~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
sguy9

Re: ~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

Post by sguy9 »

Don't think BU has a D man that can contain Spencer (does anyone?). This game will be a 5 goal separation, Spencer will have 5 points.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

sguy9 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:04 pm Don't think BU has a D man that can contain Spencer (does anyone?). This game will be a 5 goal separation, Spencer will have 5 points.
I like your confidence, and I hope you're right. If you look at the success that Duke and Towson had against us, and to some extent Georgetown, it relied very heavily on their having good defenses, but not necessarily containing Spencer. They controlled possessions, and contested clears and groundballs. I don't know if BU has a defense that is capable of doing the same, but they do have an offense that can score, even against Army's tough defense.

I'm still nervous, but I was nervous about Lehigh too, and that turned out ok. :-)
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I think the team will be fine but it will be a close game for BU and even army. The team has developed and progressed, most importantly the faceoffs with bailey and the defense. 2nd midfield could provide a better scoring punch but they’re doing okay. Would like to see McGovern and devereaux to use their size and shooting to really help out.

BU’s defense most likely won’t be able to stop spencer (hoping he comes back fully healthy after the Georgetown game)
But our defense needs to stop gray and burr. If they do, they’ll be able to stop other scoring offenses like PSU, Maryland etc if it comes to that in the NCAA.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:55 pm Would like to see McGovern and devereaux to use their size and shooting to really help out.
Yeah, McGovern is in a shooting slump. He had a wide open look late against Georgetown, but couldn't connect. Speaking of Deveraux, I spoke to him after the Lehigh game, and he said he was expecting to be cleared to play in about a week. That's good news. Dan Wigley has been playing well in his spot though.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Wait he was injured???? I wonder what’s up with Cox too. He was a top 60 player in high school as touted by P9 since he was invited to that camp held by Rabil and Millon. Also was a star at cold spring harbor high school near my hometown and he was a great great finisher in a tough section of Nassau county lacrosse.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

GreyingHound wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:04 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:55 pm Would like to see McGovern and devereaux to use their size and shooting to really help out.
Yeah, McGovern is in a shooting slump. He had a wide open look late against Georgetown, but couldn't connect. Speaking of Deveraux, I spoke to him after the Lehigh game, and he said he was expecting to be cleared to play in about a week. That's good news. Dan Wigley has been playing well in his spot though.
I'm not going to pretend I know a ton about shooting but to me it feels like McGovern basically only shoots the same three quarter/side arm delivery to the high parts of the goal. I don't think he has the velocity to blow it by goalies without keeping them more honest on the low shot possibility.

Deveraux and Cox feel too similar in style to play together. I'd like to see Wigley stay on that second line with one of them. Against Georgetown the lines were mixed up a bunch. Scanlan played some attack with Olmstead through the box, Scanlan and Duffy mostly ran together but had Swindell, Brown and even McGovern with them on different shifts. Brown bumped down to second with Wigley, Cox and McGovern also getting runs there. Lots of options but honestly not much production past Scanlan.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

I agree with every word above. If we see it, one would think that Toomey and Van see it too.

We need more midfield production beyond Scanlan. Swindell has been playing GREAT lately, defense, offense, and faceoff wings. He was a big factor in the G'town win. I really like Wigley in the mix too.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:38 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:04 pm
I'm not going to pretend I know a ton about shooting but to me it feels like McGovern basically only shoots the same three quarter/side arm delivery to the high parts of the goal. I don't think he has the velocity to blow it by goalies without keeping them more honest on the low shot possibility.

Deveraux and Cox feel too similar in style to play together. I'd like to see Wigley stay on that second line with one of them. Against Georgetown the lines were mixed up a bunch. Scanlan played some attack with Olmstead through the box, Scanlan and Duffy mostly ran together but had Swindell, Brown and even McGovern with them on different shifts. Brown bumped down to second with Wigley, Cox and McGovern also getting runs there. Lots of options but honestly not much production past Scanlan.
McGovern does have that one release because its his hardest/quickest shot. Look at Duffy, 95% of the time its a step down sidearm or 3/4 shot with 4% being overhand and one percent on an inside dunk. McGovern definitely has a quick enough shot, he torched Starr and Turnbaugh last year on a couple goals. he's just in a real bad slump and can't get separation from his defender.

Deveraux to me is the more ambidextrous of the two between him and Cox. He's definitely faster, can cradle and pass with both hands. He's primarily a righty shooter with overhand and side arm. Cox... the guy can shoot overhand and thats about it... hes extremely left handed and is more a plant and rip shooter than on the run (the feed he got from spencer in the lehigh game was lucky as the defenseman didnt converge quick)
Yes SO many options but they can't can shots that spencer and duffy and others are giving them nor can they really blow by their defender without some sort of pick
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I would love to be in Boston this weekend for this game. The weather now doesn't look as awful as originally forecast, though it should rain overnight, making initial cuts slippery. You have to assume that BU will come out as fast as they can, with a large home crowd trying to slay the #1 Patriot League team.

Count me as nervous on this one.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:47 am Count me as nervous on this one.
Me too.

On the other hand, this is a team that has lost to Colgate and Lehigh...
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

alright the way i see it is that we squeak out a win, even if we take a loss it won't hurt as much in the PL standings for hosting the conference tournament nor would it hurt that bad for national seeding. IL currently sees us as a #3-4 seed.

EVEN if lets say we do take an L, then by all means root for Navy to beat Army and for Bucknell to beat Lehigh in order to further decrease their chances of getting a leg up
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

And what GreyingHound said, BU lost to Colgate, and Lehigh (both with decent offenses) and they're not bad teams either. the other teams in the PL do not NEARLY have the same offense firepower we have. The toughest game of the season so far was Georgetown and that was with their meh defense after rewatching tape, and only 2 days rest after a physical Lehigh W. BU had to eek out a win against a TOUGH Army Defense, they got hot...

i really think we will win. Am i nervous, yes but its gameday nerves and i'm sure Toomey and the team want to get the last remaining wins to get 3 more games at Ridley
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Like the only two losses Loyola has had were at night, the only two losses they have had were on the road as well. This team needs to find ways to overcome some obvious issues, such as night time games and away games. With a sleep away from home, plus being banged up with the 3 games in 7 days against the meat of their schedule, I am hoping they find another gear. And that other gear could be trying to impress a hostile crowd.

This game will come down to Loyola's defense. If they shut off BU's top two, Loyola will be in good shape. But, if you see Gray or Burr go off for 5 goals or more, then that opens the field for the rest of the team.

Gray is small so he's really hard to cover one-on-one. Christman is a good FOGO but I really feel like Bailey can ace this test.

Lots of variables at play here. Loyola crushed BU last year, but lost in 2017, and won by only 1 in 2016.

I hope Spencer goes off for 10+ points and they bring back a victory. Whatever goes down, the Hounds better be ready for a battle tomorrow.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:32 pm Like the only two losses Loyola has had were at night, the only two losses they have had were on the road as well. This team needs to find ways to overcome some obvious issues, such as night time games and away games. With a sleep away from home, plus being banged up with the 3 games in 7 days against the meat of their schedule, I am hoping they find another gear. And that other gear could be trying to impress a hostile crowd.

This game will come down to Loyola's defense. If they shut off BU's top two, Loyola will be in good shape. But, if you see Gray or Burr go off for 5 goals or more, then that opens the field for the rest of the team.

Gray is small so he's really hard to cover one-on-one. Christman is a good FOGO but I really feel like Bailey can ace this test.

Lots of variables at play here. Loyola crushed BU last year, but lost in 2017, and won by only 1 in 2016.

I hope Spencer goes off for 10+ points and they bring back a victory. Whatever goes down, the Hounds better be ready for a battle tomorrow.
I don't think it will. Loyola has won games where it has given up 15 and 14 goals. Beating Loyola requires that you stop them first and foremost.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Very ugly game in th first half so far.... offense finally seems to have woken up after two mundane quarters
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

That was a tough one. McSorley was amazing in cage for BU.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No way Spencer is 100%.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

sguy9 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:04 pm Don't think BU has a D man that can contain Spencer (does anyone?). This game will be a 5 goal separation, Spencer will have 5 points.
Quintin Germain, as it turns out.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

How was your Saturday? Lol.

There are two possibilities here: the Hounds are an awful road team who had a full bad game coming, or the Hounds just aren’t as good as we want them to be.

Good teams are beginning to separate themselves at this stage of the season from pretenders; Yale and Penn State are doing good things well and great things consistently. They’re definitely not getting blown out by BU or imploding in a second half to Georgetown at home.

Charley and co have boxed themselves in. Now they have a do or die game at Army. Loyola is a bad road team traveling to a good and fired up home team, as the road team are regressing in every phase of the game. I didn’t hear of any positives from today and had multiple friends there. What I was told by each was Loyola was fortunate to lose by only 7!

Well, I can’t motivate young kids. I’d be yelling at them Old school style, doing wind sprints til they puked. Kids today don’t respond well to that style. So good luck to Charley. He’s got a two game regression on his hands walking into a hostile West Point crew who smell blood in the water.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:39 pm That was a tough one. McSorley was amazing in cage for BU.
Stover had more saves than McSorley, Spencer held to 1 assist and BU puts up 18? :o

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”