The "One Site" Proposal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
totc

The "One Site" Proposal

Post by totc »

There's been talk that the Division I women's lax final should be at one location (a la Omaha and the College World Series).

I think there's something to be said for that, but there's also something to say about upgrades of the sites from 9,000-seat facilities to mid-range facilities built for soccer.

To wit:

Audi Field, Washington, D.C.
Subaru Park, Chester, Pa.
Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
Brown Stadium, Providence, RI
Kornblau Stadium, Norfolk, Va.

But to truly grow the game?

SeatGeek Stadium, Bridgeview, Ill.
Dick's Sporting Goods Stadium, Commerce, Colo.
Toyota Park, Frisco, Tex.

Thoughts?
laxhound22

Re: The "One Site" Proposal

Post by laxhound22 »

Don't ruin a good thing and try to grow too fast - Hopkins, Villanova, or Stony Brook
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

laxhound22 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:49 pm Don't ruin a good thing and try to grow too fast - Hopkins, Villanova, or Stony Brook

I'm with you laxhound22. Those venues should be the bases until the event has 4 or 5 years of Sold out or SRO showings. Then maybe you look to move to a little larger venue. And I will go back to my yearly plea to bring the D2 and D3 Finals in and celebrate the sport in one glorious, fun-filled weekend.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:08 pm
laxhound22 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:49 pm Don't ruin a good thing and try to grow too fast - Hopkins, Villanova, or Stony Brook

I'm with you laxhound22. Those venues should be the bases until the event has 4 or 5 years of Sold out or SRO showings. Then maybe you look to move to a little larger venue. And I will go back to my yearly plea to bring the D2 and D3 Finals in and celebrate the sport in one glorious, fun-filled weekend.
Totally agree on that. No reason the D2 and D3 finals couldn’t have been at Homewood Saturday just like they do on the off day for the men’s D1.

Homewood can hold 14k. It’s plenty big enough. And having fans on both sides with no track so everyone is close to the field makes it a perfect spot. Villanova is a good choice too. I know LI is a hotbed but getting on and off the island is a friggin nightmare. Not to mention the hotel issue. Last time it was there the teams stayed almost an hour away from SB
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

+1
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

totc wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:29 pm There's been talk that the Division I women's lax final should be at one location (a la Omaha and the College World Series).

I think there's something to be said for that, but there's also something to say about upgrades of the sites from 9,000-seat facilities to mid-range facilities built for soccer.

To wit:

Audi Field, Washington, D.C.
Subaru Park, Chester, Pa.
Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
Brown Stadium, Providence, RI
Kornblau Stadium, Norfolk, Va.

But to truly grow the game?

SeatGeek Stadium, Bridgeview, Ill.
Dick's Sporting Goods Stadium, Commerce, Colo.
Toyota Park, Frisco, Tex.

Thoughts?

Maybe this is selfish because I live in Maryland, but I would vote that championship weekend stays at Homewood. If not Homewood than somewhere else in Maryland or the East coast. It’s the biggest hot bed of lacrosse and makes it so easy for young girls, family’s, and fans to travel to these games. It grows the love for game even within people who already play the game. Not as many players and their families will have the time to travel off of the east coast. Navy could be a cool host, but it may be too big.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

hmmm wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:33 pm

Totally agree on that. No reason the D2 and D3 finals couldn’t have been at Homewood Saturday just like they do on the off day for the men’s D1.
Agreed, I’ve always felt like D2 and D3 championships should be on the same site, there’s no reason for them not to be
rc13

Post by rc13 »

user1020 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:24 pm Navy could be a cool host, but it may be too big.
Navy has a great venue, but not ideal for Friday of Memorial Day weekend. I think it was 2005 when the Final Four was there. Nightmarish traffic -- people headed to the beach for the long weekend.
laxphan22

Post by laxphan22 »

I think keeping it at Hopkins (or similar sized venue) is the best bet. Expand the weekend with the D2 and D3 championships like the men do on Saturday. From watching on TV, the atmosphere for the WD1 championship was much better than the men semi-final games (their highest attended event of the weekend). That UCONN stadium looked empty.

I think a better bet would be to do a one site plan for the quarterfinal games. Or a 2 neutral sites in different locations. Obviously TV is the big issue here (I didn't love the Thursday, but it was an improvement to be on ESPNU).

I think anybody that watched the 3 games this weekend would have come away a fan of the game. I think there needs to be a few key rule changes (the draw needs to be fixed!), and this thing could take off like softball has.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

rc13 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:19 am
user1020 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:24 pm Navy could be a cool host, but it may be too big.
Navy has a great venue, but not ideal for Friday of Memorial Day weekend. I think it was 2005 when the Final Four was there. Nightmarish traffic -- people headed to the beach for the long weekend.
The problem with Navy is that graduation is always on Memorial Day weekend. It’s not possible for them to host anything. It’s the reason the men can’t play there either.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

It would be nice to unify all three divisions. While Roanoke is a gracious host for D3 in multiple sports not only lacrosse, it is a total nightmare to get there on Memorial Day weekend. Multiple flights and bus rides for competing teams. Limited rental cars for fans.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

I’d love to see the divisions unified as well. I’d rather see the womens divsions come together before lumping the D1 women onto the mens weekend.

Homewood is a great setting but they ought to consider moving it to other sites as well. The crowds at the BC games this year show that you can get big crowds in other areas.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

westcoastlax wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:18 am It would be nice to unify all three divisions. While Roanoke is a gracious host for D3 in multiple sports not only lacrosse, it is a total nightmare to get there on Memorial Day weekend. Multiple flights and bus rides for competing teams. Limited rental cars for fans.
And really, just how does playing on rural Virginia benefit…. Anybody? If you’re not going to combine at least try to put it where there is a youth tournament being played.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Always have been in favor of the one site, but does someone have the link that can be shared so we can see what is actually required to host the Championship weekend for the NCAA? It seems that Hopkins did a fantastic job this past weekend, but what kind of a strain did it put on the hosting schools small athletic department? Did JHU benefit financially?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:20 am Always have been in favor of the one site, but does someone have the link that can be shared so we can see what is actually required to host the Championship weekend for the NCAA? It seems that Hopkins did a fantastic job this past weekend, but what kind of a strain did it put on the hosting schools small athletic department? Did JHU benefit financially?

Here is the one for D1 WLax: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaaorg/champi ... lac-d1.pdf

Here is a link for manuals for all NCAA championships: https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2019/5/1/bids.aspx
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Looks like Massachusetts will host all six championship games in 2025 and 2026. The D2 and D3 women are not at Gillette but are relatively close by.

https://www.newmacsports.com/general/20 ... 1016mkdw3o
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

lax410 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:22 am Looks like Massachusetts will host all six championship games in 2025 and 2026. The D2 and D3 women are not at Gillette but are relatively close by.

That's a nice setup.

Years ago when the men were at The Linc in Philly, the women were at the soccer stadium in Chester (15 minute drive from the tailgate at The Linc). It was a fantastic weekend.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Carroll81 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:42 am
lax410 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:22 am Looks like Massachusetts will host all six championship games in 2025 and 2026. The D2 and D3 women are not at Gillette but are relatively close by.

That's a nice setup.

Years ago when the men were at The Linc in Philly, the women were at the soccer stadium in Chester (15 minute drive from the tailgate at The Linc). It was a fantastic weekend.
Disagree. Sorry but the D2 and D3 women's teams get sold out again. How is it possible that men can have everyone at the same place at the same time but the women choose not to figure it out.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:24 am
TNLAX wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:20 am Always have been in favor of the one site, but does someone have the link that can be shared so we can see what is actually required to host the Championship weekend for the NCAA? It seems that Hopkins did a fantastic job this past weekend, but what kind of a strain did it put on the hosting schools small athletic department? Did JHU benefit financially?

Here is the one for D1 WLax: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaaorg/champi ... lac-d1.pdf

Here is a link for manuals for all NCAA championships: https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2019/5/1/bids.aspx
thanks for the link. Seems like fairly reasonable requirements.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Carroll81 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:42 am

That's a nice setup.

“Years ago” 😅😅😅

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”