Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxxygilmore

Re: Navy 2019

Post by laxxygilmore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 am Agreed Healthy. Better conversation over some beers.

We are playing with house money vs. Cuse. No need to try and jam that square peg in the round hole this Saturday, aaa'gain. If I were Coach, this week would be all about "change".
You’re leaving out “hope”?
Nope, "hope", apparently is still part of Coach Sowell's Seven+ Season Sustainable Success System...
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/lacr ... story.html
“At the end of the day, that’s the $1 million question: how do you clean it up?” Sowell asked rhetorically. “It’s one of these things. We’re going to keep working on it. We’re doing a bunch of stickwork and just hope that at some point, it goes away. That’s all we can do.”
I like the chances that the Mids could pull off another upset of Syracuse for a second year in a row. It could be a head to head D contest this time between Coach Ryan Wellner's D and Coach Lelan Roger's D. Should be a good one....I hope.

Mids 9 - Orange 8
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

HealthyDebate wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:14 am I believe the fO game for Navy has taken steps forward. The wings seemed more engaged and active then games past. Nick Barry has emerged as the next Brady Dove and Joe Varello.
Ryan Kern is emerging as a consistent backdrop and etching his name in Navy goalie lure.
If we can roll over consistent defensive play like we have seen in spurts the past 2 games (in halves) and get the offense going again. I’m very hopeful for the next two games. I don’t care what stats say, when we want to play, we play. When we lose focus we get beat.

I’m open to being critical and I enjoy dissecting every part of Navy’s game. I see light when most see darkness. This doesn’t have the same feel of 2017 AT ALL.
Healthy,
I see the light too. I think that the whole Navy 2019 team has taken steps forward and continues to develop. It's early and I'm not giving up on the new season that starts on April 30th, but it is really hard to think that next year doesn't look really good. Kern and all of the D-poles and D-Mids are back, plus all of attack. I agree that Barry has played well and is a big surprise at FO, especially since Shockey's departure from NAPS created a glaring hole. Coach Sowell and Wellner filled that gap and the future at FO looks solid too. A couple of more seasons and he will be there alongside Dove and Varello. Need a couple of guys to really step up at midfield but everything else looks good.

Back to this week, it will be a huge test for Barry since Syracuse is not struggling at FO, as pointed out by other posts. I share your hope and believe that consistent defensive play will be a huge swing factor. If Navy can convert the recent strong spurts into a whole game, I think that it will be a tight game. Navy needs a strong defensive outing because Syracuse has several offensive guns and the offense will be facing one of the stronger defensive tests of the year. Plus, there is a huge dilemma with Navy's offense - Do you want to expand the bench to build game experience and keep the first line healthy for BU and the PL quarters or do you go with your horses?

Factoring in last year's loss, Syracuse comes out with a win. I would like to think differently but the upside is that it doesn't factor into the PL outlook. If I'm right, look for another quick update on Coach Sowell's record, the carping from the posse to escalate, and added "massive amounts of calls for change".

As you say, "I don’t care what stats say, when we want to play, we play. When we lose focus we get beat." I think that they want to play and they'll win if they play to their potential! I am looking for the Mids to not give up the ship and finish the season strong!
Fingers crossed that the rematch with Army happens.

Go Navy!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Regarding F/O's. Navy could benefit with some 3v3 specific coaching on wing positioning. If you watch the play, there is quite often more opposing jerseys around the loose ball than home jerseys. I know it is often a chaotic piece of the game, but tendencies provide standards that should be put into practice. There is also something with F/O men that seldom do a hard cradle after the GB to really set the ball in the pocket and pull it in close....too often we see (not just Navy guys) with hands lower on the shaft and not up on the plastic for the GB. Something to watch for during that scrum.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Exactly why face off wins doesn't really mean a whole lot (to me). As soon as the ball is in someone's stick that goes in the win column for the FOGO/team, when in reality the other team won the face off after all was said and done. There needs to be a different definition of win/possession in the face off battle.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Agreed DMAC...something like a FOGB stat. When you look at players like #6, #16, and #25 for Navy the bulk of them come from wing play. https://s3.amazonaws.com/navysports.com ... s_4_13.pdf

There is a story to tell somewhere in the stats below. Not sure exactly what it is other than Loyola attack have less GB's to pick up....less turnovers, which means more possessions, which typically means more Goals. I believe the D1 stats is a goal for every 2.5--3.5 GB's? One could also argue that Navy, having the most GB's, also turns it over a bunch....BUT has possession advantage AFTER the GB....I suppose because they take awhile to attack the cage those possessions off of GB's fall short?

I could argue, as did Evan Washburn during the A-N broadcast that Navy is not capitalizing on possession and slow to attack early in the clock. Maybe....just maybe, if the attacked faster, there would be less turnovers "trying" to force the ideal shot/schematic drawn up?

I say vs. Cuse, who likes to play faster and earlier in the possession, if we do the same and "play up to the their pace" we will perform better. Why?, because we are more fluid, not as scoutable, we like to assist, and players are not watching "their play" develop.

Navy
Daniel = 31
Cole = 20
Sweeney = 15
Combined = 66

BY comparasion:
Loyola
Pat Spencer = 27
Lindley = 12
Olmstead = 13
Combined = 52

Lehigh
Spence = 34
Tristan = 24
Kirst = 10
Combined = 68

Army
Nichtern = 24
Silva = 18
Jones = 20
Combined = 60
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

We are less than 48 hours until game one. The hay should be in the barn and the mental checks should be all completed by tmrw. What navy team shows up? The 4 qtr team or the qtr by qtr team?

Mids 10- Cuse 9
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

laxxygilmore wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:23 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:10 pm Now that the AD has secured the long term AAC FB contract, when does he ride off into the sunset ?
Probably not unless / until this "$5MM deficit" as reported by Capital Gazette is resolved?
https://www.capitalgazette.com/opinion/ ... story.html

July 13, 2018, 5:00AM

We have every confidence that the Naval Academy Athletic Association will work its way through its current financial shortcomings. We just wish they would be a bit more transparent about it. The association was set up to run the sports programs for the Naval Academy, a clever arrangement that allows it to benefit from both federal funding and private donations. It also creates a curtain behind which all sorts of things, salaries and incentives and other things, are hidden from public view.

The depth of the difficulties the NAAA is experiencing has been variously described as a $5 million deficit or a “course correction.” Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk denies there is a deficit, but admits the association is digging into its cash reserves. He described the situation in meetings with his staff as a need to generate $2.5 million in additional revenue and cut $2.5 million in spending. …
More to follow from CapGaz soon?
CHT is waiting for WOMBAT's $5MM check then all the problems are solved .

Fully Concur on the F/O post . Needs a better description than the current one .

GO NAVY , HAPPY EASTER , Beat 'Cuse

"T"
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Tecumseh wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:04 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:23 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:10 pm Now that the AD has secured the long term AAC FB contract, when does he ride off into the sunset ?
Probably not unless / until this "$5MM deficit" as reported by Capital Gazette is resolved?
https://www.capitalgazette.com/opinion/ ... story.html

July 13, 2018, 5:00AM

We have every confidence that the Naval Academy Athletic Association will work its way through its current financial shortcomings. We just wish they would be a bit more transparent about it. The association was set up to run the sports programs for the Naval Academy, a clever arrangement that allows it to benefit from both federal funding and private donations. It also creates a curtain behind which all sorts of things, salaries and incentives and other things, are hidden from public view.

The depth of the difficulties the NAAA is experiencing has been variously described as a $5 million deficit or a “course correction.” Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk denies there is a deficit, but admits the association is digging into its cash reserves. He described the situation in meetings with his staff as a need to generate $2.5 million in additional revenue and cut $2.5 million in spending. …
More to follow from CapGaz soon?
CHT is waiting for WOMBAT's $5MM check then all the problems are solved .

Fully Concur on the F/O post . Needs a better description than the current one .

GO NAVY , HAPPY EASTER , Beat 'Cuse

"T"
If CHT needs that, I’ll quote Neil Armstrong:

“Good luck, Mr. Gorsky!”
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

:lol:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Geez, we’re taking on water.

Abandon Ship.

FUSDAP
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

The Orange O is impressive indeed - especially considering 15 of their 18 goals were assisted. Looks like Coach Desko has his team peaking at just the right time for the ACCT.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

I am at a loss with this team. They just can’t seem to figure it out. One game season now, win and move on, lose and I’ll see you at the Golf Course. Something just seems off.

Credit Syracuse- an offense that shared the ball and a confident defense. That is a total team right there. Even with NAVY WINNING THE FO war they were able to overcome that, put the ball on the carpet and ply offense. Yes they got fluky balls to bounce there way but that’s what happens when you win, luck follows you. When your losing balls just don’t bounce your way. Navy isn’t getting those bounces.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

From the Peep-Art competition in Bancroft this past week:

Happy Easter everyone, and GO NAVY!

W
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

:shock:
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
“That’s just a really good, solid offense. They’ve got a lot of slick sticks and move the ball very well. They’re confident and they’ve got six guys out there that can shoot it,” Sowell said. “They’re excellent shooters and we’re not. We had some shots in that first half and just didn’t place them very well.”
“We just create ways to make silly mistakes that come back to haunt us. It’s definitely tough to take,” Sowell said.
“We’re finding ways to give up goals. It’s almost like you can’t make some of this stuff up,” Sowell said.
“Those guys are good and they took advantage of our sloppiness on defense,” Sowell said.

Coach didn't make any mention to CapGaz about his initial game plan strategy and tactic options to contain the Orange O and beat the Orange D...and what about the half time adjustment options after the first half learning experience? https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... tclaxpower ...nasty graph.

Are Coach's plans well researched / developed for #38 Navy to contain #20 BU's Gray-Burr-Ley...and to solve Christman along with Eddy-Ellerton-Levesque and McSorley? The Terriers taking a bite out of the Greyhounds @ 18-11 and the Mules before that @ 15-13 looms large, but the Mids can find a way to a W over those pesky Terriers.

Mids 9 - Terriers 8
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:07 am :shock:
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
“That’s just a really good, solid offense. They’ve got a lot of slick sticks and move the ball very well. They’re confident and they’ve got six guys out there that can shoot it,” Sowell said. “They’re excellent shooters and we’re not. We had some shots in that first half and just didn’t place them very well.”
“We just create ways to make silly mistakes that come back to haunt us. It’s definitely tough to take,” Sowell said.
“We’re finding ways to give up goals. It’s almost like you can’t make some of this stuff up,” Sowell said.
“Those guys are good and they took advantage of our sloppiness on defense,” Sowell said.

Coach didn't make any mention to CapGaz about his initial game plan strategy and tactic options to contain the Orange O and beat the Orange D...and what about the half time adjustment options after the first half learning experience? https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... tclaxpower ...nasty graph.

Are Coach's plans well researched / developed for #38 Navy to contain #20 BU's Gray-Burr-Ley...and to solve Christman along with Eddy-Ellerton-Levesque and McSorley? The Terriers taking a bite out of the Greyhounds @ 18-11 and the Mules before that @ 15-13 looms large, but the Mids can find a way to a W over those pesky Terriers.

Mids 9 - Terriers 8
Great photo laxxy!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I still like this one too:

So, who’s having the biggest dumpster fire this year, Navy or Hopkins?
SonnySide

Post by SonnySide »

Sorry to rehash the topic from the previous page - But I am an alum that had the opportunity to play for both Coach Reppert and Coach Phipps. Does anyone know the real reason both of them decided to leave? Reppert was an alum for crying out loud. I know that both of them would have loved to have been able to stay on the yard if they would have been given the same opportunities they currently have at Maryland and Georgetown. What a shame. It is certainly frustrating to see both of them thrive with their offense, and Navy continue to struggle offensively.

I know a lot of you want to just look at the future - so maybe it is time to try something else, take a little humble pie, and turn the offense over to an assistant? Would Spencer Parks be that guy? These stats are mind boggling (especially when you consider we have a trio of Torain, Wade, and Daniel).

Goals per Game:
Georgetown 14.2 (7th in country)
Maryland 13.2 (15th)
Navy 10.41 (55th)

Assists per Game:
Maryland 8.58 (8th)
Georgetown 8.54 (9th)
Navy 6.64 (33rd)

Turnovers per Game:
Georgetown 13.62 (1st)
Maryland 14.83 (11th)
Navy 18.27 (56th)

EMO %:
Georgetown 41% (14th)
Navy 32% (50th)
Maryland 28% (54th)

Shooting %:
Maryland 34% (4th)
Georgetown 33% (6th)
Navy 27% (52nd)
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:43 am I still like this one too:

So, who’s having the biggest dumpster fire this year, Navy or Hopkins?
That is a WOMBAT Classics Collection indeed!
This is another one from the WOMBAT Classics Collection...
:D
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

SonnySide wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 pm Sorry to rehash the topic from the previous page - But I am an alum that had the opportunity to play for both Coach Reppert and Coach Phipps. Does anyone know the real reason both of them decided to leave? Reppert was an alum for crying out loud. I know that both of them would have loved to have been able to stay on the yard if they would have been given the same opportunities they currently have at Maryland and Georgetown. What a shame. It is certainly frustrating to see both of them thrive with their offense, and Navy continue to struggle offensively.

I know a lot of you want to just look at the future - so maybe it is time to try something else, take a little humble pie, and turn the offense over to an assistant? Would Spencer Parks be that guy? These stats are mind boggling (especially when you consider we have a trio of Torain, Wade, and Daniel).

Goals per Game:
Georgetown 14.2 (7th in country)
Maryland 13.2 (15th)
Navy 10.41 (55th)

Assists per Game:
Maryland 8.58 (8th)
Georgetown 8.54 (9th)
Navy 6.64 (33rd)

Turnovers per Game:
Georgetown 13.62 (1st)
Maryland 14.83 (11th)
Navy 18.27 (56th)

EMO %:
Georgetown 41% (14th)
Navy 32% (50th)
Maryland 28% (54th)

Shooting %:
Maryland 34% (4th)
Georgetown 33% (6th)
Navy 27% (52nd)
I've had this typed up since Sunday...was waiting for the negative silliness to expire after everyone got back to work and started killing time on this forum.

SonnySIde - very astute observation and my take follows along those lines. Appreciate the conversation staying on topic.

We need an O-coordinator, much like Van Arsdale for Toomey, Kirwin for Tiffany, Brown for TIerney. A trusted adviser to the HC that is given full reign to develop the offense. We have that in Wellner for Defense, it is clear that model works. We lost Reppert and Phipps already and that was likely the result of being under utilized and under valued. I am not saying RS does not have the ability to be that guy....but he has shown via of the model put on the field, that his way is not working. It is time to either allow one of the others on staff, Parks or Camposa to be "that guy", otherwise we will lose them as well.

The challenge would be the willingness to give full control or maybe said a different way, allow full control of the offense. It is clear as day that our offense has faltered and it is not because of the players capabilities being limited, they all know they are stuck on the hamster wheel and internally banging their head against the wall like Homer Simpson, knowing there is a chain of command to follow.

If Chet would like, he can PM me and I will send in offensive plays and/or send me film to break down. I'll do it for free, I will only ask for free gear and an open tab at the O-Club, and maybe a couple tickets to Football games in the club section. I will then consult w/people smarter than me and we will turn around a report in 36-48 hours. :lol:

EDIT: Corrected spelling
Last edited by youthathletics on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Livy
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

heyy navy, so if you beat BU this friday, does this mean you potentially get to face army again in the PLT?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”