Connecticut 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
Young Warrior

Re: Connecticut 2019

Post by Young Warrior »

Chesedice wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:21 pm After trailing 1-4 at halftime, Wilton falls to John Jay, 6-7 in OT.
The lack of FOs and offense generally will keep Wilton down this year
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Chesedice wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:36 pm That’s all she wrote. St. Anthony’s 21 New Fairfield 11
Chese can you give us some color? Sounds like NF wasn’t ready to play.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

JBFortunato wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:02 pm
Chesedice wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:36 pm That’s all she wrote. St. Anthony’s 21 New Fairfield 11
No offense to NF, but was anyone expecting this to be close? The best two teams NF has played were Wilton and NC two years ago, both games they lost by about a dozen. Granted NF has grown up since then but this year ST A is markedly better than either of those WIlton or NC teams. Marty is a great coach and has done wonders with that program, but the next level up is MUCH different...size, skill and most of all, depth of both.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Exactly. Anyone who thought this was within 10 needs a wider perspective of lacrosse. NF is a fringe top 50 national team, St.A is clear top 5 this year. I imagine the score could have been a lot worse if they wanted it to be. None of which is a knock on a small public school in a small town that is at the mercy of whatever athletes happen to come along in each grade. Marty has built a wonderful team and culture and they are the clear favorites to win a state title this year playing against their peers size wise.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:44 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:55 pm
PrimeTime21 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 pm
Chesedice wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:16 pm End of 3Q: St. Anthony’s leads New Fairfield 19-7
That should do it for “New Fairfield is the best team in the state.”

Not a chance Darien gets worked like that. Also Brunswick and Salisbury would handle St Anthony pretty easily.
Not sure who ever said NF was the best team in CT and no, Wick and Salisbury would not handle St. A pretty easily.
Yes. Wick and Bury would destroy St A’s.

I’ll do you one better. Wick and Bury both have better lefty scorers than O’Neill on their rosters. Yes, wick and bury would destroy St A’s. Wick doesn’t lose faceoffs, they have 4 D1 poles and they have 6-7 D1 middies. Salisbury has about the same but maybe even more offensive firepower. CSHAA won’t let Chaminade and St A’s play the real best competition in the region. But don’t get it twisted. Wick and Bury would run those guys off the field
Hofstra wouldn’t run St. A’s off the field this year. Yay, 6-7 D1 mids, where do you think St. A’s are going, Maine Maritime? I am as much a West-1 fan as anyone but you really need to get out more. If you think Chaminade ducks “the real best competition” you don’t know much about the history of lacrosse.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Chesedice wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:16 pm End of 3Q: St. Anthony’s leads New Fairfield 19-7

Not a chance Darien gets worked like that. Also Brunswick and Salisbury would handle St Anthony pretty easily.
Not sure who ever said NF was the best team in CT and no, Wick and Salisbury would not handle St. A pretty easily.

I’ll do you one better. Wick and Bury both have better lefty scorers than O’Neill on their rosters. Yes, wick and bury would destroy St A’s. Wick doesn’t lose faceoffs, they have 4 D1 poles and they have 6-7 D1 middies. Salisbury has about the same but maybe even more offensive firepower. CSHAA won’t let Chaminade and St A’s play the real best competition in the region. But don’t get it twisted. Wick and Bury would run those guys off the field
This kind of blind, moronic homerism is what makes it so tough to root for NEW-1 teams. On the other thread all I hear after every Salisbury performance is how they should have won by 10 even though they didn't come close to that margin (ok, for the GP game it's an accurate observation to be fair). That includes their game against Haverford where they barely held on. All sorts of talk about how Bury stopped doing what was working for them, with no thought to the notion that the Fords might have simply made adjustments as all well coached teams do. No thought or credit ever given to the play of the other team -- it's always about Salisbury deciding how much they want to win by based solely on their level of play.

I love the talent on the Wick and Bury rosters, but when you say drivel like they have better lefty scorers than O'Neill, no one is going to take you seriously. I'm not sure which lefty you're talking about for Bury because they do indeed have an embarrassment of riches, but none of them are O'Neill. And as for Wick, I think Mackesy is a terrific talent who will be recruited by many top schools, but come on, how can you even compare him as a still growing sophomore to a man child like #34 for St. A's at this point in time?
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Full disclosure I haven't been able to watch St Ants play yet this year (although I did watch their JV team play Set, which was a good contest). I think PT is just yanking our chains. Nobody in the conversation for top 10 teams (or more) is going to "destroy" any of the other teams. Too much talent and the coaching is too good for that to happen.

Back to CT lacrosse, that Wilton loss does not bode well for them. JJ is an ok team. Just ok. I was hoping for Wilton to be one of the top 4 programs this year but I don't see them beating Darien, NC, Ridgefield, Prep or Staples. Hope I'm wrong.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

ctbagataway wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:18 am Full disclosure I haven't been able to watch St Ants play yet this year (although I did watch their JV team play Set, which was a good contest). I think PT is just yanking our chains. Nobody in the conversation for top 10 teams (or more) is going to "destroy" any of the other teams. Too much talent and the coaching is too good for that to happen.

Back to CT lacrosse, that Wilton loss does not bode well for them. JJ is an ok team. Just ok. I was hoping for Wilton to be one of the top 4 programs this year but I don't see them beating Darien, NC, Ridgefield, Prep or Staples. Hope I'm wrong.
Wilton's defense will keep them in every game. Lack of possessions due to FO issues and lack of scorers will be an even bigger problem when they hit the better teams. They are clearly behind Darien and NC at this point.

They are the mirror image of RF - not sure RF has much at FO either (?) and has an inexperienced D but great offensive players vs Wilton's great experienced D and inexperienced O. Two best goalies in the state in this game, IMO.

I'm not ready to put them behind Staples, who, like Wilton has a few good poles...do they have enough other than that? Jury's out.

Fairfield Prep will be interesting - understand they are dealing with some personnel "losses" - Prep's stud attackmen vs Wilton's stud poles - sure they know each other very well especially considering one of FP's is a Wilton kid. Should be a great game to watch.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Young Warrior wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:45 am
ctbagataway wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:18 am Full disclosure I haven't been able to watch St Ants play yet this year (although I did watch their JV team play Set, which was a good contest). I think PT is just yanking our chains. Nobody in the conversation for top 10 teams (or more) is going to "destroy" any of the other teams. Too much talent and the coaching is too good for that to happen.

Wilton's defense will keep them in every game. Lack of possessions due to FO issues and lack of scorers will be an even bigger problem when they hit the better teams. They are clearly behind Darien and NC at this point.

They are the mirror image of RF - not sure RF has much at FO either (?) and has an inexperienced D but great offensive players vs Wilton's great experienced D and inexperienced O. Two best goalies in the state in this game, IMO.

I'm not ready to put them behind Staples, who, like Wilton has a few good poles...do they have enough other than that? Jury's out.

Fairfield Prep will be interesting - understand they are dealing with some personnel "losses" - Prep's stud attackmen vs Wilton's stud poles - sure they know each other very well especially considering one of FP's is a Wilton kid. Should be a great game to watch.
How many “losses” are we talking about with regard to personnel at Prep?
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

random observer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:37 pm

This kind of blind, moronic homerism is what makes it so tough to root for NEW-1 teams. On the other thread all I hear after every Salisbury performance is how they should have won by 10 even though they didn't come close to that margin (ok, for the GP game it's an accurate observation to be fair). That includes their game against Haverford where they barely held on. All sorts of talk about how Bury stopped doing what was working for them, with no thought to the notion that the Fords might have simply made adjustments as all well coached teams do. No thought or credit ever given to the play of the other team -- it's always about Salisbury deciding how much they want to win by based solely on their level of play.

I love the talent on the Wick and Bury rosters, but when you say drivel like they have better lefty scorers than O'Neill, no one is going to take you seriously. I'm not sure which lefty you're talking about for Bury because they do indeed have an embarrassment of riches, but none of them are O'Neill. And as for Wick, I think Mackesy is a terrific talent who will be recruited by many top schools, but come on, how can you even compare him as a still growing sophomore to a man child like #34 for St. A's at this point in time?
Drake for Bury and Moore for Wick are both better than O’Neill as lefty scorers. And they play Mid so they can help their teams more.

Ty Xander’s rankings shouldn’t be trusted. Yes, I’d ltake action for anybody who would take St A’s +6 against either Wick or Bury
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

We’re also ignoring depth. St A’s has one super good guys and then a collection of good players.

Wick has 3 other lefty D-1 A/Ms who are complete players. Salisbury also has McIntosh who is elite. The depth of scoring also favor the elite NEW1 teams.

St A’s is the high school version of Cornell. Just ball deny their lefty stud and beat them up in the middle of the field
random observer

Post by random observer »

O’Neill is better than all of those players and it’s not close. Drake wasn’t even the leading lefty point scorer for Wilton last year.

You clearly don’t know anything about St. Anthony’s because often times O’Neill is content to play decoy and let the rest of the team feast. The Friars also have Bonomi (a top 25 ranked player in the class of 2019 going to Michigan) at attack, Danenza (top 30 jr going to Duke), Walsh (top 40 jr going to UVA), McAdorey (top 5 player in the entire class of 2021), D’Agostino (Army), Parker (UVA), and McGee (PSU) at middie. Not to mention one of the best fogos around in Naso (UVA). Defense is all D1 caliber and experienced as well. In my eyes it’s the most talented roster in the country, and what’s scary is they’re all back next year except Bonomi and Parker (and Campisi on defense).
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

PrimeTime21 said: Drake for Bury and Moore for Wick are both better than O’Neill as lefty scorers.
:roll: kinda hard to take ANYTHING you say seriously after than comment. Have you ever even seen On'Neill play in person? I doubt it since there's not any real comparison. Don't get me wrong the other two are great athletes, but better than O'neill. :lol:

I would suggest you bookmark your quote so you can look back at it 2 yrs from now after two of those three have been playing together on the same D1 team for even just half a season (so easy to compare contirbutions) and see how far off base you are.........
Last edited by DuckLax on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

random observer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:50 pm O’Neill is better than all of those players and it’s not close. Drake wasn’t even the leading lefty point scorer for Wilton last year.

You clearly don’t know anything about St. Anthony’s because often times O’Neill is content to play decoy and let the rest of the team feast. The Friars also have Bonomi (a top 25 ranked player in the class of 2019 going to Michigan) at attack, Danenza (top 30 jr going to Duke), Walsh (top 40 jr going to UVA), McAdorey (top 5 player in the entire class of 2021), D’Agostino (Army), Parker (UVA), and McGee (PSU) at middie. Not to mention one of the best fogos around in Naso (UVA). Defense is all D1 caliber and experienced as well. In my eyes it’s the most talented roster in the country, and what’s scary is they’re all back next year except Bonomi and Parker (and Campisi on defense).
^^ All of this 100% ^^
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Prep made quick work of Shelton in their opener today. While it was to be expected, this is flat out the most athletic FP team since they had their great run a few years back. Varsity Basketball, Hockey, Football and Soccer are all represented out there, and that doesn't include Mason and Reale. Should be a fun team to watch.
Laxalittle

Post by Laxalittle »

JBFortunato wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:02 pm
NF lost this game, primarily at the X. You can’t score if the other team has the ball. I stopped counting when Naso went up 13-2 on draws. NF, who plays up and down, changed nothing, and it cost them. St A’s was deeper, faster, quicker, more accurate with their shots and controlled the ball. Brennan O’Neill was able to do whatever he wanted. He was six for six in shooting and had four assists. St A’s was able go up and down and flourish.
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

Hearing that Greenwich beat Wilton this evening. There has been a lot of hype regarding “Wilton's great experienced D“. Can’t wait to hear the explanation for this one. :shock:
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

Chesedice wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:06 pm Hearing that Greenwich beat Wilton this evening. There has been a lot of hype regarding “Wilton's great experienced D“. Can’t wait to hear the explanation for this one. :shock:
Wait until they face an angry New Canaan on Tuesday. Yikes!
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

Chesedice wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:06 pm Hearing that Greenwich beat Wilton this evening. There has been a lot of hype regarding “Wilton's great experienced D“. Can’t wait to hear the explanation for this one. :shock:
Well, giving up 6 goals in regulation each of the past two games usually should be enough to win, no?
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

Greenwich has two offensive players to focus on; 1 Atk (Feda) and 1 Mid (Large) and no fogo. If the highly touted defense , can’t stop a team with 2 offensive players, what are they going to do when they face a team with 4 or more? Im in ctbag’s camp .... I see Wilton as a team that could go .500 this season.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”