experienced look while the other anchors LSM. SSDM will be the strongest piece of the puzzle. All return in 2020 with O’Connell, “Q”, and Bruno leading the way.

Goalie... Michael played a heck of a year in goal as a freshman. Growing pains are always expected and he had them at times but kept him composure and performed when needed. Only expect him to get better. Who knows who is coming in, maybe more goalie competition will only make him better.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”