Bracketology - Always a sign The Tournament is near

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Bracketology - Always a sign The Tournament is near

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Does the Rutgers win over Northwestern disrupt NU’s seeding? If so, how so?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

jeremyfallis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:31 pm They clearly view Florida's ceiling as higher than SBU and Loyola because they proved doing so, and the RPI backs that up, even if only by a place or two. Not saying it's right, just saying that's what appears to be happening.
Just can't agree with this statement...if the seeding committee really thinks that, they aren't seeing things clearly.

SBU 14-2 with a 1 goal loss to Cuse
Loyola 17-1 with a 1 goal loss to Cuse
Florida 14-4 with a 4 goal win over Cuse

IMO, you cant use one common opponent to evaluate a season. Transitive properties don't work in sports.

Are the 4 losses that Florida had against good teams better than 1 or 2 losses against good teams? If so, then Virginia should be ranked ahead of SBU/Loyola....they had 9 really good losses :roll:

Both teams beat the "higher ceiling", 4 loss, Gators... that should count for something.

BTW. I understand that you were channeling the committee and it wasn't your opinion necessarily. :D
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:48 am
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:31 pm They clearly view Florida's ceiling as higher than SBU and Loyola because they proved doing so, and the RPI backs that up, even if only by a place or two. Not saying it's right, just saying that's what appears to be happening.
Just can't agree with this statement...if the seeding committee really thinks that, they aren't seeing things clearly.

SBU 14-2 with a 1 goal loss to Cuse
Loyola 17-1 with a 1 goal loss to Cuse
Florida 14-4 with a 4 goal win over Cuse

IMO, you cant use one common opponent to evaluate a season. Transitive properties don't work in sports.

Are the 4 losses that Florida had against good teams better than 1 or 2 losses against good teams? If so, then Virginia should be ranked ahead of SBU/Loyola....they had 9 really good losses :roll:

Both teams beat the "higher ceiling", 4 loss, Gators... that should count for something.

BTW. I understand that you were channeling the committee and it wasn't your opinion necessarily. :D
Great post, Doc. Nice use of the sarcastica font, too.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

SEC championship game today, sorry I mean the AAC, Florida v Vanderbilt. Would be fun to see an upset today and really throw another monkey wrench into the tournament selection.
OuttaNowhereWregget

A peek behind closed doors as The Committee cooks up this years RPI/SOS seeds and bubble team dance card awards.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

TNLAX wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:13 am SEC championship game today, sorry I mean the AAC, Florida v Vanderbilt. Would be fun to see an upset today and really throw another monkey wrench into the tournament selection.
Well, seeing Florida lose is always strangely satisfying. And it would end this nonsense about them getting a seed. Go Commodores!!
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... id-thieves

This morning's update:
1. UNC
2. BC
3. MD
4. NU
5. Syracuse
6. Rutgers
7. Florida
8. Stony Brook
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:51 am https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... id-thieves

This morning's update:
1. UNC
2. BC
3. MD
4. NU
5. Syracuse
6. Rutgers
7. Florida
8. Stony Brook
Asinine that Northwestern can lose two straight to other seeded teams yet not move out of the four spot. Even this from the article isn't very encouraging for other teams hoping to move up after NU's double stumble:

"NU will likely stay at the No. 4 seed but could drop depending on what the committee values."

And folks wonder why I scoff at RPI/SOS.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Florida seeded above a team that beat it at home, and above another with a single loss that likewise beat Florida head to head. That’s just stupid.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:46 am Florida seeded above a team that beat it at home, and above another with a single loss that likewise beat Florida head to head. That’s just stupid.
Indeed
user1020

Post by user1020 »

hmmm wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:51 am https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... id-thieves

This morning's update:
1. UNC
2. BC
3. MD
4. NU
5. Syracuse
6. Rutgers
7. Florida
8. Stony Brook
1 UNC
2 BC
3 UMD
4 SBU
5 Loyola
6 NU
7 Cuse
8 Rutgers

Discussion?
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

I agree 100% with Jeremy’s field of 26. If I were on the committee I would have:
UNC
BC
Md
NW
Syr
SB
Loy
Rutg

Florida odd team out thanks to Rutgers win. We’ve all in agreement (including Jeremy I believe) about Florida at 6. Whether they, Rutgers, or Loyola are the last team seeded is only drama left.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

If Loyola isn’t seeded that is not a very fun 2nd round game for the seeded team.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Denver are currently losing to Georgetown 12-7 at halftime. If Georgetown can hang on for the second half and steal the AQ it gives the committee even more to think about!
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Mount beats Bryant for NEC championship
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

laxlaxlax wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:16 pm Denver are currently losing to Georgetown 12-7 at halftime. If Georgetown can hang on for the second half and steal the AQ it gives the committee even more to think about!
Serious deja vu on that one. Would have been 2nd time in 3 years GT stole a did with an OT win over Denver. In 2019 they stole it from Duke (should have been Stanford but that’s a story fir another day). Suspect UConn is the squad feeling fortunate today.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

jeremyfallis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:26 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:05 pm
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:32 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:04 am
jeremyfallis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:58 am There is a lot going on there! The Top 10 Average Opponent RPI ranking is what you want. The value directly to the right is the average RPI of their top 10 opponents. For example, Virginia is the No. 1 SOS with an average opponent ranking of 7.2 among their top 10 opponents entering this week's games.
But if I want to view only the current SOS rankings—which page would I view for that? Could you set it up and then include the link of that page and setting in your response? Thanks in advance.
It's all on the same page. Click on the SOS tab and it'll sort the teams for you.

https://lacrossereference.com/stats/rpi-d1-women
That's different from the link you provided yesterday:

https://stats.ncaa.org/selection_rankin ... ties/26304

I've used the lacrosse reference one before. According to the laxref site, the NCAA SOS gives the rankings of the Group of 5 I've been tracking as:

15 Florida
18 JMU
19 Stony Brook
20 Duke
27 Loyola

Is that found on the NCAA stats page you provided yesterday?
The NCAA only updates every Monday morning. Lacrossereference.com site updates quite frequently, and the data is reliable (an exact replica of the formulas the NCAA uses).

Also -- that Rutgers score :shock:
Any finals thoughts before the selections tonight?
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Only possible bid stealer left is Yale. I’ll stand pat with my opinion that Jeremy Fallis has the at large teams right. Rutgers winning today would cement them as a seed. If I were on the committee, using their stated criteria, my 6-7-8 seeds would be SB-Loy-Rutg with a Rutg loss, and Rutg-SB-Loy with a Rutg win. But I’m not on the committee so I am prepared for Florida to be at 6 based on Jeremy’s ‘inside baseball’
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

crazyhorse wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:03 pm Only possible bid stealer left is Yale. I’ll stand pat with my opinion that Jeremy Fallis has the at large teams right. Rutgers winning today would cement them as a seed. If I were on the committee, using their stated criteria, my 6-7-8 seeds would be SB-Loy-Rutg with a Rutg loss, and Rutg-SB-Loy with a Rutg win. But I’m not on the committee so I am prepared for Florida to be at 6 based on Jeremy’s ‘inside baseball’
Just personal opinion but I think Loyola is deserving of a seed. This probably doesn’t have a lot of weight, but I also think Penn’s somewhat unexpected season hurt a lot of teams that scheduled them and get their SOS through OOC games.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Completely agree on Loyola, they deserve a seed. 18-1 with a win over Florida and a one goal loss to ‘Cuse is enough IMO.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”