Connecticut 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
Young Warrior

Re: Connecticut 2019

Post by Young Warrior »

Chesedice wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:03 am Greenwich has two offensive players to focus on; 1 Atk (Feda) and 1 Mid (Large) and no fogo. If the highly touted defense , can’t stop a team with 2 offensive players, what are they going to do when they face a team with 4 or more? Im in ctbag’s camp .... I see Wilton as a team that could go .500 this season.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you - I think only 2 of the goals were even strength last night - but be that as it may, I still come back to 6 goals allowed should be enough to win. If you cant get 7 or more goals your biggest issues are elsewhere. Don't know where to find a complete list of scores but Inside Lacrosse has a database / listing. There are no winners in CT this year w 6 or less goals. But elite D or not, looking like the rest of the cupboard is bare in Wilton.

Since you dont seem sold on WIlton's D who do you think has an elite / better D in CT? Not defensive (pun intended) about my kid, he's gone, just curious who you think is better - quite possible Wilton D will have 2 and maybe 3 first team all state players this year (inc G).

Anyone have color on NC / StA? I still feel NC will end up being the team to beat this year.
random observer

Post by random observer »

I'll wait until NC wins a game before I crown them frontrunner. St. Anthony's might be the best team in the nation, but I still expected a bit more from the Rams. They have a seasoned, senior-laden defense and yet the Friars were able to get to the middle of the field for high percentage shots whenever they wanted. New Canaan has always struggled with St. Anthony's and saved their best stuff for Darien, so I'm sure improvements will be made, but there's a lot of work to be done. I would put them behind Darien and Fairfield Prep in the pecking order right now for sure.

Darien handled Ridgefield surprisingly easily on Friday. Like NC against St. A's, Ridgefield's defense was unable to protect the middle of the field. It seemed like every Darien goal was a righty or lefty sweep across the middle where the shooter had the entire frame of the goal to pick their spot from. At least in the Tigers' case, they are working in a lot of new guys (including a freshman LSM -- the Ridgefield freshman class as a whole is outstanding). Darien's offense looks very different this year after graduating a steady stream of alpha attackmen. They have a deep midfield and are operating primarily from up top and on the wings.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I’m not a Connecticut guy (the dreaded MIAA guy lurking on other boards!), so I just wanted to say publicly that Random Observer is a very astute lacrosse guy. And writes very well. St Anthony’s is a team I know simply because two of my friends have sons on the team. I don’t know much about Brunswick or Salisbury however I will echo Random’s comments: absolutely no one this year will ‘wreck’ the Friars. They are as good as they have ever been with two notable improvements this year: their FOGO slot is great, and there is no more I in their team. Those guys are playing like a team. If that holds, and it might not (these kids are after all kids still), I’m not sure anyone will beat them this year.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Random,

I'm with you, seems early to pick NC as the leader, but I'll give them credit for a challenging opening schedule. To be honest, not a lot of choices for the top, it feels a bit more wide open than in past years. While Darien and NC and Prep are all good, I don't know that they are heads and shoulders above everyone else. I almost wonder if a team like Glastonbury could sneak up on the FCIAC teams this year. They did just beat Staples, but I don't know enough about them.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

DuckLax wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:23 pm
PrimeTime21 said: Drake for Bury and Moore for Wick are both better than O’Neill as lefty scorers.
:roll: kinda hard to take ANYTHING you say seriously after than comment. Have you ever even seen On'Neil play in person? I doubt it since there's not any real comparison. Don't get me wrong the other two are great athletes, but better than O'neil. :lol:

I would suggest you bookmark your quote so you can look back at it 2 yrs from now after two of those three have been playing together on the same D1 team for even just half a season (so easy to compare contirbutions) and see how far off base you are.........
First, I am a West1 guy and have been for a while. With that said, O'neil is probably the best player in the nation regardless of class and I think most people would agree. But maybe not. I have seen him and all of Bury's kids play many times. To me its not really close. And that is no disrespect to the other kids. They are very good. But O'neil is just a different cat that you maybe see every 10 years or so.

The comment about the two mids for wick and Bury are embarrassingly incorrect. Drake is very good. But he is pressing just to be the best mid on that team. That is no disrespect to him. He is their best mid, but not by much. I will take O'neil vs Drake any day, or over any kid on the Wick or Bury team. I don't think Wick or Bury would roll over St. A's. I think they would be very good games.

I see this alot, where certain players just get talked about alot, but are over talked about. They then do two good things in a game and someone like ty xanders acts as though they are gods. When a bunch of other kids not as notable are scoring and doing great things as well. It usually all pans out when they get to college. Bottom line, there are a bunch of very good players. But someone like O'neil is one of the few that really does stand out.

Whoever said that no one gave Haverford any credit, that is not true. Go back and look at all of the posts. Haverford put more of a press at the end that worked, and won about every faceoff.
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

Looks like the founder of LP is opening a new site. Sent out an email notification this morning.
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

An interesting cross-regional game- Wilton is hosting Mercer Island from Washington state today. Mercer Island is probably the best team in Washington this season, and always in the top 5. It looks like they lost to Yorktown 13-10 on Tuesday, which was closer than I would have guessed. I don’t have an affiliation with MI but as a Washington resident from New England it’s always interested to get a read on how the west coast teams fare when they travel east.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Couple of interesting games in CT today (plus one on the island) -

Brunswick @ New Canaan at 4pm
Never count out the boys from Farm Rd, but given the thumping 'wick has been putting on their opponents this year, i think Chip's guys will have their work cut out for them against 'wick. There's a lot of familiarity between the 'wick and NC boys from their eclipse summers, so I would expect 'wick to have a good plan for keeping Q in check.

Wilton @ Prep at 7pm
Been a rough go thus far for Wilton, with four straight 1-goal losses (JJ, NC, G'wich, Mercer). On paper it doesnt look that exciting of a match up, but Wilton is probably the best 1-4 team in the northeast. This will be another tough test for Wilton. Even though Prep has had an easy path so far this year, I have a sneaking suspicion that 2019 could be Prep's year. Wilton's two studs on D should stack up well against Grandolfo and the rest of the Prep attack, but not sure Wilton can hang up and down the field. And no rest for the weary in Wilton, as their murderers row of a schedule has them up against Darien and Chaminade (the first team to make O'Neill's StA's squad look like mere mortals) next week, which means that by this time next week I could be contemplating referring to Wilton as the "best 1-7 team in the northeast".

Darien @ Manhassett 2pm
Will be a good test for the Wave out on the island. Manhassett has beaten CSH and JJ handily, and fought to a 1 goal loss to StAs a week or so ago (although not quite as impressive as it was before Chaminade stomped the friars), so they are legit. Typically hard to bet against Coach B and the "program", but i think the boys from strongisland may prevail in this one.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

Wick brutalizing NC second year in a row. Wick up 12-5. Buzzeo should realize his program isn’t on national elite level. Don’t schedule St A, Wick out of conference
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Prep 10
Wilton 6

Really entertaining game. Wilton's defense is talented, but Prep had too many weapons and their stars came to play...
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Interesting year in L this year. No dominant team, makes it more interesting. Darien, NC, Prep. Maybe Glastonbury? Staples? Guess if Wilton could figure out how to score goals I would put them in the list of potential winners, but we haven’t seen that yet.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

PT21 Said: Wick brutalizing NC second year in a row. Wick up 12-5. Buzzeo should realize his program isn’t on national elite level. Don’t schedule St A, Wick out of conference
I guess the view is pretty frikking clear from up on your high horse PT. With that mentality I guess the boys from 'wick should just stay home and play with themselves since NO ONE seems able to keep up with them this year. Probably not worth the gas for the wick parent's range rovers and (fill in the trendy italian car du jour here) to travel all the way to NC, let alone Simsbury or Avon if their kid is a starter since they know it wont be much of a game. :roll:

Scary thing is if you look at the game summary, and see the names of the underclass kids contributing for 'wick in that game, your realize these guys are gonna be stacked for years to come.

I give NC a lot of credit for playing 'wick, knowing that its pretty damn hard to compete against the all-star team that is Brunswick. And by the way, if you take out the 2nd quarter, its a three goal game, so it wasnt like it was a 4-quarter bloodbath. Plus imagine if you gave Chip the ability to pull even 4 additional players from surrounding towns to play for the rams.....but thats a whole 'nother discussion.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

DuckLax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:39 pm
PT21 Said: Wick brutalizing NC second year in a row. Wick up 12-5. Buzzeo should realize his program isn’t on national elite level. Don’t schedule St A, Wick out of conference
I guess the view is pretty frikking clear from up on your high horse PT. With that mentality I guess the boys from 'wick should just stay home and play with themselves since NO ONE seems able to keep up with them this year. Probably not worth the gas for the wick parent's range rovers and (fill in the trendy italian car du jour here) to travel all the way to NC, let alone Simsbury or Avon if their kid is a starter since they know it wont be much of a game. :roll:

Scary thing is if you look at the game summary, and see the names of the underclass kids contributing for 'wick in that game, your realize these guys are gonna be stacked for years to come.

I give NC a lot of credit for playing 'wick, knowing that its pretty damn hard to compete against the all-star team that is Brunswick. And by the way, if you take out the 2nd quarter, its a three goal game, so it wasnt like it was a 4-quarter bloodbath. Plus imagine if you gave Chip the ability to pull even 4 additional players from surrounding towns to play for the rams.....but thats a whole 'nother discussion.
No high horse. I might want NC to do well, ever think of that? As you clearly point out due to restrictions, it’s not apples to apples when it’s public vs elite private. And before NC brings in players from other towns they might want to hang onto the ones they’re losing every year.

On the plus side, when school regionalization occurs the combined NC/Darien team will be a contender.
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

A NC/Darien combined team is a very scary and semi-realistic thought...
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

Wilton showing some spunk vs Chaminade. They trail the Flyers 6-8 at the half.
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

Chaminade 16 Wilton 10
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

Any color from Wilton vs Chaminade? It looks like Wilton was able to keep it close in the first half. Somewhat surprised to see Wilton put up ten goals against the Flyers.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

Rockhopper wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:57 am Any color from Wilton vs Chaminade? It looks like Wilton was able to keep it close in the first half. Somewhat surprised to see Wilton put up ten goals against the Flyers.
Flyers were sloppy for a long time, seemed disinterested which is understandable given Wilton's record and Cham's recent success vs far superior teams. Wilton's goalie was very good - had no answer early to FOs until they ran their best pole up to take the vast majority of them (a la NC game). That kept them in possessions around 50/50 until Chaminade figured out which one of their 2 brilliant FO guys matched up better and then they just rode him (Ball - the junior). Middies from Chaminade were just bigger faster stronger and most importantly better than wilton's D mids. Chaminade's goalie is very good but I dont think this was his best game thus the 10 WIlton scored.
Valiant effort for 3+ quarters by Wilton who also played without one of their good poles.
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

New Fairfield up 16-3 on Weston heading into the 4th quarter and Marty is STILL imploring his kids to do something they apparently weren't doing in the 3rd quarter. There's literally no competition for this year's Rebel team in the SWC - Newtown and Barlow and Weston are good but they need to just battle it out to see who is who as far as the 2nd/3rd/4th place teams go. Interesting to note that in the past fifteen years or so the conference has been pretty balanced every year - always at least two or three teams with a shot at the top and some great competition. The exceptions were 2008, 2018 and certainly this year when New Fairfield is just absolutely hands above everybody else.

I know this is Marty's team and has been since these guys were in 2nd grade, but what they've got going on up there in a smallish town is pretty impressive, both on the boys and girls sides. NFF have created a lacrosse culture in the past 20 years that has surpassed many more established programs in the state. It's a great model for towns/schools who want to invent a lacrosse program. The one constant over those 20 years has been Marty Morgan. He's had lots of help - no question he hasn't been a one man band. But this man deserves most of the credit. Yeah, he's a screamer at times...but he's always complementary towards opposing players and loses as graciously as he wins while many around him haven't had the same trait. Over the years when we have spoken, he has always made it a point to ask after players from past opposing teams and inquire as to how they are doing long after they graduated from HS and even college. All this despite what has become a very intense rivalry between our two programs at both the youth and HS levels. I don't think the other well-tenured SWC coach has ever done that - and I think it's because of Marty's respect/love for the game and the kids he has watched play, regardless of for whom they played.

Marty's obviously not short on accolades, but I just felt that after so many years of watching him operate and succeed I needed to call out to this thread (feels like old times on here lately) how I see this one coach's position in the scheme of things.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

BlueWarrior wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:42 pm New Fairfield up 16-3 on Weston heading into the 4th quarter and Marty is STILL imploring his kids to do something they apparently weren't doing in the 3rd quarter. There's literally no competition for this year's Rebel team in the SWC - Newtown and Barlow and Weston are good but they need to just battle it out to see who is who as far as the 2nd/3rd/4th place teams go. Interesting to note that in the past fifteen years or so the conference has been pretty balanced every year - always at least two or three teams with a shot at the top and some great competition. The exceptions were 2008, 2018 and certainly this year when New Fairfield is just absolutely hands above everybody else.

I know this is Marty's team and has been since these guys were in 2nd grade, but what they've got going on up there in a smallish town is pretty impressive, both on the boys and girls sides. NFF have created a lacrosse culture in the past 20 years that has surpassed many more established programs in the state. It's a great model for towns/schools who want to invent a lacrosse program. The one constant over those 20 years has been Marty Morgan. He's had lots of help - no question he hasn't been a one man band. But this man deserves most of the credit. Yeah, he's a screamer at times...but he's always complementary towards opposing players and loses as graciously as he wins while many around him haven't had the same trait. Over the years when we have spoken, he has always made it a point to ask after players from past opposing teams and inquire as to how they are doing long after they graduated from HS and even college. All this despite what has become a very intense rivalry between our two programs at both the youth and HS levels. I don't think the other well-tenured SWC coach has ever done that - and I think it's because of Marty's respect/love for the game and the kids he has watched play, regardless of for whom they played.

Marty's obviously not short on accolades, but I just felt that after so many years of watching him operate and succeed I needed to call out to this thread (feels like old times on here lately) how I see this one coach's position in the scheme of things.
100% agree - well said

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”