2022 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Jumbo

Re: 2022 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

Post by Jumbo »

KnowingWizardofODAC wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:04 pm How in the world is a team like Roanoke(A team that has coaching problems and has no significant wins) getting a bid over a school like St Mary's when St Mary's won their conference and Roanoke got eliminated in the semifinals in embarrassing fashion.
💯 agree. St Mary’s got robbed. They should have been in over Roanoke or W&L
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

ah23 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:06 pm I have been plenty critical of how the selection committee has structured the tourney in years past, but man I like this year's version structurally (not going to wade into the Pool C arguments yet, though I was stunned to hear Roanoke called).

Anyway - interesting OOC matchups that weren't incredibly limited by geography! Competitive roads for all the top seeds! Four NESCAC and Liberty League teams in the tourney...and basically all in different pods, with only one possible in-conference meeting before the semis for each! Am I hallucinating? Definitely not balanced at all in terms of pedigree (right side is STACKED with heavyweights) but hey. I'll take what I can get.

On the subject: the right side of the bracket is fascinating. Likely Salisbury vs. Tufts/SJF in the quarters, then the winner likely faces RIT (or Bowdoin?). Absolutely stacked QF/SF weekend. Who would host a Tufts-Salisbury QF game? Not sure how the hosting works when the tourney gets that far in.
Yeah, love the bracket. Tufts v Salisbury to get to the semis. It is certainly a new way of thinking. No disrespect to SJF tho.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Jumbo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:08 pm
KnowingWizardofODAC wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:04 pm How in the world is a team like Roanoke(A team that has coaching problems and has no significant wins) getting a bid over a school like St Mary's when St Mary's won their conference and Roanoke got eliminated in the semifinals in embarrassing fashion.
St Mary’s has 1 regionally ranked win. It’s over Randolph Macon. They lost to Lynchburg by 11. They play a major cupcake schedule.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:11 pm
ah23 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:06 pm I have been plenty critical of how the selection committee has structured the tourney in years past, but man I like this year's version structurally (not going to wade into the Pool C arguments yet, though I was stunned to hear Roanoke called).

Anyway - interesting OOC matchups that weren't incredibly limited by geography! Competitive roads for all the top seeds! Four NESCAC and Liberty League teams in the tourney...and basically all in different pods, with only one possible in-conference meeting before the semis for each! Am I hallucinating? Definitely not balanced at all in terms of pedigree (right side is STACKED with heavyweights) but hey. I'll take what I can get.

On the subject: the right side of the bracket is fascinating. Likely Salisbury vs. Tufts/SJF in the quarters, then the winner likely faces RIT (or Bowdoin?). Absolutely stacked QF/SF weekend. Who would host a Tufts-Salisbury QF game? Not sure how the hosting works when the tourney gets that far in.
Yeah, love the bracket. Tufts v Salisbury to get to the semis. It is certainly a new way of thinking. No disrespect to SJF tho.
Yes I love the regional diversity of this bracket. Maybe my favorite ever!
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

I would've taken another MAC or Centennial team over 'Noke, St. Mary's would be on the outside but maybe I'd throw them in as well.

I just struggle to find the quality wins on Roanoke's resume, but then again their resume gets boosted by playing against teams in their weaker region, which gives them regionally ranked wins. That was the biggest gripe I have.
richard

Post by richard »

I really like that geography did not get in the way this year. Lynchburg Union possibility is great. Salisbury Tufts/ St JF is nice. CNU Wesleyan/RPI, wow that ain’t easy. York Denison, Bowdoin SLU. All potential interesting inter regional matchup possibilities. Amazing, good job by the committee. I’ve never said that before.
Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

It definitely looks like committee did not take travel into account this year. Only real surprise was Roanoke getting in, but based on regional rankings they were next up. Also region 5 was shut out of pool C, so they got that right. Looks like it will be the best teams in the tournament. Am I missing something in St Mary’s, I don’t see them on any regional ranking, what region are they in?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

richard wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:24 pm I really like that geography did not get in the way this year…. good job by the committee. I’ve never said that before.
+1
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Salisbury/ tufts is the toughest bracket.
York/CNU will be interesting
RIT has the easiest path to the final 4
The union group could have several teams make it to the final 4. Dickinson, Lynchburg, Gettysburg, union,
Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:14 pm
Jumbo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:08 pm
St Mary’s has 1 regionally ranked win. It’s over Randolph Macon. They lost to Lynchburg by 11. They play a major cupcake schedule.
St Mary’s isn’t regionally ranked, no way they can get in, what region are they in?
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

How are host sites for the quarters and semis determined? Is it based on who wins the round of 16 matchups?

Who has the hardest path?

The easiest?

I'm very surprised the ODAC got 3 in but at the same time, I don't really see any teams that were left out that really had better resumes that W&L / Noke. Seems each had 2 solid wins all year but compared to the teams that were left out, I can't really complain with their inclusion. Seems a lot of other teams theoretically should have done well this year but fell flat (Ursinus, F&M, Stevenson, etc.). Best of luck to both teams but each has significant work cut out for them.

CNU gets what I think will be a tough matchup against Wesleyan. NESCAC teams can be hard to prepare for if you don't see them often and this could be a tougher than traditionally expected in round of 16. If CNU wins, they'll be in the final 4 as I don't think York/Denison can beat them this year.

If Salisbury doesn't win it all, this would be the longest stretch under Berkman without a ring (last in '17). With that said, it'd be tough to attend a Salisbury lax alum gathering and be one of the few in the crowd without a ring over across a 30 year period. Wonder if there is any added stress some of the players feel because of that. Not a psychologist but interesting to think about. Just more proof D3 lax is moving into uncharted (and exciting!) territory as the game continues to grow.

Can't wait for Wednesday!
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

Jumbo wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:30 pm Salisbury/ tufts is the toughest bracket.
York/CNU will be interesting
RIT has the easiest path to the final 4
The union group could have several teams make it to the final 4. Dickinson, Lynchburg, Gettysburg, union,
You’ve got it right. Putting SJF, Tufts and Salisbury in the same bracket is criminal.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Just realized something. Assuming the favorites advance on the right, would that mean RIT hosting Salisbury-Tufts in the quarters? Is that the impact of the QF and SF games being played back to back?
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Great competitive brackets. 600 mile change has now changed the landscape of the tournament is a great way.. forever! Teams that would never schedule meet. Great for D3. Has a Mustang Classic feel
Who travels the farthest and do they all bus or are the flights over 500 miles?
ergit

Post by ergit »

ah23 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:04 pm Just realized something. Assuming the favorites advance on the right, would that mean RIT hosting Salisbury-Tufts in the quarters? Is that the impact of the QF and SF games being played back to back?
Correct.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

That’s brutal, was afraid of that being the case. It’s the only thing I absolutely hate about the 2022 bracket: teams don’t get to host their own QF games. AFAIK that the case in all previous years - QFs on Wednesday, semis on Sunday. Hate the change.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:23 am Great competitive brackets. 600 mile change has now changed the landscape of the tournament is a great way.. forever! Teams that would never schedule meet. Great for D3. Has a Mustang Classic feel
Who travels the farthest and do they all bus or are the flights over 500 miles?
Cortland has to travel 468 miles to Brunswick, ME to play St. Lawrence. Haven’t check any other games, but think it might be hard to beat that. Colorado College is also in that bracket.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

A potential match up that is interesting is Wesleyan vs CNU in the second round. CNU struggled mightily against W&Ls zone. Wesleyan is a great zone team with a better O than W&L. It’s an intriguing potential match up to say the least.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

W&L D does not play as a true zone when compared with Wesleyan. W&L has used it but they don’t live and die as does Wesleyan with it. I’m still on the CNU train, although I was a bit surprised by the last Gull game. Maybe they’ve been reading their headlines lately. I also think Salisbury was fired up after a bad loss to CNU. I think CNU will be fine against Wesleyan due to the shooters they have, they finish at a high rate. Hopefully the loss to Salisbury has made them refocus their efforts. They’ve been a fun program to watch the last 5 years as they’ve progressed, same with York. I’m still surprised W&L made it, glad for the seniors they have a shot at redemption. Cabrini is a winnable game for them, the next round would not
CNU has the easiest bracket to get to semis
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Love these Brackets but that Dickinson Union bracket is going to be a bear. Dickinson probably playing Gettysburg for a 3rd time in a month. The right side of the bracket is crazy with potentially, Salisbury playing Tufts and RIT playing Bowdin, and the winners playing each other the next day. imagine if you are Salisbury and you beat Tufts and then have to get ready for RIT the next day, OMFG. I think it will be very tough for either Dickinson or Union to win their game and then beat CNU the next day. The quarter-final matchup could be epic.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”