Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2019

Post by youthathletics »

Healthy - where is Kerns interview?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

New week- new opportunity.
Who do we want to be?
Face off game is getting on track.
If the defense that played the second half (and some of the first) shows up and Kern is Kern than that should be a chip off the old block of defenses of years past. We should be in the fight with a good Syracuse team.

I’m predicting a 11-9 Navy win. Only 2 more home games for this senior class. Let’s go 2-0.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

old salt wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:40 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:54 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:15 pm The Orfling: I have zero connection to Navy and have never posted. I’m a Loyola fan but mostly I like good lacrosse. I watched the Army game today. I certainly mean no disrespect but the Navy team I saw today was as bad a team in D1 I’ve ever seen. Let’s skip past the dropped passes and failed clears. What was stunning to me is Navy waited on most control offensive possessions to about 10 seconds left on the shot clock to do something. It was insanely bad coaching. And I have no dog in the hunt here. If you watch this game you’ll be stunned Army didn’t win by a dozen or more.
Thanks, Peter. It sounds like it would have been frustrating for me to watch as a Navy fan. It's always hard to get a sense of the game from the box score, but from the paper record it looks like Navy's goaltender stood on his head and kept them in it; that they had a solid ride (Army failed on 6 clears per box score); and the edge of face-offs, but were outshot, had a very long fallow stretch on offense with a goose egg second quarter, and a lot of turnovers (22 to 17 for Army).
Good call Peter & Iguana. That was one of the most frustrating Navy games I've ever witnessed.
It woke up this dozing frog.

That the game went to overtime is a testament to one of the best performances I've ever seen by a Navy goalie,
& the raw athleticism (e.g. ride), skill & uncoordinated efforts of a great bunch of young warriors who would not quit.
Barry won 14 of 20 FO's, yet Navy was outshot 48 to 35. Kern made 18 saves: Barretto only had to stop 9.
So much talent & potential -- squandered. Turn the heat up & put this old frog out of his misery.
Agreed old salt...you nailed it. Kudos to Gk Kern indeed with his 18svs...a "career day" vs. Army...reminded me of Gk Connors vs. Brown in 2016 with his 21svs...both those efforts derailed what could have been "20 something to less than 10" routs by Navy's opponents if not for their stellar results. Once again the "W-L when Navy scores 9g or less", as well as the "W-L one goal games" and "W-L vs. the Top 30" bugs have bitten Coach Sowell and the Mids during the 7+ seasons Sowell era 2012-2019...

Overall vs. Army Games W-L***********************4-6/.400…including 9-8 L vs. #18 Army in 2019.
(Outscored overall by Army 97-78 or 9.7 to 7.8 avg./gm)
PLT Army Games W-L*******************************0-2/.000
(Outscored Overall in PLT by Army 20-10 or 10.0 to 5.0 avg./gm…L’s to Army in PLT when it mattered most...maybe a possible PLT payback rematch in 2019?)

One Goal Games W-L*****************************11-15/.423
(Including 9-8 L vs. #18 Army in 2019)

9 Goals Scored or Less by Navy W-L*************10-49/.169
(Including 14-9 L vs. #3 Maryland; 18-5 L vs. #7 Loyola; 15-8 L vs. #24 Lehigh; 12-9 upset L vs. #31 Holy Cross and 9-8 L vs. #18 Army in 2019)

Vs. “Top 30” teams so far in 2019 @ 0-5/.000
(Rankings based on Massey)
#3 Maryland (Maryland W @ 14-9)
#25 Princeton (Princeton W @ 19-11)
#7 Loyola (Loyola W @ 18-5)
#24 Lehigh (Lehigh W @ 15-8)
#18 Army (Army W @ 9-8)
#35 Navy being outscored by the above by an average score of 15.0 to 8.2 (or 6.8g/gm) so far in 2019, with #6 Syracuse; #22 Boston remaining from that “Top 30” group on the Navy 2019 regular season schedule.
Is a “2-0 run” possible for the remaining regular season schedule?...yes, it’s just that these are both far better teams than the “Bottom 43” and that will indeed be a test to improve from the 0-5/.000 record vs. “Top 30” teams in 2019. So we’ll see in the next couple of weeks ahead.

Coach Sowell’s overall Navy record from 2012-2019 to date vs. “Top 30” teams is now at 20-47/.298, within his overall W-L @ 53-55/.490 record for the past 7+ seasons (108 games) to date, including 2019’s regular season record @ 5-6/.454 as of 4-14-19.
(Including 0-8/.000 vs. Maryland from 2012-2019)...that “Reppert Factor” is still a factor for Coach Sowell since 2015 into 2019)
(Including 1-5/.166 vs. Hopkins from 2012-2017…Hopkins dropped after 2017…will Hopkins ever be back vs. Navy during Coach Sowell’s tenure?)
(Including 1-5/.166 vs. Loyola from 2014-2019)
Record alone vs. Maryland + Hopkins + Loyola (aka, “Top 20” teams within “Top 30” from 2012-2019) totals @ 2-18/.100 of the 20-47/.298 overall within vs. “Top 30” teams from 2012-2019 to date.

IMHO, this really makes the Navy Faithful wonder how the Mids Team O could have truly improved if either former Navy assistant coaches JL Reppert or Michael Phipps had stayed at Navy and were provided the same kind of offensive coaching opportunities they have at Maryland and Georgetown respectively instead of Navy's O continuing to be under the full command and control of Coach Sowell for the past 7+ seasons.

That 16-13 #3 Maryland vs. #23 Rutgers win by the Terps last night was a good one at Rutgers. Once again, the Terps Team O, led by former Navy assistant JL Reppert, engineered a second half 10g offensive production that was impressive indeed vs. the stout Rutgers Team D and #4 Gk @ .585 svs. Coach Reppert continues to coach and develop the Terps team O to the tune of 13.4g/gm (64.0% assisted) in 2019. Such as loss of offense coaching intellect and skill for the Mids.

Kudos to Michael Phipps too for his efforts in the 16-13 #17 Georgetown vs. #16 Villanova win for the Hoyas this past weekend too. Even that 16-14 #7 Loyola vs. #17 Hoyas win by Loyola last Tuesday evening from Ridley was solid for the Hoya O. Even in the loss, kudos to former Navy assistant Coach Phipps for his impressive Team O coaching efforts in that game vs. Loyola’s #18 Team D @ 9.9ga/gm and #5 Gk @ .583 svs, with the Hoyas ringing up 14g on the Hounds home field to boot too.

Watching that Hounds vs. Hoyas game, and G’town games of the past two seasons in general, makes it clear that Coach Phipps departure from Navy after the 2017 season was also a loss for the Mids indeed…no different than JL Reppert’s unfortunate departure from Navy after the 2014 season for Maryland…that “Reppert Factor” is real vs. Navy under Coach Sowell. Considering the goals production results Coach Phipps is leading G’town to achieve with their Team O @ 13.3g/gm (61.9% assisted) so far in 2019 and 12.3g/gm overall (60.1% assisted) for 2018 & 2019 combined, he would have made a significant difference for Navy in their 18-5 gobsmack loss to Loyola back on 3/16/19 at Ridley. Maybe a possible 2019 PLT match-up will be payback time for Navy vs. Loyola?

I wonder if G’town will ever get back on the Navy regular season schedule again during the Coach Sowell era since being dropped after 2014. The Navy Faithful miss those Georgetown and Johns Hopkins games…and Towson too. The fact that Coach Sowell’s W-L results vs. those three teams from 2012-2017 is only 4-8/.333, is all the more reason to keep them on the Navy regular season schedules ahead for annual shots to even-up the W-L record, especially with each being so proximate to Annapolis, and also since a weekday / weeknight option is possible to help the scheduling logistics overall as well.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

I’m not going to debate assistant coaches etc. both those men were great people but they are no longer here. Let’s rally behind this group of players and the program.
This senior class has 2 games left to cement there legacy.

As for some of you complaining why don’t you do something about it besides posting records etc I highly doubt the AD and his admin are reading this forum. If your connected to the program and NAAA you would know people who can influence that. If not then let’s support what we have and get 2 more wins. We have it in HS.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Agreed Healthy. Better conversation over some beers.

We are playing with house money vs. Cuse. No need to try and jam that square peg in the round hole this Saturday, aaa'gain. If I were Coach, this week would be all about "change".
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 am Agreed Healthy. Better conversation over some beers.

We are playing with house money vs. Cuse. No need to try and jam that square peg in the round hole this Saturday, aaa'gain. If I were Coach, this week would be all about "change".
You’re leaving out “hope”?
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

HealthyDebate wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 am I’m not going to debate assistant coaches etc. both those men were great people but they are no longer here. Let’s rally behind this group of players and the program.

As for some of you complaining why don’t you do something about it besides posting records etc I highly doubt the AD and his admin are reading this forum. If your connected to the program and NAAA you would know people who can influence that. If not then let’s support what we have and get 2 more wins. We have it in HS.
youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 am Agreed Healthy. Better conversation over some beers.

Healthy and Youth,
Great points and thanks for moving the focus to the future. Debates about former coaches (either OCs or a HC) and what could have been if they stayed are so hypothetical. Instead of carping, let's take Youth's advice and embrace the rare opportunity in our lives to watch Navy play lacrosse. To echo Healthy's point, it is doubtful that the AD and Athletic Department reads this forum or even heard all of the negative commentary on CBS. But boy, did it seem biased against Navy even though Navy clearly outplayed Army in the second half?

The focus should be on the Navy 2019 team and the future is a bright one. It is a young team and they showed tons of character against Army. They didn't give up the ship when they were down by three twice, including early in the 3Q, and some calls weren't going their way. Lead by Kern, the defense stepped up and face-offs were a clear bright spot at 14 for 20 (5 for 5 in 4Q). Navy won the second half by 5-2 and even had a chance to win it at the end! It was exciting to watch and a building experience for this young team. The second half showed that Navy can play with Army and it will come in handy if they meet them in the PL tourney.

Let's see the second half performance carry over to the rest of the season. Only two weeks to go but looking for a solid finish. This week is a tough one and Syracuse will probably want to avenge last year's loss. But it is probably a good opportunity to embrace change and look beyond the horses that might be tired after last week's epic battle. The second line midfield looked a bit lost out there last Saturday so it might be an opportune time to see what other players can do on the field for more than one or two shifts. It would certainly help to have some added game experience under their belts and build some confidence with BU and an opening PL tourney game looming.

Making the PL tourney seems likely since Bucknell has to win out to knock out Navy. Beating Lehigh this week is a tall order for Bucknell since Lehigh probably would like to host the PL tourney. Winning out and a Loyola loss to Army is the most likely way for Lehigh to host. As I see it, Navy and Holy Cross have the edge if there is a multi-way tie at 3-5 with either Colgate or Bucknell. Holy Cross is 5 and Navy is 6 if Colgate is involved and Navy is 5 and Holy Cross is 6 if Bucknell is involved. Holy Cross has the toughest schedule with BU and Lehigh, but they move up into the 4 slot with two wins and 5 slot with one win. In a two-way tie for the 6 slot, Navy still has the edge over Bucknell and Colgate. As seen in past years, nothing is certain in the PL tourney.

Have fun watching this week. I know that I will.
Go Navy!
Last edited by laxpere on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
LandM

Post by LandM »

First I am glad that someone(s) found a way to revive this and that Wombat has achieved his Moderator status/goal or is that still a fascination? As I read the 15 pages of history, reminds me of the old comfortable shoes that you never throw out.

Watched the game. Tough loss. The commentator that said the face-off was not going to be a factor in the game must be eating his words. The Navy defense had a lapse for a bit but Kern played unbelievable and defense stepped back up and frustrated Army. Interesting game to watch…….Army should have won it by a dozen but it was a great finish. Never be a “been brother”. Your athletes laid it all out, credit to them. Navy offense is baffling, I have a history through my son with RS and Wellner. Wellner is a good man and was key to the 2010 SBU ride IMHO from long ago. Never played lax, watched a ton of it…….your guys are way too stiff, need to have some fun. In life, it is just a game even in a 100 year-old match-up and the biggest of the season. Good things happen after you shake the nerves, relax and play.

BTW you guys will need to give some love to the Boys in Blue – considering that disaster, they are doing pretty well this year. Traveling to the house in CO this year by car, first time, we stopped by the alma mater to see my best friend who is buried on the grounds, died at 24 in an F-4. Spouse says she wants to see the stadium where I played, she looks at stadium and says that could fit into the club section we sit in at PSU. Sometimes folks need to learn you go to an Academy for other reasons that do not include the NFL or MLL or whatever professional sport you want to play.

Here is to hopefully a good ending to what I am sure for many has been an interesting and frustrating season - fans, players and coaches.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

HealthyDebate wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 am I’m not going to debate assistant coaches etc. both those men were great people but they are no longer here. Let’s rally behind this group of players and the program.
Fully agree Healthy , Both are truly excellent coaches but even greater people.

I'd love for us to get Georgetown and Hopkins back on our schedule . Playing the HOYAs is so much more logical than playing Vermont or some other far away team earlier on in the season.

I can assure you that NAAA leadership , Alumni Association leadership , the Supes' senior staff , Navy Equipment , The Color guys at ESPN , VONL , CBS's Evan Washburn ( an Annapolis native who is very close with a number of MLAX Alums who are his contemporaries ) , Bill Wagner , Ed Lee , Christian S. the other IL staff all read this Navy thread and know the animus surrounding the program. In fact a number of them are active posters :shock: .

You nailed the issue , that's the AD . He knows that all his MLAX wealthy donors totally dried up several years ago due to his handling of the Meade wrongful termination and that he has simply moved on to worry about the other sports on the Yard that have donors that will write checks.. Despite the massive amount of calls for change , he ignores it and will continue to IMHO. I beat the drum for change for the amazing Mids on this team and future teams. I know they will speak truth to power during the postseason debriefs . I know that LAXXY can speak directly to that issue where he is a subject matter expert.

Everyone concurs that CHT made an amazing hire with Cindy "T" and she most likely will win a National Championship in the future.

Great point on house money - knocking off both 'Cuse and BU will be a fitting ending to the season and a great way for these amazing Firsties to go out. 'Cuse has been having it's problems facing off and i believe we can dominate there . Taking care of the ball and limiting turnovers is job #1 . I know we can score. I love the concept of being the heart breaker for the last two games of the season. I have zero doubt that we will make the P/L Tourney , then its a whole new season :!:

GO NAVY , Crush the Orange

"T"
Last edited by Tecumseh on Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Great post, LandM!

(And The Mod thing is a running joke. Even though I won the bet, I wasn’t granted status. I would have seen too many skeletons in the closet, I guess!)

Go Navy!
W
old salt

Post by old salt »

Now that the AD has secured the long term AAC FB contract, when does he ride off into the sunset ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Back on topic..most likely a strange feeling for the Varello Family this Saturday as they cheer on their son for Syracuse. What a memory they must have after the game last season in the dome to witness two sons battling each other, in D1 Lacrosse, at the same position, for two storied programs on the big stage.

It is more than a game, it is a family.
~Livy
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Tecumseh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:10 pm
Fully agree Healthy , Both are truly excellent coaches but even greater people.

I can assure you that NAAA leadership , Alumni Association leadership , the Supes' senior staff , Navy Equipment , The Color guys at ESPN , VONL , CBS's Evan Washburn ( an Annapolis native who is very close with a number of MLAX Alums who are his contemporaries ) , Bill Wagner , Ed Lee , Christian S. the other IL staff all read this Navy thread and know the animus surrounding the program. In fact a number of them are active posters :shock: .

You nailed the issue , that's the AD . He knows that all his MLAX wealthy donors totally dried up several years ago due to his handling of the Meade wrongful termination and that he has simply moved on to worry about the other sports on the Yard that have donors that will write checks.. Despite the massive amount of calls for change , he ignores it and will continue to IMHO. I beat the drum for change for the amazing Mids on this team and future teams. I know they will speak truth to power during the postseason debriefs . I know that LAXXY can speak directly to that issue where he is a subject matter expert.
Tecumseh,
I didn't realize that the Navy 2019 forum had so much clout behind it. Thanks for highlighting that there is a posse and you are fighting the former coach's battle and calling for massive change. Am I hearing you right that you think that Coach Sowell should be replaced? Since the AD isn't listening to you and ignoring your posts, you've withdrawn your financial support for the Navy Lacrosse program? You're entitled to your view, but it always helps to understand why someone is grinding their axe.

It's good that your moral support is there for current and future Mids. It is a tough place and they need support from every corner. Glad that you also think that the PL tourney is a lock. Not sure that Navy can play spoiler over the next two weeks since it looks like BU and Syracuse are also playing with house money, but I can't wait to move onto the whole new season in two weeks. There were many positives last Saturday, and I am crossing my fingers that Navy plays Army on April 30th. Why? I think that Navy will not be surprised if Surdick covers Wade, and they have a great chance to beat Army in a rematch if they stay healthy and clean up the mistakes! Hopefully, it will be a replay of the 2016 season and Navy will avenge a one-goal PL season loss in the PL tourney.

Go Navy!
Last edited by laxpere on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:31 pm Back on topic..most likely a strange feeling for the Varello Family this Saturday as they cheer on their son for Syracuse. What a memory they must have after the game last season in the dome to witness two sons battling each other, in D1 Lacrosse, at the same position, for two storied programs on the big stage.

It is more than a game, it is a family.
Completely agree. The post game photo was incredibly moving. It was much more than a game. What a great moment for the Varello family. And NCAA Lacrosse and Navy too.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

'Cuse has been having it's problems facing off and i believe we can dominate there .

Phaup is ranked 9th nationally @ 65% this season and Varello has come on the last few games when he's gotten some opportunities and is over 50% for the season so I'm not sure how you think they're having problems, it's actually been a strength compared to last year.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

old salt wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:10 pm Now that the AD has secured the long term AAC FB contract, when does he ride off into the sunset ?
Probably not unless / until this "$5MM deficit" as reported by Capital Gazette is resolved?
https://www.capitalgazette.com/opinion/ ... story.html

July 13, 2018, 5:00AM

We have every confidence that the Naval Academy Athletic Association will work its way through its current financial shortcomings. We just wish they would be a bit more transparent about it. The association was set up to run the sports programs for the Naval Academy, a clever arrangement that allows it to benefit from both federal funding and private donations. It also creates a curtain behind which all sorts of things, salaries and incentives and other things, are hidden from public view.

The depth of the difficulties the NAAA is experiencing has been variously described as a $5 million deficit or a “course correction.” Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk denies there is a deficit, but admits the association is digging into its cash reserves. He described the situation in meetings with his staff as a need to generate $2.5 million in additional revenue and cut $2.5 million in spending. …
More to follow from CapGaz soon?
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

I believe the fO game for Navy has taken steps forward. The wings seemed more engaged and active then games past. Nick Barry has emerged as the next Brady Dove and Joe Varello.
Ryan Kern is emerging as a consistent backdrop and etching his name in Navy goalie lure.
If we can roll over consistent defensive play like we have seen in spurts the past 2 games (in halves) and get the offense going again. I’m very hopeful for the next two games. I don’t care what stats say, when we want to play, we play. When we lose focus we get beat.

I’m open to being critical and I enjoy dissecting every part of Navy’s game. I see light when most see darkness. This doesn’t have the same feel of 2017 AT ALL.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Pensky Material wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:23 pm
'Cuse has been having it's problems facing off and i believe we can dominate there .

Phaup is ranked 9th nationally @ 65% this season and Varello has come on the last few games when he's gotten some opportunities and is over 50% for the season so I'm not sure how you think they're having problems, it's actually been a strength compared to last year.
Was going to respond to Tecumseh before I saw your post, your 100% spot on. Syracuse has been outstanding this year at the X, Phaup has been at about 70% until Sat when he did struggle against UNC and SU went to Varello who came in and won his first 10 draws in a row. SU has been one of the better Faceoff teams in the country, no idea what he's talking about as far as SU struggling.

His other point about Navy being able to score is questionable as well. Navy hasn't exceeded 9 goals against any of the top 20 opponents they have faced this year. I certainly don't think this will be a cakewalk for SU but based on last year it's hard to see how SU looks past Navy especially with how well SU is playing defensively right now.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not only have Phaup and Varello been pretty darn good, they bring Kennedy and Fernadez to help them out a little bit. I don't think there are two better wing men you can bring to that battle. Face offs has not been a weakness for the Cuse this year.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

(Stats from NCAA.com and Massey 4-15-19 for 2019 so far)

CATEGORY******#6 SYRACUSE*********#34 NAVY

W-L********************8-3/.727**************5-6/.454
SOS********************* #5*********************#28

Scoring O*******#17 @ 12.6g/gm*******#52 @ 10.5g/gm
Scoring D*******#13 @ 9.7ga/gm*******#41 @ 11.5ga/gm
Margin**********#11 @ +2.9g/gm********#48 @ -1.0g/gm

Man-Up O*******#7 @ .450****************#50 @ .321
Man-Dn D*******#32 @ .667***************#68 @ .531

FO*****************#11 @ .607**************#34 @ .500
GB*****************#6 @ 36.7/gm*********#31 @ 31.9/gm

CT****************#22 @ 9.0/gm**********#66 @ 6.4/gm
CLRG************#16 @ .866****************#64 @ .789
TO***************#6 @ 14.1/gm***********#56 @ 18.2/gm

Avg. Rank********#13.2**********************#48.9

Mids 9 – Orange 8 … a battle of the D’s at NMCMS between Ryan Wellner & Lelan Rogers.
The Sowell led Mids improve their W-L record vs. "Top 30" teams in 2019 to 1-5/.166 and for 2012-2019 to 21-47/.308
Last edited by laxxygilmore on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”