2022 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Tactful Lax

Re: 2022 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

Post by Tactful Lax »

Didn't Cabrini take Salisbury to double overtime this season?
Aces

Post by Aces »

Someone have a scouter on SJF? Looking at SJF schedule I see a very weak Empire 8 compared to years past and these notable games including some very impressive 1 goal games with RIT and Union. That being said it looks as though SJF biggest weakness seems to be in the cage? That being said looks like talented FOGO Post makes up for whatever inconsistencies they have in net. Catholic's run n gun offense is talented, and has the edge in cage IMO. If Catholic can stand up to Post in the faceoff circle and this turns into a shoot out you could see this one being much closer than people think - if i had to pick surpise 1st round upset this week, gimme the points and moneyline on Catholic with a 1st round upset.
FosterLax3

Post by FosterLax3 »

Aces wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:46 pm Someone have a scouter on SJF? Looking at SJF schedule I see a very weak Empire 8 compared to years past and these notable games including some very impressive 1 goal games with RIT and Union. That being said it looks as though SJF biggest weakness seems to be in the cage? That being said looks like talented FOGO Post makes up for whatever inconsistencies they have in net. Catholic's run n gun offense is talented, and has the edge in cage IMO. If Catholic can stand up to Post in the faceoff circle and this turns into a shoot out you could see this one being much closer than people think - if i had to pick surpise 1st round upset this week, gimme the points and moneyline on Catholic with a 1st round upset.
Fisher is a very good team led by Post at FO and some really talented players on offense in Evans, Miller, Mulvihill and more. I personally don't have a scout on Catholic so can't say too much about them but the thing that worries me with Fisher is they have not been in a competitive game since April 6th against Union. If Catholic can keep the game close I can see Fisher struggling with lack of experience being in a real dog fight of a game due to how bad the Empire 8 is. Don't hate your idea that Fisher is on upset watch at all this weekend.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Aces wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:46 pm Someone have a scouter on SJF? Looking at SJF schedule I see a very weak Empire 8 compared to years past and these notable games including some very impressive 1 goal games with RIT and Union. That being said it looks as though SJF biggest weakness seems to be in the cage? That being said looks like talented FOGO Post makes up for whatever inconsistencies they have in net. Catholic's run n gun offense is talented, and has the edge in cage IMO. If Catholic can stand up to Post in the faceoff circle and this turns into a shoot out you could see this one being much closer than people think - if i had to pick surpise 1st round upset this week, gimme the points and moneyline on Catholic with a 1st round upset.
Don’t kid yourself, SJF is good. Nothing wrong that team in goal either. It is true that they have to finish up their season in conference play against weak competition but they loaded up the front end of their schedule with tough games. They beat SLU and Amherst. They are an experienced team.
A Catholic upset is not entirely out of the question though, I just wouldn’t put money on it myself.
overandback

Post by overandback »

FosterLax3 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:58 pm
Fisher is a very good team led by Post at FO and some really talented players on offense in Evans, Miller, Mulvihill and more. I personally don't have a scout on Catholic so can't say too much about them but the thing that worries me with Fisher is they have not been in a competitive game since April 6th against Union. If Catholic can keep the game close I can see Fisher struggling with lack of experience being in a real dog fight of a game due to how bad the Empire 8 is. Don't hate your idea that Fisher is on upset watch at all this weekend.
Hold on to those $$s!
Fair point about SJF's E8 schedule being weaker than usual, but I dont think Catholic will be able to hang with them.
Further, I think SJF have a good shot at upsetting Tufts on Sunday in Medford!

Solid, well-coached squad with arguably the most experience of any team in the tourney.
The core of their team (Post, Mulvihill, Evans, Miller and Depetres) have been there since 2019, when they made their first NCAA appearance beating Gettysburg in OT in 2nd round. (they lost at Williams 17-14 in third round.)
They were back in the tournament last year (lost 19-15 at home to Tufts).
15-2 record with the two losses by one goal to RIT and Union.
Proceed with extreme caution!!!! This team grinds hard.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Tactful Lax wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:52 pm Didn't Cabrini take Salisbury to double overtime this season?
Maybe one close loss to Salisbury means they're going to blow the doors off a good W&L team. Their entire resume says the opposite. Again: they struggled to beat literally every team on their schedule that wasn't a complete cupcake.

Here's the list of those wins:
  • beat Colorado College by 1 (IWU beat them by 7, Grove City and Sewanee by 8, Stevenson by 9)
  • beat Scranton by 2 (Muhlenberg beat them by 4, Catholic by 9, Elizabethtown by 11, Salisbury by 20)
  • beat Hampden-Sydney by 2 (Roanoke beat them by 4, W&L by 6, CNU by 12)
  • beat Cortland by 3 (St. Lawrence beat them by 6, SJF by 12, RIT by 15)
  • beat DeSales by 3 (Arcadia beat them by 7, Stevens by 9, F&M by 13)
  • beat Haverford by 4 (Ithaca beat them by 6, Muhlenberg by 9, Gettysburg by 10, Dickinson by 12)
  • beat Eastern by 4 (Swarthmore beat them by 3, Misericordia by 4, Gettysburg by 12, York by 15, Stevenson by 16)
2022 Cabrini is essentially just a funhouse mirror version of whoever they happen to be playing that day. The next remotely competent team they roll over will be their first.
Last edited by ah23 on Tue May 10, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

MDlacrosse45 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:21 am I am going to say Cabrini rolls W&L. How did W&L even get in the tournament? They got smoked by a Catholic team that had to win their AQ to get in the tournament and only have one good win in beating Lynchburg. You could make an argument that Hampden Sydney should deserve to be in over them. The selection for the D3 tournament doesnt make a ton of sense.
Many of the C bracket teams are popularity contests. But isn’t that what a lot of lax is?
Aces

Post by Aces »

ergit wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:14 pm
Don’t kid yourself, SJF is good. Nothing wrong that team in goal either. It is true that they have to finish up their season in conference play against weak competition but they loaded up the front end of their schedule with tough games. They beat SLU and Amherst. They are an experienced team.
A Catholic upset is not entirely out of the question though, I just wouldn’t put money on it myself.
Sorry shouldve clarified further, I was really just trying to making a bold prediction 1st round upset, hoping to see if anyone else had any thoughts, i know ive heard MIT however I just cant see it being closer than 6 goals
richard

Post by richard »

Anybody sleeping on Fisher will be toast. Don’t fool yourself that top five ranking is legit.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

Laxdad3 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:37 pm
    HappyGilmore wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:41 am
    Nothinbutthelax wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:23 am Great competitive brackets. 600 mile change has now changed the landscape of the tournament is a great way.. forever! Teams that would never schedule meet. Great for D3. Has a Mustang Classic feel
    Who travels the farthest and do they all bus or are the flights over 500 miles?
    Cortland has to travel 468 miles to Brunswick, ME to play St. Lawrence. Haven’t check any other games, but think it might be hard to beat that. Colorado College is also in that bracket.
    Colorado College has by far the most grueling travel schedule of any D3 team (maybe in all of college). They will travel 2,130 miles one way for the Bowdoin game.

They came east three times this season to play Salisbury, Cabrini, CNU, Stevenson and Catholic.

With Covid restrictions the last two years, they have not had many teams make the trip to Colorado Springs. Those teams who made the trip had great weather, beautiful facilities and one of the most picturesque lax fields in the country. The D3 lax world should hold a spring break tourney there each year. It would be great for the D3 game.
    They are flying. Cortland has a six and a half hour bus ride. I would take the flight of the bus ride any day.
    Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

Anyone know how big the travel rosters are and what the breakdown of it is (dressed players, personnel, etc.)
    Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Aces wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:36 pm
    ergit wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:14 pm
    Sorry shouldve clarified further, I was really just trying to making a bold prediction 1st round upset, hoping to see if anyone else had any thoughts, i know ive heard MIT however I just cant see it being closer than 6 goals
    I would love to see MIT take out Amherst. Don't think it will happen, but would be good karma.
    InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Jumbo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:28 pm
    MDlacrosse45 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:21 am I am going to say Cabrini rolls W&L. How did W&L even get in the tournament? They got smoked by a Catholic team that had to win their AQ to get in the tournament and only have one good win in beating Lynchburg. You could make an argument that Hampden Sydney should deserve to be in over them. The selection for the D3 tournament doesnt make a ton of sense.
    Many of the C bracket teams are popularity contests. But isn’t that what a lot of lax is?
    Take a lap dude.
    SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Going on the Record (with some educated and some wild guesses):

-CNU over Sewanee, 22-8
    -Wes over RPI 12-10
    -York over SoVa 19-9
    -Denison over Grove City 14-9
    -Dickinson over Stevens 15-10
    -G'burg over 'Noke 17-10
    -Union over JC 19-8
    -Lynchburg over WNE 14-10
    -SJF over Catholic 16-12
    -Tufts over Maine 26-5
    -W&L over Cabrini 11-10
    -Salisbury over Stockton 15-12
    -Larries over Dragons 15-10
    -Bowdoin over CC 20-10
    -Amherst over MIT 16-15
    -RIT over Albion 25-4
    Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

Goldenboy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:23 pm Anyone know how big the travel rosters are and what the breakdown of it is (dressed players, personnel, etc.)
    Travel roster is 50 total including coaches and medical staff.
    Link below to form coaches have to turn in.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... erForm.pdf
    Laxdad3

Post by Laxdad3 »

Laxdad3 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:45 am
    Jumbo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 am
      Nothinbutthelax wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:23 am Great competitive brackets. 600 mile change has now changed the landscape of the tournament is a great way.. forever! Teams that would never schedule meet. Great for D3. Has a Mustang Classic feel
      Cortland has to travel 468 miles to Brunswick, ME to play St. Lawrence. Haven’t check any other games, but think it might be hard to beat that. Colorado College is also in that bracket.
      Colorado College has by far the most grueling travel schedule of any D3 team (maybe in all of college). They will travel 2,130 miles one way for the Bowdoin game.

They came east three times this season to play Salisbury, Cabrini, CNU, Stevenson and Catholic.

With Covid restrictions the last two years, they have not had many teams make the trip to Colorado Springs. Those teams who made the trip had great weather, beautiful facilities and one of the most picturesque lax fields in the country. The D3 lax world should hold a spring break tourney there each year. It would be great for the D3 game.
      No way would the ncaa hold a spring break touney. It would have to be Colorado doing it. And I doubt teams would sign up for that. Your options are play someone good locally, or travel 2000 miles in March to Colorado where there is still a good chance for snow.
      Obviously, it would have to be CC. Just looked it up, Colorado Spings avg temp in Match, 54 degrees with almost 20 days of sunshine. The east side of the Rockies are awesome in spring. I would take it over any east coast game in March.

Don’t see CC beating Bowdoin but should give them a good game.
      Just heard from a CC contact…this is what the NCAA considers appropriate travel. Leave school, Colorado Springs, at 12:30 in the afternoon on Thursday, put team on three different flights to Boston which arrive at 11:30 Thursday night. Bus to Maine that night (2.5 hours). Practice time, mid morning Friday.

Wow, that is brutal! Come on NCAA! Give those kids a break. That is almost criminal.
      Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

Anyone know why the York quad is playing on Friday And Saturday?
      JustWatching

Post by JustWatching »

One of the teams in the pod's religious beliefs do not allow them to play on Sunday.
      dp68

Post by dp68 »

HomerCoach wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:07 am

No way would the ncaa hold a spring break touney. It would have to be Colorado doing it. And I doubt teams would sign up for that. Your options are play someone good locally, or travel 2000 miles in March to Colorado where there is still a good chance for snow.
        Obviously, it would have to be CC. Just looked it up, Colorado Spings avg temp in Match, 54 degrees with almost 20 days of sunshine. The east side of the Rockies are awesome in spring. I would take it over any east coast game in March.

Game MIGHT be close for the first quarter.
        Might be close until the second faceoff. 8-)
        InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

dp68 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:44 am
        HomerCoach wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:07 am

Game MIGHT be close for the first quarter.
          Might be close until the second faceoff. 8-)
          Bowdoin wins this one easily in the end, and they may even blow them out right away. But nobody for this Bowdoin team has ever played in an NCAA tournament, I’m sure that they need a little time to settle in. 17-9 Polar Bears.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”