2019 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
VALaxer

Re: 2019 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VALaxer »

Laxlegend wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 pm Way to go Herndon! If the parents were that bad then they should be called out on it. Can’t wait to hear more about it.

Should the Hornets be added to the 3 horse race for the top ?
Madison and Langley both beat Yorktown by more and at Yorktown (if we use the Patriots as a measuring stick), so Herndon may be the 4th Horse at this point... :geek:
NFG4CHS

Post by NFG4CHS »

Just got back into home base of Springfield and looks like everyone beat me to it so apologies for the repeat recap of Herndon/Yorktown. Herndon wins 11-8 and saw some subbing on Coach Chen's part but saw more of a well executed game plan of handling/breaking Yorktown's pressure ride. Very well coached as not only did Coach Chen have to handle team strategies but had to also handle the opposing coach "persuading" her peers officiating the game (which led to 3 very timely yellow cards near the end to make it interesting) but also comments from the Yorktown parents serenading a Herndon player with "cheater" to which Coach Chen skillfully yelled back to meet after the game and call him, the adult, a cheater rather than hiding in the stands yelling at a child :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyone with details as to whether or not the parent manned up and took Coach Chen's offer, please advise!! Kudos for sticking up for a child when a Yorktown snow plow parent just can't STFU. Herndon in top 3 or 4? Sorry friends; while it was a great win for their program and they are well coached, I don't see them getting past the pillars of strength but it is definitely a great story line of one school's trash is another school's treasure although I do think Stringfellow is run by a bunch of cheese spines (credit to UAO for the great reference) but I hear Stringfellow is glowing with a record of 9-0 like the queens of Bennett? Alas, no Chick-Fil-A which lends to my lower ranking of the Hornets. Still would like to see more. Just my two cents worth.
NFG4CHS

Post by NFG4CHS »

Apologies for running with scissors but I did not see why the cheater comments were free flowing from said Yorktown snow plow parent as neither side appeared to be cheating. Surmising that comments were being made because they were losing and were frustrated with that fact and that the parent was just plain stupid.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Creating a Muenster in Herndon...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

NFG4CHS wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:24 pm Just my two cents worth.
Thanks for the update NFG.

Sometimes having the intestinal fortitude of Cheez Whiz is not Gouda!
helmetssoon

Post by helmetssoon »

NFG4CHS wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:24 pm Just got back into home base of Springfield and looks like everyone beat me to it so apologies for the repeat recap of Herndon/Yorktown. Herndon wins 11-8 and saw some subbing on Coach Chen's part but saw more of a well executed game plan of handling/breaking Yorktown's pressure ride. Very well coached as not only did Coach Chen have to handle team strategies but had to also handle the opposing coach "persuading" her peers officiating the game (which led to 3 very timely yellow cards near the end to make it interesting) but also comments from the Yorktown parents serenading a Herndon player with "cheater" to which Coach Chen skillfully yelled back to meet after the game and call him, the adult, a cheater rather than hiding in the stands yelling at a child :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyone with details as to whether or not the parent manned up and took Coach Chen's offer, please advise!! Kudos for sticking up for a child when a Yorktown snow plow parent just can't STFU. Herndon in top 3 or 4? Sorry friends; while it was a great win for their program and they are well coached, I don't see them getting past the pillars of strength but it is definitely a great story line of one school's trash is another school's treasure
Herndon has a big hurdle to clear if they want to get into the top tier. Langley at the Hornet's nest in two weeks. That's their shot at the big time. If Coach Chen can channel Herb Brooks and get the girls bought in....and they get a few bounces........

Woodson, Langley, Madison in Tier 1. Herndon leads a crowded pack of Tier 2s....which reminds me. Posts earlier this week about Patriot/Liberty for conference bragging rights. How about a Spring 2020 series where L1 plays P1, L2 vs. P2 and down the line to see which conference, top to bottom is the best in the state? That would be fun.
FSUFan

Post by FSUFan »

Does anyone else see that UnderArmourOdor has an alter ego on the forum?

Free Chic-fil-a sandwich up for grabs to the first person that gives the correct answer!!

Contest rules: (UAO, nor your alter ego are eligible in this contest.) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

FSUFan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:02 am Does anyone else see that UnderArmourOdor has an alter ego on the forum?

Free Chic-fil-a sandwich up for grabs to the first person that gives the correct answer!!

Contest rules: (UAO, nor your alter ego are eligible in this contest.) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Intrigued...who could it be? :?: :?:
FSUFan

Post by FSUFan »

Well, look what I just found.... not 100% updated, but its what we have been missing from the re-boot of Laxpower.com

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php? ... e=rankings
Laxlegend

Post by Laxlegend »

Well done fsufan!!!

It’s outdated by a week or so but it looks to be fairly accurate.

Let the complaining begin !!!!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

FSUFan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:46 pm Well, look what I just found.... not 100% updated, but its what we have been missing from the re-boot of Laxpower.com

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php? ... e=rankings
Ooo....that is nice....doing my best Homer drool....mmm beer/(rankings)
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Sparty over the Rams
VALaxer

re: Rolling Road Rising

Post by VALaxer »

West Springfield (H) 16 - Robinson 11 :shock:

Made the jaunt over to Rolling Road tonight to see how the up and coming Spartans would handle the 2nd game in a row against the Patriot Powers. Sparty broke an early 3-3 game open with 6 straight to take a 9-3 lead, but then watched Robo get the last 3 of the half to make it 9-6 at intermission. The Rams got it to 10-8, then 11-9 midway through the 2nd stanza, but the Spartans held off the Rams while on a yellow and added a man down goal to help stem the tide and make it 12-9 with just over 10 minutes to play. Unfortunately for the Westies, the card was the 2nd on one of their top middies who had to watch the rest of the night from the bench, and the Rams quickly responded with both teams at full strength to get it to 12-10 as the clock ticked under 10 minutes to play. But the Spartans were up to the challenge, led by some strong defense, goaltending and draw controls, they scored 4 more in the final 5:26, to pull away 16-11. Coach Puhlick continues to get strong play from his freshmen class, who by this observer's estimate tallied nearly half of the scoring for the Spartans tonight. West Springfield looks like a growing force.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Patriot May Not Be Too Bad...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Fairfax came into "The Pat" fresh off their big win over Lake Braddock (if you read this forum it may come as a surprise that the Bruins are still playing lacrosse) the first District in a while...wish we still had those stats at our fingertips! Down a goal 20 seconds they didn't wilt and tied it up. Cavs were very deliberate getting it to 3-1 before taking a YC. Rebels scored to get it to 2-3 before the Cavs got a Man Down tally and then two more to get up 6-2 before starting to sub out starters. Rebs got on a run to close to 6-8 before Cavs got the last three of the half so it ended 11-6 for the home squad.
Fairfax looked much better than their game versus Sparty relying on a decent Senior class and their three freshman. 2nd half everyone got in for the Cavs except one injured player as they were deliberate but deadly getting 7 of the first 8 scores to lead 18-7 and get the clock running. Rebs got the last goal in the final minute. Noticeable improvement from last season's game that was 20-1 with 10 goals from freshmen. Great night for lax after the last home game on Friday. I was going to say it made the Chick-fil-A even better but I'm afraid Free Shoes U will get Mueller to investigate now that he has time on his hands.
VALaxer

Re: Patriots bounce back

Post by VALaxer »

Another score from last night...

Yorktown (H) 13 - West Potomac 7

Solid bounce back win for the Patriots after the loss the night before.
valaxnewb

Post by valaxnewb »

NFG4CHS wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:24 pm Just got back into home base of Springfield and looks like everyone beat me to it so apologies for the repeat recap of Herndon/Yorktown. Herndon wins 11-8 and saw some subbing on Coach Chen's part but saw more of a well executed game plan of handling/breaking Yorktown's pressure ride. Very well coached as not only did Coach Chen have to handle team strategies but had to also handle the opposing coach "persuading" her peers officiating the game (which led to 3 very timely yellow cards near the end to make it interesting) but also comments from the Yorktown parents serenading a Herndon player with "cheater" to which Coach Chen skillfully yelled back to meet after the game and call him, the adult, a cheater rather than hiding in the stands yelling at a child :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyone with details as to whether or not the parent manned up and took Coach Chen's offer, please advise!! Kudos for sticking up for a child when a Yorktown snow plow parent just can't STFU.
I wasn't at this game so can't comment on the details of this incident, but as reported, it reflects poor behavior on both the parent and the Herndon coach. As an employee of the host school and on-field representative of the game, a coach should not be rising to the bait of bad behavior in the stands. Coaches can be an example of positive behavior and hold parents accountable through other channels after a game.

As for the result, I had Herndon/Yorktown as a toss-up pre-season, so give Herndon credit for a strong W and the solid #2 in Liberty standings. The battle for #3 seed (and the privileged of not meeting Langley in the district semis) will come down to WL @ Yorktown, cross-county rivalry game after Spring Break!
Letemplay

Post by Letemplay »

I was at this game, and not sure how any of this is a poor reflection on Coach Chen. Let’s put the blame where it belongs! Needless to say, the Yorktown parent is responsible for heckling a Herndon player. How about the Yorktown coach addressing their crowd who were directly behind her on the Home side. She had plenty of opportunities to squash the negativity from Yorktown fans. The “cheating” comments were not the only loud and obnoxious comments that were made. How about someone from the Athletic Department monitoring the stands for the unsportsmanlike behavior? I am grateful that Coach Chen advocated for his player, and can assure you that he handled it with poise. Had the opposing coach stopped the obnoxious fans in the beginning, Coach Chen wouldn’t have needed to intervene. I appreciate a coach who backs his players, has integrity, and stops behavior that is harmful to our girls.
Rental_Unit

Post by Rental_Unit »

I was at this game, and not sure how any of this is a poor reflection on Coach Chen. Let’s put the blame where it belongs! Needless to say, the Yorktown parent is responsible for heckling a Herndon player. How about the Yorktown coach addressing their crowd who were directly behind her on the Home side. She had plenty of opportunities to squash the negativity from Yorktown fans. The “cheating” comments were not the only loud and obnoxious comments that were made. How about someone from the Athletic Department monitoring the stands for the unsportsmanlike behavior? I am grateful that Coach Chen advocated for his player, and can assure you that he handled it with poise. Had the opposing coach stopped the obnoxious fans in the beginning, Coach Chen wouldn’t have needed to intervene. I appreciate a coach who backs his players, has integrity, and stops behavior that is harmful to our girls.
Well said Letemplay. This parent's comments were inappropriate. A grown man in the stands calling out high school girls, calling them "cheaters" and cheering against the opposing team instead of for his own team makes him a LOSER, period. Yorktown got outplayed in all phases of the game, and the score could have been a lot worse had it not been for several shots hitting the post, and at least 3 goals retracted for shooting space violations.

On a different note, I find the "sudo rankings" (a.k.a. biased opinions) like the one below hilarious. What's the basis for considering Langley, Madison, and Woodson Tier1? Last year's results? Come on, last year was last year. Show me the quality wins that support these teams being designated Tier1. Last I checked, Herndon is undefeated at 9-0, and beat Westfield and Freedom South Riding in scrimmages to make 11 straight wins. So based on win/loss and common opponents, I don't think there's much separation if any. And for those that believe Herndon is not on par with other Tier 1's, my question to you is "who's going to stop Herndon's mighty midfield and attack? No one's been able to do it thus far.
Woodson, Langley, Madison in Tier 1. Herndon leads a crowded pack of Tier 2s....
Last edited by Rental_Unit on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 12 times in total.
FSUFan

Post by FSUFan »

Herndon has a top notch goalie that also plays for Cardinal. Don't forget about the goalkeeper!!
Letemplay

Post by Letemplay »

Herndon’s Goalie is a 2020 Capital Blue player. You are correct, she is TOP NOTCH!
NFG4CHS

Post by NFG4CHS »

valaxnewb, I also failed to report that when Yorktown's player was injured, Coach Chen was the first one to get the ref's attention of the injury and he was the first out on the field to check on that player. So I guess he was an example of positive behavior when it really mattered most in your book. In my opinion, he actually prevented the Yorktown parent from looking worse and de-escalated the situation.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”