New Jersey 2019

HS Girls Lacrosse
Delco Transplant

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by Delco Transplant »

Looking at the NJSIAA 2019 Girls Lacrosse Regulations previously provided by njbill (https://www.njsiaa.org/sites/default/fi ... ations.pdf), "Seventy percent (70%) of games played on or before the cutoff date (May 8th) must be against New Jersey schools." This provides plenty of opportunity for NJ teams to schedule at least 2-3 out of state games before playoffs begin. Again, for the stronger south jersey schools (Moorestown, Shawnee, Haddonfield, Clearview, etc), out-of-state games vs. southeastern PA schools would be closer than games against NNJ schools. While I am a big proponent of playing Pennsylvania teams (particularly those in Delaware County :D ), there is tremendous, national-caliber competition available within my adopted state of NJ - see Moorestown's regular season opponents: Bridgewater, Raritan, Rumson Fair Haven, Lawrenceville, Ridge, Westfield, Ridgewood, Hunterdon Central, and Hillsborough.
njbill

Post by njbill »

In the not too distant past, Jersey’s glax season didn’t start until April 1, which could mean April 2 if the 1st fell on a Sunday. By the time the Jersey girls got things going for real, it seemed teams everywhere else (except the Nome, Alaska league) were almost in mid-season. Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York all started well before April 1. The Grand Poobahs of the NJSIAA finally relented (a little) and now the season starts a few days before April 1, this year on March 27.

I’ve been able to see three great games already involving the top Jersey teams. On Wednesday, Ridgewood hosted and beat D.C.’s Georgetown Visitation, 10-9. The Maroons, in their first game under new head coach Crysti Foote, controlled the scoreboard and the play throughout the game, although they by no means dominated the Visis. Ridgewood lead 4-2 at the half. While GV tied the game at 4 at 17:32 of the second, Ridgewood regained the lead and stayed ahead by one or two goals for most of the second half. They extended their lead to three (9-6) at 7:45 and then to four (10-6) at 2:08. It seemed we were headed for a comfortable and very impressive season opening win for the Maroons. And then the fun began, or the terror if you were a Ridgewood fan. Bang, bang, bang. The Visis scored at 1:08, 0:58, and 0:08.5. Now we have a one goal game. Just to keep things interesting, GV got the draw and managed to carry/pass it downfield into the 8 AND get a shot off before the horn. No fairy tale ending though. The shot went right into the goalie’s stick. I was very impressed with Ridgewood’s team speed, aggressive defense, and very able offense. They’ll be playing lacrosse in June, and not just on June 1.

Yesterday I attended the Summit/Glen Ridge game, the opener for both teams. The Hilltoppers controlled the play in the first half and lead 7-4 at 1:40, but GR poured in two quick goals to make it 7-6 at the half. The first nine minutes or so of the second half were back and forth. We were tied at 10 with 16 minutes left. But then Glen Ridge scored two in a row to go up 12-10 at 11:32. The Summit faithful were squirming to be sure. This lead held for eight minutes. More squirming and even some grunting and groaning. The game started to have the feel of an upset. But Summit got within one at 3:23 and tied the game at 0:39, which is how regulation ended. Both teams had chances to score in the first three minutes of OT, but neither was able to cash. Then in the second three minutes, my oh my. My oh my oh my. Glen Ridge got possession in their defensive end and was trying to clear the ball upfield. One of their players was being harassed by a Summit defender. She threw the ball back to her goalie. Well, in the general direction of her goalie. More or less. Actually less. The ball skipped past the goalie and . . . it . . . went . . . into . . . the . . . net. An own goal. An own goal to end sudden death OT. In the first game of the season for both teams. Summit played their usual frenetic all field defense, but GR has a couple of big attackers who were able to withstand the withering pressure the Hilltoppers always bring to any opponent who dares enter the eight. GR wasn’t able to score at will, but they did manage to put up double digit goals on a very good defense. Offensively, Summit has several attackers who will give any team trouble. They, too, will very probably be playing in June. I just hope it won’t be beyond June 1.

Today Georgetown Visitation visited Moorestown, seeking to gain a split for their trip to the Garden State. They came close, but it didn’t happen. Moorestown prevailed 11-10, giving Colleen Hancox her first big win as the Quakers new head coach. The Quakers got on the board first, but the Visis tied things up a few minutes later and were able to take a 6-2 lead at 7:34 of the first half. Moorestown got one back, then Kayla Frank scored two quick goals (0:17.6 and 0:00) while her team was a man down to make it 6-5 GV at the break. It was huge for the Quakers to seriously eat into the Visis four goal lead to only be one goal down at halftime. Moorestown continued their run at the outset of the second half and tied the game at 6 at 21:49. The second half was very evenly battled. The game was tied at 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. The Visis took their last lead of the day (7-6) at 20:48. The Quakers lead 8-7, 9-8, 10-9, and finally 11-10. The game was tied at 10 at 2:25. Moorestown (Frank) scored the game winner with 52 seconds left. GV will get another crack at a Jersey team in a couple of weeks when Summit travels down to the District. Moorestown will be playing in June and (I certainly hope) beyond June 1. Lots of season to go. We are only three days into 2019. The rest of the season will have a tough time living up to the first three days for excitement.

Kudos to Georgetown Visitation for journeying up to New Jersey to play these two games. Long travel road games are never easy for the visitors. Much credit to them for using their spring break to come North and for putting on two fine displays of lacrosse. They are a fun team to watch. The Visis are among the very best teams in the D.C. area and certainly would be one of the top few teams in Jersey if they played up here.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

NJ, where's the chatter?

Surprised to see Summit struggle in three games. Great coaching will get them prepped for the playoff run.

Looks like it may be Ridgewood-Moorestown on a collision course again.

Haddonfield with a close win over Penn Charter? But nice to see them venture outside SJ.

Moorestown may be hurt by their senior trip taking place in the middle of the season and then having to play several (3) quality teams in a row upon their return.

Maybe Rumson is a contender vs a pretender this year? They are playing pretty well.

Alot will be determined for NJ at the Gains For Brains playday in a couple of weeks. Seems like NY may be a bit better than the NJ teams entered.
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

Good game today - Moorestown @ Haddonfield. Moorestown won in overtime. Moorestown Goalie Logan Lille had a great save on a Haddonfield free position with 3 seconds left in regulation. Moorestown won the draw to start overtime and Kayla Frank scored the game winner on the possession. Game was closer than it needed to be or should have been. Moorestown uncharacteristically struggled with ground balls. Two stick checks by Haddonfield coaching staff (more on that later).

Haddonfield’s defense kept them in the game. I had a chance to watch the Penn Charter at Haddonfield game last week. Haddonfield’s defense won that game for them.

There were some very questionable calls and non-calls at today’s game in Haddonfield favor, but give the Dawgs credit, they played a well-balanced game.

My cautionary note to Haddonfield coaching staff on the stick check requests - be careful, karma is a b**ch!
njbill

Post by njbill »

My take on the game.

In the battle for South Jersey supremacy today in Haddonfield, Moorestown barely eked out a 9-8 OT win. This has become a real rivalry game in a few short years. It was an extremely hard fought game by both teams. Moorestown scored first a couple of minutes into the game, but Haddonfield tied it up 14 seconds later. After the game was tied at two at 15:23, Moorestown opened up a two goal lead at 9:14 and lead 5-3 at the half. The first half was very evenly played, closer than the score might suggest. I had draws 7-2 Haddonfield at the break. Both teams seemed to be concentrating on shutting down the other team's star in the first half, and both did pretty good jobs. Haddonfield’s Blake had no goals and three draw controls. Moorestown’s Frank had one goal and no draws.

Moorestown maintained their slight lead (between one and two goals) for the first 11 minutes of the second half, then the Bulldawgs tied the game at 6 at the 14 minute mark. The Quakers took a two goal lead at 7:51, but Haddonfield tied the game at 8 with a minute and a half to go. Haddonfield had an 8m free position with 3 seconds left in regulation, but the Quaker goalie made the save.

Moorestown (Julia Sullivan) collected the critical draw to open OT, and Kayla Frank scored the game winner at 1:47 of the first three minutes of OT off a very nice feed from Ashley Nutt. There is a defibrillator in the Men’s room at the Haddonfield stadium. Now I see why.

Draws were 5-5 in the second half. Moorestown won the draw in OT. That's 12-8 Haddonfield for the game.

Haddonfield’s defense played an outstanding game, twice taking the ball away from Moorestown when the Quakers were a man up. Moorestown did not score during the four minutes they had a man advantage in the game. Time and time again the Haddonfield defense knocked down entry passes and got sticks on shots. They generally created havoc all day. And the Bulldawgs beat the Quakers to loose balls time and time again.

Moorestown’s D matched their counterpart’s in intensity and effectiveness, frustrating the potent Bulldawg attack for much of the afternoon. Quakers were by and large able to control Blake, holding her to three goals on the day, at least two of which were in unsettled situations, and preventing her from having the type of ESPN SportsCenter top 10 highlights game she has so often. Nevertheless, the soph superstar had a darn good game, with six draw controls and three goals (I didn’t keep track of Haddonfield assists so I’m not sure if she had any helpers (nj.com has her with one)).

In addition to the stats mentioned above, Moorestown’s Galski had three goals; Frank and Silar each had two; Arvelo and Brown had one apiece. Sullivan had six DCs. For the Bulldawgs, Ay had two goals (plus four DCs); Beckett, Campo, and Connor had one each goal (nj.com has three goals for Ay and none for Connor; otherwise their goal and DC stats agree with mine).

All in all, a very exciting game between indisputably the two best teams in South Jersey. Last year they met a second time in the TOC semis. I fully except Haddonfield will win Group 2 and get there again this year. In Group 3, Moorestown will have to get through Summit. There never are any guarantees when it comes to Mike Walsh’s Hilltoppers. June is a long way away at this point.

For Moorestown, they go from Bulldawgs to Bulldogs; they play Rumson on Monday.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”