Head Coaching Rankings

NAIA Mens Lacrosse
laxtea69

Head Coaching Rankings

Post by laxtea69 »

Ranking NAIA HC’s
I’m using winning ability and recruiting to come to my list.
Not ranking club teams or future teams in this list.

1. Bryan Seaman (Indiana Tech) - Very smart and intelligent coach, well respected HC. His coaching staff and himself do a great job at recruiting and controlling the WHAC the past few seasons.

2. Pete Campbell (U. of Cumberlands) - Brings in some really good talent from places that not a lot of other teams are scouting from. Team has been pretty consistent the past few seasons.

3. Chris Burdick (Webber) - Heck of a recruiter and has a long history of coaching at the high level.

4. Patrick Johnson (Keiser) - Has a really good, talented squad. However, they are unpredictable and win some games they should lose and vice versa.

5. Luke Christiansen (William Penn) - How do you recruit to the middle of Iowa and still have a decent team? Good job to Luke and his coaching staff.

6. Kevin Parker (Tennessee Wesleyan) - Long time coach there at TWU, very average team throughout the years.

7. Chris Klaiber (Aquinas) - Solid team up in Michigan, should expect them to keep moving forward in the next few seasons if he sticks around.

8. Tyler Yelken (Reinhardt) - Obviously won the National Championship his first year, but rumor has it that he told his players to communicate to other great NAIA guys and try to persuade them to come join Reinhardt. Again, those are rumors but it’s shady and not how you recruit in the NAIA.

9. Jon Paul (St. Ambrose) - Younger coach, but has a lot of good experience.

10. Patrick Yannarelli (Lourdes) - Respected coach, honestly could be anywhere between 10-18

11. Seth Matlock (Ottawa) - Respected coach, honestly could be anywhere between 10-18

12. Spencer Macek (Siena Heights) - Respected coach, honestly could be anywhere between 10-18

13. Paul Nemzek (LTU) - Respected coach, honestly could be anywhere between 10-18

14. Bryan Habick (St. Andrews) - Respected coach, honestly could be anywhere between 10-18

15. Ian Wolfe (Columbia) - Respected coach, honestly could be anywhere between 10-18

16. Ty McGuire (Concordia AA) - Respected coach, honestly could be anywhere between 10-18

17. Carlos Matta (Madonna) - Respected coach, honestly could be anywhere between 10-18

18. Jason Watts (Dearborn) - Respected coach, honestly could be anywhere between 10-18

19. Billy Dineen (Benedictine) - New to Atchison after being at Midland the last two years, should have more success at Benedictine than Midland.

20. Keith Lohmuller (Montreat) - Brought Montreat back from the dead with stellar recruiting, but hasn’t yet played any NAIA games before but I think Montreat will be pretty decent moving forward. Probably should be a lot higher on this list, but needs to prove in on the field against the tough AAC conference.

21. Ryan Farr (Mount Vernon) - Has brought MVNU a long way, but still nothing special is happening there. Play a couple of mediocre D3 teams each year to help boost their record and get some recruits in.

22. Chad Newhard (Taylor) - Literally never coached lacrosse before coming to Taylor, he’s a baseball guy. Not saying he’s not a good coach, just limited lacrosse IQ I assume.

23. Mike Tyrrell (U. of Saint Mary) - Really great Canadian player, comes with some D1 and D2 assistant coaching experience. Should be a home run hire for USM.

24. Michael Song (Westcliff) - Elite high school coach in Texas, excited to see him at Westcliff

25. Matt Heinzerling-Wiese (Missouri Valley) - Recruits and adjusts well for his Alma Mater, expecting him to bring MVC back to life

26. Trey Whittemore (Missouri Baptist) - Reinhardt GA who should have some really good experience to bring to STL

27. Tucker LaBelle (Clarke) - Has a decent professional personality so he should recruit well, but not sold on him being a good coach. When he was a player his lacrosse IQ was low (took dumb shots, didn’t move to the right spots, etc.)

28. Jordan Coates (Point U.) - Helped save Point lacrosse. Coates didn't win any games his first year, but his team still fought strong.

29. Scott Linzley (SCAD) - Maybe an interim HC for the Bees

30. Keegan Matsukado (Multnomah) - Can’t recruit to have a team to even coach a game

31. VACANT (Midland)
Last edited by laxtea69 on Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DQKing

Re: Head Coaching Rankings

Post by DQKing »

Agreed on Luke Christiansen and William Penn -- 45 on the roster for this year is an accomplishment.
That being said, if I am a player or parent I have a huge concern that 4 years ago they had 24 incoming freshman and not a single one is still there.
There will always be turnover with the amount of freshman that come in but that is a glaring stat.

As far as Reinhardt goes rumors are rumors and what kid who likes where he goes isn't telling his friends "come here?'
laxtea69

Post by laxtea69 »

DQKing wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:20 am Agreed on Luke Christiansen and William Penn -- 45 on the roster for this year is an accomplishment.
That being said, if I am a player or parent I have a huge concern that 4 years ago they had 24 incoming freshman and not a single one is still there.
There will always be turnover with the amount of freshman that come in but that is a glaring stat.

As far as Reinhardt goes rumors are rumors and what kid who likes where he goes isn't telling his friends "come here?'
With WPU, they listed their rosters weirdly compared to others. Some of their current Juniors listed on their site were a part of that original freshman class. Not sure why they did that but I've watch a lot of their games since they started and they have retained about half of that freshman group.

I think that's a fair point about RU, but it's different when a player says that without being told by the coach to do it. If a coach tells you to tell other players from another programs, that's not right. That's maybe how he did it at the MCLA level, but it doesn't fly here.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

Fair point on WP -- I claim laziness and didn't dig that deep on roster names etc. just saw only one senior who was not on the roster four years ago.
Maybe Covid played into it and academically they are one level but athletically have an extra year of eligibility?
laxtea69

Post by laxtea69 »

DQKing wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:12 am Fair point on WP -- I claim laziness and didn't dig that deep on roster names etc. just saw only one senior who was not on the roster four years ago.
Maybe Covid played into it and academically they are one level but athletically have an extra year of eligibility?
I think you're exactly correct. I think since they all have that COVID year, the staff just put all their players who were freshmen that year, as freshmen again for the following season. Not sure on the logic behind it, because it does get very confusing.

Return to “NAIA MENS LACROSSE”